Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: [HoI3] Heart of Iron III - discussion

Default Re: [HoI3] Heart of Iron III - discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Azoth View Post
    I need some advice. How many brigades do you guys normally put in a divison? Is it 3 or more? Also is it a good idea to add something like artillery or anti-tank guns to a divison full of Mountain Troops? I mean i know they will be fighting in mountains and stuff, but is it a good diea to just leave them alone and not add anything like artillery to them?
    I'd say only get mountain divisions if you're going to be using them, i.e. don't put them on the frontline during the Winter War as the USSR, keep them down South. And if you're a small nation, steer clear of them, as they have separate technologies for their organisation and morale. Don't have them fight alone with no other kinds of brigade; they're still infantry and they'll be slaughtered.

Artillery is always good. I always put an artillery brigade in.

Anti-tank is good for small nations due to it's low IC costs.

Vanoi's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by J.Philp View Post
    I'd say only get mountain divisions if you're going to be using them, i.e. don't put them on the frontline during the Winter War as the USSR, keep them down South. And if you're a small nation, steer clear of them, as they have separate technologies for their organisation and morale. Don't have them fight alone with no other kinds of brigade; they're still infantry and they'll be slaughtered.

Artillery is always good. I always put an artillery brigade in.

Anti-tank is good for small nations due to it's low IC costs.
    Thanks how many bridages do you usually have in a divison? I am thinking of using 3 mountain brigades with 1 arty brigade for a divison.
    Best/Worst quotes of TWC

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriakos View Post
    While you are at it, allow Germany to rearm, it's not like they committed the worst atrocity in modern history, so having a strong army can't lead to anything pitiful.

HissingNewt's Avatar Vicarius

The number of infantry brigades changes for me based on how much IC I have available, but I have one artillery brigade no matter what.
    "Hullabaloo, caneck! Caneck!"

Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by HissingNewt View Post
    The number of infantry brigades changes for me based on how much IC I have available, but I have one artillery brigade no matter what.
    The max i can have in 1 divison is 5. I am wondering if they effects the stacking penalty. In Hoi2 i would put like 8 divisons in 1 army and get big stacking penalties.
    Best/Worst quotes of TWC

While you are at it, allow Germany to rearm, it's not like they committed the worst atrocity in modern history, so having a strong army can't lead to anything pitiful.

The max i can have in 1 divison is 5. I am wondering if they effects the stacking penalty. In Hoi2 i would put like 8 divisons in 1 army and get big stacking penalties.
    The stacking penalty applies if you have more than 4 divisions in one region attacking. What nation are you playing as?

Civitate

The stacking penalty applies if you have more than 4 divisions in one region attacking. What nation are you playing as?
    Turkey. Going to change some history by invading Bulgaria and then joining the Allies.
    Best/Worst quotes of TWC

Turkey. Going to change some history by invading Bulgaria and then joining the Allies.
    Fighting for India and Africa is funner.

The Vengur's Avatar Bloodthirsty Lunatic

Fighting for India and Africa is funner.
    i prefer invading the Soviets
    Quote Originally Posted by trance View Post
    I might have inherited the stature and alcohol consumption of our ancestors, but Vengur got the ruthless, psychopathic bloodlust.
    Quote Originally Posted by s.rwitt View Post
    New rule: -one player each session will be designated the "Vengur Handler". It is like a dog handler in real life but you have to also pay attention to where his weapon is pointed at all times, make sure he does not have access to a parachute while in a chopper, keep him from running into buildings which the rest of the squad is currently suppressing, etc. An AGM/ACE compatible leash has been added to VAS.

Do you think you'll be able to hold the Balkans against the Germans? There's quite a bit of open ground there that's good for their armor to move around in. It'd probably be good to use Tank Destroyers for the area.

Do you think you'll be able to hold the Balkans against the Germans? There's quite a bit of open ground there that's good for their armor to move around in. It'd probably be good to use Tank Destroyers for the area.
    The open areas are in Romania. Everything South of that is mountainous. Here's a map of Bulgaria:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

As can be seen, it would be quite easy to defend from the North (if you're willing to lose a little land) and the West.

The open areas are in Romania. Everything South of that is mountainous. Here's a map of Bulgaria:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

As can be seen, it would be quite easy to defend from the North (if you're willing to lose a little land) and the West.
    Oh, seems it is.

