Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Point of a vassal?

Alter Ego's Avatar Foederatus

Default Point of a vassal?

What is the actual point of having a faction as your vassal? because if im right you have to surround thier last few cities/castles with a big enough army, and after they become your vassal, you gain an income from them? surely its best to just take over that factions last few cities, because it would save time and reap maximum benefits wont it?

Like the above? Medieval II Signatures
    Personalised avatar created by me

Magnificent One's Avatar Miles

Default Re: Point of a vassal?

Yep.But it just basically shows you are awesome.But they usually attack you.Well,spain did to me when i was Portugal.

You know you want some....

Fair enough and yeah i managed to make england my vassal while i was playing as scotland lol but in the end i had to just finish them off because the danes started attacking me so i needed a bigger economy for my bigger army

Nazgūl Killer's Avatar ✡At Your Service✡

Actually, a vassal can be quite useful.

I'm playing Stainless Steel, which has far more improved AI than the "Vanilla" game, and I have Scotland as my vassal there.
    Once I allowed it to grow stronger, it proved to be a very, VERY effective ally in my wars against France and so on.

In addition, they can prove to be very useful as they can give you an excuse to start a war without losing any reputation (Give them one of your frontier settlements, wait until your want-to-be-foe attacks, promise your vassal protection, promise everyone at war with that faction help against your foe, and attack him, your reputation will actually rise).

Besides, having vassals is just awesome. In the "Vanilla" game as well - If you don't engage in diplomacy about 10 turns after making them your vassals, and if you give them a city or two back (Capital is the best choice, usually), they simply don't want to fight you anymore, and accept their existence, helping you.
    Nazgul Killer's M2TW Guide
    Personal Help & Advice forum
    My view on the "Friend Zone"
    Good things come to those who wait... But better things come to those who never hesitate.

Hmm i never thought of it like that, maybe i shall continue strategic vassal making lol

Double A's Avatar person man

Dude, they give you half their income. You get half their income and you don't have to worry about building stuff, they do it for you. And then you get more money.

Also it shows everyone your pair is the biggest.
    Jon had taken Donal and Benjen’s advice to heart: Sam may be fat and pathetic, but he is still a member of the watch, and one of the few black brothers who isn't a rapist or thief. (out of context, this sounds ridiculously racist)
    super awesome music thing | political profile
    GSTK member - Join today! (We're restarting. Again.)

Viking Prince's Avatar Horrible(ly cute)
    Patrician

Well there can be a quick windfall on the first turn following a vassal treaty. For example, in a recent Polish campaign the Danes became a vassal and I think 75,000 fl came in on the first turn. Also, it is more of an advantage to consider vassals if your campaign goals are not to conquer the entire map. If you a playing a shorter campaign, a couple of vassals can go a long ways towards meeting your victory conditions.
    Grandson of Silver Guard, son of Maverick, and father to Mr MM|Rebel6666|Beer Money |bastard stepfather to Ferrets54
    The Scriptorium is looking for great articles. Don't be bashful, we can help with the formatting and punctuation. I am only a pm away to you becoming a published author within the best archive of articles around.
    Post a challenge and start a debate
    Garb's Fight Club - the Challenge thread

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Cashmere View Post
    Weighing into threads with the steel capped boots on just because you disagree with my viewpoints, is just embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hagar_the_Horrible
    As you journey through life take a minute every now and then to give a thought for the other fellow. He could be plotting something.

Vassals look very interesting (I never had one), but I have a few questions.

1) Is a neighbour faction vassal very interesting (example: you England, vassal Scotland)? After all the cities they have could be yours to. And if they become to strong can they attack you?

2) Is a vassal on the other side of the world not much more interesting (if possible)?
    Exemple: in my SS Portugal Late campaign, The Teutonic Order and HRE are almost destroyed. If I siege their last city/castle will I be able to turn them into a vassa? Or is it to far away?

If they become a vassa and I make them stronger, won't it be much more interesting? Because we won't stand in to eachothers way.

You can turn anyone into a vassal if you've crushed them enough and yes vassals can attack you.

see thats why i dont see the point in them, id feel more powerful if id have taken them completely over with military might lol

Yeh but whats the point then you're getting a worse reputation world wide, killing people, making less good settlements, getting reid of an ally in battle.

hmm fair enough lol

"Let them hate us, as long as they fear us"
    Last edited by Holy winter; August 09, 2009 at 09:47 AM.

Double A's Avatar person man

Yeah pretty much. And even if they do attack you, you'd still have gotten half their income for a long time. So you get more and they get less. Guess what that means? Yes that's right you got more money than whichever god your faction worships.
    Jon had taken Donal and Benjen’s advice to heart: Sam may be fat and pathetic, but he is still a member of the watch, and one of the few black brothers who isn't a rapist or thief. (out of context, this sounds ridiculously racist)
    super awesome music thing | political profile
    GSTK member - Join today! (We're restarting. Again.)

Yes, but its not about the money for me.

It's about POWER, ENDLESS ROWER!!!

Magnificent One's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Holy winter View Post
    ENDLESS ROWER!!!
    Wouldn't endless rowing damage your arms in a way?

You know you want some....

What I do with my vassals is I give them an island and make their other settlement revolt, then I take it. Keeps them from attacking me.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnificent One View Post
    Wouldn't endless rowing damage your arms in a way?
    After thinking over this question for 5min (and keep staring to that funny avatar of yours for 2min)
    I think (think, think, think) this:

1) Yes I think that would damage my arms (not sure).
    2) But I don't think endless power in TW would damage me.
    3) Did you never see Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith?
    4) Anyway, does someone has a good answer for my second question?
    Last edited by Holy winter; August 09, 2009 at 02:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Holy winter View Post
    This is your second question. And... NO.

Unforgivable! Just like crusades on Antioch...

Quote Originally Posted by 'nezau View Post
    This is your second question. And... NO.
    I will try to explain it slowly.....

This is question 4

2) Is a vassal on the other side of the world not much more interesting (if possible)?
    This is question 2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast