Thread: What mod/patches shall I get for Shogun and Medieval?

Default What mod/patches shall I get for Shogun and Medieval?

I'm going to make my first TW purchase tomorrow, with TW Eras, and I'm planning on starting the adventure with Shogun.

I presume that I won't need any patches, as the Eras version of the game will be up to date, but are there any mods worth applying? (for both shogun and med) I don't fancy playing the game and then finding out it would've been better with mods afterwards. Anything that adds to realism would be great.

Thanks

Default Re: What mod/patches shall I get for Shogun and Medieval?

Donīt think that there are many mods for Shogun. Itīs too old (and was a good game even unmodded).

Important modding started only with Medieval when iīm correct (and especially with Rome later on).

Sounds good for Shogun, I shall load it and start playing. What are the mod options for medieval then?

Either MTW XL offering more provinces and factions or Napoleonic TW (NTW) for a different time frame. You can find both of them above in this forum.

Personally I think that MTW is also a good game unmodded. Just try it first. I played it very long - and many campaigns.

Only Rome got boring quickly and it is very inaccurate. There you should install a good mod and forget the original game.

Excellent, thanks. I will try and enjoy the base games and hold off on the Napoleonic as long as possible, which won't be easy as I really like that era.

Axalon's Avatar She-Hulk wills it!

Icon2 Re: What mod/patches shall I get for Shogun and Medieval?

Hello Triggaaar,

As far as STW goes, it is not a question of age of the game, it is a question of design of the game. That game simply is not very moddable by design and as a result there are no major mods released for it – that I know of at least. As far as MTW goes things are different….

I’ll fill in the blanks since actually quite a few MTW-mods were not mentioned so far. Still, I do agree with Xerrop on the point that you should start with raw MTW to learn the basics before you try out any mod. Anyway, here is a more accurate list of all the major released alterations for MTW….

Medieval Themed….
    ==========================================
    BKB-supermod* – Most factions and units of the four medieval mods...
    MTW-Medmod* – The original game made harder essentially.
    MTW-Redux – MTW redesigned to create an alternative take of the game basically.
    MTW-XL – The basic game made extra large essentially. Also plenty of units and factions.
    (* No representation at the TWC)

Non-Medieval Themed....
    Ancient Total War* – Set in ancient times basically….
    Hellenic Total War* – Classical Greece essentially….
    Napoleon Total War – Napoleonic era obviously….
    Pike and Musket Total War – Essentially the period that follows after MTW ends….
    Samurai Warlords – STW ported to MTW is the idea here…. **formally not released.
    (* No representation at the TWC)

Currently under development…. (That I know of...)
    Hyborian Age Total War – Fantasy, The world of Conan basically…
    Britania Divided Total War – Focusing on the Viking Age, set on the British Isles I think it is...?

All are available at the .Org and about half are available here at the TWC....

The relevant .Org links…
    http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=74

http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=40

Enjoy!

Thanks very much. I'm currently losing my life to Shogun - how come I didn't know about this 9 years (or so) ago?

I have reinstalled Viking Invasion now, and it shows version 2.0

So Iīm wondering, are there any patches available or necessary which i should install before starting a new campaign?

Quote Originally Posted by Xerrop View Post
    I have reinstalled Viking Invasion now, and it shows version 2.0

So Iīm wondering, are there any patches available or necessary which i should install before starting a new campaign?
    If you have MTW and Viking Invasion separately, then you'll want to download & install the 2.01 patch. If you have MTW Gold/Eras edition, however, then I don't believe any patch is necessary.
    "Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." - Pascal

Thanks Martok.
    As i have bought the two, when they were released I donīt have the Gold Edition. So I downloaded the 2.01 patch from totalwar.com

Itīs interesting that when choosing the german language on the main page, the link is dead - but by switching to UK-language it worked without problems. Curious is, that both links refer to the exact same adress

Strangely enough I had never needed the VI v2.01 patch as my VI came already patched to v2.01. It may be that it was the early releases in the US that were released as v2.0?

Quote Originally Posted by Caravel View Post
    Strangely enough I had never needed the VI v2.01 patch as my VI came already patched to v2.01. It may be that it was the early releases in the US that were released as v2.0?
    Interesting; I'd never heard of any copies of VI coming fully patched before. I suppose it's possible that it was only the early boxed versions that needed patching.

Although, it did take a little while before the 2.01 patch was released, so I don't know. Also, my then-roommate purchased VI for himself a good six months after I did, and he still needed to download the patch as well. Maybe they only released fully patched copies of VI in Europe?
    "Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." - Pascal

Edward lV's Avatar Campidoctor

I recommend pike and musket. I spent weeks on that mod, still can spend a whole day playing as sweeden.

Icon14 Re: What mod/patches shall I get for Shogun and Medieval?

I would highly recommend the following mods:

The Samurai Warlords Mod
    Essentially an enhanced version of STW running on the MTW engine. It is highly balanced and highly tactical. Campaign map and battle map graphics are also top notch.

MedMod v4
    A better balanced version of MTW, with redesigned campaign map, more provinces, more factions, greater historical accuracy and "homelands" restrictions to where units can and cannot be levied. Medmod is a "tighter" game and better suited to the purist. Unit rosters are much more restricted with factions only having the units they need. Inome and unit stats are also quite well balanced. Unlike the others, there is a version of this mod available for MTW v1.1 players.

MTW: XL mod (with optional Tyberius add on).
    For those that simply want MTW/VI with more factions, more units and better graphics, then this is probably the best MTW mod available. It's not that well balanced in terms of units, nor is historical accuracy spot, on but the increase in the number of interesting factions and units will be a big plus to most MTW/VI players.

I haven't played Pike and Musket (the era has never interested me) but I have only heard good things about it.

Yojimbo's Avatar Pig tail Sock
    Citizen

Napoleonic total war is a great one for mtw if you have VI as it needs it.

NTW1 as NTW2 is for rtw and imo sucks.

Re. medmod, the only thing that puts me off trying this is that it is apparently not possible to select 'huge' unit sizes. In defensive positions I often find that my lines are stretched as it is, without having added problem of fewer units to deploy.

I understand the problem of not being able to select huge unit sizes is due to the introduction of a single additional new unit, arab pikemen?