Thread: Guess where?

Default Re: Guess where?

Quote Originally Posted by Ältester der Motten View Post
    I will say Egypt because this looks like the Sinai.
    Nice to see some new faces in the competition; it's been the same usual suspects for a while.

The way understood is that Maghreb is on the wrong continent, which makes Egypt on the wrong continent as well. This will have to be somewhere east of Europe, I think.

Ältester der Motten's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Septentrionalis View Post
    Nice to see some new faces in the competition; it's been the same usual suspects for a while.

The way understood is that Maghreb is on the wrong continent, which makes Egypt on the wrong continent as well. This will have to be somewhere east of Europe, I think.
    Generally true, but Sinai is counted as Asian. It's that horn jutting out from underneath the Levante.

Muizer's Avatar member 3519
    Patrician Artifex

It's definitely in Asia
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

This really cries out the Silk Road to me, and the domes bring me to modern Uzbekistan. I need to do some more research, though.

It is this square structure some 40 kilometers north of Esmailabad near Ravar in Kerman, Iran.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

A really good entry. In the middle of nowhere, only to be found by finding the right travel blogs. Surely you have not been there yourself?!

Patrician Artifex

You have found it

No, I've never been there. Just thought I'd post a pic of a caravanserai and this one stood out because of the otherworldly topography.

Sadly I can once again not rep you for it. I'd be grateful if someone else could.
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

Sept is still unrept but Sept rept Iskar for introducing the concept of caravanserai that eventually lead to the discovery.

The next one is a famous view with some exposure in popular culture.

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

Repped.
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

Ältester der Motten's Avatar Primicerius

Uh.. Krak des Chevaliers? Seems too easy but it fits the description, geography and stonework on other pics I saw.

Edit: I must be wrong, the topography and lack of nearby river on Google Maps doesn't line up at all.
    Last edited by Ältester der Motten; September 02, 2021 at 06:02 PM.

It is not that, and I think that the thing that looks a lot like water in the image is actually some kind mineral, possibly at the bottom of an ancient riverbed. At least I think there should not be flowing water in this area.

Patrician Artifex

Zabriskie point, Death Valley?

Quote Originally Posted by Muizer View Post
    Zabriskie point, Death Valley?
    That is correct, good job! Only a few kilometers from the recently featured Furnace Creek. I'll let that area be for a while.

There is a movie by the name of Zabriskie Point, for which Pink Floyd made the musical score.

Patrician Artifex

I get a strong Himalayan vibe. The mountains to the left look a lot like Trishul, and the ones to the right as Lhotse. But I cannot get a positive identification on even the mountains let a lone the point of photography.

These mountains are tricky, because directions and angles of photography make such a great difference. Seasons and snow cover do too.

Patrician Artifex

I get a strong Himalayan vibe.
    Yes, it is part of the Himalaya.

Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity
    took an arrow to the knee

Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland

Is it the Nanga Parbat?
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.
    In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

Patrician Artifex

Nope

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen took an arrow to the knee

Kedarnath peak and dome?

This is Karjiang on the Tibetan and Burman border. A mountain that apparently has not been climbed yet.

Patrician Artifex

This is Karjiang on the Tibetan and Burman border. A mountain that apparently has not been climbed yet.
    Close, but no.