Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Historical Accuracy proposals

Zarax's Avatar Triple Chaosmaster

Icon2 Historical Accuracy proposals

First, this is not a feature request thread.

What we are interested in is people with some knowledge in history to point out what they think is inaccurate and provide sources to provide us a base for future corrections.

For example, saying "greeks didn't use armoured cavarly, take them out" alone won't help as by itself would just break the game balance.

An useful proposal would be "greek cities historically couldn't field large quantities of heavy cavalry, limiting them to a nice role. Polybius states that to compensate this deficencies ekdromoi hoplites were deployed in an counter-skirmisher role while iphicratean style units dealt with enemy heavy cavalry on the flanks".

The next steps would be your answers, you have the power to make XC even better!
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

Gen.jamesWolfe's Avatar Vicarius

Default Re: Historical Accuracy proposals

that's nice.

I wish I can help, but all my knowlege is on Arabs from the 3rd-9th centuries AD, and the seven years war and American revolution
    I haz a culler!! (really, who gives a darn? its totally meaningless, and it doesn't really accurately reflect who I am)

I'm sure Luc will stop by often.

Hope so, I'm sure such a thread would give us a few more nice ideas...
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

Icon11 Re: Historical Accuracy proposals

I'm not quite sure if this is entirely what you are asking for however I am going to include it anyway. There is a rather interesting faction which seems to have been left out. The Picts/Caledonians/Scots(whatever you wish to call them) They have quite a story, the Picts were Painted men. Savage, and terrifying, so terrifying that the Romans never managed to conquer them. They had to build a wall to keep the picts from entering the lands that they had conquered in the south of Scotland and in England. What I find quite interesting about the picts, is that numerous times they were slaughtered and their armies depleted. Yet they kept coming back, always attacking, usually they would perform raids and venture south of the wall, attacking caravans and sometimes the warriors within the wall. You may think that they are rebels then, however on numerous occassions, they would combine large armies and fight together. For example, there is quite a famous battle in which the Picts combined their forces and set off one night to attack a fort. I believe that they met the 9th legion on their way and just about destroyed the whole legion. The biggest battle between the Picts/Caledonians was between themselves and the Romans. Which was fought at a place called Mount Graupius, it consisted of around 30,000 Caledonaians and 15,000 Romans. Unfortuantely the Romans being more organised won.
    I just wanted to show that a very large army/faction has been left out. The facts i've displayed could be a bit muddled up, however it is mostly true. I can't know for sure. Anyway here are some websites that have a fair amount of information on this Nation. I doubt that you'll take much interest but I thought it would add some more fun/interest to the game. Instead of having rebels. Thanks

~Omega

EDIT: I misread your first post and never realised you said this isn't a feature request thread. I'm not sure if you could call a faction a feature but if it is then i'm sorry.

http://www.worldtimelines.org.uk/wor...and/2200-800BC
    http://www.sacredconnections.co.uk/h...tlandegypt.htm
    http://hamelia.tripod.com/scothist.html
    http://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK...inScotland.htm
    Last edited by DDomega; September 26, 2009 at 08:24 AM.

I'm afraid we're out of faction slots.
    Nice suggestion though.
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

No bother. Hopefully I at least got the ball rolling.

Kara Kolyo's Avatar Mikhail

Is it possible however to have a british provincial campaign? Some BI units can be used probably, like that dreadfull hounds of Kulan...

under the patronage of Perikles in the house of Wilpuri
    Proud patron of Cymera

It shouldn't be too hard to set-up, all it requires is moving the gauls in the right spot.
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

Sounds good. I have another, much smaller suggestion. It's about the spartan formations. For example the Spartan Royal guard have no formation which can be set to them, so I was thinking perhaps a formation such as the one here could be added?

Spartan Royal Guard should be able to perform shieldwall if you play on BI. I don't think any Greek hoplite ever formed a testudo however.

I'd also like to point out that 300 is not a good place to go for historical accuracy.

Expand your borders, a mod based on XGM 5.

Ah, I don't have BI. Oh well.

Anakarsis's Avatar Biarchus

mmmmmmm and adding more Pictish regional units recruitable by the independent celts and rebels ONLY?

If you can give us enough sources for an unit conception it could be doable...
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

Whoa, hold you horses. I'm a bit confused, what exactly is going on?

Hakomar's Avatar Ordinarius

Whilst on the subject of the hoplites (the 300 formation), I watched a documentary on the battle of Marathon on the History Channel. I know the documentaries on that channel are not totally accurate (i.e The Athenians had a lambda on their shield, and one had the romans wearing lorica segmentata, with 21 foot poles, in 300bc, saying they adopted the hoplite system from the greeks... ugh)

Anyway, as I ramble on, when they were shot by the persian arrows, they kneeled, and held their hoplon shield roughly 45 degrees into the air, which covered most of their body. While not necessary, I thought it would be interesting.

While it would be nice it's nigh impossible to implement such animation unfortunately.
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

Say, Zarax, didn't the Romans rely on people outside of Italy for their cavalry, at least after
    the Polybian and Marian reforms?

I think this could be implemented by an AoR system for the post-Marian Cavalry,
    outside of Praetorian Cavalry.

They should be easily recruitable in places that they historically relied on for cavalry,
    like Gaul, Iberia, Thrace, and Germany, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Legionary View Post
    Say, Zarax, didn't the Romans rely on people outside of Italy for their cavalry, at least after
    the Polybian and Marian reforms?

I think this could be implemented by an AoR system for the post-Marian Cavalry,
    outside of Praetorian Cavalry.

They should be easily recruitable in places that they historically relied on for cavalry,
    like Gaul, Iberia, Thrace, and Germany, for example.
    Actually, we are working on a such a system currently.

Expand your borders, a mod based on XGM 5.

I KNEW IT.

Lol, I thought you guys might think of that eventually.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast