Thread: Warcraft: Total War (WTW) Original Thread

Mr_Nygren's Avatar Berserkir

Default Re: Warcraft: Total War (WTW) [Alpha 1 Released]

Quote Originally Posted by Tureuki View Post
    Would it be possible to replace vanilla map textures with something better from other mods? Like more vivid green tones etc. I think that might significiantly improve the campaign map but of course the map is already beautiful as it is.
    I think the strat-map is fine as it is, but Bantu has voiced similar opinions on the matter - we are lacking a mapper that could improve it though. I don't think it's much needed.

About the terrain of the battle-maps - that is another issue entirely, and i do agree it could be made custom like in Hyrule. But we still are lacking someone who could change the battle-map terrain textures to look more like as in Warcraft.

Btw everyone, i did get WarcraftHero's files recently and he has fixed certain issues in the mod (some of which he did fix on his own without me even asking about those) as well as sent me his work on hero abilities and ancillaries.

Further more Bantu has remade the population growth of settlements slightly, as they took forever to upgrade - it will be faster now. And he has changed some unit stats in the EDU as well.

Lastly user "TheBlueYowie" over at MODDB did send me new portraits for the Light religion (Humans) for all categories (generals, priests, rogues, civilians and princesses - as well as generals for the Sun religion (High/Blood Elves).

Oh, and user at moddb Joe021194 sent his traits as well, and they work without problems according to him and WarcraftHero - this most likely due to him removing everything and adding them in from scratch. He basically removed all the triggers and traits pointing to the old vanilla religions etc.
    Last edited by Mr_Nygren; May 05, 2018 at 07:54 AM.
    Be your friend's, true friend. Return gift for gift. Repay laughter, with laughter again
    but betrayal with treachery.

- The Havamal

Centenarius

Awesome! Can you please send to me these portraits?. I have seen your post in the BOTET thread about the issue with the dwarven karaks (that strange black terrain). I'll try to investigate about this in the following days
    Temporarily retired from modding.

Bantu Chieftain's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by Warcrafthero View Post
    Awesome! Can you please send to me these portraits?. I have seen your post in the BOTET thread about the issue with the dwarven karaks (that strange black terrain). I'll try to investigate about this in the following days
    It's most likely the terrain height under the city. Must be higher.
    I have made further modification in the EDU and desc_strat to balance stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Warcrafthero View Post
    Sure - i'll send them to you. He said the portraits need the background changed like the other pics in the mod, but that's no problem i think.

About the Dwarven Karaks, as Bantu wrote - most likely they need to be placed on hills/mountains and have the height be a higher value. Seems too bothersome to attempt for a non-mapper like me. That's why they were cut.
    Be your friend's, true friend. Return gift for gift. Repay laughter, with laughter again

- The Havamal

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Nygren View Post
    I think the strat-map is fine as it is, but Bantu has voiced similar opinions on the matter - we are lacking a mapper that could improve it though. I don't think it's much needed.

About the terrain of the battle-maps - that is another issue entirely, and i do agree it could be made custom like in Hyrule. But we still are lacking someone who could change the battle-map terrain textures to look more like as in Warcraft.

Btw everyone, i did get WarcraftHero's files recently and he has fixed certain issues in the mod (some of which he did fix on his own without me even asking about those) as well as sent me his work on hero abilities and ancillaries.

Further more Bantu has remade the population growth of settlements slightly, as they took forever to upgrade - it will be faster now. And he has changed some unit stats in the EDU as well.

Lastly user "TheBlueYowie" over at MODDB did send me new portraits for the Light religion (Humans) for all categories (generals, priests, rogues, civilians and princesses - as well as generals for the Sun religion (High/Blood Elves).

Oh, and user at moddb Joe021194 sent his traits as well, and they work without problems according to him and WarcraftHero - this most likely due to him removing everything and adding them in from scratch. He basically removed all the triggers and traits pointing to the old vanilla religions etc.
    Amazing!
    I really like how the community is helping the mod to grow even further.

I think some of those portraits are already in the mod still it's nice to have people contributing like this. I just saw an offer from another user about translating the mod into Spanish.

Mr_Nygren can you send me the traits as well?

And btw, should I send you my changes (resources and unit descriptions and images) before each version starts to become too different?

Quote Originally Posted by Sulfurion Blackfyre View Post
    I think some of those portraits are already in the mod still it's nice to have people contributing like this. I just saw an offer from another user about translating the mod into Spanish.

Mr_Nygren can you send me the traits as well?

And btw, should I send you my changes (resources and unit descriptions and images) before each version starts to become too different?
    Yes, they are - but not all of them. I think with these more of those ugly vanilla and/or WoW ones will be replaced or less common. Also, the captains lack portraits and those are just using a single one per faction.

Yes, i could send you the traits.

Yeah, send me everything so that i can implement all the fixes and gameplay changes asap. The other stuff with portraits aren't needed in a hurry but feel free to send that as well. I want to change stuff for the Naga and Legion, as they still may have too many high-poly units for them to work well in the mod.

I managed to fight a battle against a full Naga stack plus a smaller stack by keeping the camera zoomed out and far behind the lines - and puting the Theramore army on AI control. However, moving the camera too close or zooming in resulted in a CTD. - In custom battles they worked fine VS the Night Elves with two full stacks using all types of units.

I do need to find the proper amount of numbers so it won't crash when using more than two full armies. Factions like the Humans, Horde/Dark Horde/ Scourge and Dwarves work well.

Seems to be a Naga/Legion issue. - Dark Irons lag on older computers, but do not CTD.

Btw - SurrealBeliefs has released his first episode, playing as the Scourge (instead of the Burning Legion due to them crashing too often, Scourge was second place in the voting poll) and fighting Lordaeron in the first ep.

Scourge has three different scripts available, unlike any other faction - the Paladin Arthas script, the Blood Elven spawning script and the Forsaken spawning script. Could be an interesting campaign.

Too bad the population growth is far too slow so will take forever to upgrade settlements, unlike before where it went too fast. Bantu has fixed it but it's not in his version.

Last edited by Mr_Nygren; May 05, 2018 at 03:30 PM.

- The Havamal

It wasnt really that slow I think? I mean it looked reasonable to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tureuki View Post
    It wasnt really that slow I think? I mean it looked reasonable to me.
    Playing as Theramore and haven't been able to upgrade to the fifth tier by turn 64.

- Now, the fifth tier maybe should be hard to reach, but the Elven Rangers and Dwarven Riflemen need to be available much sooner. They aren't as strong as the giants and should not be as rare as they are. I think they should be Theramore-regionals though.

Ships are probably going between Menethil Harbor and Theramore arriwing with new Dwarves and Elves.

- The Havamal

Default Re: Warcraft: Total War (WTW) Original Thread

Yeeey congrats on the sub forum. Totally deserved it.

Yes, it seems it has been accomplished at last

Congrats guys !

Quote Originally Posted by TheHappyCrusader View Post

Warcraft:Total War!
    Check out our Moddb page here!

Warcraft: Total War: Official Beta 1.0 Release!

Features the Azeroth campaign map with 22 factions (Lordaeron, Stormwind, Stromgarde, Scarlet Crusade, Quel'Thalas, Sin'Dorei (emergant), The Scourge, The Forsaken (emergant), The Horde, The Dark Horde, Theramore, Night Elves, The Naga, Burning Legion, Ahn'Qiraj, Azjol'Nerub, The Farraki, The Gurubashi, The Amani and the Drakkari) using completely new custom models.

The 4gb patch found in the Warhammer: BotET-mod - it's required for the Warcraft beta to work i've been told. I have decided to upload it here so people won't have to download the entire BotET (Beginning of the End Times) submod for Call of Warhammer.
    Patch your kingdoms.exe, and only do it once. It will make all heavy mods work and be more stable. Without the patch you may experience alot of crashes.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/warcraft-t...raft-total-war

Warcraft: Total War: Official PUBLIC BETA V 1.0! Download-link:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/warcraft-t...blic-beta-v-10

Requirements:
    - a clean installation of Medieval 2 Total War patched to 1.3
    - a clean installation of the Kingdoms expansion patched to 1.5

Instructions:
    1. Download and unrar
    2. Place the WTW folder in Medieval 2 Total War\mods
    3. Run the .bat
    4. Enjoy!

To install the mod using the CD-version, move the mod-folder named "WTW" inside of your Medieval II Total War/mods-folder - after first using the latest version of winRAR to extract the folder - by moving it out manually by draging the folder with your mouse. And start the mod by clicking the .bat-file - for Steam use the ordinary method. Be advised that you must move the entire SEGA game folder out of program files to prevent issues on new computers, also you'd have to deactivate the UAC (User Account Control) as it interfere with mods making them not work. - Read more about disabling the UAC at TWC (Total War Center) or just shut it down totally).

Also, you'd need to download the 4gb patch i've uploaded since before and patch the Kingdoms.exe with it in order for the mod to work, or you'll face crashes a lot and might not even be able to start the mod - using Steam you should patch Medieval2.exe instead i've heard.

Also, download the MedievalII.Preference-file that i did upload a few days ago & place in main Medieval II Total War folder - replacing the old file there. This will enable you to play defensive battles in hotseat, as well as prevent a bug causing CTD when clicking buildings on the campaign - it will also make FMV's work.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/warcraft-t...or-new-version

WARNING: DO NOT PLAY THIS MOD WITH ADVISOR ON, NEVER CLICK ADVISOR - mod will CTD!

For Steam watch this video:

Warcraft: Total War is based in the Warcraft universe by Blizzard Entertainment. The setting for the mod is based around the Warcraft III Reign of Chaos - Warcraft III Frozen Throne, and will contain a large map containing dozens of iconic provinces, along with factions very distinct from each other such as the Scourge, the Horde, the Burning Legion, as well as many units and heroes essential to any Warcraft experience.

With the mod undergoing a revival, we figured it is time for a list of updated features, to better clear some confusion which might spring up regarding the past and present versions of WTW.

First and foremost, the mod IS a continuation of the original project started by TheHappyCrusader, which is why we are still using this Moddb page. However, the revival was possible due to an almost entirely new set of people, and they have their own unique twists and changes to the original vision intended for the mod. Therefore it is safe to say that this is a NEW mod indeed. In essence using the old one merely as a base from which to expand, re-utilizing whatever assets and ideas we could salvage.

However the goal remains the same: to bring the Warcraft 3 era to the Medieval 2: Total War engine.

FACTIONS

The Kingdom of Lordaeron

The Kingdom of Stormwind

The Kingdom of Stromgarde

Theramore

The Scarlet Crusade

The Horde

The Dark Horde

The High Elves

The Night Elves

The Naga

Khaz Modan

The Dark Iron Clan

The Kingdom of Azjol-Nerub

The Scourge

The Drakkari Tribe

The Amani Tribe

The Gurubashi Tribe

The Farraki Tribe

The Burning Legion

Ahn'Qiraj

The following factions are emergent on the campaign map
    (although still playable in custom battles):

The Forsaken

The Blood Elves

Q: Will magic be included?
    A: Yes, magic is already included. The units who use magic mostly resembles the byzantine flamethrowers from the Kingdoms campaign, with longer range. In essence small units which are vulnerable in melee and can be easily destroyed, but when properly used, can be devastating to the enemy. However they will be priced accordingly and have a rarity to match their power.

Q: When will the mod be released?
    A: The public BETA is now officially released at MODDB - any furthre patches or updates will be available as soon as they have been finished. We plan on updates this summer of 2018, and also in the winter during decembre.

