Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thrace campaign, thoughts and experiences

Chicken's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Thrace campaign, thoughts and experiences

maybe patch problems????

u might had v1.2 or 1.3 in ur old game, and ur new one had v1.5?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hakomar View Post
    Your dancing chicken is hypnotising me.

Yeah, I think coolguyz is right on this. The same thing happened to me, closing without a message.
    "The desire for safety stands against every great and noble enterprise." Tacitus on Health & Safety
    "Abuse, if you slight it, will gradually die away; but if you show yourself irritated, you will be thought to have deserved it." Tacitus on trolling

Genius of the Restoration's Avatar You beaut and magical

I had the right version, but something was wrong. Oh well, as long as it still works I'm happy.

Parzival2211's Avatar Ducenarius

Great performances in some of the battles. I'm not sure whether I would have attacked the Scipii armies with the troops you had. And that was all on VH/VH, right? Where do you draw the line on which odds you can take on?

VH/VH. It's a hard line to draw. It depends on army composition. I'm much more confident if I have superior cavalry. As long as I've got that I can fight against heavy odds. The units that I'm scared of are; Horse Archers (they tend to maul the light cav you send against them on VH), Egyptian and British chariots if I don't have phalanxes (due to the morale penalty and the fact that I rely on cav when fighting against the odds) and massed archers (they rout your units more easily). Infantry and enemy cavalry are easy enough. I'd be confident fighting a full Seleucid stack of Peltasts, Militia Hoplites and a general or two (something they love to do) with 5 units of cavalry and two Archers or infantry. Without cavalry, I'd need a much bigger army and take maybe 6 Archers and 8 infantry to fight the same battle. The army for the big Scipii battle was six cavalry and six infantry, though I only lost 58 hoplites all up, and only from two units, so I don't imagine they played a crucial role in the battle. The real destructive power came from the Militia Cavalry and the hard-hitting Bodyguard unit.

Parzival2211's Avatar Ducenarius

I certainly agree with your emphasis on cavalry superiority. Playing on M/VH though, I managed to defeat huge odds (mostly skirmishers, Iberian Inf, Naked, archers and some light cav) with 1 general unit and some light cav.

2Shy's Avatar Campidoctor

Update? Or you stop playing RTW ?

Quote Originally Posted by Genius of the Restoration View Post
    I bought a brand new copy of Rome with Barbarian Invasion this week because I lent my copy of BI awayafter hardly playing it and because it was such a bargain. Problem is, now I can’t get back into this save game for some reason. Every time I try, I get a ctd with no error message, so it looks like this campaign is over.
    Unfortunately the save wouldn't open, but I'm also away and don't have RTW with me and haven't played a campaign in a while now which are three reasons you wont see an update on this anytime soon! Hope you liked the brief campaign write-up, short though it was. If you've got any questions about it feel free to ask away.

how do you win so easly with militia cav? I cain't even win a battle unless the odds ar in my favor with cav so i'm always just kicking the po outa them with inf up the wazu. cav to me is mop up units. could you give some tips please?
    90% of teens would die today if Facebook was destroyed. if you are one of the 10% that would be laughing, copy and paste this to your signature.

ROMANS POWN!
    YES IT IS!!!

TheFoolOnTheHill's Avatar Centenarius

Quote Originally Posted by juliusceasar View Post
    how do you win so easly with militia cav? I cain't even win a battle unless the odds ar in my favor with cav so i'm always just kicking the po outa them with inf up the wazu. cav to me is mop up units. could you give some tips please?
    It's your style if you don't like cav thn don't use cav simple
    Crème tangerine and Montelimar,A ginger sling with a pineapple heart,A coffee dessert, yes, you know it's good news,But you have to have them all pulled out,After the Savoy truffle,Cool cherry cream, nice apple tart,I feel your taste all the time we're apart,Coconut fudge really blows down those blues,But you'll have to have them all pulled out,After the Savoy truffle,You might not feel it now,When the pain cuts through,You're going to know and how,The sweat is going to fill your head,When it becomes too muchYou'll shout aloud,You'll have to have them all pulled out,After the Savoy truffle,You know that what you eat you are,But what is sweet now turns so sour,We all know Ob-la-di-bla-da,But can you show me where you are?Crème tangerine and Montelimar,A ginger sling with a pineapple heart,A coffee dessert, yes, you know it's good news,But you'll have to have them all pulled out,After the Savoy truffleYes, you'll have to have them all pulled out,After the Savoy truffle. Savoy Truffle http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9a9TMpAwwBw

Quote Originally Posted by TheFoolOnTheHill View Post
    makes sence. I SHALL FOLLOW YOUR WORDS OF WISDOM! and thanks for the advise.
    90% of teens would die today if Facebook was destroyed. if you are one of the 10% that would be laughing, copy and paste this to your signature.

ROMANS POWN!
    YES IT IS!!!

Using cav well takes a bit of practice. Have a read of this guide twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=56027 if you haven't already, it provides some good information though I don't agree with all of it. There's a link to a campaign battle thread in my sig that has an all cav battle in it you can try as a training thing if you like. The only difference with Militia cav is that you ban skirmish with them as well, other than that you can use them just like any other melee light cav. When skirmishing with them ensure to target a few key units to weaken them and only break the enemy with a charge. Do the usual things when fighting like use terrain and gang up on units where possible and you should be able to take on progressively tougher cav battles. See how you go with the battle in my sig after reading NobleNick's guide and see if it helps. Don't give up on cav, it is incredibly powerful and great fun to use.

the key to winning with cav in this fashion (lots of light cav and a heavy cav general) is to exhaust the enemy and apply surgical strikes on selected enemy units; exhausted enemy infantry can rout just by the sound of cav approaching

_Suetonius_'s Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by TheFoolOnTheHill View Post
    Telling people to not use cav isn't very smart. You should always have minimum 1 unit of cav because they can deliver a punch that inf doesn't have.

And they chase down routers better than other units. They're always useful, even when defending settlements.

TheFoolOnTheHill's Avatar Centenarius

Quote Originally Posted by _Suetonius_ View Post
    Telling people to not use cav isn't very smart. You should always have minimum 1 unit of cav because they can deliver a punch that inf doesn't have.
    I meant don't bring like 15 cav if you don't want to
    Crème tangerine and Montelimar,A ginger sling with a pineapple heart,A coffee dessert, yes, you know it's good news,But you have to have them all pulled out,After the Savoy truffle,Cool cherry cream, nice apple tart,I feel your taste all the time we're apart,Coconut fudge really blows down those blues,But you'll have to have them all pulled out,After the Savoy truffle,You might not feel it now,When the pain cuts through,You're going to know and how,The sweat is going to fill your head,When it becomes too muchYou'll shout aloud,You'll have to have them all pulled out,After the Savoy truffle,You know that what you eat you are,But what is sweet now turns so sour,We all know Ob-la-di-bla-da,But can you show me where you are?Crème tangerine and Montelimar,A ginger sling with a pineapple heart,A coffee dessert, yes, you know it's good news,But you'll have to have them all pulled out,After the Savoy truffleYes, you'll have to have them all pulled out,After the Savoy truffle. Savoy Truffle http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9a9TMpAwwBw

Every RTW player should learn how to use cavalry. Its shock power is unbelievable when you begin to grasp ahold of the techniques. My armies are usually composed for 6 cavalry units (regardless of faction), and 4 infantry (usually large-town units).

I was recently playing the Alexander Expansion ... gotta say, without cav, it'd be easy to lose to the huge early battles Persia sends at you.

thread necrophilia

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12