Page 1 of 51 123456789101126 ... LastLast

Thread: DBEditor 1.8

Default DBEditor 1.8

DBEditor is an editor/viewer that takes a relational approach to the db tables that contain most of ETW's game variables. It looks at the ETW data directory, finds all tables in all pack files, and presents them as a bunch of tables like you're used to from the PackFileManager. But DBEditor blows away PFM's editor - it is much more robust, functional, and convenient.

You navigate between tables with the combo box at the top left of the form. Read-only tables are gray while editable tables are black and bold. The aggregate tables are underlined and the file tables are indented underneath the aggregates. What are aggregates and file tables? Read on...

Click for screenshot.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

When ETW starts up, it reads all the db tables and it has to reconcile where two pack files have a db table with the same name, or two different db tables of the same type have rows with the same primary key. I have reproduced this aggregation of the tables in the read-only aggregate view. It shows cells that have been "modified" (one file table's cell overlapping another) in red and you can mouse-over the modified cells to get a tooltip of the original value. The "aggregate table" doesn't actually correspond to any file in a pack, so I call the tables that do correspond to files in a pack "file tables."

Click for screenshot.

Another very nifty feature is the foreign key combo box. Instead of error-prone free text entry, the combo box lists the valid options for columns which have been determined to be linked to another column (usually in a different table).

For example, every row in "unit_stats_land" must have a unique value for the "Unit" column (this is called the primary key), and furthermore because the "Unit" column is a "foreign key" of "unit_table:ID" each value must first be defined in that table; because unit_stats_land depends on unit_table, it is called a child table and the unit_table is called a parent table.

Click for screenshot.

Other features:
    - support for adding new tables of the current type either to an existing pack file or a new pack file
    - support for table renaming and deletion
    - robust copy/cut/paste/clone support: entire rows can be copied/cut to the clipboard and then pasted to tables of the same type, or a single cell's value can be copied and pasted into one or more selected target cells
    - support for undoing modifications to selected rows
    - see modified values in red and new rows in green
    - option to automatically make timestamped backups when pack files are saved
    - option to make CA pack files read-only (e.g. main.pack, patch.pack, models.pack, etc.)
    - option to freeze primary key column(s) so horizontal scrolling preserves context
    - somewhat robust handling of tables which CA added new columns to in recent patches
    - right-click column header - runtime renaming of columns and saving the new names to the XSD schema
    - "Find Relations" - automagical search for relations between columns and saving the new relations to the XSD schema
    - "Find" - search all cells for a user-specified substring
    - support for picking primary key at runtime (but this should be used pretty rarely)

The program is definitely not free of bugs, but it should be at least as useful as the PFM's db table editor and probably much more useful.

Change log:
    Code:
    Changes in 1.8:
    - added patch3.pack to internal CA pack file list
    - fixed load order for pack files which replace other pack files (e.g. patch3.pack replaces patch2.pack, which replaces patch.pack)

Changes in 1.7:
    - added persistence for the user-selected ETW path
    - fixed bugged pack file writing
    - added persistence of the mysterious new integer and string in patch2.pack
    - fixed trimming of extended properties on schema write
    - fixed incorrect keyref in technologies_tables
    - disabled the "new row" at the bottom of the grid because setting up default values was problematic; it has been replaced by an "Add Row" menu item
    - added a list in the PackLoadingDialog to allow the user to control the load order of selected mod packs (thanks Jinarik)

Changes in 1.6.1:
    - fixed schema for advice_levels_tables, factions_tables, and quotes_tables (revealed by patch 1.5)
    - fixed writing of version 1 pack files (i.e. patch2.pack if someone really wants to modify that)
    - fixed load order of pack files (now it's by type and then by version)

Changes in 1.6:
    - fixed table writing to not use hard-coded version signatures
    - fixed table reading to try multiple versions of a table if EndOfStreamException happens (i.e. not trusting it to be the version the table says it is)
    - added ErrorBox dialog, improved exception handling

Changes in 1.5.2:
    - fixed NullReferenceException from returning a null string (thanks Jinarik)
    - fixed race condition caused by exiting in PackLoadingDialog (thanks Jinarik)
    - merged Swiss Halberdier's DB.xsd (renaming about a dozen unknown columns)
    - improved performance of copy-rows-to-clipboard by a few orders of magnitude (oops)
    - fixed column order in factions_tables and renamed a few unknown columns (thanks alpaca)

