Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Some Animation Mods (and some other things)

Default Some Animation Mods (and some other things)

Dear all,

These are some small animation tweaks, originally made for my own personal enjoyment.
    So far these don't change gameplay, they simply improve immersion. I am, however, planning to make some unit stat changes as well, and eventually I might add some new units too.
    Anyone who wants to include this in another mod can do so (with proper credits, of course).

AUG 3, 2009

What I've done so far:

1. Changed the animation of the trained musket infantry so that they will all march the same way, making the infantry seem much more disciplined and trained.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

2. Changed the marching animations of the untrained infantry so some of them will shoulder their muskets like the line infantry. This actually makes them seem even less trained, because the result is a greater diversity.

3. Changed the man_musket_sabre animations so when charging and in melee some of the men will use sabres and others will use muskets.

4. Changed the musket_axe animation so soldiers using this animation will actually use their axes in melee.

5. This also adds ramrods to cavalrymen reloading their muskets.

UPDATE - AUG 4, 2009

This isn't an animation mod, all it does is modify the higlanders so the officers, drummers, and standard bearers have claymores instead of regular swords, the highlander unit uses claymores rather than bayonets in melee, and the Black Watch officer, drummer, and standard bearer are also highlanders.

UPDATE - AUG 6, 2009

Fixed a mistake in the Animation Mod - thanks to Nordmann for pointing it out.

UPDATE - AUG 12, 2009

Cavalry and officer animations:

1. Added pointing officers and officers using telescopes.

2. Officers raise their swords when an infantry unit halts in order to fire/forms square (but only at the moment the unit stops moving, if he does it while the unit is firing, there is no relation between when he raises his sword and when the unit fires, which looks silly).

3. Cavalry animations - when ordered to attack a unit in melee, only the officer draws his sword. the rest of the men only draw theirs once the actual charge begins.

*There's a small bug with this one - at long distances the rider seems to move faster than the horse, so he slides forward into the air just in front of the horse, and is then teleported back to his saddle. Not sure why this is happening. At a short distance distance, however, when details actually become noticeable, the rider stays in his saddle.

4. Mounted buglers (I still haven't quite succeeded, so the bugler only plays his insturment when the unit is firing).

UPDATE 2

Fixed a bug with the musket sabre animations. Now they charge with both muskets and swords, but fight in melee only with swords. Thanks to Okuto for pointing this out. Let me know if there are still problems with this that I haven't spotted.

UPDATE - AUG 17, 2009

Highlander mod fixed (game doesn't crash, telescopes are visible).

UPDATE - AUG 19, 2009

Uploaded a version of my cavalry mod which only changes officers, leaving regular cavalrymen unchanged.

UPDATE 2

1. Added an alternative Animations mod which makes line infantry (but also irregular infantry) run with their muskets shouldered.
    2. Updated Officer telescopes which also gives European standard bearers the same swords as the officers, and replaces the pikemen's swords with a more appropriate early eighteenth century sword.
    3. Spontoon animations (for those using the Spontoon Mod) - only adds sword raising, the spontoon is still there most of the time.

UPDATE - SEP 3, 2009

Two retextured Spanish units (the faces are from the UP Retexture Project):
    Guardias de Corps (I used danova's Ornamentum mod Spanish carabiniers as a base for this skin)

Guardias de Infanteria.

UPDATE - JAN 28, 2010
    Improved lancer animations (no screenshots yet):
    1. Removes the silly overarm animations that lancers use.
    2. Makes the lancers switch to sabres (tomahawks for Native American lancers) in melee (they charge with lances but fight with swords).
    3. This includes pistol animations for the lancers which I have not implemented (to avoid compatibility issues with various mods), so anyone who knows how to modify the unit_stats_land table can give them pistols.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

DOWNLOAD LINKS:

Updated and Fixed Infantry Animation Mod (mod format):
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=J661GQRI
    Alternative version (modified line infantry running animations):
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=3UPC84ZM

Fixed Highlander Mod (mod format):
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=7012SCGW

Cavalry and Officers Animation Mod (mod format):
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=L7DGQMCG
    Officer Telescopes (THIS FILE IS NECESSARY FOR THE OFFICERS' TELESCOPES TO DISPLAY):
    http://www.gamefront.com/files/20004...e_officer.pack
    Officer Animation Mod (no cavalry):
    http://www.gamefront.com/files/20004...nimations.pack
    Spontoon Animations:
    http://www.filefront.com/14322715/spontoon.pack

Spanish Retextures:
    Guardias de Infanteria:
    http://www.filefront.com/16170341/Gu...fanteria.pack/
    Guardias de Corps:
    http://www.filefront.com/16170327/Gu...de-Corps.pack/
    Thanks to Jarnomiedema and Danova for giving me permission to use parts of their skins

Improved Lancer Animations (patch format):
    http://www.gamefront.com/files/20004127/lancer.pack
    Last edited by tiyafeh; February 13, 2011 at 10:43 AM.

Default Re: Some Animation Mods

Uh, how you do you install it. Does it require you to manually put the lines into your user script file or mod manager to activate it?

It's a patch pack, so it should work if you simply put it in your data folder.

joedreck's Avatar Artifex

Very nice changes. I would like to see a movie of this.
    Edictum mod adds new edicts to Rome II. http://www.twcenter.net / YouTube: Edictum Mod / Click here for Edictum Mod on steam
    Vote Brain Slug for president.

nice mod
    +REP
    My Tools, Tutorials and Resources

Was running out of space, so see the full list here!

