Thread: Guess where?

Muizer's Avatar member 3519
    Patrician Artifex

Default Re: Guess where?

It's a little sharper now. Still not great. The blue feature could be a staircase lock, but if it is it's not one I could find.
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity
    took an arrow to the knee

Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland

No locks around there, as far as I know. The first step is really to identify the lake in the background.
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.
    In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

Balaton in Hungary?

Nope, though the Latitude is almost the same.
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen took an arrow to the knee

The two big candidates are obviously Lac Léman and the Bodensee (or lake Geneva and Constance) but I can't really find anything looking like the pic. The Italian lakes and some of the Swiss lakes have pretty steep shorelines for much of their coast so they don't seem to fit.

I have recently been to Austria.

Something tells me this is a view over Lindau to Bodensee, but I haven't found the point of photography.

Consider from what height this photo must have been taken from and the topography in the Hinterland of Lindau.

PS: You are getting close, though.
    Last edited by Iskar; September 23, 2021 at 09:19 AM.

Cookiegod's Avatar CIVUS DIVUS EX CLIBANO
    Citizen

Given your hint I'd say Bregenz, and googling Aussichtspunkt Bregenz gave me the Gebhardsberg, Fluh and Pfänder. Given the location of the river I'd say it's the Gebhardsberg, but then I didn't see any platform there. Pfänder has a platform, but from google maps it looks kinda different. Gnyaaah, I'll let someone else solve it definitively. As far as I'm concerned Bregenz is where I tank my car and not much else.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie
    Qualis noncives pereo! #justiceforcookie #egalitéfraternitécookié #CLM

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen took an arrow to the knee

Panoramarestaurant Karren, give the point to Cookie.

That's right. The Karren is the mountain next to Dornbirn, the neighbouring city of Bregenz, and has an excellent view over the Alpenrhein and the eastern end of the Bodensee.

Citizen

thanks for the point lolisuck.

We're searching for the place the photo was taken from. As a hint (I suspect it's not needed at all, but still) I can give you this: My most recent time (hours!) spent next to the lake were not spent there by choice.

From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie

Patrician Artifex

Mount Pilatus?
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

Ältester der Motten's Avatar Primicerius

I'm surprised the previous picture was alpine. It looked a lot flatter. The new one all I can tell is it's probably alpine.

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Muizer View Post
    Mount Pilatus?
    Correct. View is on the Vierwaldstättersee which I had a fun time staring at whilst in a traffic jam that with very few intermissions lasted the entire length of Switzerland.

Patrician Artifex

A really curious setting. The mountains and the waterways take me to Yukon but the vegation is no match.

Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Septentrionalis View Post
    the vegation is no match.
    Well spotted. Here's a closer look at that

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

New Zealand?
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Morticia Iunia Bruti View Post
    New Zealand?
    Yes