Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Preview: The Romani

Default Re: Preview: The Romani

Quote Originally Posted by Achilla View Post
    Did you just say it's impossible to transition the Roman Republic into Roman Empire?

Looks like, since it would take up a faction slot.

Either way, this mod is said to be accurate as much as possible within the starting date, and everything that happens later is up to the player.

So, who said My Rome won't have an Emperor?

Or do you plan to disallow traditional family tree and adopt the 'teutonic tree' from M2TW:K?

Just wondering what the actual game will be like, outside the previews.
    No, it won't take up a faction slot.
    But the imperial reforms are/were being reconsidered by the EB team, since they take up unit slots and since it affects only the last 30 years of the game period.

Anyway, unless you cheat the first 200 years or so, you will be having a Roman republic, if the reforms follow the same logic as in EB I. Your two consuls will be the guys in charge for the year of their election.

IIRC there were rumours the teutonic tree will be used for the romans, which would be logical, because there was no "faction leader" or "heir" in ancient Rome. But only the EB-team know this for sure of course.

Achilla's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by Mediolanicus View Post
    No, it won't take up a faction slot.
    But the imperial reforms are/were being reconsidered by the EB team, since they take up unit slots and since it affects only the last 30 years of the game period.

Anyway, unless you cheat the first 200 years or so, you will be having a Roman republic, if the reforms follow the same logic as in EB I. Your two consuls will be the guys in charge for the year of their election.

IIRC there were rumours the teutonic tree will be used for the romans, which would be logical, because there was no "faction leader" or "heir" in ancient Rome. But only the EB-team know this for sure of course.
    Yeah. It worked that way - a general with highest command attribute, then followed by authority would be elected as the next grandmaster. It had one issue, though - entire nation would die off if there was no 'worthy' candidate for grandmaster and the old one died, and that's a huge drawback, as I'm unsure about what certainly decided whether a potential candidate was worthy or not.

What I wondered is - are we necessarily bound to history AFTER? My impression was an exact replica in the starting date and then 'emerging changes', which take place not after a specific date, but if specific conditions are met (e.g. X faction killed, Y city captured, character Z moved to location T before/after year W etc.). What, in it's exact sense, means that you will be able to make a decisive change in the game world by doing something extraordinary and not sitting 'end turn' till something happens.

On the other hand, with normal family three, we could have current 'king' and 'heir' act like the Consuls (since there were always TWO OF THEM - see how heir + king match perfectly with traits passed from elderly to descendants?), and that (gameplay-wise) would be not only easy to do, but would negate drawbacks of possible early destruction in case of Teutonic family tree.

Again, I'm not questioning how things are done or might be done, I'm simply looking for a valid solution, because game engine seems limited at the very best and I'm not sure what kind of technical approach EB team has agreed on (that's why I asked in previous post).

Cheers
    Man is but a shadow of his former self, encased in feverish delusions of grandeur.
    Ignorance is your shield, knowledge is your weapon.
    Heart without reason is stupid, reason without heart is blind.

Faction leader and heir are live-long. Consul is for one year, so that's why the EB team does it with traits and actually ignores the family tree for the Romans.

Yes, EB doesn't want to be linear - look at the Hannibal discussion.
    But it must remain plausible. Those specific conditions for an Empire are huge though. The Romans were very conservative and A LOT has to change in 272BC to make the republic have an emperor.

Achilla's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by Mediolanicus View Post
    Faction leader and heir are live-long. Consul is for one year, so that's why the EB team does it with traits and actually ignores the family tree for the Romans.

Yes, EB doesn't want to be linear - look at the Hannibal discussion.
    But it must remain plausible. Those specific conditions for an Empire are huge though. The Romans were very conservative and A LOT has to change in 272BC to make the republic have an emperor.
    If it is still possible, it will be one of my main goals to achieve that for sure not to mention some form of challenge!

Yes, I have actually read the Hannibal topic, from there I derived the entire theory of possibility and probability instead of fixed date.
    Man is but a shadow of his former self, encased in feverish delusions of grandeur.
    Ignorance is your shield, knowledge is your weapon.
    Heart without reason is stupid, reason without heart is blind.

Stunning preview, EB is just a level above most.

Zmaj od Noćaja's Avatar Miles

You people really do an amazing job! Keep up the good work!

maximius serbus's Avatar Civis

Great work,keep going

Quote Originally Posted by super_newbie_pro View Post
    no screens ingame for the The Romani faction ? :p
    up up

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Just so everyone is clear, the screenies above are not from EBII and neither the models or the skins will appear in EBII. - Foot
    Last edited by Foot; October 11, 2009 at 05:47 PM. Reason: clearing up a potential misunderstanding. - Foot
    RTW 1 fan - betrayed, disillusioned, disgusted with Rome 2.
    My thematic camping project on autonomy ==> http://www.camping-la-ressource.fr/

Sephynos's Avatar Semisalis

Superb!!!
    I believe that to meet the challenges of our times, human beings will have to develop a greater sense of universal responsibility. Each of us must learn to work not just for oneself, one's own family or nation, but for the benefit of all humankind. Universal responsibility is the key to human survival. It is the best foundation for world peace.

Amazing. These are some of the most detailed units I've ever seen in a TW-game.

Joysong's Avatar Miles

really very very good preview, keep up the goodwork! if i can help in any way let me know have some experians modding (since 2004 Rome) mostly in the .txt files

Beorn's Avatar Praepositus

amazing quality

jmrc's Avatar Civis

This is not EBII material. IIRC, the 2nd screenshot was made by one of our members, but it's not in our current build.

"Death Smiles at Us All,all a Man Can Do Is Smile Back."
    Maximvs Decimvs Meridivs, Commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, Iberian Gladiator.

This is not EBII material. IIRC, the 2nd screenshot was made by one of our members, but it's not in our current build.
    well make it, cause there Supr. awesome

k_raso's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by DARK LORD View Post
    OMG WTF!!!!1one Th0se leggi00naries roxxors my boxxors teh big 0ne!!

But they aren't from EBII...

Genava's Avatar Senator

I think this picture isn't 100% accurate. It misses the Subarmalis and the sword is carrying on the left rather than on the right. An example of a legionary during the Battle of Teutoburg:

Fortunately it isn't a screenshot of EBII
    Last edited by Genava; October 13, 2009 at 12:43 PM.
    LOTR mod for Shogun 2 Total War (Campaign and Battles!)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIywmAgUxQU

Quote Originally Posted by DARK LORD View Post
    +1 !!!!
    RTW 1 fan - betrayed, disillusioned, disgusted with Rome 2.
    My thematic camping project on autonomy ==> http://www.camping-la-ressource.fr/

The Colonel's Avatar Biarchus

Very good lookin stuff, maybe you guys can prove that M2TW modded correctly is just as beautiful as RTW modded

Originally Posted by DARK LORD

+1 !!!!

have done this

First, everything looks amazingly detailed as I would have expected except for the cities. Did you design the super simple layout for better AI sieges? It just looks far too simple to be a city to me, especially the huge city. I suppose its not a huge detail but its something that ruins immersion when your playing the game and getting into being the faction.