Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reform of the English Premier League

DekuTrash's Avatar Human Directional
    Content Emeritus

Default Re: Reform of the English Premier League

A playoff system in the EPL would be neat.

Top.....8? teams square off.

But with a 38 game season that might be hard to do

Quote Originally Posted by DekuTrash View Post

that for a laugh.

Imagine winning the league by 12 points then getting pumped by the 8th place team who had like 32 points less.

It's good in American Football, but over here it would never work and should never happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny_K_1 View Post
    They tried to protest in Glasgow and someone was raped at their camp. Moral of the story is children: do not camp overnight in Glasgow City Centre.
    Post of The Year 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Ima Farmathar View Post
    knowing what is about to happen I whisper in her ear,
    “do you know what makes us different from other animals?, We follow our prey, a lion or a tiger gets bored and follows something else, we persist” -------------------------------------------------------------------
    yhea i once did that, to a girl in higschool, i pressured her until she agreed to go sailing in a 10 ft baue, but she almost drowned so i no longer try that

Content Emeritus

But it would be hilarious watching Villa beat ManU in the second round

But it would be hilarious watching Villa beat ManU in the second round
    Actually that does sound like fun. Imagine the teams from 5th to 8th made the Champs League and the top 4 never?

Suddenly, I'm all for this.

They tried to protest in Glasgow and someone was raped at their camp. Moral of the story is children: do not camp overnight in Glasgow City Centre.
    Post of The Year 2011
    “do you know what makes us different from other animals?, We follow our prey, a lion or a tiger gets bored and follows something else, we persist” -------------------------------------------------------------------
    yhea i once did that, to a girl in higschool, i pressured her until she agreed to go sailing in a 10 ft baue, but she almost drowned so i no longer try that

Content Emeritus

Imagine the uproar of ManU fans.

But we were at the top of the table!!!!

I hadn't thought of CL qualification, just for the EPL Title

ManU finishing at the top of the table yet losing to Aston Villa in the second round yet being a top qaulifier for the CL

Here's an example, I used the NFL bracket which as you know has 12 teams and gives top seeds a bye, could possibly take that out and just have the top 8 teams compete. As for selection a draw could work, Group 1 & 2. Don't know how home team can be determined. Battles for the last spots in the playoffs as the season winds down could get interesting

(I used last years standings and just alternated the selections)

or with top 8

Unlikely to happen, but I've grown tired of seeing the same teams winning year in and year out in many the top leagues of the world. I'm a big Barca fan but man I lost interest when it was basically said and done halfway, even though Real made the push I mainly stuck to the CL with them.
    Last edited by DekuTrash; July 25, 2009 at 06:18 PM.

vizi's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Salary cap works...until you get a lockout. Ala what is going to happen in the NFL for the 2011 season. Unless something changes.

Content Emeritus

Hope that doesn't happen

vizi's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

The other problem with a salary cap is, that it only really works if you have a monopoly on the sport.

Look at the NHL. Jiri Hudler is going to arbitration because the NHL is trying to block his move to the Russian League. The Red Wings are not going to over pay him. So he will end up leaving. Jagr has left. More to come soon.

Roman_Wolf's Avatar Campidoctor

naa that would be a horrible thing to do. Imagine losing an entire year's hard work by a simple fluke at some playoff match.
    Besides, isn't that what the cup tournaments are for.

The budget cap might be a good idea, but it has to be a Fifa thing where all teams in all countries are governed by the same cap.
    Love is the most powerful thing on Earth, unless you have access to weaponry.

Musthavename's Avatar Bunneh Ressurection
    Somewhere in the room you're currently in.

Actually, a play-off system to decide CL spots I think would be a good idea. The problem with the so-called "top 4" is that they qualify, get the money, and then because of that money can hang onto that top 4 spot. Allowing other teams to get freak qualification to the CL if they win a "cup-style" match would help balance that bit out and let them compete somewhat.

( 1st v 8th ) v ( 4th v 5th )
    ( 2nd v 7th ) v ( 3rd v 6th )

Win your first match, you get entry into the qualifying rounds of the CL. Win your second match, you automatically qualify. Lose, and you get UEFA (or Europa as it will now be known).

Despite being a Man Utd fan and stand to lose out because of this, i'd be all for it!
    Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of the day.
    Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Solid Snake's Avatar Vicarius

This is hilarious and I will tell you why, here in Mexico we have a league like you guys, top 16 qualify to a cup torunament thing, and they square off.... bla bla bla, and here it has NEVER, NVER happened that the team on top of the table wins the tournament, for years we have wanted to change it to your style but our system is such a money drainer that it´s going to stay for good.
    Some of you will hate it, and some will like it. For instance in our past tournament we had a team which was fighting to avoid descent, well this team managed to get to semi-finals on the post season and the past champion got his ass kicked by this team who played horribly the regular season.
    Just some thoughts from someone who has experienced it.
    Salary tops are a must for football I must say
    Do check my AAR "The Proud Blood of Germania"
    Formerly known as JerichoOnlyFan.
    And my other AAR: "The Black Serpent"

To be fair think about if you were a footballer. If I was offered over a 100 grand a week to play at Man City, and I was at my supported and favourite club, Blues, there is no way in hell I would refuse.

emotion_name's Avatar Protector Domesticus

In my opinion we should just let it be, watch as football kills itself and then we all go back to watching real sports, like rugby, where the players are playing for love of sport, not coz Nike or whoever will pay them to wear a ing t-shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by emotion_name View Post
    In my opinion we should just let it be, watch as football kills itself and then we all go back to watching real sports, like rugby, where the players are playing for love of sport, not coz Nike or whoever will pay them to wear a ing t-shirt.
    Believe it or not, there are some players who play for their love of football.

Post of The Year 2011

I think American baseball might be a better inspiration for reform than the NFL, as it's setup is much more simular to European football clubs.

It has the same club setup, with lower "farm" teams training talent for a "Major League" team. There is no salary cap, and a few rich clubs spend vast amounts of cash on salaries. Poaching of talent is common place, as well as rich investor owners.

However, MLB has set up limited revenue sharing within the league, so poor clubs don't collapse. Also there is a special "draft", whereby a team can offer a major league contract to a player in someone elses development program, which can only be blocked if the club owning the player brings him into the major leagues. This has kept the big clubs from hording talent in their minor league teams. There also is a division and playoff system that allows less than average teams a chance to make it into post season competition.

Overall, baseball still is dominated by a handfull of very rich clubs (Yankee's, Red Sox, Cardinals, Dodgers etc.), but there is still enough competition top allow even the lowest clubs to accend to the top (most recently the Rays). All without a salary cap or a (meaningful) draft.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12