Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My attempt at making Helm's Deep

Brego's Avatar Ordinarius

Default My attempt at making Helm's Deep

Hello!

When seeing the battle made by jản I got inspired to make one of my own with a wall. My map is basically finished, but i still got trouble getting the battle to work.. So if anyone could take a look at it and maybe get it to work that would be awesome

New Version:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Old Version:
    Some screens:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

At the old version a wasn't able to use ladders, so I started a new one.

Last edited by Brego; July 22, 2009 at 05:01 PM.

Zikko's Avatar Tiro

Default Re: My attempt at making Helm's Deep

looks good, I like that this one has the walls

Hehe thanks, but had to start a new one Since this one's wall was from a huge city I can only use siege towers and rams on it, so I'm making a new one now with the walls from a large city instead Then I will be able to use ladders on it

jản's Avatar █ kept in suspense █

wow it looks really good / way better than my version.

QUESTIONS:

> is the the AI attacking the walls you placed there?
    > how did you managed to place two settlements (city and fort)
    > how did you get the trees in that positions
    > are the buildings of the city under the surface?

okay but the error you get i can explain on the screenshots:

on the first screenshot you can see that your deployment marks are not
    placed correct. they crossing each other which causes a game-crash.
    you can drag and drop the markers by activating the deployment tool, move
    the mouse over the marker until it beginns to move. than you can click and
    move it while holding the mouse button down.
    move it until the connection-lines between the marker are not crossing each other anymore.
    Last edited by jản; July 22, 2009 at 03:55 PM.

The first screenshot is old, I've tried the deployment marks on different places, including just outside the wall where it's flat etc..

And about the AI attacking the wall, I don't know, cause I haven't been able to play as anything other than Isengard..

The trees just pop up by them selves after I've saved, even though I remove them every time..

And yes, the buildings are under the surface, which is causing the units not to be able to move at the ground there..

And about the castle and city, I discovered that if you add the castle first, you can add a city afterwards, and if you just place the castle some random place, you can just move the castle to your wanted location after adding the city

Edit: And to place trees, then you can just use the vegetation tool..
    Last edited by Brego; July 22, 2009 at 04:18 PM.

In the new version I made, I am able to play as Rohan too, but only when the settlement is ambient, and then the AI doesn't use ladders at the walls, but they do use catapults etc, but that sucks since my main purpose of the version was that the AI should be using ladders when attacking, though you can use ladders yourself while playing Isengard, but that's no fun

Though if someone know why it doesn't work when the settlement isn't ambient and could solve the problem that would get the AI to attack
    Last edited by Brego; July 22, 2009 at 06:37 PM.

wow i actually like it better than jans, if you ever get it working proper realease it !

Well, it might look better, but even if I get it to work with ladders, it would be mostly attacks with ladders, but probably no hole in the wall, or a hole in the wall but no ladder attack, cause when the AI gets catapults, they usually ruin your wall instead of using the siege equipment, and if I choose to not give them any catapults or ballistas, then it would be only attacks on the wall with ladders, and the "hornburg" ofc.. And if there's no hole in the wall I can't imagine that this battle will be more fun than Jans

Though if I should get it to work I would probably need some help by anyone with experience considering that this is the first time I use the battle editor, and have no experience in editing files etc

well remember when we were talking of the mine and mith said something like a cannon with a range of 1 and a very high attack the only problem was it did not have a model that would not be that hard to make just some minor tweaks and to fix the problem of not using both i am sure you could script it so both would happen like after x amount of time the orc send forth the "mine" to the wall

jản's Avatar █ kept in suspense █

Quote Originally Posted by Brego View Post
    Well, it might look better, but even if I get it to work with ladders, it would be mostly attacks with ladders, but probably no hole in the wall, or a hole in the wall but no ladder attack, cause when the AI gets catapults, they usually ruin your wall instead of using the siege equipment, and if I choose to not give them any catapults or ballistas, then it would be only attacks on the wall with ladders, and the "hornburg" ofc.. And if there's no hole in the wall I can't imagine that this battle will be more fun than Jans
    yeah but you can script things like that. you can command every single unit
    with a battle script (you never wondered about the french attacking always the
    same way in the vanilla Agincourt battle an other vanilla historical battles?)
    but i can't do that because i dont know how yet. but i will try to understand
    that when i have time for that.
    than it should be no problem to let units destroy the walls and let others use
    ladders and siege towers at the same time.
    Last edited by jản; July 23, 2009 at 03:56 AM.

That would be awesome

Danny_K_1's Avatar Praefectus

I'm loving the prgress people are making in creating our favourite settlements.

Sorry to dissapoint , but i think there's no command to attack the walls with what siege engine soever . I checked the docudemons , and i could't find any commands that woul be usefull . however , you could make a new arty model (very small , invisible , uber-strong) , and hope it attacks the walls

Maybe i can do a Helm's Deep script that pikemen wait till the cav reinforcements come , and they go towards them ?

Hmm, there is still a lot that needs to be done with the AI:
    - Isengard won't attack the wall with ladders, but uses catapults and ballistas to attack the unit on the wall/behind the wall and then hit the wall..
    - When Rohan is deployed inside the castle, they rush out to attack Isengard
    - Silvan elves don't go upon the wall, they are just standing behind and starts shooting when Isengard gets near
    - Reinforcements don't move down the hill to attack Isengard, they just stand at the top waiting.

So KingTheoden1, you can do whatever you want to the battle as long as I get credit for the map

The units I have put into the battle was just something I added fast, so nothing like what should be there, and also the deployment zones is something I added quick. And don't mind the trees, don't know how to remove them permanently, they just pop up again each time after I've saved, and also the buildings upon on the mountain just get there after I've saved too, don't know what's causing it either.

Well , i could try to make a Helm's Deep script I'll add one for jan's version , as it is completed . If your version is done , i could also do it

Would be nice if you could just take a look at it, and then see what you can do

About the map, I think it's about finished, though if people don't like the buildings behind the deeping wall I could higher the ground there, but still keep the streets as they are, but then the ground would be about as high as the wall and you can't move units there either, so for now I think I'll keep the buildings there..

Zikko's Avatar Tiro

btw, is thiss gonna work with only historical battles or with custom battles too?

Both

But when playing the map as a custom battle it is hardly playable because of the deployment zones, is there some way to change the deployment areas at a custom map? Though the map as a custom map ends right outside the wall..

I think Cb's have their own deployment zone .. not sure though

Btw , th fact that that the cata's shoot the walls will make a hole , right ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast