Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: [HoI3] Heart of Iron III - discussion

Protector Domesticus

Default Re: [HoI3] Heart of Iron III - discussion

Still looking for help on Czechoslovakia.

TheBromgrev's Avatar Ducenarius

You absolutely have to join a faction before Germany's decisions kick in or you'll lose automatically. Austria and Czechoslovakia are unplayable nations because they get "eaten" and the player doesn't have a say in the matter. If you can't join a faction because the faction leader won't accept you, then either give up on playing CZE or write a custom event and edit Germany's decision to allow yourself the chance to reject the territory losses.

Protector Domesticus

that still confuses me, did they bring it in as a forced decision in the expansions? as i said earlier i simply rejected germanys attempt at taking my territory and nothing happened.

Ah, sorry, I was thinking about a mod (haven't played vanilla since the game first came out). I checked the event file and you do get a chance to give Hitler the middle finger. For the Treaty of Munich there's no AI chance set for Germany, so it has a 50% chance of picking either option of fight or back off. If it backed off, then you were lucky or unlucky, depending on what you wanted to have happen.

As far as what to do is Germany backs off, well you have 2 options the way I see it. In FtM you can apparently join the Axis instead of outright refusing and still not lose any land, or you can refuse and join the Allies or Comintern. If you don't join the Axis then you're vulnerable (surrounded by Axis members), isolated, and as you've seen can't do much before you are beaten. If you don't want to join the Axis I would align to the Comintern instead of the Allies, since there won't be a M-R Pact (you exist), no Memel (you exist), and no UK guarantee on Poland (again, Czechoslovakia exists), meaning the USSR AI will attack Germany shortly after Germany starts WW2 by attacking Denmark and can provide you material support since Germany will be fighting a 2-front war.

Protector Domesticus

Ah ok, i geuss i was semi lucky in my first game

VOP2288's Avatar Smokey the Bear
    Civitate

Finally, I understand this game!

I've been playing as the US (start at 1936) for the last two days or so (this game is a time sink). I got up to around 1941 before the UK convinced me to join the allies and auto-declare war on Germany, Italy, Ethiopia, and Slovakia.

By the time I got a good number of troops over to the Med to fight Italy France, of all nations, had managed to conquer Germany, liberate Poland, and get halfway down the Italian peninsula alongside Swiss troops. Now I'm more-or-less chasing around Italian troops in their last holdouts based in Africa.

Question: when France conquered Germany a pop up window appeared and said that the US (i.e. my nation) had annexed Germany and suddenly I was in possession of a number of German regions in the south and north. What happened? I didn't even step foot on German soil - the French just steamrolled over them and down into Italy. Is this a bug or can you annex territories to your fellow allies?
    Under the patronage of Pra

Addicted-Gamers.com - Up-and-coming game news website! Please support us!

The German surrender event assumes the US did all of the work, even if the US didn't even enter the war. It's unfortunately not a bug and is a very much hated surrender event because of how stupid it works.

I was under the impression that an event refusal lead to a declaration of war by the AI. As Romania, I refused Bulgarian and Soviet demands, both of which resulted in a war.

It depends on the code in the event file. There's a command called ai_chance that you set from 0 to 100 and determines how likely the AI is to pick a certain option. If the command isn't present in the option code then the AI has an even chance split between the available options.

Vanoi's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Civitate

Sorry guys, but i have a noobish question. Just bought the Semper Fi expansion, but i am not sure how to install it. Everytime i do install it, it makes its own folder. Shouldn't i have to install it in the same folder where i installed Hearts of Iron?
    Best/Worst quotes of TWC

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriakos View Post
    While you are at it, allow Germany to rearm, it's not like they committed the worst atrocity in modern history, so having a strong army can't lead to anything pitiful.

HissingNewt's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by Azoth View Post
    Sorry guys, but i have a noobish question. Just bought the Semper Fi expansion, but i am not sure how to install it. Everytime i do install it, it makes its own folder. Shouldn't i have to install it in the same folder where i installed Hearts of Iron?
    I just looked at my folder and there's just all the folders like Decisions, Events, Install, Mod etc. If those are inside the Semper Fi folder, I'd recommend just taking them out and having them overwrite the vanilla files.
    "Hullabaloo, caneck! Caneck!"

Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by HissingNewt View Post
    I just looked at my folder and there's just all the folders like Decisions, Events, Install, Mod etc. If those are inside the Semper Fi folder, I'd recommend just taking them out and having them overwrite the vanilla files.
    This whole thing is confusing. I am trying to get HOI3 and all her expansions workng at the same time. So far i can only get the regular Hoi3 and 1 expansion to work. If i try to get all three to work at the same time the game crashes on me :/
    Best/Worst quotes of TWC

While you are at it, allow Germany to rearm, it's not like they committed the worst atrocity in modern history, so having a strong army can't lead to anything pitiful.

Where'd you buy it from?

Civitate

Where'd you buy it from?
    Bought the game and expansions individually. I have owned Hoi3 for a while and have no problem with it. ITs just the expansions are not installing or working properly.
    Best/Worst quotes of TWC

Quote Originally Posted by Azoth View Post
    Bought the game and expansions individually. I have owned Hoi3 for a while and have no problem with it. ITs just the expansions are not installing or working properly.
    Is there anything in the folders that you can place into the main HOI folder?

Civitate

Is there anything in the folders that you can place into the main HOI folder?
    Never mind, i got it. Finally after an hour of tweaking i got it to work. Thanks for the help anyways.
    Best/Worst quotes of TWC

The Vengur's Avatar Bloodthirsty Lunatic

Playing with all expansions, steam version.

when i reach 1948.1.1 my game stops, when i press continue it progresses one Hour and then pauses again, is there any way around it?, i have seen it with Hungary and Turkey, in regular HoI (1.4) i got to 1960 with no problems (using Portugal), is this a bug or intended?
    Quote Originally Posted by trance View Post
    I might have inherited the stature and alcohol consumption of our ancestors, but Vengur got the ruthless, psychopathic bloodlust.
    Quote Originally Posted by s.rwitt View Post
    New rule: -one player each session will be designated the "Vengur Handler". It is like a dog handler in real life but you have to also pay attention to where his weapon is pointed at all times, make sure he does not have access to a parachute while in a chopper, keep him from running into buildings which the rest of the squad is currently suppressing, etc. An AGM/ACE compatible leash has been added to VAS.

The game is supposed to end on that date. You can edit the end date by going into the file ../HOI3/common/defines.lua and changing the end date (it's the 2nd or 3rd line in the file). No other way to get around it other than modding, because you're not supposed to go past 1948.

The Vengur's Avatar Bloodthirsty Lunatic

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by trance View Post
    I might have inherited the stature and alcohol consumption of our ancestors, but Vengur got the ruthless, psychopathic bloodlust.
    Quote Originally Posted by s.rwitt View Post
    New rule: -one player each session will be designated the "Vengur Handler". It is like a dog handler in real life but you have to also pay attention to where his weapon is pointed at all times, make sure he does not have access to a parachute while in a chopper, keep him from running into buildings which the rest of the squad is currently suppressing, etc. An AGM/ACE compatible leash has been added to VAS.

Civitate

I need some advice. How many brigades do you guys normally put in a divison? Is it 3 or more? Also is it a good idea to add something like artillery or anti-tank guns to a divison full of Mountain Troops? I mean i know they will be fighting in mountains and stuff, but is it a good diea to just leave them alone and not add anything like artillery to them?
    Best/Worst quotes of TWC