Thread: Guess where?

Default Re: Guess where?

You devious woman! I see what you did there!

Is that the Cochem castle in Rheinland-Palatinate? If it isn't, that's okay. Now I have the privilege of knowing every castle from Poland, Monaco, Hesse, and damn Indonesia.

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

Its the Reichsburg Cochem, yes.

Your turn. ^^
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

An awesome picture and an exceptionally good entry to the competition because of its trick question nature. Took me some effort.

Now anything I can post is a bit underwhelming. Let's go with a more genuine guessing entry, because this one may be hard to research.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen took an arrow to the knee

Torshavn, Faroe Islands.

I don't know what amazing stuff you did, but you got it! Your turn.

Quote Originally Posted by Septentrionalis View Post
    An awesome picture and an exceptionally good entry to the competition because of its trick question nature. Took me some effort.

Only a pic with an different viewpoint (not from the Mosella vally instead from a neighbour hill). And voila its not that easy recognizable anymore.

I noticed that too! Once I thought I had a match, I had to look at several different pictures before I was sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Septentrionalis View Post
    I don't know what amazing stuff you did, but you got it! Your turn.
    It looked Scandinavian and I had a feeling it was either an island town or perhaps somewhere far off in northern Norway. For it to be featured here it had to be somewhat noteworthy/significant for its region and I visited most of those in northern Norway when I went to the North Cape so the only remaining possibility I could think of there was Vadsĝ. I decided to try the islands first though and the Faroe Islands were my second attempt, the first was me being dumb and googling Svalbard despite knowing (and realising the moment I pressed enter) it's way less green, more mountainous and featured here relatively recently.

Forgot to post the next one:
    Last edited by lolIsuck; June 03, 2021 at 06:28 AM. Reason: Nexp pic added

North Atalantic because of Water Color. Iceland?

Quote Originally Posted by lolIsuck View Post
    It looked Scandinavian and I had a feeling it was either an island town or perhaps somewhere far off in northern Norway. For it to be featured here it had to be somewhat noteworthy/significant for its region and I visited most of those in northern Norway when I went to the North Cape so the only remaining possibility I could think of there was Vadsĝ. I decided to try the islands first though and the Faroe Islands were my second attempt, the first was me being dumb and googling Svalbard despite knowing (and realising the moment I pressed enter) it's way less green, more mountainous and featured here relatively recently.
    Thank you for satisfying my curiosity! I love reading about how people reason these things. As for your entry, it really escapes my attempts of discovery. Three things are out of the ordinary here. The steep mountain side does not fit well with the green and fertile look of the land, and the community is oddly tight and round. In the remote North Atlantic settlement scene, the villages are usually spread thin around the coastline, and it is hard to find something like that in the picture. Interesting indeed.

Well, you aren't even remotely close (nothing really is though to be fair), you're looking at the wrong hemisphere.

Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity
    took an arrow to the knee

Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland

Is it a town on the south island of New Zealand?
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.
    In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

It is not.

Tristan da Cunha, St. Helena?
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

It is indeed, this is the main settlement of the island named Edinburgh of the Seven Seas. It is considered the most remote permanent settlement on earth over 2000 km away from the next place.

The "nothing is really close, actually" remark put me on the right track.

is this in Belgium?

Nope. And when this was built I don't think anything of note was in Belgium at all.

I cannot say for sure, but I don't know what else it could be but that ancient citadel in Aleppo, pictured from another side than the usual entrance gate.

Nope, but you're getting (relatively) close.