Thread: Any Worthwhile Mods For Med Standalone?

Default Any Worthwhile Mods For Med Standalone?

I've recently found my old copy of Medieval Total War, initially dusty full of scratches and unplayable. I managed to somehow restore it too full capability, with that said I had a copy of Viking Invasion however I have yet to find it. Thus I'm reduced to playing Medieval Total War by itself (Which isn't bad; it's still a beauty by herself) which means I cannot run the majority of mods out there...including the one mod which I lost hours of life too (To my pleasure of course), Napoleonic Total War. So, which mods are worth there salt on Medieval Total War?

Thank you for the assistance in the matter.

Default Re: Any Worthwhile Mods For Med Standalone?

Welcome to the forums, Ivan!

The only mod I know for sure that's compatible with vanilla MTW -- and is of a high calibre -- is the 1.85 version of Wes' MedMod. You'll find it about 3/4 of the way down the page that I linked to.

Also -- although I'm not sure about this -- I believe Axalon's Redux mod may have a vanilla MTW-compatible version as well. (At least, I know he did at one point.) I can't really comment on it, as I've not played it much myself, but I know that others enjoy it.
    Last edited by Martok; July 21, 2009 at 10:43 PM.
    "Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." - Pascal

Thanks for the help & welcoming Martok.

I have since patched Med TW to 1.1, thus I cannot run the MedMod at this point. I'll continue to search the forums I suppose.

The MedMod is for MTW 1.1. Scroll down the page and download v1.85. Do not download v2.04 or v4 - these are for VI.

What Caravel said.

Sorry Ivan, when I refer to vanilla MTW, I always mean MTW 1.1. So yes, that version of MedMod will be perfectly compatible.

Ah, I see then. Hehe

My mistake I suppose.

Axalon's Avatar She-Hulk wills it!

Hello Ivan and welcome to the forums,

Maybe I am reading you all wrong here, but personally it strikes me as rather dull attitude you seemingly got going there for people that sacrifices enormous amount of time and energy in order to complete and release a major mod for MTW – which you and everybody else can enjoy free of charge. My friendly advice would be that you (and all others with similar attitude) treat modders and their work with a little more respect and appreciation. Let’s not forget that modders usually don’t do their work to amuse “you” – that’s just a cherished and free bonus for all you players and little else. Modders should be treated accordingly - I believe they have more than earned it. Any major released mod for MTW are “worth their salt” (just as other non MTW-mods) – the sheer amount of work involved to realize and complete such a thing pretty much guarantees it. Nobody in their right mind would ever bother to commit that much time and energy if they did not believe it to be worth while (they would quit long before that point).

I would be fairly surprised if any creator(s) of these major mods would not consider their projects better than the original game somehow at the end of the day. As far as my experience goes, most people usually appear to agree with the modders/creators once they get the chance to try the stuff out for themselves – no exceptions to any major mod done for MTW, as far as I can tell. People might prefer different stuff but at the end of the day (like apples and oranges), but that is not the same thing as deeming other alterations of MTW as not worthwhile. These works/mods are different from each other and appeal to different people for different and various reasons – whatever these may be (transparent or not). Some people might like to declare their personal preference in these regards for various reasons but in the end of the day it is pretty pointless since nobody can ever “chew your meatballs for you”, let alone tell which meatballs you will truly like – only you can do that. That will never change regardless how we try to approach things.

Now, as for your question then; “Is there any mods/alterations I can play with MTW V.1.1?”. Yes, there are two that has compatibility with that edition of MTW (to my knowledge, the rest is done for VI/V.2.01-only). These are “Medmod 1.85” and “MTW-redux 1.0b” (Martok was thus on the right track). The former is the older of the two and was released about 2004-ish, the latter and younger alteration was released in 2008.

My knowledge of Medmod 1.85 is somewhat limited, but it is essentially the basic game made harder as far as I can tell (the VI-version of it, actually offers a very different game than the 1.85 version). Usually Medmod is much appreciated by many people and maybe you might end up as one of those? Who knows? I guess you’ll have to try it out in order to find out. This mod and any formal threads and information about it are so far only available outside the TWC (follow the posted links). As I said before, only you can determine if it is for you or not. Besides, it is not that hard find out for yourself either (download and install and you are in business).

