Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Curia Hostilia: Consulate of Marcellus/Caesar

Gaius Julius Civilis's Avatar Senator
    Castra Ultra Traiectum - Germania Inferior

Default Re: Curia Hostilia: Consulate of Marcellus/Caesar

"I will only agree to the destruction of Carthage when their Empire is on its knees and begging us to let them keep their last city as a lonely testament to their once great power. Then, and only then will I agree to the conquest and the complete and utter destruction of the city of Carthage. Until then there are too many dangers involved in an expedition. As Lepidus pointed out, the Carthaginian Empire still stretches the globe, containing the Silver mines of Iberia, the vast deserts of Africa and the mountains of the Punic Isles, among others.

And even if I did want Carthage destroyed in the coming campaign, it would certainly not be under the imperium that is proposed now. He receives full Imperium over Africa. That includes recruiting new forces at will, conquering neutral or even allied cities in the area, or any number of follies that this August body would never - and should never - consent to.

I do not have the power to Veto motions, but I certainly would if I had the chance. For now, let me voice my open disapproval of the motion at hand."
    YOU ARE THE SENATE - SENATOR PROCVLVS IVNIVS VERVS MINOR - XXX
    PLEBEIAN

Seneca jumps to his feet.

Full Imperium to wage war in Africa? I think not! For what is Imperium but a route to ignore counsel from the senate! We need it not to wage effective war!

In addition, the measures regarding buildings have been carried out, and we now have just under 130,000 denarii in the treasury with buildings being constructed in almost every settlement. We can easily support another legion.
    Last edited by Pontifex Maximus; June 30, 2009 at 06:40 AM.

Aulus stood,
    "I have experience in army management, we see estimates for the figures to make a legion.. The guidlines if you will but, I know that the money fromt eh senate is never enough to fund the things we need. So I must agree, we cannot afford another legion. We could always train and better equip our current ones.."

The Quaestor pauses, then begins to laugh.

Sir, with 130,000 denarii we could fund three legions if we wanted to!

"But Senator, are we under threat? No! Are we currently in need of those legions? Can our veteran legions not handle it? Yes! Do we need better public buildings and amenities? Yes! Must we look after the people, our citizens first? Yes!"

Seneca looks amused.

As one who has seen the reports from Sicily I can say we do indeed need to outfit a legion and dispatch it immediately. A legion should also be sent to Cisapine Gaul and Illyria as well. We are extremely understrength in Sicily at the moment and if the Carthaginians were to launch any semblance of an invasion I cannot bear to think of the consequences.

In addition, we are in an open war with Carthage and there is talk of a major campaign in the near future.
    PLEBEIAN

♔Jean-Luc Picard♔'s Avatar Domesticus

Indeed, the total lack of forces in Sicily is somewhat disturbing. We are at war with Carthage and Sicily is the front line, not Italy. We should levy a Legion for the defense of Sicily at the earliest possible date. To this end I propose this motion for the Consul to open for debate.

Senatus Consultum: Legio Sicilia

I. The cities of Italy and Sicily shall recruit centuries to form the Sicilian Defense Legion, Legio IV.
    II. At the time of recruitment completion, units that were recruited in Italy shall gather in a central location for transport to Sicily.
    III. As soon as all Italian components are gathered, they shall be shipped to Sicily at the earliest possible date.
    IV. Legio IV shall be garrisoned in the city of Syracuse upon arrival and assembly and Syracuse shall become their base city until such a time as the Senate decides otherwise.

It is my great honour to have my poem Farmer in the Scriptorium here.

"Why do we not just move one fo the current idle legions? I must agree however that a Sicily Defense Force be set up, I propose however that half of it is to be auxiliary..."

We could move a legion to Sicily, but what I propose is a permanent defense force. You are correct in that the legion need not be a full fighting legion. I shall amend my proposal to show such.

Senatus Consultum: Legio Sicilia

I. The cities of Italy and Sicily shall recruit centuries to form the Sicilian Defense Legion, Legio IV. The legion shall be comprised of one half regular forces and the other half auxilia.
    II. At the time of recruitment completion, units that were recruited in Italy shall gather in a central location for transport to Sicily.
    III. As soon as all Italian components are gathered, they shall be shipped to Sicily at the earliest possible date.
    IV. Legio IV shall be garrisoned in the city of Syracuse upon arrival and assembly and Syracuse shall become their base city until such a time as the Senate decides otherwise.

"I suport that plan... May I also suggest that an idle legion be moved to aposition that could be more useful against the Carthaginians?"

Watercress's Avatar Praeses
    Her Majesty's Extraterrestrial Possessions

'I can support such a proposal. Sicily needs a good garrison force.'

"And what of the Carthaginians Senators? perhaps the Legio IV should be on Sicily but be there to deploy to Carthage resonably quickly, unless however Sicily was under direct threat"

Might I ask why the city of Syracuse must be their main base? Is that not at the Proconsul's discretion?
    PLEBEIAN

Syracuse is the island's largest city and best suited to maintain the legion. The others are either too small or too isolated to be of use as a legion's home.

"Aye Syracuse is the best base for them in the Sicily region.. But I must ask again, may that legion at Syracuse be prioritised for Carthaginian wars...?"

I shall support this motion of governors and generals for the bettering of Rome..

But why are we ordering the proconsul to post his army there? After all, apart from its size it is hardly the optimal place to adequately fight off a Carthaginian invasion. The location of the Sicilian Legion should be decided by the Proconsul of Sicilia and no-one else. After all, what is his Imperium on Sicilia worth if we say what he can and cannot do?
    PLEBEIAN

This is true, but until we appoint a proconsul of Sicily, there is no one but ourselves to make the decision of where to house the proposed legion. When one is appointed, and if my proposal has not yet been voted upon, I shall amend my proposal to give the Proconsul the choice of where to place the legion.

"Aye, the military should have its way until a proconsul is made..."