Thread: Pikes

Default Pikes

Hi, I have searched the forums, but haven't found any thread that discussed how to efficiently use pikes. It would be great if people could post tips on how to efficiently use pikes here. I would appreciate it if you could post links here to pike guides.

Navajo Joe's Avatar SS Forum Moderator

Default Re: Pikes

NewUser,
    Welcome to SS forum, its a shame that nobody has answered your question to date. There is no specific guide on how to use them, but the attached thread, gives some ideas on how much of a pain they are and how to counter them, which will give an idea, how to use them.
    I adopt same strategy as in RTW with Hellenic factions, from the front they are lethal, but you will need to protect the flanks and rear, with other infantry. On the battlefield you need to take particular care, as they can be quickly out maneouvered, so you need to protect them.
    In a city, you could not have a better units, put them in a gateway or a narrow street, and you have got yourself a roadblock, infact a medieval tank trap.

Here is a thread
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ighlight=Pikes
    Last edited by Navajo Joe; July 22, 2009 at 08:15 AM. Reason: Whoops

'Proud to be patronised by cedric37(My Father and My Guardian)

They are best used in defensive battles. Where the enemy will just charge into your wall of pikes.

SamZi's Avatar Civis

I usually use the pike wall and defense mode so they'll stay put. That'll also stop cavalry charges most efficiently. If you only use the pike wall mode they'll push forward for some reason and take more casualties. The pike wall formation off is good if the unit gets surrounded.

PS. I'm using RR/RC.
    Last edited by SamZi; July 22, 2009 at 10:40 AM.

Best used as defense, or with the better-quality units also as offensive, straight at the enemy, as long as some flank security is present.

Best counters are missile fire, attacking flanks and rear, and if attacking head-on, heavily-armored polearm users (especially Halberdiers in RR/RC, who have a unique animation set designed to break into pike formations) and other 2H weapon users.

Next RR/RC reduces pike defense values by 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Navajo Joe View Post
    NewUser,
    Welcome to SS forum, its a shame that nobody has answered your question to date. There is no specific guide on how to use them, but the attached thread, gives some ideas on how much of a pain they are and how to counter them, which will give an idea, how to use them.
    I adopt same strategy as in RTW with Hellenic factions, from the front they are lethal, but you will need to protect the flanks and rear, with other infantry. On the battlefield you need to take particular care, as they can be quickly out maneouvered, so you need to protect them.
    In a city, you could not have a better units, put them in a gateway or a narrow street, and you have got yourself a roadblock, infact a medieval tank trap.

Here is a thread
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ighlight=Pikes
    Thanks =D, I have a question....
    Should pikes be put into guard mode? Also, what does Spear wall, Shield wall and Schilchron do? Like what are they best used for.

Navajo Joe's Avatar SS Forum Moderator

NewUser,
    Pikes- Guard Mode and static, don't try to move them, they loose formation.
    Shield Wall- Defensive, interlocked shields, units use axe or sword don't allow units to chase routers, again lose formation. This great for gateways, narrow streets, bridges, basically where enemy cannot flank or get behind
    Schilstrom- Anti Cavarly, on the battlefield, where to protect 360 degrees, not effective against infantry, very vulnerable to missiles.
    Spearwall- As shield wall, but with spears naturally

'Proud to be patronised by cedric37(My Father and My Guardian)

So, spear wall > shield wall?

I think that it is more a matter of the quality of the defending unit than it's weapon (unless it is spear wall vs. cavalry or axe [armour piercing weapon] armed shield wall vs. heavy infantry). So an average level swordsman will surely form a shield wall that's more effective than a militia-level spearwall.

Ah k, will anybody test this theory? Edit some files to make 2 equal pike/spear units with one using spearwall and the other using shield wall...

Caesar Clivus's Avatar SS Forum Moderator

Spear wall is supposed to be used with pikes. Shield wall is supposed to be used with infantry. If you give a pike unit shield wall, you will lose all effectiveness of the unit as pikes really need to be in the spear wall formation to be useful.

BftB2 UPDATED 22nd DECEMBER. Member of the Complete Byzantine Unit Roster team

Sorry double post. Next one down.
    Last edited by LyonsNoir; July 24, 2009 at 03:25 AM.

Pikes are best used when cavalry begins getting heavy, i.e - plate armor or gothic unit types. However, they're also used well to pin down enemy heavy infantry, and shine against shock infantry types like Huscarls and Highland Nobles. I usually keep three or four units of them in my center in a manipular formation, as the Roman Triarii and Qin Chinese did. Here's a pic.
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...n_2_es.svg.png

See the checkerboard pattern? This allows them to fill in the gaps made by a charge, which are exacerbated by the way the game engine positions armies when they collide. They can then surround and rout the enemy while protecting their own flanks. Hope that helps.

Also, about spear wall/Schiltrom, it's only useful with Superior class units as it cuts the units attack power in lieu of defense drastically.