Thread: Guess where?

Default Re: Guess where?

Quote Originally Posted by Septentrionalis View Post
    Because my searches turn up nothing, I doubt that this beach can be found by any conventional means.
    If there is an award for the douchiest comment in the competition, I surely qualify. As soon as Falklands was revelead I tried my search terms I had used for Shetlands , Orkneys, Faroes, and a zillion other places, but this time with the name Falklands. And boom; there it was on the first page of results.

Muizer's Avatar member 3519
    Patrician Artifex Magistrate

If there is an award for the douchiest comment in the competition, I surely qualify. As soon as Falklands was revelead I tried my search terms I had used for Shetlands , Orkneys, Faroes, and a zillion other places, but this time with the name Falklands. And boom; there it was on the first page of results.
    I think apart from "shipwreck', a "remote island in the mid to high latitudes" is about as much as can be deduced from the pic and I expected you'd need to check the likely candidates separately. Pity you missed Falklands. It's perhaps not the first candidate to think of, but it's not super obscure either.
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity
    Moderator Emeritus

Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland

I wouldn't be too depressed about it. Probably not even Maggie Thatcher thought about these islands until she needed them for her reelection.
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.
    In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen Moderator Emeritus

It is indeed Dieppe, found it to be a bit of an odd town.

Quote Originally Posted by Iskar View Post
    You need to use less detailed images It says something something Dieppe on the plaque on the right.
    You have excellent eyes mate. And I can't help it my phone's camera apparently takes such detailed images.

"Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

No takers? Whatever you're looking for, it's not a temple complex or religious space.

Moderator Emeritus

Mandalay palace in Myanmar?
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

Is correct. I don't think I'd have gotten that myself tbh. Hats off.

Quote Originally Posted by Muizer View Post
    Is correct. I don't think I'd have gotten that myself tbh. Hats off.
    Nice job, Iskar. I was in the right area but could not figure it out. The pagoda-like structure to the right looks highly distinctive in the sense that the lower floors or levels get progressively wider. That is not a common feature of pagodas as far as I know, but still i could not put my finger on it.

Moderator Emeritus

If you search for "palace golden pagoda" and scroll through the first examples of too famous golden pagodas from elsewhere you eventually get a picture showing the distinctive white pavillion in the centre of the image above with the pagoda in the background. I was astonished to learn that despite the high roofs none of the buildings has more than one storey ad the number of roof-steps only indicates the ceremonial importance of the building.

Here's the next one:

Inishmaan, Ireland?

Moderator Emeritus

Indeed, that was amazingly fast and accurate! Could someone rep Muizer for me?

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

Done.
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

Really distinctive architecture in the cathedral, but as I don't have words for the style or the details, I find myself unable to locate it.

I don't know if there's a word for the style, but you should be able to find it if you identify in what way it's distinctive.

Moderator Emeritus

The cathedral looks very distinctive indeed, but I cannot make heads or tails of it, either.

From the look of the roofs the city is in Italy, Iberia or southern France. The church has high pointy windows and is higher than wide, so looks a bit gothic, but then again the windows are very narrow, there is more wall than window and there are no flying buttresses (instead there are these weird thick round structures), so it does look a bit romanesque as well. In fact it looks like the architect had heard of the visual characteristics of gothic architecture and tried to emulate it without understanding the underlying statics.

So I am not sure how I would even search for this weird style.

EDIT: Turns out it is Albi and the style is called Gothique Meriodonale, characteristic for southern France after the Albigensian crusades. The weird cylindrical shapes appear to be a specialty of this style, being a replacement for exterior flying buttresses.
    Last edited by Iskar; August 18, 2021 at 04:08 PM.

Yes, it's the Sainte-Cécile Cathedral in Albi. This building style incorporates architectural elements of the military fortress, giving the exterior a grim and austere look.

I'm afraid I can't rep you atm. If someone else can do the honors I'd be grateful.

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

Done.
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

thanks!