Foederatus

Default Re: PRO DEO ET REGE II: Campaign Map Preview

map looks amazing.

still, i want to point out some inaccuracies:

moldova capital at that time was Baia, closer to the carpathian mountains
    second was Siret, around 1350
    and only after that, suceava

iassy was moldavian capital only in 1564

regardin silistra, as capital of bulgaria, this is really wrong. silistra was at best capital of dobrudja
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dobruja

maybe you'll add this region and bulgaria will have as capital Tarnovo.

TiTiTimmy's Avatar Centenarius

Looking great +rep
    Wanted for:
    Breaking and gluing back together and trying to pass off as never being broken in the first place.
    Assault with a weapon that couldn't have possibly been deadly, but unfortunately was

"You know what they say: give a man a fish, and he'll stink up the whole town. Give a man a fishing rod -- see where I'm going here? Give him a fishing rod and he'll poke your eye out."

Rep goes both ways, just leave your name

izanagi11's Avatar Semisalis

Quite nice, I must say. Always looking forward to next version!
    "The shape of you, the shape of me, the shape of everything I see.."

Colonel Cleg McLeg's Avatar Decanus
    Cardiff or Wrexham, in Wales, depending on the time of year.

Nice work, but your name for your Welsh province, Ynys Môn, is incorrect. Ynys Môn is the Welsh name for Anglesey, the island off the north-western coast of the country (i.e, where Aberffraw is located on your map). Cymru is the Welsh name for Wales.

carricanta's Avatar Going Nowhere Fast!

Awesome!

I like to see Santiago de Compostela in the northwest Iberia... it´s a pity!

Great Socal, Great!!

Socal_infidel's Avatar PDER Piper

what will be the new faction list for pder2?
    Secret for now. Well, not really. Have already confirmed (1) Serbia (starts out House of Vojislavljevićevolves to House of Nemanjić) (2) Kypchaks (3) Tolosa. Replacing one faction that did not exist at start date and adding two other Islamic factions. So three unknown factions for now.

The fort placement makes me excited!
    Me too. At least for the time being, the PSFs represent actual fortified positions/settlements/strongholds. They are not intended to be cities for the most part. Provided I can work out the model issues, secondary cities will be represented in a different manner.

@ Hekk, ST. Toma, Colonel Cleg McLeg

Thanks for the input. Changes made to map. Will implement in-game soon enough.

I just hope you change 1 thing and that is the HRE will have almost no change surviving (wenn AI) if you see the number of provinces they have and look at france for example but if toulouse still is a faction then it probebly wont mind so mush
    I actually posted a slightly older settlement map. Troyes replaces Reims, basically. And Aix replaces Marseille (Marseilles becomes the port)

France will begin with Ile-de-France, Poitou, Auvergne, Bourgogne (the one with Dijon as capital).

HRE will begin with Niederlothringen, Oberlothringen, Bourgogne, Savoie, Sachsen, Schleswig-Holstein, Marken, Franken, Schwaben, Bayern, Ostmark, Kärnten.

As you can see, not much to worry about for the HRE. If anything, I fear for France

Don't use the hungarian name Erdely because all the people from Transylvania dislike that name.
    Don't mean to offend, but as far as I can tell that's how the province would have been referred to in 1081. I have strived to be as accurate as possible with the map with that date in mind.

moldova capital at that time was Baia, closer to the carpathian mountains
    Wasn't aware of that. Thank you. Will likely implement this change.

regardin silistra, as capital of bulgaria, this is really wrong. silistra was at best capital of dobrudja
    Again, as far as I was able to determine, in 1081 Silistra would have been the capital of the Byzantine Theme of Paristrion. As I mentioned, I am trying to set the stage for the player as the world would have been in 1081. Where it goes from there (even one turn later) is up to the player. That said, if Tarnovo was the capital of this Roman theme I'll gladly change it.

Couple of other things:

1] I have to admit, I am really pleased with the choice of settlements and provinces. I feel I have done a better job than I did in PDER 1.0. The world as a whole is better represented I think. In choosing provinces/settlements I have tried to represent:

a) The major Duchies/Counties/Marquisates/Marches/Principalities/Byzantine Themes at the time. If you look at the map, you'll see for the most part I have done that. Along those lines, I have deliberately avoided (with the exception of Tuscany) placing two cities to represent a single Duchy, County, Theme, etc.

2] Due to province limitations, the provinces/settlements I most regret not depicting (in order)

-Northern March/March of the Billungs
    -Upper Hungary Province
    -Murcia
    -Sfax
    -Hormozgān

2] I am surprised no one has commented upon the lack of province borders on the strat map. Consider them gone permanently. I have always felt it extremely stupid to be able to halt your army right on the edge of the border without encroaching accidently upon another's territory. Plus, they look ugly and ruin my beautiful map.

3] If you run across him, please rep gigantus. His work on the coastlines is amazing and really he was invaluable in the creation of this map. Before I began work on this, I literally had no clue how to map. The tutorials made my head spin. gigantus really clarified things and was an amazing mentor in the creation process. And again the coastline work is top-notch. He did the hard part (teach a dummy to map and make smooth coastlines)!
    Last edited by Socal_infidel; July 26, 2009 at 02:11 PM.

Dr. Jones's Avatar Tiro

Wow. Extremly high quality!

Quote Originally Posted by firekiller View Post
    Keep up the good work! perhaps you could post a map whit the factions start positions ?

Unrevealed factions not shown of course. But you can guess.

Last edited by Socal_infidel; July 26, 2009 at 02:41 PM.

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Socal_infidel View Post

India!

There must be a reason why you extended the map out to Khwarezm.

Stephan's Avatar Campidoctor

why do the moors dont own any provinces in spain? makes the reconquista very pointless.

Yes, I know that Ishtar is spelled wrong

Pnutmaster's Avatar Dominus Qualitatium

1) The Moors did not hold Cordoba at the start of the game, much in the same way that Portugal was not a Kingdom.

2) If you've played PDER 1.0, you'll recall that many of the slave settlements in Iberia are Islamic and garrisoned by Islamic units. They present the minor factions. The reconquista, now led by only two Christian Spanish Kingdoms, should have its hands full
    Under the patronage and bound to the service of the
    artist formerly known as Squeakus Maximus
    Stoic Pantheist of S.I.N

Senator
    In the icey lands of Norway... which aren't actually icey... more like rainy.

Quote Originally Posted by Socal_infidel View Post

That looks awesome with the factions shown, makes it look very EB-esque.

I'm glad to see you took out Portugal as well (didn't exist in 1080), I'm hoping it's slot will be used for something more deserving! Its also good to hear that two of the unrevealed factions will be Islamic, this should balance out things well I should think!

Altough I didn't notice until you told us (thought this was just a display thing), I hope there will be province borders for the rebel faction like in PDER1. For me atleast, it makes it the provinces look more divided and independent, which is a fitting look for the rebel faction and unfitting for others.

Also by looking at the campaign map and from the revealed information, I'm guessing the three new factions will be... (sorry, just so excited! =P)

1 - Chernigov:
    Russian state between Novgorod and the Kypchaks. Reason for the guess is because they have a good number of regions to start with (3 regions by the looks of it) and because it would give a great extra opportunity to use Ruischi units!

2 - Damascus :
    Syrian state between the Armenians and the Egyptians. Reason being that they have a good number of regions to start/expand to and it could be a big worry for the Egyptians (which the Egyptians in most campaigns usually don't have) and because there seems to be a factionless void in the Levant.

3 - Khwarezm :
    A recent Persian/Turkic state in Central Asia. Reason for the guess, is that there is a big rebel void in that region and so that the Seljuks will have something to worry about (other than their cities rebelling!), and because they became quite a large and important empire later (even though by 1080, they were quite small and were just a break-away state of the Seljuks)

And as you can see, looking very much forward to PDER2!
    Last edited by hekk; July 27, 2009 at 12:10 PM.

Looks amazing!

Hail!

You should use the name Erdély or Erdőelve for Transylvania. They are in Hungarian, meaning "region over the forest", because after the Hungarian Plain (Alföld) were great forests. The Latin name, Transsylvania means the same (Sylvania - land of forests, trans - over).
    Some reasons of the Hungarian name:
    1, The ethnicity of Transylvania was nearly 80% Hungarian in 1081, the others were Pechenegs, Bulgars, and Slavs. In the 1150' German ("Saxon") settlers settled in South Transylvania (Szászföld or Királyföld, lit. Saxon's land and King's land) and around 1200 Rumans/Valahs/Blahs (ancestors of modern Romanians) appeared in South Transylvania (between two German region, in Fogarasföld, where Pechenegs and Slavs also lived). The Romanians became majority in Transylvania in the XVIth century.
    2, Transylvania was an important historical region of Hungary before 1920, it was the part of the Kingdom of Hungary in 1081.

So you should use the name Erdőelve, because Erdély is a bit later form of this word, but with the same meaning.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephan View Post
    why do the moors dont own any provinces in spain? makes the reconquista very pointless.
    As others have mentioned, at the mod start the Almoravids did not hold any Iberian possessions. The rebel possession in Southern Iberia represent the various Taifa kingdoms.

In the hands of the player, the Almoravids should obviously target these first.

In the hands of the AI, a stack will spawn in Iberia once Castile-Leon conquers Toledo. The stack should be fairly substantial enough to start taking these Iberian provinces and kickstarting the Reconquista.

It's the best map i've ever seen!
    Waiting PDER 2.0

Tadzreuli's Avatar Chevalier Blanche

amazing map, Socal ! when it will be used with download ?

Very nice

I also love your choice of settlements - I would use Skara in Västergötland though.
    Gesaga him éac wordum, ţćt híe sint wilcuman Deniga léodum

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

3] If you run across him, please rep gigantus. His work on the coastlines is amazing and really he was invaluable in the creation of this map. Before I began work on this, I literally had no clue how to map. The tutorials made my head spin. gigantus really clarified things and was an amazing mentor in the creation process. And again the coastline work is top-notch. He did the hard part (teach a dummy to map and make smooth coastlines)!
    Now that went down like hot chocolate with marsh mellows!

You have taken it to a nice level, anymore help and you know where to get hold of me.

\Vazul's Ghost/'s Avatar Senator

The map in PDER contains all the things that when I look at other mods maps I say; "Damn I wish they had included that".

Awesome work Socal & Gigantus. Can't wait for PDER II, its going to take Medieval II playing to a whole new level of enjoyment.
    γνῶθι σεαυτόν ~ μηδὲν ἄγαν

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast