Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How is your current MTW- or Shogun-campaign going?

Default Re: How is your current MTW- or Shogun-campaign going?

A brave (and foolish) last stand.

Quote Originally Posted by Axalon View Post
    Oki, since many people usually seem to appreciate threads like this one, maybe we could get more activity in the section as a result (it’s worth a try at least)? I think that this thread should get a second chance – and thus a bump. I’ve found an old and rather funny pic of mine as an excuse for it. I give you; “None shall pass”. Enjoy…

– Sometimes it really does take a champion to defend a bridge… (In spoiler)

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Get someone to go under the bridge with a spear and stab him in the testes like the battle of stamford bridge!

Indefinitely Banned
    Sundaleiði in Risør kommune, NORWAY (Home of giants)

Sorry for being very off-topic, but I just got this game and I must ask:
    Is there any preference.cfg like in Medieval II(medieval2.preference) where I can change options like resolution, graphic options, sound, fatigue and things like that?

Sadly no, as far as I know. Medieval.cfg is there, but it's not plain text.

Retired moderator of TWC
    | Under the patronage of Atterdag

Axalon's Avatar She-Hulk wills it!

Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    Get someone to go under the bridge with a spear and stab him in the testes like the battle of stamford bridge!
    That's just unsporting... Champions deserves better treatment then that.

Here is the current status of my SHOGUN:TW campaign. I have selected the Shimazu-Clan starting in the Sengoku Jidai era. My awesome Geisha has killed four faction leaders. The second last was Lord Mori on Shikoku Island. But this was merely for training as I have conquered all his provinces except one. The last Daimyo she killed was Lord Uesugi during the current turn (spring 1562). He controlled all the eastern provinces of Honshu, all the Ronin territories you can see on the mini map.

Only Oda and Imagawa left (and maybe some reappearing Daimyos). As you can see on my neighbour provinces I´m using tons of Jesuit priests in order to turn Lord Imagawas border population into 100% christians before I´ll start an attack on him. And I´m curious if Lord Oda will take his chance and create a big empire with those many rebell provinces separating his few (only three) holdings.

Last edited by Xerrop; March 20, 2010 at 02:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xerrop View Post
    Here is the current status of my SHOGUN:TW campaign. I have selected the Shimazu-Clan starting in the Sengoku Jidai era. My awesome Geisha has killed four faction leaders. The second last was Lord Mori on Shikoku Island. But this was merely for training as I have conquered all his provinces except one. The last Daimyo she killed was Lord Uesugi during the current turn (spring 1562). He controlled all the eastern provinces of Honshu, all the Ronin territories you can see on the mini map.

Only Oda and Imagawa left (and maybe some reappearing Daimyos). As you can see on my neighbour provinces I´m using tons of Jesuit priests in order to turn Lord Imagawas border population into 100% christians before I´ll start an attack on him. And I´m curious if Lord Oda will take his chance and create a big empire with those many rebell provinces separating his few (only three) holdings.

U still play shougun!!??, mtw i can understand people still playing, but shougun!
    Quote Originally Posted by |Sith|Galvanized Iron View Post
    I love slavery

Quote Originally Posted by pharaoh01275 View Post
    U still play shougun!!??, mtw i can understand people still playing, but shougun!
    Why not? After playing RTW with it´s boring vanilla-campaign I need some thrilling challenge again.

I´m no longer excited about playing "Rise of Persia" and "Europa Barbarorum" and have deleted M2:TW (not a worthy successor to the original MTW) from my harddrive.
    So as long as the "Ages of Darkness" mod for Barbarian Invasions isn´t finished I have decided going back to the two classics (Shogun and my all time favourite MTW).

Btw. I´m just curious, what exactly is the big difference between Shogun and MTW for you? Both games are very similar.
    Last edited by Xerrop; March 21, 2010 at 04:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pharaoh01275 View Post
    Balance, AI, and atmosphere. Shogun remains #1 in all these respects.
    "Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." - Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by Xerrop View Post
    Why not? After playing RTW with it´s boring vanilla-campaign I need some thrilling challenge again.

I´m no longer excited about playing "Rise of Persia" and "Europa Barbarorum" and have deleted M2:TW (not a worthy successor to the original MTW) from my harddrive.
    So as long as the "Ages of Darkness" mod for Barbarian Invasions isn´t finished I have decided going back to the two classics (Shogun and my all time favourite MTW).

