Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast

Thread: Curia Hostilia: Consulate of Marcellus/Caesar

Default Re: Curia Hostilia: Consulate of Marcellus/Caesar

Caesar nods.

"The Motion will be put for vote immediatly."

OOC: Ok problem, my screenies arent working they keep appearing black.
    Alistair Yronwood - Lord of Yronwood, Warden of the Stone Way, Blood Royal

"Darkness? I was born in it...molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man. By then it was nothing to me but blinding! The shadows betray you because they belong to me!
    "But there must always be a Darth Traya, one that holds the knowledge of betrayal. Who has been betrayed in their heart, and will betray in turn."

"You clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in. I am not in danger, I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks! "

♔Jean-Luc Picard♔'s Avatar Domesticus

ooc: turn anti-aliasing off.

It is my great honour to have my poem Farmer in the Scriptorium here.

OOC: OK the pics may be a bit wierd since atm my Microsoft pictures mananger is on the fritz

"Darkness? I was born in it...molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man. By then it was nothing to me but blinding! The shadows betray you because they belong to me!
    "But there must always be a Darth Traya, one that holds the knowledge of betrayal. Who has been betrayed in their heart, and will betray in turn."

"You clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in. I am not in danger, I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks! "

Quintus gets a little annoyed

Has anyone taken into consider what I have proposed? I may not be a Consul but surely you would listen to me as this is a Democracy...

Nay sir, this is no Democracy. This is the Roman Republic. As the Constitution says, your time is after the Quaestor has had his say. We are not some Grecian city to be ruled by a mob with no limits to power. We are the chosen of the people to rule them as their needs dictate.

Caesar stands.

"I have in my hands the military report done by myself.

"We have four full sized legions in Tarentum, Genoa, and Croton The rest of the cities are occupied by mercenaries or small garrisons. Are legions make up are as follow:

Legio I-Genoa: 2 Undermanned Hastati, 2 Hastati, 2 Principes, 2 Trarii, 2 Velites, 1 Equites

Legio II-Tarentum: 5 Hastati, 2 Principes, 2 Trarii, 2 Velites, 1 Equites

Legio III-Croton: 2 Hastati, 2 Principes, 2 Triarii, 2 Velites, 1 Equites

It is in my opinion we raise another legion in Capua as soon as possible and send it too Sisicly to reinforce the garrisons there."

As there appears to be no topic currently being discussed, I propose the following motion.

Senatus Consultum: Bello Punico

I. That the Consul Lucius Julius Caesar be granted Consular Imperium over Croton and Tarentum.

II. That Lucius Julius Caesar be granted Imperium over the legion in those cities.

III. That Lucius Julius Caesar be given full Imperium over Africa so that he may destroy Carthage.

I feel that Carthage represents an unprecedented threat to Rome and must be dealt with post-haste. I trust that our Consul is the man to do it. He has what we need to destroy them utterly and make Rome a greater nation for it. With Carthage destroyed, Rome shall control all trade in the West Mediterranean. The wealth this will bring shall take Rome to new heights of power and glory.
    Last edited by ♔Jean-Luc Picard♔; June 29, 2009 at 10:22 PM.

While I support the destruction of Carthage, I would like to remind this august body of a... snag, if you will.

Pallas stood from his chair, his eyes scanned the room as he began speaking, slowly and calculated.

Senators, our consul and I have had an interesting chat in the baths that I feel would be more than appropriate to bring into this chamber. We spoke in metaphors about a wolf, a rabbit, and a carrot. The rabbit, drawn to the carrot, is oblivious to its surroundings. Due to his obliviousness to his surroundings, he is unable to spot the wolf that is eyeing him. As the rabbit approaches the carrot, the wolf pounces from hiding and devours it. Now, our situation is clearly not an exact mirror of the wolf, rabbit, and carrot, but it is similar.

The immediate prize at hand, the carrot, which in our case happens to be Carthage itself, seems ripe for the taking. We have all of Sicily, and the troops to storm those towers and bring down Punic influence on Africa. And so, we would rush forth like the rabbit for the carrot, blind to our surroundings. We must first evaluate our surroundings before plunging headlong into such a decision. No decision should be made in hot-headed haste. Not too far from our Lavinian shores lies the Punic Isles, Corsica and Sardinia. These lands, which had once been under the control of Rome, have now been wrested back into Carthage's folds. These lands, which Carthage holds dominance over, are close enough to Rome herself that were the Carthaginian armada to set sail, they would be at our shores in less than four months.

On these islands, thousands of Roman citizens now live in destitution, abused by their Punic conquerers. They call forth to Rome, hailing the Senate to free them. Are we to abandon citizens of Rome? Are we to let honest, hard-working Romans live under the oppression of Carthage? Are we to let Roman men toil as slaves in the mines of Corsica? Are we to let Roman matrons satisfy the perverse hungers of Punic men? Are we to let Roman children be sacrificed to the false Carthaginian gods? Are we to let these thousands of voices, voices that cry out to us, voices that cry out to their families still here in Rome, voices that sound as desperate as a woman who has lost her family, as scared as a child facing the endless night, to simply die out? Will we let these men, women, and children face the abuse that they will inevitably experience at the hands of Carthage?

We strike at Carthage now, and remove their head of state. But we will not remove their yokes of oppression and humiliation upon the thousands still trapped on the Punic Isles. We will not remove their vengeful generals who gather at Africa. We strike at Carthage now, and we draw away a large proportion of our troops at home while the Punic Isles are still under Punic arms. They will no doubtedly strike at us, the same Punic general who took those islands from us may lead an invasion force against us while our consul is away in Africa.

We cannot be drawn by the carrot so recklessly. We must be wary of our surroundings and take note of where the wolf has hidden. We must remove Carthaginian influence from the Punic Isles, take back the lands that our forefathers won with their blood, the lands that thousands of Roman soldiers defended with their blood, and now, thousands more Roman citizens still trapped there are defending with their honor, dignity, and life.

We cannot abandon those citizens, we must take back those islands if we are to have an overall stable base of operations against Carthage, a place alongside Sicily where we can launch invasion after invasion until those proud Elissan towers of Carthage crumble to the ground and our army's boots trample over their city.

Senators, the voices of those on the Punic Isle call for us to save them, and it's time we answered that call. Carthage will burn, but not until our people are safe!

Crusades
    Historical fiction - Fifty Tales from Rome

Can YOU dance like the Cookie Man?
    Improbe amor quid non mortalia pectora cogis? - The Aeneid
    I run an Asteroid mining website. Visit it before James Cameron takes it from me.

Caesar stands and addresses the Senate.

"While I wholeheartedly agree with you I must insist that we concentrate on the city of Carthage. If we cut off the Carthaginians main area of production they will be crippled not to mention their navy base will be destroyed. But if it is this august bodie's will I will take both. If it is the Senate's will."

Indeed, sir it is unwise to go straight for such a protected city while blind to all surrounding you. My proposal is to eventually have all of Carthage's lands absorbed into our Empire. The Islands of Corsica, Sardinia, and Malta are only the beginning. We must start somewhere and the islands are indeed a good start, but that is all they are.

If we only take the islands from them, Carthage shall come back at us at a later date. The second encounter shall not go nearly so well as they shall be better prepared to fight us in the field and upon the seas.

The consolidation of the isles will not take long and we must be swift in our conquest of the Carthaginian hordes. Should we take the Punic isles, we should immediately move upon Carthage itself. The area is easily defensible and a short sail away from our province capital of Panormous. Our Legions shall not only bring our people back to the breast of Rome, but also take vengeance for the wrongs thay have suffered.

We shall be no hare, but an eagle. We shall strike them with such power and righteous fury that they shall succumb to our will. Rome shall take the day and annihilate the Carthaginian threat through strength of arms and our Consul Caesar is the man to lead us to victory.

EDIT: OOC: this is directed at chaplain118's comment, not RVFVS'

Perhaps not both. We can only concentrate on one at this point. Perhaps Marcellus can attack the the Punic Isle in the first half of this year, as he is the senior consul. After he has retaken the Punic Isles, Caesar can be sent to Carthage.
    Last edited by chaplain118; June 29, 2009 at 11:02 PM.

Crusades

I run an Asteroid mining website. Visit it before James Cameron takes it from me.

Winter's Avatar Civitate

I will not support this motion. The Consul is not dictator, and he does not need to have full control over two of our important southern cities. Rome's allies will not stand for such blatant disrespect of their pact of alliance. Caesar can do what all Roman generals have done for hundreds of years; he may have imperium over his legions and conquered territories and NO MORE. Should this motion go to vote I shall certainly veto it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Jeb View Post
    Hah, you're always so helpful to threads Winter. No wonder you got citizen!

Very well. I shall remove the first portion of my proposal and make it thus.

Senatus Consultum: Bello Punico

I. That Lucius Julius Caesar be granted Imperium over the legions in the cities of Croton and Tarentum.

II. That Lucius Julius Caesar be given full Imperium over Africa so that he may destroy Carthage.

Winter's Avatar Civitate

I can support this.

Perhaps the second set of guidelines should limit it to the areas directly surrounding Carthage

Crusades

I understand your reluctance, but should we catch the Carthaginians flat-footed we may be able to seize a sizable portion of their lands covering more than the areas surrounding Carthage.

We won't be able to catch them flat-footed. The second we siege Carthage, armies will start marching from nearby cities until our legions there are surrounded.

Crusades

Winter's Avatar Civitate

I agree. This invasion is doomed to failure while Carthage holds such vast tracts of land. We must cut them off from their Iberian silver minds, and more pressing, from their naval bases on Corsica and Sardinia.

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

"May I propose that I go and attend to that task. If my colleague Caesar takes his legions south towards Carthage, besieges that, then yes, they will still have other armies to draw on, to defend their home city, and perhaps even to march on Rome. But if I were to take the Genoan legion, reinforced by troops from Transalpine Gaul and Croton, take out the Punic Isles, and perhaps threaten Iberia, then they would be forced to split their forces. They would not leave their Iberian lands to be plucked from their hands without a fight. A two fronted diversion would surely be a solution.

True, this also results in a split in our forces, but I am prepared to lead that one legion, and that one legion only, to whatever it can achieve. I will ask for no more."

"I agree with Consul Marcellus."

OOC: Didnt see Xavs comment....