Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rebel Campaign Strategy Guide

Default Re: Rebel Campaign Strategy Guide

Quote Originally Posted by MortenJessen View Post
    It is a guide, so why do you care............. And why cant you write comprehencive...............
    oh the irony

C'mon, stop the trolls ... it is a guide. No matter how old, someone can post on it.

Genius of the Restoration's Avatar You beaut and magical

The one that's missing is the map that shows the whole campaign map with each province that is held by each faction. The map tends to disappear and I've found it again a few times before. The last time I edited the first post (March 2010) was to put the damn map back in but it looks like it's disappeared again. I'll have a quick look around and see if I can find it again.

edit: found and updated. It's a pretty big image, but better than nothing.
    Last edited by Genius of the Restoration; September 22, 2011 at 03:06 PM.

MortenJessen's Avatar Campidoctor

LOL, rep for taking your time. I did not really count on that
    Good guide. Tried it my self after having failed a few rebel campaigns on my own before. Works wonders to ones strategy.

xP. I hate it when images go missing. I'm using image shack at the moment. It's fine. Idk if I'll lose picture over time.

Chris Death's Avatar Campidoctor

There's some kind'a let's play on youtube with the rebels aswell.

Just search for user: BenevolentHistory

A combination of this guide and BenevolentHistory's campaign comentary should give a very
    good overview of how to play the rebels 'n slaves.

~S~ CD
    Ever wanted to be able to attack the city of rome the second turn when playing a roman faction yourself in RTW? then click here

|Sith|IV|Chris_Death

My youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/Chrisdeath69?gvnc=1

~S~ CD

Willowran's Avatar Domesticus

i played a rebel campaign awhile ago... it infuriated me 'cause just as i grew close to beating the game it crashed. i reloaded... and it crashed.
    something you didn't mention (that i saw) (though this might've just been my game): if you lose a battle with the rebels, you lose the entire army. if you retreat... you lose the entire army.

and the recruitment culture per settlement can change on you... i was recruiting greek hoplites all around greece, but the greek faction died early. the only macedonian unit rebels get worth recruiting are the milita hoplites. originally i was recruiting hoplites in 5 or six settlements, but then, one by one, they became 'macedonian rebel' settlements, and i lost the ability to recruit the hoplites...

and i've never been able to recruit amazon chariots or judean zealots (recruit, not spawn). the game will assign a cultrue to each of your settlements... but no culture recruits either.

definitely the most difficult rtw faction
    and nice guide:+rep
    Last edited by Willowran; September 23, 2011 at 08:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Willowran View Post
    something you didn't mention (that i saw) (though this might've just been my game): if you lose a battle with the rebels, you lose the entire army. if you retreat... you lose the entire army.
    I didn't notice that. I don't think I was ever defending a settlement though, because they couldn't rebel, so all my armies were in enemy territory. Did it happen if you were in rebel-controlled territory too?

and the recruitment culture per settlement can change on you... i was recruiting greek hoplites all around greece, but the greek faction died early. the only macedonian unit rebels get worth recruiting are the milita hoplites. originally i was recruiting hoplites in 5 or six settlements, but then, one by one, they became 'macedonian rebel' settlements, and i lost the ability to recruit the hoplites...
    Didn't know that either. Rebel campaigns really haven't been written about enough.

and i've never been able to recruit amazon chariots or judean zealots (recruit, not spawn). the game will assign a cultrue to each of your settlements... but no culture recruits either.
    Neither. I was a little excited for pumping out Amazons, but nothing going unfortunately.

definitely the most difficult rtw faction
    and nice guide:+rep
    I'd say they're the most difficult too, and thank you!

Willowran's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Genius of the Restoration View Post
    I didn't notice that. I don't think I was ever defending a settlement though, because they couldn't rebel, so all my armies were in enemy territory. Did it happen if you were in rebel-controlled territory too?
    ... not sure, its been a while since that campaign... i know for a fact that it happens in enemy territory, nomatter the sze or location... and i'm pretty sure that it happens in your land... nearly every battle i fought in that campaign was a defensive or offensive seige. more of the first then the latter... but i know a couple times early game trying to capture sparta i lost some pretty impresssive militia armies by trying to autoresolve when they sallyed out. i controlled athens and that other macedonian city, but rather then retreat into the city they all bought the farm.

as to the amazon chariots... i held that ciy up there for a while, then allowed the germans to sack it. (not really allowed... they bled me dry ). but it was so far out of the way, with such low public order that it rebelled each time they captured it! each time i took out any rebel chariots, hid them in the forest then abandoned the city. waited for them to capture it again... i got quite a few chariots before the game crashed.

