Thread: Guess where?

Default Re: Guess where?

Digging further, I think this must be a Silesian Stave Church, but for the life of me I cannot figure out which one. Every search I do gives me the same dozen churches, from a thousand different angles. Maybe someone else will have more luck, but I will have to get to work for today, and can maybe try digging again this evening.
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

Muizer's Avatar member 3519
    Patrician Artifex Magistrate

Not Silesia, I'm afraid, though you're not far off. At the time of construction, it would have been in the same country.
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

Stahndorf, Germany. Last hint was really helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Maximinus Thrax View Post
    Stahndorf, Germany. Last hint was really helpful.
    That is correct. It's a wooden chapel modeled after Scandinavian Stave churches. Constructed in the early 20th century, it has jugendstil/art nouveau accents.

Perhaps it's best known as a film location for the Netflix series "Dark", which I suppose none of you have seen
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

If I may fish for a hint, Maximinus, are these actual churches that are open-air, or are they just cool buildings?
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

The leftmost one is the actual church, the one in the middle is a gazebo, while the rightmost one is a campanile (I think).

I suppose no one is playing

I am playing and I have tried this seriously on two occasions (in addition to idle tries), looking for churches and monasteries country by country in areas I think are relevant.

This wooden church complex is not in Scandinavia. If you research on Google, the area/country is quite visible in the search results.

Quote Originally Posted by Septentrionalis View Post
    I am playing and I have tried this seriously on two occasions (in addition to idle tries), looking for churches and monasteries country by country in areas I think are relevant.
    Odd, for me this shows up when I google just "wooden churches"!

Quote Originally Posted by Muizer View Post
    Odd, for me this shows up when I google just "wooden churches"!
    You knew where it was and didn't take it? I made the mistake of being too specific with my searches.

It is Bârsana monastery in Romania.

Well done! Your turn.

Quote Originally Posted by Septentrionalis View Post
    You knew where it was and didn't take it? I made the mistake of being too specific with my searches.
    Yeah I already had 2 other puzzles waiting for an answer. Tbh I don't know if I could have been much more specific, except maybe for the shape of the crosses.

Tbh I don't know if I could have been much more specific, except maybe for the shape of the crosses.
    I must confess that somehow the architecture and the vegetation made me think that this is somewhere in the Pacific, such as Malaysia.

Anyhow, here's the new one.

Salty Lake.

I've seen something like this before, a red salt lake. Usually located in deserts though. This one isn't. Is it the lake of Torrevieja in Spain?

Quote Originally Posted by Maximinus Thrax View Post
    Salty Lake.
    The Great Salt Lake in the US? No, this is not it.

I've seen something like this before, a red salt lake. Usually located in deserts though. This one isn't. Is it the lake of Torrevieja in Spain?
    Yes! Those great white mounds on the other end are salt that gets loaded into ships and hauled to the Nordics.

This is the location where the salt that countries like Finland spread on their streets and roads in the winter to prevent icy conditions come from. For environmental reasons, salting the roads has been in decline since the top years of late 1980s (150 000 tons of salt laid on the roads in Finland alone), but it is still around 80 000 - 120 000 tons a year. The red color comes from bacteria and algae and is said to be the thing that colors the local flamingoes pink as they eat crustaceans from the lake, but I am not sure if that is really true.

Tnx. Something more traditional this time. Have fun!

Different viewpoint