Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Battle Music Changer

Default Battle Music Changer

Since I've begun modding for Empire I've noticed a popular request among would-be modders and mod users alike is the ability to use your own music within your game. Now many people have figured out how to change their campaign music rather easily and even some intrepid individuals have edited their deployment, prebattle, post battle, ect music. However, one aspect has alluded most: battle music. I now present the solution:

What this is: Two modders' resource files that have been edited to allow custom battle music in-game without the hassle of learning hex editing. The two files are already edited to allow the usage of a amauter modder familiar with the excellent Pack File Manager to quite easily replace Empire's battle music with their own (legal, right?).mp3s.

What this isn't: A full blown mod or .pack file. I briefly considered releasing a music mod of my own, but thought that along with different tastes in music, that the better choice is to freely give out the knowledge to change one's own music to suit their tastes just like you were able to do in Rome and Medieval II.

What files are there?: sound_events_music.csv & the rather infamous sound_events data dump file. Of the two the sound_events is the one most people run into trouble with when editing battle music and for good reason, it requires hex editing to accomplish.

What do these files do?: Quite simply they remove the loop point requirement of battle music that prevents any replacements from properly working. Ever tried to replace battle music only to find out the same old vanillia music played instead? This is why. Once the loop points for both files were reset to zero then you can easily replace battle music as you would with campaign music. The only downside at the moment is that there are a limited amount of tracks in vanillia and right now I haven't provided any ability to add new songs, only replace existing ones. Also keep in mind that the tracks are set to loop and it appears that each track is coded into a map and will repeat on that map everytime you play it (it already does this for vanillia but might be more obvious with your own tracks as opposed to the generic tracks of Empire); this goes for battle deployment tracks as well. So if you play one map and keep hearing the same track over and over, that is why.

Where do I download these files?: They're the .zip file attached to the bottom of this post. The directories are already properly created, just add them to your Empire Total War\Data directory.

How do you I use these files?: Here's an easy step by step that anyone remotely familiar with modding (or even not) can follow and add their own tracks:

Step 1: Download the latest version of the Pack File Manager found here.

Step 2: Download the modified sound_events_music.csv and sound_events files below.

Step 3: Unzip the two files into your Empire Total War/data directory. The two files come complete with their own tree so just throw them into your data folder and move on to the next step.

Step 4: Open up the Pack File Manager, open an existing sound mod pack or create a new pack file.

Step 5: Right-click on the Untitled.pack tree (or in the case of an existing mod, (Mod Name.pack) and select Add File(s), surf through your data directory to "sounds\events" and click on the sound_events_music.csv to add it. Do the samething for "\sounds_packed" sound_events and add it as well. You should now have two trees within your newly created pack file (or two more to an existing one).

Step 6: While keeping the Pack Manager open but minimized, find your associated .mp3s you desire to add to your game and move all of them to your Empire Total War\data directory for easy use (remember to remove them from this directory once the pack is created, as it will be redudant and a waste of space otherwise to leave them).

Step 7: Open up your sound_events_music.csv found in the "data\sounds\events" folder and scroll over to the right while looking at the top until you find: "Music\FrontEnd\MUS015_Empire_Theme_ORC.mp3". What is this? This is a reference to the music you hear on the main menu of Empire. If you scroll down while looking in this same column you will notice a myriad of other similar paths all with different names ending in .mp3. This is the reference to tracks and these will be the names you will be replacing your chosen .mp3s with. Take a notice what begins before each track name, such as: Prebattle, Land, Naval, Campaign, and Loading Screen as these refer to what type of music it is and when it will play. From here you simply copy and paste the name of the track, for example a battle music for western nations would be: MUS061_BATTLE_Western_ORC_[LOOP].mp3. Copy and paste these titles over your own .mp3s until they look identical. Keep in mind that there are three types of battle music per locational map theme, which are western, Ottoman, Indian, and Tribal and generally these tracks will play on maps that fit this motiff.

Step 8: Once you have renamed all your desired .mp3s now you must make a directory so as to put them into your pack file. This is rather simple, all you must do is create a new folder structure in your Empire Total War\Data directory to correspond to the music type you intend to replace. For example, if you have only replaced land tracks, you must create a folder structure as the following: "Music\Land" and then put all your land battle tracks within the land folder. The end result of the folder structure for land battles should look like this: "Data\Music\Land". The same would be true for other types of tracks, create new folders named Campaign for Campaign music, Naval for Naval music, Prebattle for Prebattle music, Results for Results music, and Frontend for main menu music where applicable.

Step 9: Let us recap. You now should have within your pack file two trees that include the files below, sound_events_music.csv and sound_events and within your actual Empire Total War\Data folder you should have the associated music tracks in their properly built tree that corresponds to their track type; such as the above examples of Music\Land\(Your various renamed tracks here). Once you have all this ready, go on to step 10 to hand jam them into your pack file.

Step 10: Go back into your Pack Manager (you remembered to keep it open right?) and go back to the Untitled.pack tree at the top, right-click, Add Directory, and select the root Music folder within your Data folder. There you go, all newly added and renamed tracks should now appear in your pack root. Next right click on Untitled.pack once more and go down to Change Pack type and select "Mod" so that it is checked. Finally, go to File > Save_as and name it (whatever you want).pack.

There you go, now all you need to do is activate it like any other mod and once you go in game you should have your own working music tracks all across the board. Bare in mind that all music is map-based so your favorite tracks may not show up when desired, as they will only play on an appropriate map for the Grand Campaign and skirmish battles as well.

If there are any questions on files or bugs to report just let me know via this thread.

Special thanks go to Compound for providing a road map to solving the battle music issue.
    Last edited by Brenil; July 04, 2009 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Typos

Default Re: Modders' Resource: Battle Music Changer

Awesome resource, +rep.

Grand Duke Vytautas's Avatar Dueling it out
    Citizen

Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Universe, lol

Default Re: Battle Music Changer

Wow this is godsend, thanks a million sir, now I can remove those anoying loops in my music mod
    “Great empires are not maintained by timidity.” ― Tacitus

AnimaMea's Avatar Miles

Urgg... i spent ages chucking in Bach harpsichord concertos for the battles and purcell y Lully for campaign but cant get it to work... i checked all the names and paths but still get the vanilla music...
    might my changes be clashing or something?

It rather depends on what you're doing. Are you following the above instructions? Also don't forget the rather obvious mistake many (including myself) do from time to time and forget to activate the mod via the user_empire_script.txt (which must be saved in unicode format).
    Last edited by Brenil; July 04, 2009 at 03:55 PM.

Citizen

Yes especially step 10 is vital, I messed up on the tick mod thingie first time

Also keep in mind that if you only add a few tracks you may still get vanillia music where it doesn't make sense. For instance, the western theme applies to western maps in so far as CA actually identified a map as western. So if you play a skirmish battle on say Flanders, which is geographically western, it will instead (due to presumably a map designer flub) play Ottoman (or Tribal, I forget) music. Try several skirmish maps (or even campaign battles) before deciding it isn't working. Two good ones to test for western music are Provence and Bavaria, which I believe are correctly set to play western music.

AnimaMea's Avatar Miles

I did 2 versions... in one mod pack i used all the existing western names 'mus049...' then played bavaria custom... same old loopy stuff, so i remamed all the western battle music in the .csv with my own, n that didnt work
    i think ill just gve up... thanks anyway, i hope it worked for everyone else

hitokiri2486's Avatar Centenarius

this is an amazing tool and tutorial! it really belongs in the mod tutorials section of the site...

I just replaced my front end music with the theme from the HBO series "John Adams." sounds very nice.

anyone have any suggestions about what kind of music to put for battles? period music or otherwise?
    Let me persuade you with my powerful logic skills.

In light of the Total War series, a quote from the theologian whom I respect the most:

The Heavenly City outshines Rome, beyond comparison. There, instead of victory, is truth; instead of high rank, holiness.
    St. Augustine, Bishop of Hippo

I did 2 versions... in one mod pack i used all the existing western names 'mus049...' then played bavaria custom... same old loopy stuff, so i remamed all the western battle music in the .csv with my own, n that didnt work
    Firstly, are you copying and pasting the whole name of the original track over the .mp3 you're trying to replace it with? Secondly, you are enabling it via the user_empire_script.txt and saving it as unicode, yes? Thirdly, your second solution isn't one at all, as renaming the music files in the .csv doesn't matter because those music files are still referred to in their original form in the sound_events and individual map files; therefore the only way to get it to work easily (or at all) is to rename your .mp3 to replace the original one.

If you wish to solve the issue, send me a PM with a detailed step by step of what you're doing and I'll help you out. The files do work as I've replaced all of my music and each track has played at least once. Which, incidently, brings up another issue I discovered last night; some land maps - for whatever reason - will sometimes play naval tracks and if you didn't replace your naval tracks it would explain why sometimes you hear original music on land battles when you've replaced all the land battle music. Don't ask me why, but CA for some reason decided to forgo the entire theme system and their map makers just threw whatever type of music on a map that fit their whim; which somewhat negates the point of having region-based music to begin with.

AnimaMea's Avatar Miles

I did exactly as you said in the walkthrough, and i filled in the empire script as well.... ill try overwriting the naval music too and see if that fixes it

AnimaMea's Avatar Miles

I fixed the problem... The converter i used to get the mp3s kept the original file name internally even after i renamed them. just used itunes to edit the track data and now it works fine
    Thanks

Good that you fixed your problem. The Devil is in the details after all.

Citizen

Hey Brenil try out my music mod for ETW with your improvement, I've added loads of music
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=239470

I might at a later date, but I am currently using a Homeworld series soundtrack that works just dandy for my personal tastes.

Ältester der Motten's Avatar Primicerius

Does this work with the Main Screen Loop aswell?

plissken3's Avatar Decanus

Sounds very good mate well done I will download this and try it & +REP (when my rep o' meter thingy fills up) all done mate rep added
    Last edited by plissken3; August 09, 2009 at 05:54 PM.
    WHY NOT TRY MY MODS BELOW - FOR EMPIRE & NAPOLEON
    here:BetterMusicMod& here:SharpeThemeMod
    & here:WarpathPictureMod

Does this work with the Main Screen Loop aswell?
    It removes loop points, not the loop. Loop points are where certain areas of a track are pre-determined to loop to make for a more 'continous' music experience; this is most noticable in battle music and incidently what prevents people from changing the tracks to their choice due to loop points being referred to in the sound_events and sound_events_music.csv files.

However, to answer your question more specifically, you can remove the loop as well, but the problem is you do not have any other song on that list to go to next for that scene. So, as far as I can feature, that would require the ability to add songs, which at this moment without mod tools doesn't appear possible as it would require a rewrite of the sound_events file.

Ältester der Motten's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Brenil View Post
    It removes loop points, not the loop. Loop points are where certain areas of a track are pre-determined to loop to make for a more 'continous' music experience; this is most noticable in battle music and incidently what prevents people from changing the tracks to their choice due to loop points being referred to in the sound_events and sound_events_music.csv files.

However, to answer your question more specifically, you can remove the loop as well, but the problem is you do not have any other song on that list to go to next for that scene. So, as far as I can feature, that would require the ability to add songs, which at this moment without mod tools doesn't appear possible as it would require a rewrite of the sound_events file.
    Actually what I meant was if this could be applied on the loop in the menu aswell, not if I could totally remove it.

I think this is a yes.

I'm not at my home computer now, but from memory I do not believe the frontend music has loop points, just a loop. There's a significant difference between loop points and a loop. A loop plays the entire song and then repeats it once it is over with. Loop points set a point within the song to loop over once it hits that point which makes for instances of more 'dramatic' music being played over and over again.

This resource removes loop points for all music, but none of the loops. I hope that explains it more clearly. I can, however, provide a loop-less set of files as well if necessarcy, but like I already said that would only cause the music to stop once it plays once and I believe (although haven't tested this) that seeing as how music is determined by a map that no other track will play afterward.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast