Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are you converting to Christianity in your campaigns?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Are you converting to Christianity in your campaigns?

To bring some life into this nearly dead forum, I´ll start a new topic:
    How do you deal with the Portuguese and the Christendom?

Do you convert to this new religion and start building churches?
    Or do you remain Buddhist in your campaigns?

Default Re: Are you converting to Christianity in your campaigns?

I tend to convert and start training Teppo Ashigaru as soon as possible. Converting has many advantages, including, but not limited to, the large cathedral income that is drawn from all churches and increased trade income from the trading posts and of course the guns themselves which are very effective if correctly deployed. The only real disadvantage is the inability to train budhist warrior monks.

If you do convert, remember to train lots of Christian Emissaries (Catholic Priests) instead of standard Emissaries. The standard emissaries are actually budhists and will slowly convert your provinces back to budhism. Send the emissaries out to convert target provinces before you invade.

For me, it varies. I tend to roleplay my clan to an extent, so it depends on which one I'm playing.

If I'm playing the more "traditional" Takeda or the Mori, I usually don't convert. If I'm playing the more "progressive" Shimazu or Oda, I generally do convert.

With the other three clans (Hojo, Imagawa, & Uesugi), whether or not I convert is often dependent on need and/or expediency. I tend to be a bit more....Machievellian when playing those clans.
    "Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." - Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by Martok View Post
    For me, it varies. I tend to roleplay my clan to an extent, so it depends on which one I'm playing ... If I'm playing the more "progressive" Shimazu or Oda, I generally do convert.
    Well, then it was a good (and historical accurate) choice to convert in my first campaign with the Shimazu.

But I´m the only clan switching to christianity - all others remain Buddhist, even some decades after the portuguese arrival.
    How does the AI usually act in your campaigns?

I've seen the Shimazu convert on occasion, although it doesn't happen often. Not sure if I remember seeing other clans go Christian or not. I know for sure that the Mori *never* do (at least not in any of my campaigns).
    "Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." - Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by Caravel View Post
    If you do convert, remember to train lots of Christian Emissaries (Catholic Priests) instead of standard Emissaries. The standard emissaries are actually budhists and will slowly convert your provinces back to budhism. Send the emissaries out to convert target provinces before you invade.
    Thanks, a good info

Haven´t thought about this ...

Axalon's Avatar She-Hulk wills it!

Hi guys,

Oh Caravel, you’re such a hopeless progressive opportunist in these regards, but he is probably right about all the details Xerrop (you see, he loves “Teppos”, that's probably why he knows all about the Christian stuff).

I on the other hand am a stubborn traditionalist that never bothered much with Christianity (I loathe gunpowder, you see). I put my faith in my highly skilled archers and Yari (and heavy) cavalry formations instead (and No-dachi of course). Usually, it works pretty well too…

I get the feeling that Martok is somewhere between me and Caravel…

- Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Axalon View Post
    Hi guys,

Oh Caravel, you’re such a hopeless progressive opportunist in these regards, but he is probably right about all the details Xerrop (you see, he loves “Teppos”, that's probably why he knows all about the Christian stuff).
    Teppos require some skill to deploy and use. You may need more experience playing the game before you get the hang of them. For now stick to your familiar "hack and slash" tactics. Remember well the fate of the Takeda Cavarly when facing Lord Oda... remember it well.

Icon6 Re: Are you converting to Christianity in your campaigns?

[QUOTE=Caravel;5540182]If you do convert, remember to train lots of Christian Emissaries (Catholic Priests) instead of standard Emissaries. QUOTE]

Yes that's what I do sometimes. But what I really do with missionaries is to convert people and p*ss off other Buddhists clans. More Christians+Buddhist leader=Christian rebellion. If the province became rebel I invade it straight away.

If my Christian province got invaded by Buddhists the local peasants might rise up that is if they did.

Only bad thing about being Christian is the zealous Mori clan (or other clans made religious by the AI) will try and attack you. You'll also find it difficult to maintain some temples and provinces because of your religion.

Yojimbo's Avatar Pig tail Sock
    Citizen

Often convert, I love using gun units. Warrior monks are badass as well tho.

Edward lV's Avatar Campidoctor

I usualy wait for the dutch in my games. Much easier.

The conversion to catholicism and builing of churches and cathedrals actually has big advantages, both in terms of Teppo units and extra cathedral and trading post income. The only real disadvantage is that you lose the ability to train Monks.

Edward lV's Avatar Campidoctor

And alot of unrest at first. I cant be bothered dealing with it. Dutch is better aswell because you get musketeers straight away if i recall.

The unrest is more your rival clans' problem than your problem. Catholic priests convert provinces very quickly so that they're ready for occupation before you invade. The AI on the other hand struggles to take and hold your lands due to religious differences.

By the time the Dutch arrive, if you'd accepted the Portuguese and started building churches and a cathedral you'd have Musketeers already. The Portuguese are really the best option unless you want to remain Buddhist and train Monks.

Catholic priests convert provinces very quickly so that they're ready for occupation before you invade.
    Unfortunatly it seems, that the AI´s first priority is to kill all my priests as soon as possible, so I don´t have time to convert enemy provinces.

Another question: Priests can also be used as emissaries. But since I´m the only clan that switches to Christianity it isn´t very useful. All my priests return beheaded. Does it make any sense to use priests as emissaries?

Quote Originally Posted by Xerrop View Post
    Unfortunatly it seems, that the AI´s first priority is to kill all my priests as soon as possible, so I don´t have time to convert enemy provinces.

Another question: Priests can also be used as emissaries. But since I´m the only clan that switches to Christianity it isn´t very useful. All my priests return beheaded. Does it make any sense to use priests as emissaries?
    Priests = Christian Emissaries
    Emissaries = Buddhist Emissaries

"Emissaries" convert the religion of a province to their religion. Both can also perform bribes and diplomacy and both are sitting ducks for ninja. They are identical in function. The only difference is their religion. To convert provinces you realistically need about 10 emissaries and you should move them from a well protected base (several high honour shinobi should see to this) into the target province. Leave them there converting the province for a few seasons until the first one is killed. At this point move the whole lot back into their base province to draw the enemy ninja into a trap. Once an enemy ninja is caught move them all back in. Once the Christian percentage is under/over 50% - invade. Rinse and repeat.

Emissaries returning beheaded does have a little to do with their religion. If you're that unpopular you will find this will often happen with your Buddhist Emissaries when visiting Buddhist Daimyos also. Being of the same religion just means that it's less likely to happen - but the attempted diplomacy will probably still have same resultm, i.e. ceasefire/audience refused.
    Last edited by caravel; July 23, 2009 at 06:15 AM.

To convert provinces you realistically need about 10 emissaries and you should move them from a well protected base (several high honour shinobi should see to this) into the target province. Leave them there converting the province for a few seasons until the first one is killed. At this point move the whole lot back into their base province to draw the enemy ninja into a trap. Once an enemy ninja is caught move them all back in.
    Wow, you are using so many priests for a single province?
    Must be a hard task to send dozens of priests around on the map

But I get your trick - should try it when I´m playing my next campaign

Quote Originally Posted by Xerrop View Post
    Wow, you are using so many priests for a single province?
    Must be a hard task to send dozens of priests around on the map
    Not at all. Move your high honour Shinobi around as well. Keep them one province behind the priests so that they don't have far to go to safety. Also moving the Shinobi along like this means that they'll always be in the recently conquered provinces helping to maintain loyalty.

2 quick questions:

1) If you've converted to Christianity, can you ever convert back to Buddhism? If so, how?

2) I've heard people say that sometimes the Dutch don't even appear. It's 1577 in my campaign and still no Dutch traders (am playing on normal). When are they supposed to start appearing, or is it true that in some cases they will not even appear? I ask because I don't really want to convert, but I'd like to use the gun units.

rep me if you like my posts, and it's highly likely you'll get some back

Axalon's Avatar She-Hulk wills it!

Quote Originally Posted by el_dude View Post
    1) If you've converted to Christianity, can you ever convert back to Buddhism? If so, how?

2) I've heard people say that sometimes the Dutch don't even appear. It's 1577 in my campaign and still no Dutch traders (am playing on normal). When are they supposed to start appearing, or is it true that in some cases they will not even appear? I ask because I don't really want to convert, but I'd like to use the gun units.

Hi El_dude....

1. You’ll need to build a Buddhist-temple and then you are in business, that is what the "guide-people" used to say at least - never done it myself, so I don’t know the exact effects after that is completed. Maybe you could report it in?

2. I think we should save it to the thread you set up for the matter. It is easier that way and it generates less confusion (here and elsewhere).

- Cheers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast