Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PRO DEO ET REGE II: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Socal_infidel's Avatar PDER Piper

Default PRO DEO ET REGE II: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

PRO DEO ET REGE: FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

Q: What is PRO DEO ET REGE?
    A: PRO DEO ET REGE ("PDER") is a modification for the Kingdoms Expansion that is aimed at providing a longer, more challenging and realistic campaign. PDER seeks to represent all factions during the medieval era in an accurate and balanced manner.

Q: How will PRO DEO ET REGE II differ from PDER 1.0?
    A: PDER II will be a complete overhaul of PDER 1.0. Aside from 6 new factions, some of the things you can expect to see in PDER II include an extensive number of all-new units, a complete reworking of the technological tree, a refinement of the Area of Recruitment system, an all-new map stretching from Lisbon to Samarkand, Mecca to Nidaros, and much much more.

Q: What is the time frame of PDER II?
    A: 1081 – 1453 at two turns per year.

Q: What are the new factions in PDER II?
    A: Thus far, we have confirmed the following new factions: (1) The Kypchaks (2) The County of Toulouse and (3) The Kingdom of Duklja (transitioning to Tsardom of Serbia) (4) Syria/Zengids (5) Khwārazm-Shāh (6) Volga-Kama Bolghar.

Q: What will the starting positions for each faction look like?
    A: See beloe:

Q: Will any of these unrevealed factions be emerging?
    A: Only the Mongols will be emergent. This is because PDER is concerned with setting the stage for the player in the year 1081. What happens after that is entirely up to the player and a faction’s future emergence cannot be accurately depicted within the confines of the Medieval Total War II engine.

In addition, PDER aims to make all factions playable otherwise we feel that, given the faction limit, emerging factions would be wastes of slots.

Q. Color me curious, but what is the criteria for selecting factions?
    A: Again, our aim is to accurately set the stage for the player in the year 1081. Because of this, a faction’s future importance is almost entirely irrelevant, as once the player starts making moves and hits end-turn he is altering the course of “history”. And this new history is unlikely to match real history given the limitations of the game’s engine.

Aside from importance at 1081, the PDER team considers the following factors:

1. Did the proposed faction exist on PDER's map at PDER's start date? If not, how long after the start date did it arise?

2. Was the proposed faction an independent state? If not, did the proposed faction have the makings of viable independent entity/state/body? Was it independent/powerful enough that it could have formed a state under different circumstances? Was the future ruling family in place at the game’s start?

3. Did the proposed faction survive through the mod's timeframe (1081 – 1453)? If not how long did it survive?

4. Did the proposed faction expand into other areas/absorb other cultures/get absorbed by other cultures?

5. The extent of the proposed faction's interactions with other existing factions during the time period? Culturally/Militarily/Politically, Religiously etc.

6. The extent to which the proposed faction can be represented by rebels.

7. Does the faction exist in an area of the map that "needs" a faction for gameplay purposes?

8. How is the proposed faction unique from other factions? Will playing them prove to be an experience unique from other factions? In other words, will this faction be fun to play due to their starting position/circumstances/unique military tradition, etc.

Q: I’ve taken a look at your Campaign Map Preview, why isn’t X province/settlement depicted?
    A: We have sought to represent both East and West in a balanced manner. Unfortunately, there is a 199-province limit to work with and there are a number of provinces we would have liked to have depicted but could not due to this limitation. That said, we feel that we have represented as best as possible the major Duchies, Principalities, Roman Themes, Counties, etc. of the era.

Q: What previews have there been of PDER II?
    A:
    PRO DEO ET REGE II: Unit Previews
    PRO DEO ET REGE II VIDEO PREVIEW: Basileia tōn Rōmaiōn
    PRO DEO ET REGE II: Campaign Map Preview

Q: I like what I see, how can I help?
    A: Please see this thread PRO DEO ET REGE II: HELP REQUIRED
    Last edited by Socal_infidel; December 31, 2009 at 02:19 PM.

Default Re: PRO DEO ET REGE II: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

I will have a very difficult time waiting... this promises to be a great upgrade! Thanks for all your work!!!

diadok's Avatar Senator

"not frequently asked question" :

XAI 3.4 will be directly integrated to PDER 2.0 or not ?

You like EPIC battles ? watch Diadok's Gallery, play Epic Late Campaign for TATW 2.1
    "They rob the poor under the cover of law, forsooth, and we plunder the rich under the protection of our own courage." (Black Sam Bellamy)

Quote Originally Posted by diadok View Post
    "not frequently asked question" :

XAI 3.4 will be directly integrated to PDER 2.0 or not ?
    Yes, as soon as I have implemented the factions into the build I will try to work with xeryx to fully test his awesome XAI into PDER

diadok's Avatar Senator

Icon14 Re: PRO DEO ET REGE II: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

great...
    it will be so close to perfection

You like EPIC battles ? watch Diadok's Gallery, play Epic Late Campaign for TATW 2.1
    "They rob the poor under the cover of law, forsooth, and we plunder the rich under the protection of our own courage." (Black Sam Bellamy)

Quote Originally Posted by diadok View Post
    great...
    it will be so close to perfection
    I wouldn't say close to perfection.. The mode seems too huge and that will be a problem. There might be many bugs, CAI possibly won't work properly as it's very hard to get it used for that many changes. I would personaly recommned implementation XCAI, as it is the only AI which THINKS - you are able to see that it changes its decision, any other AI's always decide the same in the same situation. Only XCAI has a potential to fullfil high AI's expectations. To me, it would be wise to spent time on improving and proper implementation of the AI rather than to expand the map or whatever. How many of you have seen all the new units? How many of you stopped playing the mode because of frustration after 50 turns because of the AI? How many of you have fully enjoyed the scale of the map?

XCAI can still much improve in PDER I, therefore where is the point of creating the second mode? Why is the main aspect left behind? That is only my unprofessional opinion.

But the mode is not out yet and it is very early for us to judge. Can I get any sign of this mode not being dead?

Bump. Updated confirmed faction list.

Senator
    In the icey lands of Norway... which aren't actually icey... more like rainy.

A great new set of factions! I look particually forward for the Volga Bulgarians.

But I wonder will they follow Tengriism or Islam? (I believe both religions were practised by them altough, not sure to what extent)

Quote Originally Posted by Socal_infidel View Post
    Q: What are the new factions in PDER II?
    A: Thus far, we have confirmed the following new factions: (1) The Kypchaks (2) The County of Toulouse and (3) The Kingdom of Duklja (transitioning to Tsardom of Serbia) (4) Syria/Zengids (5) Khwārazm-Shāh (6) Volga-Kama Bolghar.

]

Quote Originally Posted by Socal_infidel View Post

Unrevealed factions not shown of course. But you can guess.

Good to see you back in action

Now you are back and the new factions are revailed perhaps you could update this map

Looking forward

This mod looks wonderful, I dled/played a little bit of 1.0A and I am really enjoying it. Looking forward to 2.0!
    Under the patronage of John I Tzimisces

Bump. Added map of factions' starting positions.

Giorgios's Avatar Campidoctor

Will you be integrating some of the newly released BC units into PDERII? These are my two favourite mods by a long way, so seeing them together would be perfect!

Studpuffin's Avatar Tiro

Gorgeous!

Quote Originally Posted by Giorgios View Post
    Will you be integrating some of the newly released BC units into PDERII? These are my two favourite mods by a long way, so seeing them together would be perfect!
    Yes, I second that motion. The map looks fantastic by the way. Im one of those people, like many I suspect, who spends a long time examining the map and surveying my empire and it makes a huge difference to the game to have an imaginative and accurately depicted map to look at.

Good to see you back as well Socal. Sorry to hear about your problems. Hopefully the new year will usher in a happier time.

Dommageable this Toulouse faction,I agree the difference between the "Oil" and the "Oc" in France,but not faction globaly active.Strong rebels are best.A part of the South France is influenced by the Catalans,the other part is under tutelage of the HRE,with the Kingdom of Burgundy.Maybe interesant to give the capacity of this Toulouse faction(and not capetian) to become a capetian principality in the later times or if she's destroyed?Maybe the Duchy of Burgundy,or an "apanage"(lands for the non-heirs capetians).

Is it possible to put some chooseable factions?
    May be Bosnia? There is a lot of finnished and almost finnished material in Tsardoms Total War and in Patria Libera about Bosnian facton...
    In what year this mod starts?
    Cheers!

billydilly's Avatar Senator

If you had read the first post you would have noticed that PDER starts in 1081 and includes The Kingdom of Duklja (Serbia).
    CPU: Intel i7-8700. GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Armor 8G. RAM: Corsair Vengance, 16Gb HD: Kingston SSD 240Gb (System), Samsung 850 Evo SSD 500Gb (Steam), Western Digital 500Gb. PSU: Corsair CX600W

diadok's Avatar Senator

Hi Socal,
    XAI 4.0 will come soon, PDER 2.0 will use it ?

I have a question for you. Considering trying out this mod again but as I recall all of the names were not in english. Will there be a optional text format we can choose from? I cant stand names that arent in english.

billydilly's Avatar Senator

They are not in english, but it is very easy to change the names (look in the "text" folder).
    CPU: Intel i7-8700. GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Armor 8G. RAM: Corsair Vengance, 16Gb HD: Kingston SSD 240Gb (System), Samsung 850 Evo SSD 500Gb (Steam), Western Digital 500Gb. PSU: Corsair CX600W

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast