Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Warcraft Discussion Thread

Default Warcraft Discussion Thread

Post here anything relating to Warcraft in general, be it the old RTS games, WoW, the books, whatever, anything that is not related to the mod itself

Default Re: Warcraft Discussion Thread

Warcraft 2 needs more love .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmeJPB9wxZo

...and a remaster too .

Glad I'm not the only one who liked Warcraft 2. I actually started playing with Warcraft 1 but the second one holds a special place. For a long time that was for me how Warcraft should always have been, grim and dark with a simple fantasy story while not taking itself seriously at all. But I also loved Warcraft 3.

WoW took a while to get used to but now I like it as well, even some of the more extreme stuff like the Draenei spaceships and so on.

And yeah it definitely needs a remaster

Definietly loved it. Played it first on playstation I think. Still have it on my pc. Dun dudu dun dudu dun duuu.

Vladyvid's Avatar Wizard of Turmish

Hey guys just dropping by to say congratz on having this hosted forum open.

I havent yet had a chance to give your mod a go as im pretty busy with a lot of other stuff, and to be honest im rather afraid to try it now cause im afraid i will quickly become addicted - at least for a while - and i simply cannot afford that right now hehe. Still, will have to try this mod rather sooner than later, cause the urge is growing stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladyvid View Post

I havent yet had a chance to give your mod a go as im pretty busy with a lot of other stuff, and to be honest im rather afraid to try it now cause im afraid i will quickly become addicted - at least for a while - and i simply cannot afford that right now hehe. Still, will have to try this mod rather sooner than later, cause the urge is growing stronger.
    Well waiting for an updated version of the mod can't hurt,no?
    By the way i wish you good luck with Faerun, it looks very promising .

Mr_Nygren's Avatar Berserkir

Quote Originally Posted by Vladyvid View Post

I do think posts regarding the mod itself are better posted in the Main thread.

Yeah, you could easily get addicted lol.

Maybe it's better to wait as traits, ancillaries, Hero abilities, fixes, Burning Legion and Naga fixing plus additional models Will be in an updated version soon.
    Be your friend's, true friend. Return gift for gift. Repay laughter, with laughter again
    but betrayal with treachery.

- The Havamal

What you guys think about the Warcraft movie?
    I must say that aside from a general lack of character development, some meh acting and a bunch of s like Tekken/Guldan (seriuosly: that fight with Durotan miss the Heihachi Mishima theme ), Jesus Medivh, the Blackhand-Lothar mak'gora (...) and the fact that at the end of the movie Stormwind is still unscratched and on top of that the alliance seems already formed (which is wrong since the alliance will raise only after the fall of Stormwind)...i did enjoy the movie nonetheless!
    Whenever i watch the orcs crossing the portal i always get the chills .
    And not just that: the movie have many good scenes and really fun moments in my opinion!
    It hurts to know that probably we are not going to see a sequel anytime soon for the box office flop in US .
    Last edited by Zerg93; May 11, 2018 at 08:04 AM.

The orcs were amazingly well done. The graphics were cool, the magic felt as powerful and dangerous as it should, Gul'dan for example despite the cheesiness felt like an actual threat, although the part where he hulks out and duels was of course silly. Lots of funny moments. Seeing Stormwind and Ironforge and the orcs going through the Portal, such iconic moments and places, that brought me some joy indeed.

But the plot, the story, the human characters... don't even know where to start. From the footmen running *towards* the orcs while shooting handguns as well as firing them in close range (swords and spears anyone?) as well as the orcs being way too overpowered physically in comparison to humans, they felt more like Ogres than Orcs. Human acting was bland, the King of Stormwind was just meh, and Lothar was supposed to be this noble respectable character, instead we got the Ragnar actor acting like, well, Ragnar, all quirky and stuff, instead of a grizzled veteran trying to defend his kingdom. Garona just looked weird, as well as Medivh when he was possessed, they both looked like they stepped out of some 80's B-movie fantasy film. Didn't like the explanation about "the Fel", felt weird, since we all know it to be Demons behind it, and instead they just talked about "the Fel" as if it was a force by its own. Khadgar was okay I guess. Don't even get me started on Dalaran already floating on the air as well as the costumes and effects of the wizards and the elves (asian elves, really? wtf) when they showed up to make the "Alliance", when Stormwind was still standing. As well as the death of the Stormwind King, in the actual lore he is assassinated by Garona and witnessed by Varian, something that later on becomes very important as it contributes to the general human distrust of Orcs, although I think in the movie it was witnessed by Lothar. Still, meh. Oh and the gryphon, I had forgotten, it looked amazing as well.

Overall a poor adaptation of Warcraft, but it was enjoyable, after waiting for like 10 years for a movie we finally got one, still, it could have been much, much better, especially if they expected it to be the first movie and opening way for others. I think it flopped mostly because WoW isn't as popular as it was, as well as them choosing to do the story of the First War. Warcraft 1 having probably been the least played game in the whole franchise and its story being mostly known as background lore, most people were probably either "meh" or were confused ("Where's the Lich King, and trolls and tauren?!?").

I took my girlfriend at the time to watch it, and she enjoyed it, even though she knew little of the story, only what she had learned through playing Hearthstone and some WoW, so I guess for most people it was still enjoyable even if they weren't familiar with anything. But like I said the movie was ultimately forgettable. I don't know if any of you have seen it but it reminds me of the Eragon movie, in the sense that it basically killed any possible sequels.

Quote Originally Posted by Zerg93 View Post
    What you guys think about the Warcraft movie?
    I must say that aside from a general lack of character development, some meh acting and a bunch of s like Tekken/Guldan (seriuosly: that fight with Durotan miss the Heihachi Mishima theme ), Jesus Medivh, the Blackhand-Lothar mak'gora (...) and the fact that at the end of the movie Stormwind is still unscratched and on top of that the alliance seems already formed (which is wrong since the alliance will raise only after the fall of Stormwind)...i did enjoy the movie nonetheless!
    Whenever i watch the orcs crossing the portal i always get the chills .
    And not just that: the movie have many good scenes and really fun moments in my opinion!
    It hurts to know that probably we are not going to see a sequel anytime soon for the box office flop in US .
    I actually thought it was the best movie in years, much like LotR and i thought it wasn't as good as that - but i actually thought it looked way better than the Hobbit. I really disliked the CGI in the Hobbit, but thought the Orcs in Warcraft looked convincing and didn't look like game-characters (unlike the stuff in the Hobbit) which was very good. All in all the movie was a blast in the cinema, and i was frankly surprised it didn't be a success - however, i didn't know a lot of Warcraft 1 lore and was annoyed by some political correctness in the movie.

I think George Lucas was right in keeping the political agendas out of Star Wars, and the same should be done in any other fantasy/sci-fi movie in my opinion - also, i do agree with Sulfurion that they could have had more swords/spears and less guns. But there are guns in WoW so it isn't against lore. It is probably against WC1 timeline - but i think the movie had the WC1 setting but the style of WoW rather than WC1 in how the units and locations were portrayed.

Now - i know a lot more about the lore now. And their one mistake was not to try and follow the lore to the letter. LotR did - and look what legends those movies are. - When you scrap the lore and add in political agendas - everything becomes less good, or not good at all.

But i have to say it was the best movie that year for me.

They should have made Warcraft 3 a movie instead though.

Last edited by Mr_Nygren; May 11, 2018 at 09:17 AM.
    Be your friend's, true friend. Return gift for gift. Repay laughter, with laughter again

- The Havamal

Lothar was supposed to be this noble respectable character, instead we got the Ragnar actor acting like, well, Ragnar, all quirky and stuff, instead of a grizzled veteran trying to defend his kingdom.
    Yes i agree, i really love Ragnar and Vikings but Travis Fimmel was definitely NOT suited for the part of Lothar.

Don't even get me started on Dalaran already floating on the air as well as the costumes and effects of the wizards and the elves (asian elves, really? wtf)
    I always wondered about who the hell even thought that adding Asian elves could be considered a good idea by any means .

i actually thought it looked way better than the Hobbit. I really disliked the CGI in the Hobbit, but thought the Orcs in Warcraft looked convincing and didn't look like game-characters (unlike the stuff in the Hobbit) which was very good.
    Totally agree on that.I quite enjoyed the first two hobbit but the third one was just a meh CGI-fest.

I don't know if any of you have seen it but it reminds me of the Eragon movie, in the sense that it basically killed any possible sequels.
    ...I'll let speak my inner W40k fan about what i actually think of that movie.

*THE ERAGON MOVIE IS HERESY!*
    Last edited by Zerg93; May 11, 2018 at 10:06 AM.

Totally agree on that.I quite enjoyed the first two hobbit but the third one was just a meh CGI-fest.

...I'll let speak my inner W40k fan about what i actually think of that movie.

*THE ERAGON MOVIE IS HERESY!*
    I thought the Hobbit was boring and too long - the only good part being the music, scenes with old characters and especially the Gollum part. I have never seen it more than once.

The Desolation of Smaug was awesome though - i saw it twice in cinema and also once on blue ray. While certain scenes weren't as cool on a TV - the movie as a whole was still pretty exciting.

The War of the Five Armies were better than the first movie i think, because i like action over boring talk - but it was let down by CGI dwarves and CGI Elves - at least Gondor and Rohan were real human actors, as were in-fact Mordor and Isengard (not trolls of course, but the orcs) so i do think it was a big mistake to not use more real humans for the Dwarven, Goblin/Orc and Elven armies. In my opinion they should have only used CGI to enhance the soldiers - or where they needed to. Also, i think the Hobbit movies should have been serious like the LotR ones - i didn't want a more comedic/childish movie.

All in all all three sucked compared to the old trilogy - but the Desolation of Smaug was above the others.

As for Eragon i only saw it once, and i got really annoyed that they copied the scene from "The two Towers" where Saruman sends the Uruk'Hai to war. - It felt unoriginal in a very bad way.
    Last edited by Mr_Nygren; May 11, 2018 at 10:28 AM.

- The Havamal

Centenarius

I somewhat enojoyed the movie (italian, ble ray) overall the atmosphere was great but still too much CGI for some characters. I'll rewatch it in english one day. Probably it wasn't a success because the wc1 story is the least known as many people know Warcraft because of the WoW game. All i know from the first game is from wowpedia articles and some gameplays i have watched; i would gladly play a port for modern systems, maybe with updated 2d art and gameplay commands.
    Temporarily retired from modding.

Guys i'm not a big expert of the troll lore and so i was wondering...was the main difference between Green and Azure trolls?

Are they mixed or are there full Green or Azure tribes?
    I think that frost trolls have an Azure skin because of their environment but i'm confused since there are also Azure/blue trolls that currently live outside of Northrend.

Quote Originally Posted by Warcrafthero View Post
    I somewhat enojoyed the movie (italian, ble ray) overall the atmosphere was great but still too much CGI for some characters. I'll rewatch it in english one day. Probably it wasn't a success because the wc1 story is the least known as many people know Warcraft because of the WoW game. All i know from the first game is from wowpedia articles and some gameplays i have watched; i would gladly play a port for modern systems, maybe with updated 2d art and gameplay commands.
    Even from playing the game you wouldn't get much out of it, because so much stuff has been retconned or changed. Same with Warcraft 2. But playing the games does give you an overall sense of the scale of the wars and so on, because many of the missions are still canon, even though they weren't referred for example in the Chronicles books (they did specifically state that although the book only mentioned the major battles and characters, that the rest from the games still happened).

@Zerg93

There are four different main tribes of trolls, and each represent one of the main sub-species. You have the Drakkari (Ice Trolls) which are blue, they're probably the azure ones you mentioned, and live in Northrend, and usually have white or blue hair.

Then you have the Gurubashi (Jungle Trolls) which is what is making you confused, as they are also blueish, but it's a more cyan shade of blue, and they usually have red/magenta hair. They may look similar at first glance but are actually quite different.

The other two are the Amani (Forest Trolls) and Farraki (Sand Trolls) which are green and sand colored respectively

--

There are also the Zandalari trolls which are different but they are not present in the mod, their units use the Gurubashi skins.

Quote Originally Posted by Warcrafthero View Post
    Probably it wasn't a success because the wc1 story is the least known as many people know Warcraft because of the WoW game. All i know from the first game is from wowpedia articles and some gameplays i have watched; i would gladly play a port for modern systems, maybe with updated 2d art and gameplay commands.
    Yeah, you are probably right about that, everyone know WOW but WC1 is basically almost forgotten by today.
    I would surely play a WC1 remake too!That game would be a lot fun with an improved Gameplay.
    It always amuse me how there is a literal abyss between WC1 and WC2 Gameplays...it seems like you are playing two games from two different ages but then you realize that there was only a year of difference among them (1994-1995).

Quote Originally Posted by Sulfurion Blackfyre View Post
    @Zerg93

There are four different main tribes of trolls, and each represent one of the main sub-species. You have the Drakkari (Ice Trolls) which are blue, they're probably the azure ones you mentioned, and live in Northrend, and usually have white or blue hair.

Then you have the Gurubashi (Jungle Trolls) which is what is making you confused, as they are also blueish, but it's a more cyan shade of blue, and they usually have red/magenta hair. They may look similar at first glance but are actually quite different.

The other two are the Amani (Forest Trolls) and Farraki (Sand Trolls) which are green and sand colored respectively

--

There are also the Zandalari trolls which are different but they are not present in the mod, their units use the Gurubashi skins.
    Mhhh...i see.
    Thank you very much Sulf!

Quote Originally Posted by Tureuki View Post
    Definietly loved it. Played it first on playstation I think. Still have it on my pc. Dun dudu dun dudu dun duuu.
    I always thought that playing RTS games on console was quite weird.
    I still have a Dune 2000 PSX version somewhere in my house but i never managed to fully enjoy the RTS experience with a joystick.
    Nevertheless i think that the PSX was the best console for porting WC2 in that particular era, the Saturn was too much of a hassle to work with.
    I'm still wondering today why the hell WC2 get the PSX and Starcraft ended up with the N64 port tought...it doesn't make sense to me .
    I mean yeah ok the N64 was more powerful than PSX but: why on the earth should you develop a 1998 game port on a 1996 console for releasing it only in 2000?
    In 1998 there was the Dreamcast and in 1999 PS2 was announced and then hit the scenes a year after and they were all superior to N64 by any means.
    Last edited by Zerg93; May 13, 2018 at 12:11 PM.

I always thought that playing RTS games on console was quite weird.
    I still have a Dune 2000 PSX version somewhere in my house but i never managed to fully enjoy the RTS experience with a joystick.
    Nevertheless i think that the PSX was the best console for porting WC2 in that particular era, the Saturn was too much of a hassle to work with.
    I'm still wondering today why the hell WC2 get the PSX and Starcraft ended up with the N64 port tought...it doesn't make sense to me .
    I mean yeah ok the N64 was more powerful than PSX but: why on the earth should you develop a 1998 game port on a 1996 console for releasing it only in 2000?
    In 1998 there was the Dreamcast and in 1999 PS2 hit the scenes and they were all superior to N64 by any means.
    Well, they also released all of the old nes/snes Final fantasy games on PSX - i do believe PSX were the more powerful console.

I used to have N64 and it used old-school pre-cd cartridges - they couldn't fit as much content as a PSX CD - that's why Resident Evil and Final fantasy VII became PSX games, even though they at first were meant for the N64.

- Warcraft 2 were probably just a remaster on the PSX, in the same spirit as FF1-6. PS2 also had PSX funcionality and it were popular in 2000 when it made it's debute.

The Starcraft N64 game was a game of it's own? It's not Starcraft 1 or 2 i recall?

Edit: Starcraft N64 were a lesser version of SC1 where many things had been removed or shortened due to cartridge limits.

The only reason they might have ported it is because of the success of the PC-game - and it was their first console port as far as i understand it.

Yes, seems odd they didn't port it to the PSX but maybe the N64 were more popular when it was starting development.
    Last edited by Mr_Nygren; May 13, 2018 at 10:23 AM.

- The Havamal

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast