Page 48 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2338394041424344454647484950 LastLast

Thread: STARTPOS.ESF analysis and modifications. HYBRID startpos.esf

B-DizL's Avatar TGW Lead Modeller
    Patrician

Default Re: STARTPOS.ESF analysis and modifications. HYBRID startpos.esf

Hey guys, i have a strange issue with trying to change the populations of regions in the startpos.

Im trying to match roughly the populations of countries in 1914. Through research ive decided to give England 25 million and Ireland about 9 million.

The issue is now there are massive fluctuations in the population, like 10 million people dying of starvation in 1 turn, and then another 3-4 million being born in the next turn. This only seems to happen with very large population like England as Ireland with its 9 million doesnt have this issue.

I tried changing the value for farming in the esf but it doesnt seem to affect it. Any ideas?

I cannot use the ESF editor you provided, I have a mac. Is there any way I can modify the .esf on a mac?

Sorry to disturb you guys but I was trying to play as Spain with my friend on Multiplayer European Campaign using your guide. I was able to click on Spain as a nation and start the campaign, but it crashed trying to load. Do you guys have any solution I can use?

This is in Napoleon total war. Sorry for being late to the party

argonian68's Avatar Laetus

Where's the download link for Alpaca's esf research tool?!?!

any suggestion how to change carribbean emergents from pirates into a generic rebel nation ?
    My 6 2nd rates routed in horror from 1 brig + 1 5th rate on auto-resolve....

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Yes. Here's how:

How to change which faction is emergent in a region

You will need an ESF Editor and a copy of the startpos which you would like to edit.

When you have opened the startpos in the ESF editor, you need to:-

- Open CAMPAIGN_STARTPOS/CAMPAIGN_ENV/CAMPAIGN_MODEL/WORLD/REGION_MANAGER/REGIONS_ARRAY/[name of region you want to edit]/[name of region you want to edit]

- On the right hand side of the screen, look for the entries which are labelled as 'Emerging Nation' and 'Region Rebels' (in Caribbean regions, such as Hispaniola, these will be pirates and Pirate Rebels)

- Decide which faction you would like to be emergent in this region. Find a region where that faction is already emergent and make a note of the entries for 'Emerging Nation' and 'Region Rebels.' For example, if you would like the faction of Gran Colombia (which is called colombia the game's database tables) to be emergent, you would look at the entries in the region_array for the region of New_Grenada, where this faction is already emergent. You would find that the entries are colombia and Colombian Rebels.

- Change these entries in the region which you want to change. For example, if you wanted Gran Colombia rather than the Pirates to be emergent in the Caribbean region of Hispaniola, you could change the setting 'pirates' to 'colombia' and change the setting 'Pirate Rebels' to 'Colombian Rebels.'

If you would like to see a working startpos which changes the faction that is emergent, you could look at the startpos files for my These United Colonies mod (they change the faction which is emergent in United States regions from the United States to the Thirteen Colonies) or you could look at the 18K startpos for my Early American Revolution mod startpos which changes the faction which is emergent in some regions in India. There are links to both mods in my signature.

If you would like to see a list of rebel factions, you can open a copy of the patch.pack file (from C:/ProgramFiles(x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Empire Total War/data) with Pack File Manager and open the factions_table. All factions, including rebel factions, are listed in the first column. (Each faction also has a 'settler rebels' column. So, for example for Britain, there are british_rebels (which normally emerge in Europe) and british_settler_rebels. The british_settler_rebels might have been intended to emerge in regions outside Europe held by Britain at the start - however, I believe the rebels which emerge in those regions are the Pirates, in the Bahamas and Jamaica, and Native American rebels, in Rupert's Land. So perhaps the british_settler_rebels were intended for the Warpath campaign?)

[Edit to add] This technique can cause CTDs if you make a European faction emergent in India and if that European faction loses their home region in Europe. This did not seem to be a problem with Britain - I captured Britain's home regions after British regions emerged in India to check - but it did cause a problem with France. So my Early American Revolution startpos which uses this technique only makes Britain emergent in some regions in India, not France.

My other basic guides to modding ETW are listed here.
    Last edited by Alwyn; September 06, 2015 at 02:16 AM.

75Antons's Avatar Foederatus

Hi there, I know this is a very old topic and one that hasn't been posted in for a while but, I have an issue. I adjusted my start money and the number of turns per year but, now my tech tree seems to be screwed (on all factions, not just my chosen one). Specifically the tree for cannons had techs missing and cannot be advanced past the first upgrades.

Any ideas as to why this may happen?

Marso's Avatar Foederatus

Hello everyone;
    does anybody know why i can't find the minor factions when i want to modify the objectives file? I can only find the major ones. Thanks.

I want to rename Austria to Holy Roman Empire in one of my saved games. I opened up the save file and edited it but now it crashes when I try to load it. Do I have to edit the startpos for it to work? I don't want every game I play to have Austria as Holy Roman Empire, I just want to do this once without having the hassle of constantly changing the startpos file.

Default Re: STARTPOS.ESF analysis and modifications. HYBRID startpos.esf (1.4 changes)

Quote Originally Posted by husserlTW View Post
    How to establish Patron _ Protectorate relations

Download and extract the attached file. You can find 2 folders containing patron.eaf and protectorate.esf for ETW and NTW. Suppose that you want to make Britain a patron faction and Portugal it's protectorate:

1. Open startpos.esf, go in [...]\CAMPAIGN_ENV\CAMPAIGN_MODEL\WORLD\FACTION_ARRAY\FACTION\ find Britain and Portugal and write down their Id's (1st line).

2. In the same instance of EsfEditor open patron.esf and protectorate.esf.

3. Go in FACTION Britain and get further in [...]\FACTION\ DIPLOMACY_MANAGER\DIPLOMACY_RELATIONSHIPS_ARRAY\ and find DIPLOMACY_RELATIONSHIP of Portugal checking the faction Id (step 1) in first line as you can see in the image below.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

4. Go in patron.esf, right click on DIPLOMACY_RELATIONSHIP, copy and then right click in Britain's DIPLOMACY_RELATIONSHIPS_ARRAY and paste. Now you have 2 DIPLOMACY_RELATIONSHIP the old one (black) and the copied one (green). Right click on the old one and delete. Your changes so far should look the image above.

5. Go in the copied DIPLOMACY_RELATIONSHIP (green) and enter in first line the Portugal faction Id (step 1).

6. Repeat steps 3-6 but this time in Portugal faction and find Britain's DIPLOMACY_RELATIONSHIP. Here you'll copy DIPLOMACY_RELATIONSHIP from protectorate.esf (step 2).

7. Last thing, go in FACTION Portugal (the protectorate in this case) and enter Britain Id (it's patron) in the line you see red circled in the image below. Save your startpos.esf, you've done it!

The above image is from Napoleon. In Empire the former 2 lines do not exist. Just enter Id under special ability. Few more words about this change. This is the default patron-protectorate relation, where (among other restrictions) protectorate cannot have diplomacy relations with other countries (e.g. cannot declare war). I've discovered that if you do all changes but not step 7 (leave it blank), protectorate is free to apply relations with other factions. This is very useful if you want your protectorate to be playable otherwise it is not.
    I cannot locate the attached file you are speaking of

Default Re: STARTPOS.ESF analysis and modifications. HYBRID startpos.esf (1.4 changes)

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Smoking Tree View Post
    I cannot locate the attached file you are speaking of
    Same here. Does anyone have it? I merely want to make the Kingdom of Italy a protectorate of the French.

In total war empire, how do i change the thing to do with taxes that makes u get less the more regions u own cus its ruined my latest game. Tax income has dropped to zero and i don't want it to happen again.

Geronimo2006's Avatar TAR Local Moderator

I want to make a unit only recruitable in Flanders. I have tried creating a Flanders entry in the regions_unit_resources table in DB editor, but it doesnt make them recruitable there. (I know how to make units). Wangrin mentioned to me I would also need to create an entry in the startpos. How would I do that? I prefer to use esf.editor as I have experience using it and cant get EasyESF to work.

Edit: its okay Ive figured it out.
    Last edited by Geronimo2006; December 09, 2015 at 06:33 AM.
    Colonialism 1600AD - 2016 Modding Awards for "Compilations and Overhauls".

Core i7 2600 @ 3.4ghz - NVIDIA GTX950 2GB

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

Incredible Bulk's Avatar Vicarius

Two issues I followed the instructions and I managed to change mexico's starting treasury I save it exit out but when I start the new campaign it never makes the change goes back to default.

also something happen and now my startpos. File looks the the Internet Explorer icon. Not that white blank icon how can I change it back? Uninstall and reinstall did not fix it

Incredible Bulk's Avatar Vicarius

Actually I realized no one checks this thread anymore since no ones questions have been answered

So I discovered something weird, there is FULL and Maintenence, If you want a more difficult and war packed experience, set all factions to FULL, and probably give them personalites.

Ok so let me tell you how, If you have ESF Editor (Get it). Go to Startpos.esf in the Main (the name of it, and you need to press Open esf in ESF Editor first). After that, open all the folders (going down to campaign env, then to world) and then on world, go to factions array, go to kingdom of italy for example, put the french faction ID in the 21st entry (in the middle column), then go into the diplomacy manager after, keep scrollingg and extending until you find france, put in 4th slot protectorate, then go to france, and do the same thing (except the 21st entry part), and put patron.

Quote Originally Posted by husserlTW View Post
    How to establish Patron _ Protectorate relations

Download and extract the attached file. You can find 2 folders containing patron.eaf and protectorate.esf for ETW and NTW. Suppose that you want to make Britain a patron faction and Portugal it's protectorate:

1. Open startpos.esf, go in [...]\CAMPAIGN_ENV\CAMPAIGN_MODEL\WORLD\FACTION_ARRAY\FACTION\ find Britain and Portugal and write down their Id's (1st line).

2. In the same instance of EsfEditor open patron.esf and protectorate.esf.

3. Go in FACTION Britain and get further in [...]\FACTION\ DIPLOMACY_MANAGER\DIPLOMACY_RELATIONSHIPS_ARRAY\ and find DIPLOMACY_RELATIONSHIP of Portugal checking the faction Id (step 1) in first line as you can see in the image below.

4. Go in patron.esf, right click on DIPLOMACY_RELATIONSHIP, copy and then right click in Britain's DIPLOMACY_RELATIONSHIPS_ARRAY and paste. Now you have 2 DIPLOMACY_RELATIONSHIP the old one (black) and the copied one (green). Right click on the old one and delete. Your changes so far should look the image above.

5. Go in the copied DIPLOMACY_RELATIONSHIP (green) and enter in first line the Portugal faction Id (step 1).

6. Repeat steps 3-6 but this time in Portugal faction and find Britain's DIPLOMACY_RELATIONSHIP. Here you'll copy DIPLOMACY_RELATIONSHIP from protectorate.esf (step 2).

7. Last thing, go in FACTION Portugal (the protectorate in this case) and enter Britain Id (it's patron) in the line you see red circled in the image below. Save your startpos.esf, you've done it!

The above image is from Napoleon. In Empire the former 2 lines do not exist. Just enter Id under special ability. Few more words about this change. This is the default patron-protectorate relation, where (among other restrictions) protectorate cannot have diplomacy relations with other countries (e.g. cannot declare war). I've discovered that if you do all changes but not step 7 (leave it blank), protectorate is free to apply relations with other factions. This is very useful if you want your protectorate to be playable otherwise it is not.

Can't find the files to download and extract for protectorate.esf and patron.eaf. Is it gone?

I want to change ownership of armies.
    "Now get in
    [..] CAMPAIGN_ENV/CAMPAIGN_MODEL/CAI_INTERFACE/CAI_WORLD/CAI_WORLD_SETTLEMENTS and find the settlement cai record that the army is stationed in." BUT I dont know the cai record of the army. How can I solve this?