Thread: All Techs researched before the end of your first turn

Icon10 All Techs researched before the end of your first turn

This can also be done at ANYTIME during the game. There is is a quicker method below., Ive also posted the link for the .esf editor below.

Hello modders (or currently struggling attempters at properly editing encrypted file afficionados),

I've recently stumbled across a way to have all technologies and only your technologies or whomever else you choose to have them researched at your heart's content. Frankly I'm not sure if this mod has made it's way in to these forums and I apologize should credit be taken where credit is due.

Frankly this mod would be for those who are pretty much sick of waiting 2-16 turns researching a Tech so that they may make a move, even with a 1 turn mod for Techs that still amounts to about 39 turns, should you only keep 1 college open, and is also useful if you hate other factions stealing your techs because your still forced to keep colleges open if you want to get anything done, or if you want to even the odds with those damned Native Americans with their pesky bows and zerg tactics.(believe me, when you see your riflemen attacking native warriors and bowmen during the year 1705 you'll be glad, i know i was...)

Sorry my post looks fairly bulky but i wanted to go into greater detail in case some people weren't getting it, i hate it when it happens to me so I made it more detailed, once you do it once it becomes almost a crime to do this it as it gets incredibly easy.

Sorry for lack of pics, but i just didn't feel like going through the hassle of it. ._.
    ====================================================================================================
    1) Ok so first of all before you do anything you want to make sure you know the name of the file your editing, this is not actually a huge problem but can be if you've had to open and close ETW SEVERAL times to make sure the file was the one you wanted to edit... not that I did... anyways.. you want to open the .esf editor by koras321 based on an editor created by just, or download it if you dont have it, i used that program and im not sure if it will work or how it will work with other programs

2) go to file>open Savegame>"your save game name here* hint: make sure you make the savegame name obvious, or you'll end up like me during step one..

3)Press the "+" button for your save game file, make sure no other files are open, these kinda files can get messy very fast if you don't organize at least a little bit.

4) Press the "+" button, next to "CAMPAIGN_ENV"

5) Press the "+" button, next to "CAMPAIGN_MODEL"

6) Press the "+" button, next to "WORLD"

7)Press the "+" button, next to "FACTION_ARRAY" *NOTE* Don't be discouraged if your FACTION_ARRAY tile is greyed out, it is still collapsable (e.g. you can still press the + button for the correct effect.

8) This part is tricky, you WILL see many "FACTION_ARRAY" tiles, DO NOT be discouraged but be neat, if you open something close it back or you'll be lost in severe cases.

Now, you will have to collapse *press the +* on each to find your respective faction, so when you press the +, another tile named "FACTION" will present itself, simply look to your right of the monitor and look at the 2nd and 3rd rows down, so in the case of Great Britain it will say britain and under it will say Great Britain.Frankly, Your faction will MOST ALWAYS be the very first one. makes it easy that way...

9) Almost but not really done yet, Now once you've opened the correct FACTION tile, you will see many other tiles open up, a good way to check this is seeing 10 or so NAME_ALLOCATION_DETAIL tiles, these mean nothing its just a checkpoint.

Look down under said NAME_ALLOCATION_DETAILS about 4 tiles down to a tile titles as "FACTION_TECHNOLOGY_MANAGER" Press the "+" button for that tile. and click on "techs" Press the "+" button for it. (fancy how that works huh?)

10) Now comes the tedious part... you'll realize once you hit the techs tile, ALOT of smaller "techs" branches will present themselves, this is the gold mine you'll be looking for.

Simply put, click each one of the "techs" branches, THERE SHOULD NOT BE A + NEXT TO THESE BRANCHES A GOOD WAY TO KNOW WHERE YOU ARE IS THE SHEER NUMBER OF TECH BRANCHES VISIBLE.

Once you've selected a tech look to your right, there should a number in the 3rd row down, 2nd row right.
    Simply click on that cell *block that contains the number, should automatically turn blue* and simply press "0", and BAM!!!! that tech is researched as far as the SAVEGAME file is concerned.

Don't worry about losing your place, if you edited ANY file the tile will turn bold and a slightly larger font.

so it'll look like this: non-edited--> techs---> once edited: techs

I haven't edited the files with anything other than 0 so any problems arising from not using 0 i haven't looked into.

Might look complicated, but once you learn it you can do this to any savegame withing a few minutes.

Happy cheating modders...

*Hint* You really might want to consider removing any schools as rivals can hitch on for a free tech or 2, don't know if that happens, they usually met with a quick demise... and these techs can be used as leverage in forcing diplomacy.

Should you want to change the the length of time only for a factions tech, which defeats the purpose of this article... it seems to be related to a number multiplied by another, i haven't looked into it but techs farther down the branch seemed to increase in the number you'll be looking to mod, if you figure it out feel free to include in a post and i'll add it up here. Impoverishing a nations tech tree by making the 1st tier techs 256 turns long would be a great way to keep your dominance up.

Sorry for any mis spells its kinda late..
    I made a quicker-method for people who don't feel like reading, the steps on the above should point you to the right spot in case you miss something, that post is located below.

.ESF Editor you will need: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=242353
    Last edited by Manfreakez; July 18, 2009 at 10:58 PM. Reason: fixed unneeded clutter... some at least.

Default Re: ALL TECHS RESEARCHED BEFORE YEAR 1701 BEGINS

Quick-Method:

1) open the .esf editor listed in step 1 on above detailed post. make sure you remember your savegame name

2) go to file>open Savegame>"your save game name here press the + button

3) Press the "+" button, next to "CAMPAIGN_ENV"

4) Press the "+" button, next to "CAMPAIGN_MODEL"

5) Press the "+" button, next to "WORLD"

6)Press the "+" button, next to "FACTION_ARRAY"

7) click on the + belonging to the first faction array list, this SHOULD be your factions tile.

8) , Now once you've opened the correct FACTION tile, press the + you should be seeing 10 or so NAME_ALLOCATION_DETAIL tiles, these mean nothing its just a checkpoint.Look down to "FACTION_TECHNOLOGY_MANAGER" Press the "+" button for that tile. and click on "techs" Press the "+" button for it. (fancy how that works huh?)

9) Now comes the tedious part... you'll realize once you hit the techs tile, ALOT of smaller "techs" branches will present themselves, Simply put, click each one of the "techs" branches, THERE SHOULD NOT BE A "+" NEXT TO THESE BRANCHES A GOOD WAY TO KNOW WHERE YOU ARE IS THE SHEER NUMBER OF TECH BRANCHES VISIBLE, so you'll only see "about 60 normal "techs" branches

Once you've selected a tech look to your right, there should a number in the 3rd row down, 2nd row right.
    Simply click on that cell *block that contains the number, should automatically turn blue* and simply press "0", and BAM!!!! that tech is researched as far as the SAVEGAME file is concerned.

Don't worry about losing your place, if you edited ANY file the tile will turn bold and a slightly larger font.

so it'll look like this: techs--- once edited: techs

By the way... should anyone find a way to force a diplomatic stance or know any mod for that i would like it very much, i truly hate when a long standing trade partner with a friendly stance automatically decides to wage some kind of righteous war against my nation, to the point that elaborate payments don't sway a decision.

Should anyone need help im readily able to help, pretty much memorized paths needed, sad as it sounds.
    Last edited by Manfreakez; July 18, 2009 at 11:17 PM.

Default Re: All Techs researched before the end of your first turn

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/3952/etwe.jpg

so what exactly should I change to '0' ?

Quote Originally Posted by sarajevac View Post
    http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/3952/etwe.jpg

so what exactly should I change to '0' ?
    Sorry I didn't respond for quite a.... ahem.... while....

But... I read over my instructions, and they were a little muddled I'm sorry.

But, simply change the "2" to "0"

Once you do this, the game reads your save game and thinks it's already researched the tech, enabling you to use it as you wish, whenever you wish.

Just thought I'd vouch for the legitimacy of this tutorial. It definitely worked and the directions are spot on. Thanks for the guide. Also, with the .esf editor update the location of rows looks a little different but for the most part you are still changing the "2" or "4" to a "0". Thanks again, game is very interesting with all techs.

excellent find. works like a charm.

Hi, I'm completely new here, just downloaded DarthMod this morning. I've followed these instructions absolutely to the letter and everytime I try to open the saved game the game crashes. I can't seem to see a reason why this is the case as this has worked for others. Perhaps because I'm running DarthMod? Might that be an issue? Also, I did this with a save game that was about 12 turns in, might that be the issue?

Thanks a lot

Quote Originally Posted by samboraisgod View Post
    Hi, I'm completely new here, just downloaded DarthMod this morning. I've followed these instructions absolutely to the letter and everytime I try to open the saved game the game crashes. I can't seem to see a reason why this is the case as this has worked for others. Perhaps because I'm running DarthMod? Might that be an issue? Also, I did this with a save game that was about 12 turns in, might that be the issue?

Thanks a lot
    It's not darth mod I can tell you that. I run darth mod and it didn't crash on me. How far into the game were you?

Laetus

I did also crash every time I tried it. I have even started a new campaign to see if that would make any difference but
    it didn't

Quote Originally Posted by Amenra_ View Post
    I did also crash every time I tried it. I have even started a new campaign to see if that would make any difference but
    it didn't

I cant get this to work either! It crashes the game.
    I noticed Great Britian has a figure of 60 in a column on tech29?

Are you using Win 7 64 bit? I thought maybe it has something to do with permissions but have not found a cure.

Prehaps the person who discovered this can make some save games files just for the big ones like GB, Prussia, Sweden, France, Russia etc so that we can use it that way?

Sucks because I have no intention of waiting for the technology, it takes forever.