Btw. I´m just curious, what exactly is the big difference between Shogun and MTW for you? Both games are very similar.

MTW: More units, more religion, XL mod which is epic, More factions, loads of differneces between factions. XL mod is awesome and adds loads of factions pagainism and better AI, trust me you should download it if you have MTW...

So overall mtw is bigger and better than shougun in my opinion
    I love slavery

I have it already installed. Take a look on the posts 1, 6 and 13 in this thread. Since this year also fully patched including the Tyberius 3.0 addon (was hard to find btw cause the links at the .org-forum are dead). Epic and the best TW-game ever
    The only two downsides are that they have deleted the Swiss faction and Naptha Throwers. One of my three favourite units in vanilla MTW.

But Shogun has its qualities also: As Martok wrote it offers more balance, by giving each faction the same units. So you don´t win only because faction X has better units than faction Y in early, middle or late campaign. And all those nice ingame-videos and the throneroom-feature add a lot to the athmosphere.
    Not to mention the Mongol Invasion expansion offering a unique campaign when choosing the Mongols as you rely on reinforcement from Mainland Asia. And introducing own units for them, so finally more variety on the battlefields.

Btw. I have already won this campaign, the first I finished in STW. I have killed Lord Oda with my Geisha and Lord Imagawas heir with one of my Ninjas. Finally Daimyo Imagawa was killed in battle by my newly recruited Battlefield Ninjas.
    There are two(!) well done and interesting victory videos. Didn´t expect a second one after the first ended.
    Last edited by Xerrop; March 23, 2010 at 01:38 AM.

Foederatus

In my MTW campaign, a started as the Italians on medium difficulty.
    After being couped p for so long i northern italy, after being threatened excomunication from the pope, i decided it was time to move my attentions to greece, an the byzantines.
    My first invasion attempt failed, after having the duke of venice captured by some byzantine infantry and vangarian(sp?) guards.
    I waited till my armies were at full strength, and invaded greece with a stick, losing few men. after which the byzantines were no trouble. the turks had been beseiging their capital, but later withdrew, allowing my forces to sweep up the opposition in constantinople. after taking the rebel province NW of greece (Forgot the name) and Bulgaria (i think). I decided it was about time the Italians joined the crusade. I declared a crusade, with the objective of Egypt. After many setbacks involving the turks, with their vast hordes gathered around Rum, which the spanish had taken for their own, and then the egyptians, the crusade finally reached Egypt, took it and set about beseiging the castle. But the egyptian citizens mustered an army from nowhere and decimated my battered crusader troops, the only survivors were a handfull of knights and the duke of venice, once again.
    The year after the failed crusade, civil war broke out in he Italian states, i have sided with the rebels, with a base of operations in constantinople. My biggest faer now, is not being able to hold the turks off, and take back my provinces, im sure hungary and france are eyeing my land, and i havnet the power to stop them taking it.
    Heres my position as of now.

Oh, and by the way... Do i wish i have Shogun or not?
    I remember palying it, but only being able to train some form of samurai spearman, that was before i lost the disk.
    Last edited by tehbuddha; March 29, 2010 at 10:37 AM.

An interesting campaign so far. +rep for posting it.

I can see still some royalist forces in Bulgaria and Constantinople. Hope you can finish them off.
    Oh and btw. not many troops left in your remaining territories. But o.k. after loosing four provinces and many royalist generals it´s no wonder ...

Foederatus

heh, thanks
    anyway, after losing bulgaria and retaking it, i tried to retrain my troops and it CTD's.
    It wont reload either. Probbably because vista is rubbish.
    and yeah, I beat the royalists in constaninope, there were only 9 of 'em.
    There were also royalists in genoea(sp?), the beat me, so myonly italian province was Tuscany.
    Last edited by tehbuddha; March 29, 2010 at 12:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tehbuddha View Post
    anyway, after losing bulgaria and retaking it, i tried to retrain my troops and it CTD's.
    It wont reload either. Probbably because vista is rubbish.
    Sad, it would have been an interesting and challenging task to continue this campaign. Maybe try continuing it another day.

