Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Uruk Bomb

Evan MF's Avatar Vicarius

Default The Uruk Bomb

In Lord of the Rings The Two Towers Sauroman's provide his Uruk Hai with a bomb to blow up the wall at Helms Deep/Hornburg. I was just wondering if this could be recreated some how into the games.

The idea is modding a seige tower so it looks like a beserker uruk holding the bomb/torch. A unit would be equipped with him but when ordered to attack the wall only the seige tower (which looks like the bomb bearer) runs towards the wall and when it touches the wall collapses and some flames or explosions are displayed (the animation taken from when flaming trebuchets destroy walls).

Is my idea on the right lines of how it could be enabled?

Evan

P.S. Sorry for bad grammar or spelling
    Last edited by Evan MF; August 22, 2009 at 04:06 PM.

Default Re: The Uruk Bomb

I believe the mods are actually making it a unit sometime down the road. This could be how they implement it, or it may be its own unit.

Isn't that a waste of a whole unit though. Wouldn't it be better to have it recruited as a seige machine?

Would it be possible to just make it be a seige weapon of some sort, ballista, trebuchet, etc. that has almost no range, and remodel it as a bomb being carried by Uruks, with a ton of seige damage but dies when used.

I don't know how to make it die, but maybe the explosion could have an area of effect damage that would kill anyone close enough, and since the unit has to be really close to the explosion to even make one then it would kill itself automatically whenever it used its attack.

Or if it can't die, you could just give it like one ammo or whatever so that it could really only be used once per battle. Sure, it would be kind of unrealistic that the Uruks near the blast didn't die, but it would really just be a representation of the technology of this bomb since it would be impossible to have them set down the bomb and then have one Berserker run forward to set it off. So realistically, the bomb placing Uruks wouldn't have died anyway.

Louis Lux's Avatar Into the Light
    Patrician

can't be done, siege equipment like rams and ladders are hard coded as far as I know. What's being under development is a siege unit modeled to look like the bomb that has a very low range but really high attack. I'm not certain it's going to be implemented, frankly I don't think it would add much to the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Louis Lux View Post
    frankly I don't think it would add much to the game.
    Well at least it will give Isengard some more variety!

There are a million other ways to give Isengard variety, many already discussed, than giving it bombs.

This thread better not go the way of the flamethrower thread...

Each event is proceeded by prophecy, but without the hero there is no event...

sirfiggin's Avatar Senator

cannon unit with one man, 3 HP massive defence stats and... zero range?
    The Duke of Dunwich and surrounding fiefdom

For any who are interested by my FF on occurrences in Rhun and beyond; I have begun a new project (not because the old one is finished, just opening more room for ideas) about one of the minor characters, Rankal. It is in the Third Age AAR index and here is the link http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=376994

Angrychris's Avatar Primicerius

Reminds me off age of empires with the guy who ran with powder kegs.

Leave it to the modder to perfect the works of the paid developers for no profit at all.

saglam2000's Avatar Campidoctor

petards ftw
    "The Turks are never trapped. It's the people who surround them who are in trouble."Anthony Hebert

‎"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens

ey in age of empires you could do nice bomb-scenarios eh -_-, put the bomb here and everything explodes D:!.

In Dea Paladins additional units mod (I think, it could be vanilla) there's a "Mine" for Isengard which is just basically a cart that acts like a ballista with no range, has a massive building damage (1 shot) moves slow, and will kill anything standing around. It's pushed with the same people as a ballista is pushed with.

Have skinny goblin skirmishers lobbing naptha 'greek fire'.

I made some isenguard unit suggestions here post 194
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...284367&page=10
    and there is some sort of mine model but I dont think its recruitable in game
    http://totalwar.honga.net/faction.ph...=isengard(good site btw anyone know the maker)
    and video http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...victory+videos this looks awesome
    anyone know if a submod adds it? Hopefully next release anyway

placing a bomb next to a stone wall would not knock down the wall at best it would damage the wall.
    With Helms deep some genious architect put a drain through the wall the bomb was underneath the wall and would then be devastating.

Quote Originally Posted by Shifty11 View Post
    placing a bomb next to a stone wall would not knock down the wall at best it would damage the wall.
    With Helms deep some genious architect put a drain through the wall the bomb was underneath the wall and would then be devastating.

Hey....the rohan people need their sanitation

There is a unit in the isengard roster called "mine", I havnt checked it out so I dont how it works, has anyone else tried it out?

Quote Originally Posted by Dea Paladin View Post
    There is a unit in the isengard roster called "mine", I havnt checked it out so I dont how it works, has anyone else tried it out?
    It was included in the 1.2 beta, then removed in the official release- Because some beta testers deemed it buggy.

Quote Originally Posted by Lordinquisitor View Post
    It was included in the 1.2 beta, then removed in the official release- Because some beta testers deemed it buggy.
    Yep , but it worked for MasterBigAb , and he made a vid for it :

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=267259

(first vid)

You can get back it back by removing the "No Custom" line from its text in the EDU. It only takes a few seconds and then you have the unit once more.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast