Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Discworld: Total war

Knize.Vladivoj's Avatar Tiro

Default Discworld: Total war

How about making a Discworld-based mod? We know an exact map of it, we know some units, almost all the rulers...it could be a great fun...
    "The ten most dangerous words in English language are: Hi, I´m from government and I´m here to help." - Ronald Reagan
    My political profile
    My religious profile
    My games

Swagger's Avatar Imperial Coffee-Runner

Default Re: Discworld: Total war

?
    Under the Patronage of the Dreadful cedric37!
    Ancs Guide, Emergent Factions , Yes/No Events |L'Outremer for Modders| Swagger's Skymod

sirfiggin's Avatar Senator

hey that was MY idea (congrats for suggesting it first though)
    The Duke of Dunwich and surrounding fiefdom

For any who are interested by my FF on occurrences in Rhun and beyond; I have begun a new project (not because the old one is finished, just opening more room for ideas) about one of the minor characters, Rankal. It is in the Third Age AAR index and here is the link http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=376994

Horsa's Avatar Artifex

Whats discworld?

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Coat View Post
    Whats discworld?
    by terry pratchett.

Hr. Alf han hugg til han var mod, Han sto i femten Ridderes Blod; Så tog han alle de Kogger ni Og sejlede dermed til Norge fri. Og der kom tidende til Rostock ind, Der blegned saa mangen Rosenkind. Der græd Enker og der græd Børn, Dem hadde gjort fattig den skadelige Ørn.
    Anders Sørensen Vedel

EarendilElenthol's Avatar Artifex

Im astonished it hasnt been suggested earlier. Good idea, and all the people that go ¿huh? now: SHAME YOU AND START READING!

Orko's Avatar Praeses

could be good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Aurelius
    Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.

Horsa's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by absinthia View Post
    oh yes, I remember watching that.

I thought it was called the Hogfather though?

Copperknickers II's Avatar quaeri, si sapis
    Citizen

Its a series of books, one of which is the Hogfather.
    A new mobile phone tower went up in a town in the USA, and the local newspaper asked a number of people what they thought of it. Some said they noticed their cellphone reception was better. Some said they noticed the tower was affecting their health.

A local administrator was asked to comment. He nodded sagely, and said simply: "Wow. And think about how much more pronounced these effects will be once the tower is actually operational."

EarendilElenthol's Avatar Artifex

"I LIKE DEATH" said Death, "BUT THAT WONT MATTER AS I CANT BE A FACTION". Whereas Susan told her grandfather that he shouldn't side with Ankh Morpork as there were reigning the world already. Yeah, I like it! Vetinari for president ^^

anaka morphok city watch sam vimes rules and corpal nobby nobs lol,oh and sergant detruius teh troll..... it would be great to see them kicking some clatch backside!! so is this mod an actuial mod or an idea then??

Sevasti's Avatar Biarchus
    They tell me it's a regular building but it sways like a house of cards when the wind blows

You know, I've been waiting for this since I first discovered this site. Problem is, how do you translate the absurdness of the Discworld into a Total War game without having to revamp large parts of the game itself? Merely retexturing the units wouldn't suffice. The lore and atmosphere are essential to the Discworld.

Et sekund er som et minutt her inne
    Minutt som en time. Time som et døgn
    Og du trur du ser ting å så klart
    Eg seier ikkje ett ord til før eg får en advokat

Civis

This could definately be awesome but probably hard to do

Good luck with this

Quote Originally Posted by Sevasti View Post
    You know, I've been waiting for this since I first discovered this site. Problem is, how do you translate the absurdness of the Discworld into a Total War game without having to revamp large parts of the game itself? Merely retexturing the units wouldn't suffice. The lore and atmosphere are essential to the Discworld.
    I had an idea of for example making Ankh-Morpork a large city with immense powerful "City Watch"
    units, which are unable to leave the city itself (for the reason not to make A-M undefeatable, but to make the city hard to capture), Vetinari as ruler with extreme authority, but almost no command...on the other side, Klatch could have battle-hardened, but undisciplined units, rulers with low authority but high command,...I would love to see LancreAnyway, we have quite good map, clearly defined traits of many personnel and I think that Terry will be comfortable with that mod.
    "The ten most dangerous words in English language are: Hi, I´m from government and I´m here to help." - Ronald Reagan
    My political profile
    My religious profile
    My games

sirfiggin's Avatar Senator

maybe the city watch could have a maximum recruitment value of one, for ankh-morpork only? probably a unit of crossbowmen with decent melee, but not frontline soldiers.
    The Duke of Dunwich and surrounding fiefdom

For any who are interested by my FF on occurrences in Rhun and beyond; I have begun a new project (not because the old one is finished, just opening more room for ideas) about one of the minor characters, Rankal. It is in the Third Age AAR index and here is the link http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=376994

Yeah, but should have massive number of men in order to maintain order in a city on its own. But now, how to make Vetinari unmoveable? You know, it is a part of his lore not to travel much. I mean, except of his youth I think he spent all of his life in A-M.
    How about the list of factions?

1. Ankh-Morpork - city-state, no significant military, big developed city, skilled diplomats, ruler with high authority and unclear succession line, perhaps an elective form. Capable spies and assasins perhaps?
    2. Klatch - vast teritorry, battle hardened military willing for battle (see Jingo), but higher rebel spawn rate in borderlands, perhaps a capable spy network?, low authority rulers
    3. Agatean Empire - isolated empire, powerful military with lots of gunpowder artillery, no elaborate spies but good asassins? I am not sure about the form of government, but most likely monarchy (son of Genghis Cohen? nice idea)
    4. Omnia - superb priests, theocracy, something like Papal States, moderate military, high rebel and heretic spawn rate (theological fighting)
    5. Efebe (Greek style units, technologically advanced, at war or at bad terms with Tsort, elective)
    6. Tsort (no idea, perhaps desert units, bad relations with Efebe)
    7. Lancre (small kingdom with neighbouring rebel lands and some dwarven and troll teritorries, no significant army, content people)
    8. Uberwald (however, perhaps divided between vampires, werewolves and humans)
    9. Dwarves - scaterred teritorry
    10. Trolls - same as dwarves

Hint the others, please. (Genua?Quirm?Pseudopolis?Krull?)

Religions: (is the 5 religions-limit hardcoded?)

1. Omnianism (Omnia, influence on Plains and anywhere in world) - representing worldwide spread of Omnianism, their priests capable of being elected Cenobiarch
    2. Witchcraft (mostly Ramtops) - representing the trust into witches
    3. Polytheism (Efebe, Tsort, A-M, almost anywhere) - to represent various polytheist cults
    4. Small Gods (something like Heretics in MIITW) - all the other gods, too small to have their own church
    5. Offlians (like Islam in vanilla)

Perhaps replacement with culture concept from Britannia campaign form Kingdoms.
    How about your ideas?
    My political profile
    My religious profile
    My games

cenkiss's Avatar Domesticus

For one second i read it discoworld and clicked and please someone make discoworld:total war

I LIKE THE IDEA.

Looking at the map there seems only one problem. How could the border of the discworld be shown?

In fact, I have no idea. Perhaps making it Impassable as in vanilla the mountains are, but to make a space texture for it?
    My political profile
    My religious profile
    My games

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast