Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: [HoI3] Heart of Iron III - discussion

General Brewster's Avatar The Flying Dutchman
    Blog Entries

Default Re: [HoI3] Heart of Iron III - discussion

Cool

I WUB PUGS's Avatar OOH KILL 'EM

Man HOI3 is buggy and I don't really care for the surrender system. For example there I was in mainland Japan with all my Marines and Mountain troops when an event fired to cause peace in Asia, all the Japanese puppets went over to me as puppets, but Japan was still Axis.

All of the territory I had run over in Japan had to be re-run over and a second Japan as Puppet event fired........... wtf?? WHY PARADOX!!!

Anyway, pretty decent game for first run through. I fought what can only be described as one of the best battles I've had in any HOI game in the Philippines. I was conducting liberation ops in Borneo and then Malaysia/Singapore with 4 Marine divisions and 3 Mountain and I then landed 2 more Marine divisions in the south of the Philippines, walked all the way to the northern mountains where I became locked in a WWI style bludgeoning fest.

There was a massive bug that put about 150 Japanese brigades onto Palawan where they all got stuck. I ranked up my air force by pounding them day and night for months on end while eventually 6 Marine divsions and 3 Mountain fought against about 40 brigades of Japanese. They also did a flanking maneuver that was very impressive where somehow transports snuck through my fleets and landed about 10 brigades south of the line and I had to flee to Manila with about half my force and then fight back up while striking south at the same time with a mop up division while maintaining the block against the mountains. If I hadn't had tons of battleships in the area I would've lost the Philippines, the shore bombardment bonus I got every fight turned the battle time and again.

Seriously it took over a year to dig these guys out of the mountains and I sunk maybe 2/3 of the Japanese navy in numerous battles off Babuyan and Palawan.

The bonus was that this was an awesome fight and the Pacific War took me into 1945 which has never happened to me in any HOI game as US or even UK where I always take out Japan as fast as I can before invading Italy and then France.

I'm in 1946 now and I am organizing my masses of armor and mechanized forces to kick in the door to France. DOW'd Vichy and the Brits are running over North Africa. I'll probably send in the Marines and Mountain troops to kick Italy's butt.

A freakish salient about 1000 miles wide extends up to the Urals but USSR hold the south and much of the north and won't give in. See how fast that front holds when I dump my hordes onto the continent.

Btw wtf am I supposed to do with all this IC and manpower as US? It's almost too much in the late game. Hopefully finish this one up soon then maybe I'll do a proper AAR as UK.
    Last edited by I WUB PUGS; June 25, 2012 at 02:38 PM.

John I Tzimisces's Avatar Get born again.

I feel a little dumb for asking this, but do straits in HoI3 work like straits in HoI2? In other words, do they prevent the passage of hostile or non-allied ships if you hold the relevant province (Suez, Gibraltar, Istanbul, Copenhagen?)

I want to eventually do an Italian campaign (using lots and lots of cruiser practical since lets face it, I'll never be able to match the UK or US in terms of capital ship production) but I realize that unless I can totally close off the mediterranean my efforts are always going to be frustrated by greater numbers.

I WUB PUGS's Avatar OOH KILL 'EM

Click on the province(s) next to the strait and then look at the connection. This will tell you how to defend and against attacks from where.

So I've noticed my Infantry divisions occasionally find an artillery brigade from somewhere, but not all my divisions get them. What's going on here?

How exactly they "find"? You mean some are produced with artillery and others not? AI attaches arty to some units and not others?

No clue. They just seem to appear randomly.

HissingNewt's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrets54 View Post
    No clue. They just seem to appear randomly.
    Did you use the recommended production button or let the AI handle production?
    "Hullabaloo, caneck! Caneck!"

Actually I think they must have existed at the game start. I've worked out how to build and attach artillery now.

kostas84's Avatar Campidoctor

How do i transfer units overseas?

TheBromgrev's Avatar Ducenarius

Build transport ships if you haven't already done so and put the units in the transports.

Does anyone want to play a 2-player campaign?

I'll be down for a two player game, except I've never played multiplayer for HOI 3.

Ok, just PM me steam, or skype, or msn or whatever so that we can start.

I am still looking for one guy to play with me.

What happens if you "Support our Party" the UK as Germany as early as January 1936?

the nazi british party may come to rule UK, but i realized that didnt helped me much, even after the nazi ruled UK they were still really much at war with me
    Then, as throngs of his enemies bore down upon him and one of his followers said, "They are making at thee, O King," "Who else, pray," said Antigonus, "should be their mark? But Demetrius will come to my aid." This was his hope to the last, and to the last he kept watching eagerly for his son; then a whole cloud of javelins were let fly at him and he fell.

-Plutarch, life of Demetrius.

Arche Aiakidae-Epeiros EB2 AAR

You canīt coup faction leaders so itīs pointless in that aspect too. Donīt think espionage is useful in itīs current state (apart from raising threat and getting nice laws earlier). Counterespionage is pretty potent, so disrupting research and production isnīt hot either.

Is it true that you can get the USA to be Neutral or Axis if you start using "Support Our Party" with 10 spies from January 1936?

TheBromgrev's Avatar Ducenarius

No. The US AI is told to only join the Allies, and by the time you get the US in your corner of the triangle when playing Germany then you've already won. The AI as it's coded in the game simply doesn't give two ___s about what party is in power, only the government type, which elections can't change. Some mods, like the HPP, have much more dynamic internal politics that change such behavior, but the base game is very rigid in what countries do.

The main reason to influence the US when playing as Germany is to keep them from joining the Allies early or at all, since once the US joins the Allies the Axis is doomed. However, if Japan is in the Axis the US will get attacked and join the Allies, so the only way to guarantee the US never joins a faction when playing as Germany is to not invite Japan and always influence the US away from the Allied corner. Supporting the German-American Bund is a waste since the unmodded US AI files don't care about ruling party. So, you can have the GAB in power and the US will still sink German subs in its territorial waters.