Civitate

Like Phillip said, its quite mountainous. I am hoping thta in 1944 the Germans are too busy dealing with the Russians to really deal with me. All i have to worry about is Bulgaria, Romania, and Italy.
    Best/Worst quotes of TWC

Also, when the war starts turning in the Allies favour (if it does), be quick to gobble up Romania. Ploesti + that South West Persian region can provide a lot of oil,

The Vengur's Avatar Bloodthirsty Lunatic

Also, when the war starts turning in the Allies favour (if it does), be quick to gobble up Romania. Ploesti + that South West Persian region can provide a lot of oil,
    Baku?
    Quote Originally Posted by trance View Post
    I might have inherited the stature and alcohol consumption of our ancestors, but Vengur got the ruthless, psychopathic bloodlust.
    Quote Originally Posted by s.rwitt View Post
    New rule: -one player each session will be designated the "Vengur Handler". It is like a dog handler in real life but you have to also pay attention to where his weapon is pointed at all times, make sure he does not have access to a parachute while in a chopper, keep him from running into buildings which the rest of the squad is currently suppressing, etc. An AGM/ACE compatible leash has been added to VAS.

Kilo's Avatar Semisalis

Bought and played this for the first time yesterday...started out as China and was completely destroyed when Japan declared war on me. Any in general tips on how land combat works? (Besides the left click on your unit, right click on the enemy) I've looked through tons of guides and stuff but none of them have given me much help.

Poach's Avatar Civitate

For China:

-Have divisions on each port. 2 or 3 is best. The Japanese will conduct naval landings on undefended ports, you must prevent this.

-Have lots and lots of troops. You need them. Form defensive lines on rivers and difficult terrain (forests, mountains, swamps etc) to blunt Japanese advances.

If you can tell us specifically what's going wrong we can help more, you can get "completely destroyed" by Japan for a hundred different reasons. More specifics, and we'll be able to coach you on your failings better.

Kilo's Avatar Semisalis

I kinda got it figured it out...first game I tried to advance too quickly...this time I deployed most of my divisions along the Yellow River and let them come to me

Just got this game and man, it is HARD! started playing as UK, my forces on france were raped and germany took over everything, while japan now has half of india, so things doesnt look good! At least i managed to defend greece, defeat the italians in africa and now i have sicily and cagliari, while my second amy with the help of the canadians just liberated Norway and Sweden (well sweden didnt surrendered so it is still my enemy while i got all their territores).

I have tried invading italy with 225k men but i lost.... When germany comes i get utterly destroyed, so now i retreated to messina and am holding it since the italians keep attacking it everytime. But anyway... how the hell can i conquer Denmark? Germany has 150k men in Copenhagen that keeps assaulting my province on the other side, i got 70k in there plus 60k canadian men and i am holding but i will lose, and if i do germany will get scandinavia again :/

So in my original plan was to land in jutland and surround the german army in copenhagen but i coudnt hold, i dont know what to do.... it is august 1942 and USA simply doesnt wants to join the allies...

Anyway.. my question is how does supply lines work exactly? in scandinavia i lost 90k men because of lack of supplies, while it was in a territory connected to the port in narvik (canadians got narvik before my troops arrived so i just sent all my men in there)
    Then, as throngs of his enemies bore down upon him and one of his followers said, "They are making at thee, O King," "Who else, pray," said Antigonus, "should be their mark? But Demetrius will come to my aid." This was his hope to the last, and to the last he kept watching eagerly for his son; then a whole cloud of javelins were let fly at him and he fell.

-Plutarch, life of Demetrius.

Arche Aiakidae-Epeiros EB2 AAR

Port level determines how many supply convoys they can take in, but if the Canadians took it, you can't do anything about it...

Trade and influence the US. (Trades help a lot in getting them to like you)

Denmark is probably a lost cause.

Post screenshots of your theaters for more help, the more the better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Vengur View Post
    Baku?
    By Baku in Azerbaijan, you mean Ahvaz in Iran, lol?

Hopit's Avatar Praepositus

how you change your country in this game? I can only choose between Russian, German, American and Japanese campaigns :cry:

Quote Originally Posted by SgtScooter View Post
    If you went to the Skyrim forums you'll see a lot posts about how it's somehow been watered down and hampered by money men making the decisions. Fact is, it's a great game and people still complain. It's the same thing as the TW franchise.