Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Japanese Holdouts in the Pacific

Pious Agnost's Avatar Praefectus

Default Re: Japanese Holdouts in the Pacific

Something along the lines of "Oh my God, women!"

At which point he turned around and went back to the jungle...
    'When people stop believing in God, they don’t believe in nothing — they believe in anything. '

-Emile Cammaerts' book The Laughing Prophets (1937)

Under the patronage of Nihil. So there.

Pious Agnost's Avatar Praefectus

Not sure whether to laugh or cry right now

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Leaflet after leaflet was dropped. Newspapers were left. Photographs and letters from relatives were dropped. Friends and relatives spoke out over loudspeakers. There was always something suspicious, so they never believed that the war had really ended.

http://history1900s.about.com/od/wor...oldiersurr.htm

There's devotion to orders and there's using common sense. How common an allied tactic was getting friends and relatives to talk over load-speakers and write letters?
    Very common, ever heard American used Japanese PoWs to ask their comrades surrenderd during Battle of Iwo Jima??

Quote Originally Posted by hellheaven1987 View Post
    Very common, ever heard American used Japanese PoWs to ask their comrades surrenderd during Battle of Iwo Jima??
    For christ's sakes how is that even remotely the same? PHOTGRAPHS AND LETTERS FROM RELATIVES.

Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    'When people stop believing in God, they don’t believe in nothing — they believe in anything. '

Aetius's Avatar Vae victis

Quote Originally Posted by Kralle18 View Post
    Good point. Just, how would we ourselves have acted after being through the same.
    Much more rationaly, I can assure you.
    Blut und Boden

I once read somewhere that they air dropped thousands of pannphlets informing that the war had ended over all of the south pacific islands where there was fighting, but a lot of japanese holdouts thought it was an allied trick. And also after 5 or 10 years you ought to think the war has ended, or at least try to get back to fight.

Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.

Canute the Great is one of my respect historical figure.
    Last edited by hellheaven1987; July 13, 2009 at 01:44 PM.

One man's brave and dedicated is another man's malicious and indoctrinated. It makes me a little sick at the overly zealous attitude of men like this who believed that reason came second to unthinking adherence.
    I wasn't talking to you, just FYI your name isn't Chukada1.

pspguy123's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Badass of the Week: Hiroo Onoda

If you wanna know about badass japanese soldiers that lived in jungles for years after the war was over, read this.
    PAKISTAN NEEDS ITS OWN ATATÜRK
    Turkish secularism is infinitely better than Saudi theocracy

پاکستان زنداباد
    Pakistan Zindabad!

God-Emperor of Mankind's Avatar Apperently I protect
    Moderator Emeritus

For christ's sakes how is that even remotely the same? PHOTGRAPHS AND LETTERS FROM RELATIVES.
    We don't really know what type of propaganda was fed to them during this era.
    They were no doubt told that the allied forces would do anything to trick them and combine this with that them considering themselfs invincible and couldn't lose the war, well is it really that big of a stretch to think that they might not believe what is being told even if it's their relatives speaking ?

Quote Originally Posted by TB666 View Post
    They were no doubt told that the allied forces would do anything to trick them and combine this with that them considering themselfs invincible and couldn't lose the war, well is it really that big of a stretch to think that they might not believe what is being told even if it's their relatives speaking ?
    That is part of reasons; another reason is that Japanese already prepared to sacrify Japan main islands and continue the war, so it is not strange relative photograph would show up in propoganda war if they were captured by Allies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

What I read about Onoda is that the reason why he refused to surrender for so long was not because he thought the war wasn't over yet. He had a trasister radio with him, and by listening to Japanese broadcasts he eventually became aware that the war was over. However, he feared the he would be arrested for the murder of the local policemen over the years. Apparently one of the thing he asked to his former superior was a guarantee that he wouldn't be prosecuted.

That being said, while I have to admire his dedication and resolve, I think he is a right wing nut.