I know MTW-redux 1.0b a tad better since I have actually designed it. It is seemingly unique on the planet in the sense that it, as a major released mod for MTW, it offers almost the exact same game as you would get if you decided to run it on VI/V.2.01 – it is virtually the same game. In fact redux is designed with the overriding agenda of total compatibility and conformity in mind, and any holder of any copy of MTW can play it if they like and still get virtually the same game (regardless if it is MTW VI/V.2.01 or V.1.1). No other major mod for MTW can provide that thing, to this date. Most modders simply disregard to work in MTW V.1.1 since it is more restrictive, cumbersome and unfriendly to work with in general. If redux ticks your interest, there is a thread for it right here (check the stickies of this section) at the TWC and you can check that out as much as you want. Same thing goes here, only you can truly find out if it is for you or not (download and install and you are in business).

Both mods are worth their salt alright and usually are much appreciated as alterations of MTW by players from all over the globe (I know that redux has been played in Europe, N.America, S.America, Asia and Australia. I have a hard time believing that the same would not be true for Medmod as well). The monster-sized work and effort involved in creating any mod of that magnitude and then manage to release it, pretty much guarantees it is worthwhile to check it out, otherwise it would probably not have been officially released in the first place – you can at least be pretty certain of that.

- Cheers

I suppose I may have struck you wrong with the wording I used in my original statement, it wasn't my intent. But your correct in saying that I can only truly determine what is right for me; I never planed on following the recommendations of others completely. I would have researched each of the suggestions vigorously before I made my selection. I suppose my wording in my initial statement was somewhat pessimistic, but it was only intended to give me some idea what others favor and a compass if you will too guide my search. Thank you for your post concerning both of the mods, I'll be looking at them both and will give them both some play-time at some point.

Have a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan The Terrible View Post
    I suppose I may have struck you wrong with the wording I used in my original statement...
    I personally didn't see anything at all wrong with the wording of your post - so it looks like a simple misunderstanding to me.

I would strongly recommend that you get the VI Expansion. This will open the doors for you to a whole world of different mods

I would also highly recommend the XL/Tyberius mod.
    Last edited by caravel; August 04, 2010 at 06:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Caravel View Post
    I personally didn't see anything at all wrong with the wording of your post - so it looks like a simple misunderstanding to me.

I would strongly recommend that you get the VI Expansion. This will open the doors for you to a whole world of different mods.
    Yes, I used to own VI as well; it was pretty sweet, especially when modding. I made my own minor mods using VI, nothing major just minor stuff. I might but the expansion once more (Since it's a bargain) and open up some more opportunities for mods. Thanks for the suggestion
    Last edited by Axalon; July 25, 2009 at 09:34 AM. Reason: Clean up...

Axalon's Avatar She-Hulk wills it!

Hi again Ivan,

No problem, nothing to it man…. I just personally felt that your title were rather dull in its apparent attitude; “Any Worthwhile Mods For Med Standalone?”. The dictionaries are rather unison on what “worthwhile” means, so the margins for misunderstandings about the general attitude it conveys seems pretty small (as far as I can tell) in the way your title was phrased (unintentionally or not). “Worth their salt” don’t come across as much better either. It simply strikes me as rather unappreciative and unfortunate choice of words in general, that’s all. I just think that we should cherish and appreciate the major works of modders a little better than that. After all, we can and are permitted too enjoy the major works of others free of charge and for that we probably should be a bit more respectful in general. Since all we have to do is merely to download and install it – which is hardly much effort in terms of what we might get in return – lots of entertainment. Maybe I just feel extra strong for this since I have first hand experience what these modders have been thru before the finished result, it’s rather hellish I tell you.

Anyhow, as far as major MTW-mods go, I don’t think there any others with compatibility to MTW V.1.1 then the two already mentioned so this discussion is probably “going on fumes” (as in exhausted) pretty soon. What do you want me to do here? Leave the thread as is or do you prefer to have it closed? I am merely wondering, nothing else.

- Cheers

I'm fine with whichever course of action is taken. The question I asked was answered and there isn't anymore discussion that can be taken on topic at this point. So I'll leave it to you to decide if you lock the topic or not.

Just an update, I have found my old copy of Viking Invasion and installed it. Thus, I'll hold off on mods for a bit; as I love that game vanilla.

Awesome, man. Glad to hear you found it!