... now i'm not sure about this last, (i didn't get much time to test it before the end) but i think city culture is largely affected by the units that captured it. eg: if you capture a city with egyptain chariots you're more likely to get to recruit egyptian units there (though location is a larger modifyer)
    Last edited by Willowran; September 23, 2011 at 02:56 PM.

while playing Rebels you could edit the desc-unit file and enable them to be able to build more units(rebel armour hopilites look amazing). Thats what I like about rebel faction is the variety I get. but the unit cards will show up as pesants on the battle map. but can someone tell me where I can start building roman units? I'm playing as Rebel and I captured "Rome" but when I upgraded it the building tech switched to barbarian factions, I want a rebel army of hestati.

What determines what unit Rebels can make? Sometimes I can make Hastati in some weird city, and sometime all I can make is warband.
    Cry "Havoc!", and let slip the dogs of war.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/ADRGamin...k?feature=mhee

Remember to rep me if I helped you in any way(:

(\__/)
    ( O.o)
    (> < ) This is Bunny. Please help Bunny reach global domination by copying this message and pasting it to your own signature. Thank you!

It's to do with the culture of the settlement IIRC. The cultures don't really make sense most of the time, so I'm not sure about it really.

@ivan745
    I've uploaded the final turn of this campaign here. If you download it and put it in your saved games folder you should be able to see which provinces allow Hastati to be recruited from the ones I'd taken by the time I saved that. Other than that, it's very much a trial and error sort of test. I think there's a console command you can use to assign settlements that I think would work for the rebels so you can check them all, but I don't really know how use console commands so maybe someone else could help there. Sorry I can't be of much help about what you can recruit where

When I select the Rebels, I get a instant crash to desktop. Any advice?

This is a terrific guide and you're to be congratulated for its thoroughness. Well done. There is a great deal of information here that I wouldn't have thought of. I think the desperate financial situation you describe would put me off pretty quickly if I hadn't read your ways around it. One day i'll definitely give it a shot.

A tad off topic but has anyone ever played rebels removed FOW and just seen what happened? I'm sure it'd be fun!

The_Praetor's Avatar Foederatus

Excellent guide, gives a solid foundation for starting out as rebels and provides very well thought out explanations and tips. I would assume it gets easier because you do not have to keep units garrisoned in far away cities.

That's right, but you also spawn less rebel units because they only spawn in faction-held territories. You get some settlements that can recruit units though, so it balances out a bit and in the end you'll produce more units than you ever spawned anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by candi81 View Post
    When I select the Rebels, I get a instant crash to desktop. Any advice?
    Not really. I'm not sure if it has anything to do with CTDs but try reducing the number of playable factions. I know that the game has a hardcoded limit on the number that display, but I hadn't enabled SPQR so the rebels could appear in that slot. Sorry, I'm not much help with the technical side.
    Quote Originally Posted by jackbush View Post
    This is a terrific guide and you're to be congratulated for its thoroughness. Well done. There is a great deal of information here that I wouldn't have thought of. I think the desperate financial situation you describe would put me off pretty quickly if I hadn't read your ways around it. One day i'll definitely give it a shot.
    Thank you for your comment and I hope you do get around to playing one of these campaigns, they're great, unconventional fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Britannia's Finest View Post
    A tad off topic but has anyone ever played rebels removed FOW and just seen what happened? I'm sure it'd be fun!
    Hmm, it'd be a better spectator game than any of the other factions I suppose. Interesting idea.

The only thing I like about Rebels is the Amazon Chariots and when Roman Cities with a arena rebel, you get an army commander named "Spartacus".
    Cry "Havoc!", and let slip the dogs of war.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/ADRGamin...k?feature=mhee

Remember to rep me if I helped you in any way(:

(\__/)
    ( O.o)
    (> < ) This is Bunny. Please help Bunny reach global domination by copying this message and pasting it to your own signature. Thank you!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12