Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: A Guide to Great Britain

Default Re: A Guide to Great Britain

Two schools in England, economic spending (Indiamen) and roads are priorities. 4th rate ships of the line are critical too, so you need to raise cash. Sell trading rights to the Ottomans and the Maratha (for now), and sell seasoning tech to anyone who will buy. Disband all pike units, militia infantry and sloops/brigs. They're fairly usless anyway. You need quality over quantity.

Always, always, always go to India first. Once the Maratha get halfway up India they're too expensive to stop. Send an army of 5 line infantry, 2 demi-cannons, the two yeomanry cavalry with Churchill and the French turncoat. Take out Mysore first as they have the full range of buildings. The Marathas will send troops south to face you off, which buys time for the Mughals. Ally with them and attack Carnatica, the Portuguese will back you up too.

In North America, get your plantations producing coffee as the sugar trade in Brazil will lower your income over time. Give Rupert's Land to the Inuit (they might fight the Hurons) and take your rangers, line infantry, cannon and dragoons to Jamaica. Build two more line infantry and sail to Antigua, take it, then take Trinidad and Tobago. You can sell T&T to the Spanish.

Concentrate on land war in India and achieving absolute naval dominance elsewhere. You can't compete with the French and Spanish armies on land in Europe at the moment, so if war comes you want to be able to preserve you trade at the expense of theirs. Blockade and raid, that's the key.

In India, you'll need a bit of luck to get past the first Maratha wave, but take your time and try and get two armies, one for attacking and one for holding. Tech up the Mughals, Portuguese and the 13 Colonies, sell to everybody else. Forget about the Dutch as they'll drop you at the first opportunity they can.

Cheers!

Julio85's Avatar Biarchus

Nice Guide, even if it's a long time that i don't play to Empire I would like to give some advises in addition at the previous ones

I think that it's vital establish a base or two in the Mediterranean sea: Malta or Gibilterra are my fovourites (Malta it's the better choice) and also a good base for the indiaman it's take over Island.

Diplomacy and Strategies
    if you will find yourself in a big war with France and Spain...you may try to force a peaceful realtions with you, by take over some of their settlements in latin america and exanche it for peace and trade agreement Cuba\santo domingo) are good to leave spain outside the war with France for the north American territories or if you are attacking french colonies in Canada the better choice it's attack more than one territories at the time for accelerating their collapse.
    India in my opinion its importanto to get a base in the early time like Calcutta (rich and far away from the military power of the idian factions.

your guide to great Britain is so awesome but great Britain is so easy cause no one attacks London

This is a bit necro, but seeing as things move slowly here...

I ran into a couple interesting things. I'd advise against wiping out pirates and building Indiamen. Reasons are quite simple. Most of the time, you'll be dragged into war with Sweden (unless you want to instantly break your alliances), and their navy is vastly inferior to yours...that means liable to being captured. They'll provide you with some Indiamen...involutarily.

For a similar reason, do not wipe out pirates. They are, as far as I know, only source of galleons. And you want as many of these bad boys (eh, girls actually, as ships are generally referred to as feminine) as possible. Capturing one is difficult with starting fleet, but possible...the fleet you have in America on the beginning is enough to take the single galleon lurking around the Gulf of Mexico. Be careful though...galleons have, in addition to regular side guns, four cannons on the bow, facing forward...they might not seem like much, but they're capable of crippling a sloop or brig with single lucky volley.

Also, keeping pirates around as a common enemy might help relations a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Sar1n View Post
    This is a bit necro, but seeing as things move slowly here...

I ran into a couple interesting things. I'd advise against wiping out pirates and building Indiamen. Reasons are quite simple. Most of the time, you'll be dragged into war with Sweden (unless you want to instantly break your alliances), and their navy is vastly inferior to yours...that means liable to being captured. They'll provide you with some Indiamen...involutarily.

For a similar reason, do not wipe out pirates. They are, as far as I know, only source of galleons. And you want as many of these bad boys (eh, girls actually, as ships are generally referred to as feminine) as possible. Capturing one is difficult with starting fleet, but possible...the fleet you have in America on the beginning is enough to take the single galleon lurking around the Gulf of Mexico. Be careful though...galleons have, in addition to regular side guns, four cannons on the bow, facing forward...they might not seem like much, but they're capable of crippling a sloop or brig with single lucky volley.

Also, keeping pirates around as a common enemy might help relations a bit.
    The Spanish build galleons, and you are almost sure of going to war with them eventually, so why not wipe out the pirates right off and put them out of your misery? Then once you're at war with Spain(hopefully AFTER you've got at least 4th rates) you can then send the galleons to replace your indiamen.

Hey guys, I think this guide is fantastic! I successfully take the Americas without any problem. But however, I normally play the Grand Campaign and once I own the Americas, I do not know where to go from there. I am always learning and improving my skills, I need to get better with managing a navy because normally my home ports become under threat and my navys end up being destroyed by the French or Spanish.

It seems that landing straight in Europe is a very tricky task because of Sweden to the North, Poland-Lithuania to the East and France to the South. I managed to take Brussels and the United Provinces because they had fallen, but I wasn't able to hold them. I also managed to take Norway and Sweden. I was trying to build up a large enough navy as soon as possible but with my trade blocked, I was losing a lot from trade. I was near bankruptcy so had to disband troops. Nations did not rebel because I had built church schools and upgraded many of my new nations.

I think the one thing which let me down was letting my ports become valuable. I was fighting Sweden, Spain and France.

Do you have any advice/tips what I could have done in future? Maybe a expanded version of this guide for how I could conquer other nations before they become too powerful.

Dont exterminate pirates (regions), they harass spanish colonies more than the player could do. just keep some cheap upkeep unit stationes in your active trading ports on the caribbean to prevent it being damaged.
    One pirate ship blockading the spanish and french trade routes in the caribbean have great impact on these countries trade budget.

Another reason not to destroy the pirates is that you can take their ships for prize money, making it a good source of income, especially in the early game.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234