Consider the postage stamp: its usefulness consists in the ability to stick to one thing till it gets there.- Josh Billings
    The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.- George Orwell

Very good +rep

Thanks
    I'll be releasing a some more things in a few days.

plissken3's Avatar Decanus

Wow man well done - I think animation is something we do tend to forget about, & can be so effective
    just by changing a few ways the infantry/cavalry move & act can immediately turn a game like ETW into a more pleasurable experience.
    I really would love to see more animation mods
    good luck with your work
    +REP
    WHY NOT TRY MY MODS BELOW - FOR EMPIRE & NAPOLEON
    here:BetterMusicMod& here:SharpeThemeMod
    & here:WarpathPictureMod

After installing, I barely see a difference at all unless my other mods are conflicting with it. Do all Line Infantry use both bayonets and swords if you order them to charge or "fix bayonets" in a battle? Otherwise, it's a nice piece of work.

Quote Originally Posted by plissken3 View Post
    Wow man well done - I think animation is something we do tend to forget about, & can be so effective
    just by changing a few ways the infantry/cavalry move & act can immediately turn a game like ETW into a more pleasurable experience.
    I really would love to see more animation mods
    good luck with your work
    +REP
    Thanks, my thoughts exactly. Don't worry, I have some more tweaks in the making, among other things I'm trying to get mounted drummers to work.

Quote Originally Posted by xSirsALotx View Post
    After installing, I barely see a difference at all unless my other mods are conflicting with it. Do all Line Infantry use both bayonets and swords if you order them to charge or "fix bayonets" in a battle? Otherwise, it's a nice piece of work.
    No, only units (such as some light infantry) which originally charge with muskets and fight using swords. I changed the animations so when they charge and fight in melee some use swords while others use muskets.
    For the line infantry all I changed was the marching animations, which I edited to make them seem more like disciplined soldiers (take a closer look, they should all march with the musket in the same position, rather than three different ones).
    Last edited by tiyafeh; August 03, 2009 at 05:37 PM.

Welshman25's Avatar Centenarius

Very nice! +rep

Praepositus

I've been quite impressed with this mod to say the least...

I've been trying to get mounted musicians to actually play their instruments, but so far that's only partially working.
    For some reason if they use the musician animation while marching they slide off the horse and start walking on foot, but when the rest of the men are firing, they play their instruments properly.
    Any ideas would be appreciated.

In the meantime here's what the mounted bugler looks like when the animations do work:

Quote Originally Posted by tiyafeh View Post
    I've been trying to get mounted musicians to actually play their instruments, but so far that's only partially working.
    For some reason if they use the musician animation while marching they slide off the horse and start walking on foot, but when the rest of the men are firing, they play their instruments properly.
    Any ideas would be appreciated.

In the meantime here's what the mounted bugler looks like when the animations do work:

Well for the buglers, just use a normal cavalry animation.
    And for the drummers.....im not really sure. Have you made a new animation table for them?
    My Tools, Tutorials and Resources

Was running out of space, so see the full list here!

Consider the postage stamp: its usefulness consists in the ability to stick to one thing till it gets there.- Josh Billings
    The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.- George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by EireEmpire View Post
    That's more or less what they use in vanilla ETW - animations-wise they were virtually indistinguishable from regular cavalrymen. What I'm trying to do is to make them more like... buglers, who actually play their instruments. The problem is that I can only get them to use the bugle properly when the cavalry unit is firing.

And for the drummers.....im not really sure. Have you made a new animation table for them?
    Yes, I have made a new animation table. I'm not sure I need to, though, because they seem to work both mounted and dismounted. However the same problem exists as with the mounted bugler, so they only use their drums when the unit is firing. You do however hear the drum sounds when the unit is marching.
    I have another problem with the drummer as well, but nothing can be done about it until we can edit models. Since the drum is made for infantry, when mounted it's placed far too high up the drummer's body, so the left arm partially passes through the drum.

You should do that
    Like this?
    Last edited by tiyafeh; August 04, 2009 at 08:07 AM.

Evile's Avatar Biarchus

Mod is looking fantastic.....+rep
    Mediocrity holds supremacy,
    Integrity still lives so keep your faith in me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1I2IIa4NWVI

titanvoyager's Avatar Biarchus

Very nice changes, this mod improves inmersion a lot! +rep!
    "...to boldly go where no man has gone before."

Updated first post

DaVinci's Avatar TW Modder 2005-2016
    Patrician Artifex

The plastic poisoned and d(r)ying surface of planet Earth in before Armageddon

Cool tweaks

Btw., do your animation-changes fire only if it is done in patch-format?

And another question: Would you have joy to join a dev team that works on a mod that increases realism, historicity and changes the gameplay? Our Empire Realism project would need somebody with your skills.
    Just in case pm me
    # Human impact has a name: Anthropocene # not just Global Warming but Global Disaster NASA # Deforestation # Plastic Emission # The Uninhabitable Earth # To The Savest Place On Earth # Back to cold (hot) war era? Support ICAN International Campaign to Abolish Nuclear Weapons # MIT study "Falsehoods Win" # Violence clearly starts with the word. Arbitrary propaganda is the tool of chauvinists (from anti-feminists to neo fascists/nazis) to spreading their lies which pave the way for actual violence. # "there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, Joseph Wirth. Wirth's comment is still valid, the Right is waiting on Day X. The populist New Right, achieving partially to be viewed as normal people, using democracy to destroy the same. If that wasn't enough, they support the destruction of the environment, the extinction of species, the annihilation of left still working nature. # While seeing the wide spread retardation, ignorance and incompetence on this website and if taking that as average, there is no future for our children, which tendentially wake up and presently try to get a voice. # The renaissance of fascism, partly in new livery, is in full run into a neo dark age, with present dystopia and/or strong tendency, on the entire world. People of the world, unite, against the Right! And no tolerance with the intolerants. # My Modding # The Witcher 3 - LFT (Gameplay Overhaul)

Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast