Thread: Guess where?

Cookiegod's Avatar CIVUS DIVUS EX CLIBANO
    Citizen

Default Re: Guess where?

I suspect the category is bronze age hill site and my guess is the capital of Troy's overlord at the time: Hattusa.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie
    Qualis noncives pereo! #justiceforcookie #egalitéfraternitécookié #CLM

Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity
    Moderator Emeritus

Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland

The category is correct, the particular guess is not.
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.
    In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

Citizen

Tell Megiddo. You fooled me once with the Ur Zikkurat. I now know you don't post fringe stuff

From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie

Moderator Emeritus

That's right Tel Megiddo, namesake of Armageddon and site of the first historically recorded battle. In a way, the beginning of military history.
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

Citizen

Cookie must have been fairly drunk if even his camera had a trouble focusing any better.

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

Looks like a city in Italy but i guess Iskar knows it.
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

Moderator Emeritus

The curved narrow street and the late-romanesque style of the belfry remind me of the eastern Adriatic coast, like Dalmatia or Istria, but I haven't found any matches so far.

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Morticia Iunia Bruti View Post
    Looks like a city in Italy but i guess Iskar knows it.
    I, too, would be surprised if the place in question hasn't been on Iskar's travel bucket list at one point or another.

Ältester der Motten's Avatar Primicerius

I do feel like it should be somewhere between Czechia and Montenegro, but narrow streets exist across all of Europe, and slender Romanesque churches do too. This could just as well be Munich, Murcia or Tallin (theoretically speaking - I'm confident this isn't Munich in particular!).
    Last edited by Ältester der Motten; September 08, 2021 at 08:30 PM.

Muizer's Avatar member 3519
    Patrician Artifex Magistrate

Bucket you say? Modena?

Yep, crossing of via Carteria and Sant Eufemia
    Last edited by Muizer; September 09, 2021 at 05:44 PM.
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

Quote Originally Posted by Muizer View Post
    Bucket you say? Modena?

Yep, crossing of via Carteria and Sant Eufemia
    How do you do that?! I gave up on this one.

Moderator Emeritus

Ah, I was suspecting that a bucket in italics might point to a bucket in italy, but didn't know of the particular Bucket of Modena.

Quote Originally Posted by Septentrionalis View Post
    How do you do that?! I gave up on this one.
    I'd never have guessed it from the content of the picture, but I knew of the "War of the Bucket". I actually entered that myself for another quiz not too long ago.
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

I'll just post the next one then

Moderator Emeritus

The Sultan's Palace on Zanzibar?

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen Moderator Emeritus

I came to the same conclusion last night.

is this in Britain??

Quote Originally Posted by Iskar View Post
    The Sultan's Palace on Zanzibar?
    That's it.

Citizen

Apologies for the delayed reply. Yes Muizer was right and got rep. The tower in the background is the Ghirlandina. It's a very old one, very tall and one of the most famous towers in Italy generally. The tower is tilted slightly (less than the tower of Pisa since they didn't build on swampy terrain, but still for similar reasons and like that of Pisa it's tilting towards the duomo). I assumed it or at least the bucket would be more well known.