I sympathize much more with Yokoi Shoichi, who was a common grunt unlike Onoda. He was aware that the war was over, but he didn't want to come out because he was afraid of being hanged for desertion or treason, and that his family would be ostracized for producing a "Un-national". Unlike Onoda who killed many policemen, he was in total hiding for 28 years not hurting anybody. He also didn't leave Japan after failing to re-integrate into the society like Onoda.

CtrlAltDe1337's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by Chukada1 View Post
    What a bunch of idiots.
    I'd hardly call them idiots. Very brave, somewhat overzealous for Japan, but not idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut View Post
    What I read about Onoda is that the reason why he refused to surrender for so long was not because he thought the war wasn't over yet. He had a trasister radio with him, and by listening to Japanese broadcasts he eventually became aware that the war was over. However, he feared the he would be arrested for the murder of the local policemen over the years. Apparently one of the thing he asked to his former superior was a guarantee that he wouldn't be prosecuted.

That being said, while I have to admire his dedication and resolve, I think he is a right wing nut.

I sympathize much more with Yokoi Shoichi, who was a common grunt unlike Onoda. He was aware that the war was over, but he didn't want to come out because he was afraid of being hanged for desertion or treason, and that his family would be ostracized for producing a "Un-national". Unlike Onoda who killed many policemen, he was in total hiding for 28 years not hurting anybody. He also didn't leave Japan after failing to re-integrate into the society like Onoda.
    Unless I misunderstood you, "Right wing Nut"?

So I guess the Soviet Soldiers fighting at Stalingrad were "left wing nuts". Am I right?

Quote Originally Posted by Purified_Slander View Post

So I guess the Soviet Soldiers fighting at Stalingrad were "left wing nuts". Am I right?
    If you actually read the link I provided, you would know that he is currently a representative of one of the biggest right wing organization in Japan, that calls for a new consitution "based on the old tradition" of Japan(guess what tradition would that be?), abolishing the gender free law, a new education system to instill a "sense of patriotism" to children, and giving no voting rights to any foreigner.

are you ing serious? he is referring to the right-wing extremists in the japanese political spectrum, not you right-wing americans lmao. Seriously, learn some history before you post.
    Have a question about China? Get your answer here.

Quote Originally Posted by bushbush View Post
    are you ing serious? he is referring to the right-wing extremists in the japanese political spectrum, not you right-wing americans lmao. Seriously, learn some history before you post.
    Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut View Post
    If you actually read the link I provided, you would know that he is currently a representative of one of the biggest right wing organization in Japan, that calls for a new consitution "based on the old tradition" of Japan(guess what tradition would that be?), abolishing the gender free law, a new education system to instill a "sense of patriotism" to children, and giving no voting rights to any foreigner.
    Yeah, I didn't even read the link.

pspguy123's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Yeah, I didn't even read the link.
    Lol, you just got owned.
    PAKISTAN NEEDS ITS OWN ATATÜRK
    Turkish secularism is infinitely better than Saudi theocracy

پاکستان زنداباد
    Pakistan Zindabad!

I wasn't talking to you, just FYI your name isn't Chukada1.
    Here on TWC you can reply to any post you like, no matter who it was 'addressed' to. If you want a two-way conversation go on MSN.

Quote Originally Posted by TB666 View Post
    His orders-

You are absolutely forbidden to die by your own hand. It may take three years, it may take five, but whatever happens, we'll come back for you. Until then, so long as you have one soldier, you are to continue to lead him. You may have to live on coconuts. If that's the case, live on coconuts! Under no circumstances are you [to] give up your life voluntarily.

I think he was terrified of being seen as unpatriotic and despite all the overwhelming evidence didn't bother to fall back on common sense. I have no doubt he and others (except one, pvt. Akatsu, who surrendered in 1948). Onada was a Lieutenant and their Commanding officer, so he was in charge and should shoulder the blame for being so pig-headed, paranoid and incredulous even with the voice of their relatives ringing in their ears. His responsibilities were difficult, certainly, but looking facts in the face despite the precieved consequences and not ripping them up takes true moral courage.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast