Thread: Guess where?

Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity
    took an arrow to the knee

Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland

Default Re: Guess where?

Just a mathematician with a fascination for architecture and the bronze age. The latter in particular because it is the period that carries the nuclei of many concepts and structures (hierarchies, division of labour, cities, conflicts, trade, ...) that define what these days we call "our civilisation".
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.
    In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

Muizer's Avatar member 3519
    Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Septentrionalis View Post
    I am not hesitant to let you know that I worked seriously hard to come with a possible identification. Tap O'Noth near Rhynie in Aberdeenshire, Scotland. You managed to pick a funky color picture that threw me off.

If I got it right, it is indeed a Scottish bronze age fort, and the second highest in Scotland, I read. Now I must ask you after so many rounds of this competition. Are you an archaelogist, architect, or historian of some sort?
    It is Tap o' Noth. Mainly know now for being a large early medieval (5th-6th century AD) settlement.
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

Thank you both. Really cool to get some background on Iskar's amazing skills in identifying buildings and sites.

I may have misinterpreted what I read. So there is archaeological evidence of settlement from the bronze age, but the actual remains visible in the picture are from a later time then.

Here is the next one, and I give you two pictures to work with.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

The only accessible anchoring point and the ruins of the former settlement on the now uninhabited Hirta Island in Scotland.
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

Correct, although usually known by the name of the groups of islands, St Kilda, the name of which has nothing to do with a saint but is understood to be a Norse word. A unique and distant place with a very interesting habitation history; I recommend reading more.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Kilda,_Scotland

Your turn, Iskar!

Edit: please rep Iskar for me!

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

Iskar repped.

I remember reading this in February, but didn't recognize the island again:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland...lands-55995799
    Last edited by Morticia Iunia Bruti; August 06, 2021 at 02:20 PM.
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

Thanks, Morty

Patrician Artifex

Toronto?
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

Yes, that was fast, but one should expect the divine cat of Bubastis to know everything anyhow.

Took that picture myself when I was there almost three years ago, in the now completely surreal world before the pandemic.

Patrician Artifex

That tower is a pretty famous landmark.

I have recently done some extensive reading on the Shetland islands and looked at countless sceneries from there, and I am almost certain that this is from Shetland. A perfect match on the landscape. Alas, I haven't found it yet.

Okay, if it is Shetland, it is almost impossible to locate because there are hundreds of small beaches like that.

Patrician Artifex

It's not the Shetland Islands, though I understand why you thought so.

Because my searches turn up nothing, I doubt that this beach can be found by any conventional means.

Patrician Artifex

It's on a group of islands in the Atlantic. If you know which islands, you should be able to find the beach.

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen took an arrow to the knee

Barnard Memorial Museum/Coffin Harbour, New Island, Falklands.

Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by lolIsuck View Post
    Barnard Memorial Museum/Coffin Harbour, New Island, Falklands.
    That's right, over to you!

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen took an arrow to the knee

Took me a whole while to find that one, mostly because I had forgotten the Falklands when thinking of island groups in the Atlantic. The Canary Islands are too arid and the Azores and Faroe Islands too green (and the building doesn't really fit the style of either). I thought I had it with the Praia de Atalanta on one of the Cape Verde islands because Google gave me a beach with a shipwreck but the rest didn't fit at all.

Last edited by lolIsuck; August 10, 2021 at 04:51 PM.

Patrician Artifex

Dieppe

You need to use less detailed images It says something something Dieppe on the plaque on the right.