Thread: Good old GPU trouble

Default Good old GPU trouble

hi guys! bought a new laptop 3 years ago. I have never played ETW on it, and after rewatching Zulu and Waterloo a few days ago ( man, why does noone make 17-18. Century war movies anymore??) i got strong Empire vibes!! So i wanted to ply it again.

Unfortunately, it wont utilize my nvidia card.

I have tried:

- Went into nvidia control panel and made sure the good GPU is selected for ETW, and restarted the computer
    - Ran the .exe with GPU, didnt work
    - Even deleted the preferences script

Still doesnt work. I hope anybody knows another thing i can try, cuz if not, it seems ill have to wait for Empire 2, because the maximum i can go up to right now is medium settings, and these are so ugly that i am not going to do that to myself in 2017.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Default Re: Good old GPU trouble

You wrote that the graphics won't go above medium. Choki explained how to fix this (here). Choki's solution is to edit your preferences file rather than to delete it.

Here's how:-

1. Open your C:/Users/[your user name]/AppData/Roaming/The Creative Assembly/Empire/scripts folder

(Some of these folders are hidden by default, so some users might need to search online for 'how to reveal hidden folders in [your operating system]', for example 'how to reveal hidden folders in Windows 10'. You have been able to delete your preferences file, so that does not seem to be an issue here.)

2. Double-click on your preferences.empire_script.txt file, to open it

3. Find a line which says:-

gfx_video_memory 0; # gfx_video_memory <int>, Override available video memory (bytes) #

Edit this line so that it says:

gfx_video_memory 512000000; # gfx_video_memory <int>, Override available video memory (bytes) #

4. Save the file.

It should now be possible to start Empire Total War and to set the graphics to any setting.

Default Re: Good old GPU trouble

It actually worked! Thank you.

Now all i need is some mods and the war can begin