Q: Why are there factions present before their time (such as the Naga) or why does the Horde and Theramore start in Kalimdor if Lordaeron is still in the first stages of fighting the Scourge?
    A: This is due to the ever delicate reason of trying to balance lore with gameplay. Without the Horde and Theramore, for instance, Kalimdor would be quite empty. Then, there are several races we really wanted to be playable, such as the Naga or the Nerubians. Also, a lot of the fun in Total War games is the fact that you can take a faction and lead them into a completely different historical route. The same can be said here at WTW. This is the reason why Lordaeron starts almost fully intact, or why the Nerubians are still present. Lordaeron is set to fall to the Scourge, yes, but what if the player can avoid that? What if the Nerubians held out in their underground kingdom and actually managed to turn back the tide? What if the Naga rose up to Illidan's call much earlier than in the Frozen Throne?

Q: Will there be new religions in the mod?
    A: Yes, currently we have reached the game limit of 10 new religions, which are divided between: The Holy Light (humans), Adoration of the Sun (elves), Worship of Elune (night elves), Shamanism (orcs), Necromancy (undead), Fel Magic (legion), Worship of Azshara (naga), Troll Gods (trolls), Worship of the Titans (dwarves) and the Old Gods (nerubians and heretics). The purpose of religions is also because we are going to use them to give each race different character portraits (otherwise we would have to give them portraits based on culture, which only has a limit of 7... some races would have to share portraits which would just be very strange). This is the reason why the High Elves for example 'worship' the Sun instead of the Light, so that they can have unique elven portraits. Again, it's a compromise between the lore and what the game allows.

Q: Will there be heroes and unique generals?
    A: Yes, a lot of heroes will have custom battle models, such as Jaina, Thrall, Grom Hellscream, Arthas, etc. Wether they will have unique abilities or not remains to be decided. In addition, almost every starting character (and agent) in the campaign map is based on actual characters from the lore, in addition to some easter eggs. Whoever recognizes one of the custom Stormwind generals gets a virtual cookie from me.

Q: What about the other human kingdoms such as Dalaran or Gilneas? And where are the Trolls and the Tauren in the Horde?
    A: The minor human kingdoms are present in the mod. More specifically, they have re-skinned versions of some of the playable human nations, and these units can be recruited in specific AOR zones (for example Dalaran units in Dalaran, Gilnean units in Gilneas, etc) by whatever human faction controls them. It is perfectly possible then, to be playing as Lordaeron and, if you control Dalaran, field a full stack of Dalaran troops led by none other than Antonidas himself. They are also AI independent minor factions before any of the playable factions do in fact conquer them - in the case of Gilneas and Alterac. A similar thing was applied to the Horde's "minor" races, such as the Trolls and the Tauren. Currently, they are recruitable in what are considered to be their home regions, for example the Trolls are recruited in Sen'jin and the Echo Isles, and the Tauren in the regions associated to them in World of Warcraft, such as Mulgore, Taurajo, Thousand Needles, etc. However you are not limited to those regions, for there are specific buildings that you can build, which will be costly and time consuming, but will essentially serve as 'colonies' of those races. This will serve nicely as an immersion feature, as you can decide where in your Horde empire those races will inhabit, and therefore, be recruitable. In addition, the Scourge also has a similar system with the Vrykul. Since they are not their own faction, Vrykul units can be recruited by the Scourge in the Ymirheim, Jotunheim regions and also in places like Utgard Keep and the new Vrykul regions, Dark Horde has a similar system with their Dragons, Drakes, Trolls and Ogres.

Q: Will Outland, Pandaria or any other such places have a presence in the mod?
    A: No, those regions are not among our present plans unfortunately. It's not that we would not want to add them, but there is a limit to what can be added to a Medieval 2 mod. However certain references are made, for example the Burning Legion has Fel Orcs in their roster. You can imagine them as coming from Outland for some reason, again as a sort of "what if" scenario.
    I think this is all for now, if you have any further questions be sure to ask them in the comment section and we will try our best to answer them for you.

For more media, please visit our Moddb page.

Menu and Loading Screens: (By: Sulfurion Blackfyre/Sulphuristical)

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Faction symbols: (By: Sulfurion Blackfyre/Sulphuristical)

Campaign Map: (By: TheHappyCrusader) - (PS: 47 additional regions added by Mr_Nygren.)

Demo Units: (By: Eoghan Wolfkin) - (PS: Base Human models by Bantu Chieftain, implementation by Mr_Nygren on half of the units).

Beta Units: (By: Bantu Chieftain) - (PS: Many models downloaded from Warcraft3Underground and created there by various people, riged by Bantu, implementation by Mr_Nygren on all the units + new animations).

==Mod Team==
    We are currently looking for: a cinimatic editor, a mapper and a truck load of modelers and skinners!

Current Team (2017-2018+):
    Mr_Nygren - Current Mod Leader, unit balancer, implementor and coder.
    Bantu Chieftain - 3D modeller, Texturer.
    Sulfurion - 2D artist, text editor.
    WarcraftHero - Retexturer, coder/scripter, unit portraits creator.
    TheHappyCrusader - Map Creator/Old Mod Leader (2009-2012).
    Eoghan Wolfkin - Unit Modeller/Texturer (2015-2017).

Old Team (2009 to 2012 - Result: Map-only Alpha):

-TheHappyCrusader= Mod Leader, mapper, unit balancer and text editor
    -Sulphuristical= PR manager, Co-leader, Text Editor, 2D art
    -MemduhG= Texturer
    -Grimbold= 2D artist
    -TheMalevolentKing= Texturer and 3D modeler
    -xxxMoRaVexxx= Texturer and 3D modeler
    -Huene= 3D modeler
    -Valkar= 3D modeler
    -Scout of Imladris= Scripter

-Varian (MommaG)= Co Founder, 3D modeler, audio editor, some 2D art and text editor (inactive)
    -Lu Bu(Karlo'St)= 3D Modeller and skinner (inactive)

-Blackomur89= 2D art RIP
    Warcraft Total War is dedicated to Blackomur89, February 11, 1989 - March 28, 2010

Noted Contributors:
    Leroux3369 - faction and unit descriptions

Lets get this mod off the ground!
    First post updated.

- The Havamal

I think there should be an actual stickied thread with just the download link and those features. Pretty much like the first post. I'd do it, but I'm currently working on the mod and don't have time to fiddle around with the formatting and all that.

Btw I think I'm more than just a "2D artist and text editor", pretty sure I also retextured and coded stuff as well as messing with all sorts of general modding stuff

-----

Some of those old members of the old mod never actually did anything at all if I recall correctly, they just offered their services and then were added to the team more out of wishful thinking than actual contributing anything. It was pretty much HappyC, Me, Varian, MemduhG, Grimbold (who if I remember was the one who actually made the menu, splash screen and logo) and Moravex (old human units) as well as TheMalevolentKing who did some orc units. Everyone else on that list didn't really do anything, and even some of the others did very little, as most of the old text work was done by me which has already been replaced anyway for the most part.

Also, remove that nonsense about "result: map only alpha" it makes it sound like you're being petty again comparing mods. Not to forget correcting all those grammar issues.

If you want, create the thread and I'll edit it (if I have permissions) to be more presentable, correcting grammar, etc.

I think there should be an actual stickied thread with just the download link and those features. Pretty much like the first post. I'd do it, but I'm currently working on the mod and don't have time to fiddle around with the formatting and all that.

Btw I think I'm more than just a "2D artist and text editor", pretty sure I also retextured and coded stuff as well as messing with all sorts of general modding stuff

-----

Some of those old members of the old mod never actually did anything at all if I recall correctly, they just offered their services and then were added to the team more out of wishful thinking than actual contributing anything. It was pretty much HappyC, Me, Varian, MemduhG, Grimbold (who if I remember was the one who actually made the menu, splash screen and logo) and Moravex (old human units) as well as TheMalevolentKing who did some orc units. Everyone else on that list didn't really do anything, and even some of the others did very little, as most of the old text work was done by me which has already been replaced anyway for the most part.

Also, remove that nonsense about "result: map only alpha" it makes it sound like you're being petty again comparing mods. Not to forget correcting all those grammar issues.

If you want, create the thread and I'll edit it (if I have permissions) to be more presentable, correcting grammar, etc.
    Hey man, i mostly copied the text about what we have done from the russian site, as i were too lazy to re-do everything. Therefore some of the text is not 100% accurate, as some stuff we have done may not be mentioned - i also created lots of portraits. But that is an easy edit and as far as i know - you, THC and me are Local Moderators.

Now, i mentioned me as the current team leader, THC as the old leader (2009-2012) and you as his co-leader during those years. That is why we three became Local Moderators. I also did mention Eoghan, WarcraftHero and Bantu Chieftain as main members of the mod, and hoped they'd also become Local Moderators - but the limit is three per forum. Gig said it is possible to replace one of the current ones later if need be. THC isn't really active so he could possibly be replaced by Bantu or WarcraftHero if need be.

Yeah, you did reskins and coding - i also did lots of text editing, portraits etc - we could add that. You could add stuff and edit stuff as well.

I see - then let's remove the old team members that didn't contribute anything. The reason i mentioned "Result: Map-Only Alpha" is to make it not seem like the old team did most of it - when most of the work was actually done 2015 to 2018. It's to avoid people thinking the old team did what the recent team has actually done. Basically the old map, and the menu were done by the old team - but the menu has basically been replaced so it's basically only the map and some descriptions made by your old team.

Credits are important, so people don't think we in the new team did the minor part.

Yeah- feel free to correct grammar or update the text from MODDB so it fits this forum.

I have also to update the mod now with everything sent to me by Bantu, WarcraftHero and those MODDB users. I'll send you the traits as well.

- The Havamal

Bantu Chieftain's Avatar Biarchus

We need more projectiles implemented. Who is up for the task ?

Hello guys!

I am going to be without the computer for most of this week (the gaming computer that is) as it is going to be fixed in a number of ways. I have just updated the mod with Bantu's EDB, EDU and descr_strat, WarcraftHero's Hero Abilities, Ancillaries (using the pics from BlueEyedYowie), and traits (including the ones from Joe021194) - plus any other files such as the new Human/Elven portraits from BlueEyedYowie and the fixes in the campaign by WarcraftHero.

The only files left untouched are the Zerg93 new cursors and sound. I am going to try and implement the new cursors when i get the computer back - as it's a cool feature. The sound will have to wait i'd guess.

If Sulfurion has anything to send me before an hour is up i could add that as well - otherwise i will wait with adding his material until late this week when i get my computer back. Also, i am going to do some fixing myself as well - such as lowering the numbers of certain Naga and Legion units in order to make them crash less often, add Jubei'thos to the Legion and give the Legion Alterac from the start to help the Scourge, move Mal'Ganis and army to Alterac region - and then maybe move Elven Rangers and Dwarven Riflemen down the recruitment ladder plus make them Theramore regionals for Theramore.
    Last edited by Mr_Nygren; May 07, 2018 at 04:30 AM.

- The Havamal

Centenarius

Quote Originally Posted by Bantu Chieftain View Post
    We need more projectiles implemented. Who is up for the task ?
    I have added almost all the projectiles from COW and BOTET mods, do you need a specific projectile for some units?.
    Temporarily retired from modding.

Don't add Alterac and Jubei'Thos to the Legion, it makes no damn sense. People are already complaining about the factions being separated enough.

Besides, it isn't even accurate, those orcs in Lordaeron were cut off from the Legion in the first place.

Don't add Alterac and Jubei'Thos to the Legion, it makes no damn sense. People are already complaining about the factions being separated enough.

Besides, it isn't even accurate, those orcs in Lordaeron were cut off from the Legion in the first place.
    Someone wrote they were serving the Legion and suggested this change - also, Scourge is in need of an ally?

Mal'Ganis is supposed to be there, he was chased by Arthas from there to Northrend. Legion would need a region there otherwise their armies won't do anything.

- The Havamal