Quote Originally Posted by tehbuddha View Post
    Oh, and by the way... Do i wish i have Shogun or not?
    I remember palying it, but only being able to train some form of samurai spearman, that was before i lost the disk.
    The more important question will be: Is my computer able to run this old game.
    If you face problems with MTW then Shogun can only get worser ...

Anyway if you like MTW better than Rome and the following games you could give it a try if you are not frightened by it´s eastern setting. There are nice and well done in-game videos, the throneroom-feature and four seasons per year with superb weather effects. Thunderstorms are awesome.

Well the troops are quite similar to MTW with Swords, Spears, Bows, Naginatas (somewhat similar to halberds), cavalry archers, light and heavy cavalry. And as in MTW you can recruit gunpowder units (Arquebuses and Muskets) later in the game by trading with the Portuguese or Dutch. The difference to MTW are only 15 units used by all factions. So no faction specific or regional units. But each clan has spezialized on one or two units offering 25 % training costs. It´s just a matter of personal preferences if you like that. There is not necessarily a need for ten Sword-units with different shield colours and slightly different stats.

Another point would be the campaign map play. There are less options, f.e. no governors, no traits for your characters (aside from honour gained through battles), no character loyalty and therefore no civil wars and no ships. But naval invasions are still possible by moving an army from port to port similar to priests or diplomats in MTW. Religion plays a role in the game also. All clans start as buddhists but can turn christian later on when the Portuguese arrive. And building many churches combined with a Cathedral results in a huge money boost. The campaigns itself are quite interesting. When an Daimyo is killed without heirs some of his holdings will turn into rebells, but others will join his former allies. So there is much fluctuation on the map with small empires getting many territories. But as they might lack economical or military power they can disintegrate very fast also when being attacked by neighbours or facing reappearing factions.

And there is the Mongol Invasion expansion - you can play the Hojo controlling most of Japan or the Mongols landing on Kyushu (with their own unique units). The goal is very simple for both - control all provinces. But the Mongols can´t build anything in their conquered territories nor can they train troops. They rely on supply from the mainland only. So loosing too much battles or men and you can´t win the campaign anymore.
    Last edited by Xerrop; March 29, 2010 at 03:41 PM.

Foederatus

Okay then, ill se if i can find it, somewhere

Here is the current situation of my new Aragon-campaign in 1120 (using MTW XL3.0). I have decided to stay passive at the begin and watch out which empires the AI will create. So more an observation campaign. Later in the 13th century (if not being defeated meanwhile) I will expand historical accurate to Valencia and Italy. And I want to launch a succesful crusade to fulfill my glorious achievement goals. I´m curious if it can be managed to stay alive that long with only one province. But I always wanted to find out so this campaign is my first try.

As you can see on the pic the Castillians have conquered Valencia and the Almohads have expanded to Leon and are sieging Lisbon. As the Portuguese were one of my allies I tried to reinforce them, but my fleets were not able to defeat the Almohad ones completely so the planned reinforcement could not land in Portucale. Therefore the Portuguese faction had been destroyed. I might send some agents to lower the loyalty in their former homeland, maybe the´ll emerge again.

Btw it is very hard to train enough troops, agents and ships when owning only one province.

p.s. I noticed attacking ships firing their cannons on the campaign map (see screenshot in spoiler). Weird as gunpowder was only discovered in 1260. So I´m wondering how were sea battles fought before?
    Last edited by Xerrop; April 03, 2010 at 03:21 AM.

Foederatus

Looking good (y)
    I cant stand passive campaigns, im way too impatient.
    as for the naval battles, they probbably wouldnt differ much from the roman stlye. ramming so the other ship would sink.
    or maybe getting close enough to board.
    Im not sure wether its true or not, just an assumption.

Edit - I decided to download the xl mod, it great
    In my current campaign, Ive eliminated England, taken Ireland and now own two provinces in the north of France. My navy is constantly fighting of ships, I think norweigan, in the north sea though. I need to get an army over there pretty quickly.
    My allies, the French, have been excommunicated and Im thinking of siding with the Germans and going after the French lands pretty soon.
    Last edited by tehbuddha; April 03, 2010 at 10:07 AM.

My XL Byzatium campaign is going well so far.

I have been focusing on economic rarther than territorial expansion.
    I'm building a army in greece to invade serbia and one in anoich to invade those damn armenians,
    and i'l soon teach those turks a lesson
    I love slavery

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12