Thread: Guess where?

  1. #9701
    Cookiegod's Avatar Civus Divus Ex Clibane
    Citizen

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In Derc's schizophrenic mind
    Posts
    4,302

    Default Re: Guess where?

    I suspect the category is bronze age hill site and my guess is the capital of Troy's overlord at the time: Hattusa.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie
    Qualis noncives pereo! #justiceforcookie #egalitéfraternitécookié #CLM

  2. #9702
    Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity
    Magistrate

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland
    Posts
    6,369

    Default Re: Guess where?

    The category is correct, the particular guess is not.
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

    On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

    I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.
    In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

  3. #9703
    Cookiegod's Avatar Civus Divus Ex Clibane
    Citizen

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In Derc's schizophrenic mind
    Posts
    4,302

    Default Re: Guess where?

    Tell Megiddo. You fooled me once with the Ur Zikkurat. I now know you don't post fringe stuff

    Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie
    Qualis noncives pereo! #justiceforcookie #egalitéfraternitécookié #CLM

  4. #9704
    Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity
    Magistrate

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland
    Posts
    6,369

    Default Re: Guess where?

    That's right Tel Megiddo, namesake of Armageddon and site of the first historically recorded battle. In a way, the beginning of military history.
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

    On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

    I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.
    In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

  5. #9705
    Cookiegod's Avatar Civus Divus Ex Clibane
    Citizen

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In Derc's schizophrenic mind
    Posts
    4,302

    Default Re: Guess where?


    Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie
    Qualis noncives pereo! #justiceforcookie #egalitéfraternitécookié #CLM

  6. #9706

    Default Re: Guess where?

    Cookie must have been fairly drunk if even his camera had a trouble focusing any better.

  7. #9707
    Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praepositus
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Deep within the dark german forest
    Posts
    5,832

    Default Re: Guess where?

    Looks like a city in Italy but i guess Iskar knows it.
    Being like you are
    Well this is something else, who would comprehend?
    But some that do, lay claim Divine purpose blesses them
    That's not what I believe, and it doesn't matter anyway
    A part of your soul ties you to the next world
    Or maybe to the last, but I'm still not sure

    VNV Nation - Illusion


  8. #9708
    Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity
    Magistrate

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland
    Posts
    6,369

    Default Re: Guess where?

    The curved narrow street and the late-romanesque style of the belfry remind me of the eastern Adriatic coast, like Dalmatia or Istria, but I haven't found any matches so far.
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

    On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

    I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.
    In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

  9. #9709
    Cookiegod's Avatar Civus Divus Ex Clibane
    Citizen

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In Derc's schizophrenic mind
    Posts
    4,302

    Default Re: Guess where?

    Quote Originally Posted by Morticia Iunia Bruti View Post
    Looks like a city in Italy but i guess Iskar knows it.
    I, too, would be surprised if the place in question hasn't been on Iskar's travel bucket list at one point or another.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie
    Qualis noncives pereo! #justiceforcookie #egalitéfraternitécookié #CLM

  10. #9710
    Ältester der Motten's Avatar Primicerius
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    North Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
    Posts
    3,639

    Default Re: Guess where?

    I do feel like it should be somewhere between Czechia and Montenegro, but narrow streets exist across all of Europe, and slender Romanesque churches do too. This could just as well be Munich, Murcia or Tallin (theoretically speaking - I'm confident this isn't Munich in particular!).
    Last edited by Ältester der Motten; September 08, 2021 at 09:30 PM.

  11. #9711
    Muizer's Avatar member 3519
    Patrician Artifex

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    10,020

    Default Re: Guess where?

    Bucket you say? Modena?

    Yep, crossing of via Carteria and Sant Eufemia
    Last edited by Muizer; September 09, 2021 at 06:44 PM.
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

  12. #9712

    Default Re: Guess where?

    Quote Originally Posted by Muizer View Post
    Bucket you say? Modena?

    Yep, crossing of via Carteria and Sant Eufemia
    How do you do that?! I gave up on this one.

  13. #9713
    Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity
    Magistrate

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland
    Posts
    6,369

    Default Re: Guess where?

    Ah, I was suspecting that a bucket in italics might point to a bucket in italy, but didn't know of the particular Bucket of Modena.
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

    On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

    I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.
    In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

  14. #9714
    Muizer's Avatar member 3519
    Patrician Artifex

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    10,020

    Default Re: Guess where?

    Quote Originally Posted by Septentrionalis View Post
    How do you do that?! I gave up on this one.
    I'd never have guessed it from the content of the picture, but I knew of the "War of the Bucket". I actually entered that myself for another quiz not too long ago.
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

  15. #9715
    Muizer's Avatar member 3519
    Patrician Artifex

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    10,020

    Default Re: Guess where?

    I'll just post the next one then

    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

  16. #9716
    Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity
    Magistrate

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland
    Posts
    6,369

    Default Re: Guess where?

    The Sultan's Palace on Zanzibar?
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

    On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

    I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.
    In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

  17. #9717
    lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen Moderator Emeritus

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Heerlen, Limburg
    Posts
    13,449

    Default Re: Guess where?

    I came to the same conclusion last night.

  18. #9718

    Default Re: Guess where?

    is this in Britain??

  19. #9719
    Muizer's Avatar member 3519
    Patrician Artifex

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    10,020

    Default Re: Guess where?

    Quote Originally Posted by Iskar View Post
    The Sultan's Palace on Zanzibar?
    That's it.
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

  20. #9720
    Cookiegod's Avatar Civus Divus Ex Clibane
    Citizen

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In Derc's schizophrenic mind
    Posts
    4,302

    Default Re: Guess where?

    Apologies for the delayed reply. Yes Muizer was right and got rep. The tower in the background is the Ghirlandina. It's a very old one, very tall and one of the most famous towers in Italy generally. The tower is tilted slightly (less than the tower of Pisa since they didn't build on swampy terrain, but still for similar reasons and like that of Pisa it's tilting towards the duomo). I assumed it or at least the bucket would be more well known.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie
    Qualis noncives pereo! #justiceforcookie #egalitéfraternitécookié #CLM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •