Thread: If you have Vista or Windows 7

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

Default If you have Vista or Windows 7

It is a good idea NOT to install RTW or any TW game in the 'Program Files' folder. Install it into a folder called 'Rome', or make a folder called 'Games' and install it there. Vista views applications in the Program Files folder as applications it has to 'protect'....(from malware, spyware, viruses, etc). This may well be part of the problem people are having installing RTW mods in Vista.....Vista is trying to protect your game (RTW) from the mod you are trying to install. It may also be why updating RTW from the original 1.0 to Patches 1.3 and 1.5 is having spooky results in Vista.

Creator of: "Ecce, Roma Surrectum....Behold, Rome Arises!"
    R.I.P. My Beloved Father

HMonk's Avatar Decanus

Default Re: If you have Vista...

Thats true, Vista doesn't like you to mess with its program files. DVK is right ,make a games folder and place RTW files there.
    Last edited by HMonk; July 31, 2009 at 10:53 PM.
    The Best Computer is Your Computer!

Sometimes It owrks for me sometimes, but I don't want to un-install the game so can I just move the RTW folder elsewhere?
    Caius Valerius Messala
    Patrician

hey i used to have Roma Surrectum on teh old XP pc and loved it and cant play Rome unless its that now cause its just crap. So i got a new pc which of course has Vista and now it wont let me install mods or patches, i tried what you suggested and made a whole folder i also made sure to give myself full control over the content inside the folder, but when i try and install the patch 1.3 it says no previous version of RTW was found, any ideas on how i can fix this?

Praetorian_BGX's Avatar Ordinarius

Quote Originally Posted by smiffyuk111 View Post
    hey i used to have Roma Surrectum on teh old XP pc and loved it and cant play Rome unless its that now cause its just crap. So i got a new pc which of course has Vista and now it wont let me install mods or patches, i tried what you suggested and made a whole folder i also made sure to give myself full control over the content inside the folder, but when i try and install the patch 1.3 it says no previous version of RTW was found, any ideas on how i can fix this?

Disable UAC.

Just turn the damn thing off.
    Last edited by Squid; July 31, 2009 at 04:52 PM. Reason: removed link

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must
    ."
    -Thucydides

Squid's Avatar Opifex
    Patrician Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Or you could just ask vista help for "disable UAC" and take the option is says "Turn User Account Control On or Off". Then you have no need for a third party software which likely has a virus or keylogger or other such nefarious devices built in. Its not like it's complicated to do.
    Under the patronage of Roman_Man#3, Patron of Ishan
    Click for my tools and tutorials
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -----Albert Einstein

well i have vista and i have had loads of mods for rome, medieval and so on all in the program files all have worked fine on here no problems with any of them!

maybe i have a friendly version of vista and because of this i love vista i have had no problems with it at all with anything! but i havent updated it with any of the new vista updates which might be why!

Hi, I have Vista 64-bit and when I first bought this computer, Rome+patches installed fine. I uninstalled rome a couple of months ago and now I'm trying to re-install. Everything goes smoothly until I try to apply (patch 1.5). I've tried removing every trace of the previous install and I still get the error. Tried with UAC turned off. Tried with it turned on. Tried to install Barbarian invasion too and got the same error when trying to apply (patch 1.6). The problem is after (patch 1.3).The thumbnail below is what the error message looks like and then you click on detail and get:

Error Code: -5004 : 0x80070002
    Error Information:
    >SetupDLL\SetupDLL.cpp (3085)
    PAPP:Rome - Total War - patch 1.5
    PVENDOR:The Creative Assembly (www.totalwar.com)
    PGUID:6C1804BC-094F-431A-BEA5-37A837958029
    $11.0.0.28844PAK
    Last edited by Baron von Manteuffel; October 23, 2009 at 01:49 PM.

Squid's Avatar Opifex
    Patrician Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

You should ask this in the Rome Technical help forum, this isn't the place for RTW related issues.
    Under the patronage of Roman_Man#3, Patron of Ishan
    Click for my tools and tutorials
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -----Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Sqυιd View Post
    You should ask this in the Rome Technical help forum, this isn't the place for RTW related issues.
    Okay I found a workaround. If you install Rome, and then patch 1.3, go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\InstallShield. Rename the InstallShield folder to something else, XInstallShield will work. Now you can install the 1.5 patch. The InstallShield folder will be regenerated. Got the mod working and it looks great. Hope this helps others.
    Last edited by Baron von Manteuffel; October 24, 2009 at 02:35 PM.

Default Re: If you have Vista or Windows 7

Im having problems installing Surrectum II it giving me three error messages that i'm Copying here:

Error 1/3
    You dont have Roma Surrectum II installed on the correct folder, ( C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome-Total War)
    Error 2/3
    Engine: Rome TW-BI exe, Faction Campaign:-mod
    Error 3/3
    In total: ´RomeTW-BI.exe- mod:-show_err-nm-movie_cam

The mod wont run and it gives me diferent windows with an X 12 text then it just frezzes in the begining screen.

I've installed the game in Crogram Files\Activision\Rome Total War over the 1.5 patch which was working perfectly.

I have a 1.4ghz Turion64, 2Gb Ram, and a 128mb mobility Radeon X700 and running windows 7

Default Re: If you have Vista or Windows 7

Im having the same problems installing Surrectum I as Mikags it gives me Error You don't have Roma Surrectum I installed on the correct folder, ( C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome-Total War)

The mod wont even load just tells me that it was not properly installed

I've installed the game in C program Files\Activision\Rome Total War over the 1.5 patch which was working perfectly.

I also run windows 7, can anyone help please I am not that good with swapping and changing files and folders to be honest.