Thread: Pushing ability??

Default Pushing ability??

Hi,guys.Been playing RTW for years but I still wonder 'bout manythings ,include pushing ability
    Hmm...What factor affect it and how it work.I mean ,between unit pushing hard and unit pushing "weak" ,what benefit of pushing hard (In-game)???
    Since it's game,it's long way to go to be as accurate as real life, but how far did EB go? Does game engine allow modder to add some realism to gameplay about pushing? and how much did it allow?
    I've read that unit with spear attribute will push harder than others.So what? push hard mean one keep moving forward and the other step back ,or it add some attack bonus in pushing?
    It'll be so cool if the pushing side have bonus,lol .Imagine Spartans will teach Romans a lesson if they have bonus from pushing.Besides ,in history ,hoplites fight by push, push and crush.Makedonia phalanx style do the same.They keep moving forward, not stand still like a wall.
    In RTR i'm satisfied with push not much.I dont know 'bout EB,but I hope it'll be better.If u guys want to keep balance in game,you can help them to push harder but reduce hoplite attack.It may be still ok
    It's my opinion.please correct me if i'm wrong
    Besides, it's a great mod.I'm downloading it.hope it works
    Last edited by tranhungdao; July 11, 2009 at 10:32 PM.

Icon3 Re: Pushing ability??

Pushing ability is determined by unit mass and possibly the spear attribute. The effects of it cannot be modded. I recall that, all other things being equal, the unit with the higher mass has a slight advantage in combat, but I don't know where or how it has been tested. I think that the pushed unit gets to make fewer attacks than the pushing unit, but I wouldn't really know.

Incidentally, it's actually far from certain that hoplites fought by pushing. A phase of hoplite combat is indeed described as "the push", but this may not have been meant literally. Despite the impression that many popular-historical sources give, we aren't certain how hoplites fought. Check out this post by an EB member for an explanation.

However, I doubt you will be disappointed by EB's hoplites. They are one of the sturdiest rand-and-file units available.

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

Default Re: Pushing ability??

The problem is that the pushing effect in RTW, albeit doable, is completely against its original purpose - to break the enemy's morale. Instead the unit who's pushing would break formation and get itself surrounded and slaughtered, while the pushed enemy suffers absolutely NOTHING.

Default Re: Pushing ability??

Thanks.It seem clear to me now...