Changes in 1.5.1:
    - fixed wrong signature written for units_tables

Changes in 1.5:
    - updated for patch 1.4 (thanks alpaca)
    - fixed DB parser so that future DB.xsd updates won't require code changes

Changes in 1.4:
    - partially addressed an exception caused by foreign key columns referring to values absent from the parent table
    - fixed handling of format exceptions during paste
    - added a "Constrain Referring Columns" option to the View menu so that users can work around errors caused by tables which violate foreign key constraints
    - added PackLoadingDialog to allow the user to choose which packs to load (thanks Jinarik)
    - added custom implementation of DataGridViewAutoFilter* to fix column sorting (thanks Jinarik)
    - added bold font to packs in PackLoadingDialog that are in the currently selected pack file directory(s) (thanks Jinarik)
    - added user settings for saving and restoring pack file directories and selected pack files

Changes in 1.3:
    - added check for clipboard contents after changing the selected table
    - fixed user's ability to add and delete rows on read only tables
    - fixed bug where new rows would put empty strings in DBNullable columns instead of DBNull
    - switched from enforcing constraints to showing constraint violations as row errors
    - improved refreshing of the table/DataGridView after cell edits
    - fixed error in DataError handler when the DataRow is in the detached state
    - made some small fixes in alpaca's TSV changes which add copy/pasting to/from Excel or OpenOffice Calc:
      * removed broken trimming of whitespace
      * added support for CRLF line endings
      * renewed support for pasting a single value to multiple cells
      * renewed merging of rows with existing primary keys
    - turned off constraint enforcement
    - improved naming of file table relations
    - fixed AddNewTableDialog to select first existing pack (if one or more exists)
    - fixed misapplied bitwise logic when checking shortcut keys in CopyPasteDataGridView
    - fixed minimum selected row count needed to enable "Cut"
    - added taxes_effects_jct to table definitions

Changes in 1.2:
    - fixed decimal point separator bug

Changes in 1.1:
    - fixed KeyNotFoundException bug when data directory had no mod packs
    - fixed AddNewTableDialog to respect the CA-packs-are-read-only option, to create mod packs instead of release packs, and to disallow creating a new pack file with the same name as an existing pack file
    - fixed behavior of adding a file table with the same name as an existing table (if the pack file that contains the new table has the same precedence or higher, it overwrites the file, otherwise the add does nothing)
    - added error condition for missing data directory
    -fixed Exit menu item

Requires .NET 3.5 to be installed if you don't already have it:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Download DBEditor from SourceForge:
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/etw...8.zip/download
    Last edited by LtChambers; January 08, 2010 at 09:20 PM. Reason: updated version

33orion77's Avatar Tiro

Default Re: DBEditor 1.0

That is Awesome! I still need to figure out exactly how it work but I see the potential Great! + Rep
    Check out:
    ''Ancien Régime'' a ETW Re-texture Project ( France, Poland-lithuania, etc...)
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=245857
    Regalia of Nations ( Flag, sounds, uniforms, effects mod):
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1189

When I start this baby up. I get this error message.

See the end of this message for details on invoking
    just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
    System.Collections.Generic.KeyNotFoundException: The given key was not present in the dictionary.
    at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowKeyNotFoundException()
    at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.get_Item(TKey key)
    at DBEditor.DBWorkspace..ctor(String packFileRootDirectory)
    at DBEditor.DBEditorForm.Form1_Shown(Object sender, EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnShown(EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackHelper(Object obj)
    at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.runTryCode(Object userData)
    at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.RuntimeHelpers.ExecuteCodeWithGuaranteedCleanup(TryCode code, CleanupCode backoutCode, Object userData)
    at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallback(ThreadMethodEntry tme)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbacks()

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
    mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4016 (NetFxQFE.050727-4000)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
    ----------------------------------------
    DBEditor
    Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Administrator/Desktop/Games/EmpireTW/DBEditor/DBEditor.exe
    System.Windows.Forms
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
    System
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
    System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
    Common
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Administrator/Desktop/Games/EmpireTW/DBEditor/Common.DLL
    System.Core
    Assembly Version: 3.5.0.0
    Win32 Version: 3.5.30729.1 built by: SP
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/3.5.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
    System.Data
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_64/System.Data/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Data.dll
    System.Xml
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
    To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
    application or computer (machine.config) must have the
    jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
    The application must also be compiled with debugging
    enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
    </configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
    will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
    rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Hmm, try moving all the 3rd party (mod) packs out of your data directory and see if it loads then. Then put them back in one by one to see which one is causing the problem and post it.

alpaca's Avatar Harbinger of saliva

Nice to see you finally release this baby

No thing is everything. Every thing is nothing.

Excellent work and fantastic control of many pack files (including installed mods) same time !

very good to have a new tool thank you.

Vicarius

I get an error message upon opening and I get a new error message for everything I do beyond that. It won't even close itself. I had hoped this would work because I couldn't edit the DB files with the PFM.
    Member of S.I.N.

I've been looking forward to this. Great work!

Quote Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
    I get an error message upon opening and I get a new error message for everything I do beyond that. It won't even close itself. I had hoped this would work because I couldn't edit the DB files with the PFM.
    Can you be a bit more specific? It's hard to help from "an error message." For those of you with lots of mods already in your data directory, it's probably best to start from a clean data directory (no mods) and then slowly add the mods back until you find which one is causing a problem.

I have no mods installed and Im still gettimg the error. Not sure whats causing the crash. It might be my system. I dunno... I can't seem to get this program to work.

Very well done! I didn't think you could surpass your PFM! and I even thought that was amazing! Well done chap

oh wait! It's coming up with a tonne of errors even as soon as I start it help please! When I try and start this thing up the error is:

System.IO.InvalidDataException: unknown db schema version
    at DBEditor.DBDataSet.readTable(DataTable table, BinaryReader reader)
    at DBEditor.DBDataSet.ReadDB(DataTable table, Byte[] DBByteArray)
    at DBEditor.DBEditorForm.readPackedDB(PackedFile file, DataTable table, Boolean initialize)
    at DBEditor.DBEditorForm.DBTablesComboBox_SelectedIndexChanged(Object sender, EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripComboBox.OnSelectedIndexChanged(EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripComboBox.HandleSelectedIndexChanged(Object sender, EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ComboBox.OnSelectedIndexChanged(EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ComboBox.set_SelectedIndex(Int32 value)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripComboBox.set_SelectedIndex(Int32 value)
    at DBEditor.DBEditorForm.Form1_Shown(Object sender, EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnShown(EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Form.CallShownEvent()
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackDo(ThreadMethodEntry tme)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackHelper(Object obj)
    at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.runTryCode(Object userData)
    at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.RuntimeHelpers.ExecuteCodeWithGuaranteedCleanup(TryCode code, CleanupCode backoutCode, Object userData)
    at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
    at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallback(ThreadMethodEntry tme)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbacks()

mscorlib
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3074 (QFE.050727-3000)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
    DBEditor
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Steve%20new/DBEditor/DBEditor.exe
    System.Windows.Forms
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3053 (netfxsp.050727-3000)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
    System
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
    System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
    Common
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Steve%20new/DBEditor/Common.DLL
    System.Core
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/3.5.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
    System.Data
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_32/System.Data/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Data.dll
    System.Xml
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
    Last edited by King Beowulf; July 25, 2009 at 04:06 AM.

Just checked it. Thank you for your new tool.

I have noticed that the db file "unit_movement_modifier tables" is not read properly. (It neglects the decimal places).

For example:
    1 stays 1
    0,45 becomes 45

You say that in your language the numbers that are read from the db are coming up without the fractional part? That wouldn't make any sense because the numbers aren't stored as strings. I can only understand this if you have edited the numbers using commas for decimal points and then the program turned those numbers into integers instead of what you expected.

Aha nevermind it works for me now thank you

System.Collections.Generic.KeyNotFoundException: Данный ключ отсутствует в словаре.
    в System.ThrowHelper.ThrowKeyNotFoundException()
    в System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.get_Item(TKey key)
    в DBEditor.DBWorkspace..ctor(String packFileRootDirectory)
    в DBEditor.DBEditorForm.Form1_Shown(Object sender, EventArgs e)
    в System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnShown(EventArgs e)
    в System.Windows.Forms.Form.CallShownEvent()
    в System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackDo(ThreadMethodEntry tme)
    в System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackHelper(Object obj)
    в System.Threading.ExecutionContext.runTryCode(Object userData)
    в System.Runtime.CompilerServices.RuntimeHelpers.ExecuteCodeWithGuaranteedCleanup(TryCode code, CleanupCode backoutCode, Object userData)
    в System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
    в System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
    в System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallback(ThreadMethodEntry tme)
    в System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbacks()

************** Загруженные сборки **************
    mscorlib
    Версия сборки: 2.0.0.0
    Версия Win32: 2.0.50727.3053 (netfxsp.050727-3000)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
    DBEditor
    Версия сборки: 1.0.0.0
    Версия Win32: 1.0.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///D:/Games/Empire%20-%20Total%20War/DBEditor.exe
    System.Windows.Forms
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
    System
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
    System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
    Common
    Версия сборки: 1.0.0.0
    Версия Win32: 1.0.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///D:/Games/Empire%20-%20Total%20War/Common.DLL
    System.Windows.Forms.resources
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms.resources/2.0.0.0_ru_b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.resources.dll
    System.Core
    Версия сборки: 3.5.0.0
    Версия Win32: 3.5.30729.1 built by: SP
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/3.5.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
    System.Data
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_32/System.Data/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Data.dll
    System.Xml
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
    mscorlib.resources
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll

Looks great so far. I need to dig in futher, but great job.

There are some features of PFM missing. Will we see them in a later version or is the Editor more like an additional tool than a replacement of PFM?

Features i find missing from PFM at my first view:
    - Selection of Pack type, as for building MP-Mods and new Loc-files we need Patch and Movie format
    - Possibility to just unpack CA packs, espacially non supported tables and Files to alter them in i.e. with a Hex-Editor
    - Possibility to open Packs outside the original ETW-Folder (i use a copy in another directory to work on a mod).

No big deal, if we still have the PFM availible....
    Bladerunner
    Koeniglich Preussische Marine
    Sealords Virtual Fleets

Sealords Minimod: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=274322
    Sealords Total War Mod: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=246265

I get this error when I try to start it:

See the end of this message for details on invoking
    just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    at System.Data.Extensions.GetTableType(DataTable table)
    at DBEditor.DBEditorForm.fileToolStripMenuItem_DropDownOpening(Object sender, EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDownItem.OnDropDownShow(EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.OnDropDownShow(EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDownItem.ShowDropDownInternal()
    at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDownItem.ShowDropDown(Boolean mousePush)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.OnMouseButtonStateChange(MouseEventArgs e, Boolean isMouseDown)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.OnMouseDown(MouseEventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseDown(MouseEventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEventInteractive(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEvent(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseDown(MouseEventArgs mea)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseDown(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.MenuStrip.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

mscorlib
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
    DBEditor
    CodeBase: file:///G:/DBEditor_1-0/DBEditor.exe
    System.Windows.Forms
    System
    System.Drawing
    Common
    CodeBase: file:///G:/DBEditor_1-0/Common.DLL
    System.Core
    System.Data
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_32/System.Data/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Data.dll
    System.Xml

************** JIT Debugging **************
    To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
    application or computer (machine.config) must have the
    jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
    The application must also be compiled with debugging
    enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
    </configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
    will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
    rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Fantastic!

Thanks for the tool.

It should make it much easier for modding (less spelling mistakes and CTD's !!)

ALSO DEVELOPERS CAMERA

Pessimism is a term used by Optimists, to attempt to discredit those who see the world as it really is!

Quote Originally Posted by Bladerunner View Post
    Looks great so far. I need to dig in futher, but great job.

There are some features of PFM missing. Will we see them in a later version or is the Editor more like an additional tool than a replacement of PFM?

Features i find missing from PFM at my first view:
    - Selection of Pack type, as for building MP-Mods and new Loc-files we need Patch and Movie format
    - Possibility to just unpack CA packs, espacially non supported tables and Files to alter them in i.e. with a Hex-Editor
    - Possibility to open Packs outside the original ETW-Folder (i use a copy in another directory to work on a mod).

No big deal, if we still have the PFM availible....
    I would like to add

-Ability to sort tables by one attribute

Page 1 of 51 123456789101126 ... LastLast