Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: A Guide to the Ottoman Empire

Default Re: A Guide to the Ottoman Empire

I'd suggest waiting for reinforcements. Alternatively, train new units in Kabul so you can divide your army and crush the raiding parties one by one.

It's annoying if you can't do anything about your towns getting raided but it would be much worse to lose Kabul.
    Curious Curialist curing the Curia of all things Curial.

uzi716's Avatar Ordinarius

I can only recruit crappy mob units in Kabul, and I don't want to remove my garrison (better to be safe). So I will just have to wait for my reinforcements to come, which will take almost 4 turns and not to mention that it will take longer to rid my lands of those raiders. But, in the south I split my army so I could quickly snatch Gujarat before the Maratha's got it back. So once I finish occupation in the south (by then I should have Punjab and Kashmir) then I will merge my divided army and finish taking Northern India. After which I plan to consolidate my control of India and then hopefully begin Phase 2 of my invasion and take out the Maratha's. I'll let you know how things go...

Also, I am facing a bit of a situation in North Africa. My protectorate Morocco went to war with Spain without my help, so they had 2 stacks in their capital. They sent half of it to Gibraltar only to be slaughtered by the Spanish. Now the Moroccans only have 1 stack and the Spanish have about 2, and I know if I don't do anything Morocco will be conquered and it will ultimately lead to the rest of North Africa being taken. My original plans were to take North Africa after I take India and have a limitless cash flow. But, India is severely under-developed and will take some time. So I have a small fleet of 6 ships sitting in on the land bridge, but I can't do that forever. So what should I do...
    Last edited by uzi716; July 18, 2009 at 10:20 AM.

I think it's important to focus on a single theater. There's no point in dividing your army and resources so early in the game because it will probably only result in defeat. If I were you, I would concentrate on India for now. Spain isn't strong enough to conquer both Morocco and the Barbary States in the near future so I wouldn't worry about occupying the land bridge. Even if you leave it undefended, it's unlikely that the Spanish will manage to make significant gains in North Africa. While India might be somewhat underdeveloped currently, it's definitely a prosperous region and will be a great addition to your empire. Once you have conquered the whole east, you can focus on North Africa again.
    Last edited by Astaroth; July 18, 2009 at 02:36 PM.

So right now here is what India looks like. I will probably finish off the Mughals in a few turns. From there I will need to begin planning how I am going to conquer the rest of India. So my question for you is when should I invade the Maratha's lands? Also, should I start planning for my campaign to take North Africa? Because I am really close to getting those Euro style troops and once I get them I want to put them to use.

BTW, I know the picture wasn't necessary but, I just wanted to mess around with paint

I would probably spend a few turns building up the former Mughal lands. Repair the buildings, upgrade your towns, replenish your armies and train a few new soldiers. If you attack the Marathas too early, the war will be long and annoying so I'd suggest preparing a huge army first. Once you have a strong force, you should be able to take out the Marathas within a few turns.

Preparing an army for your North African campaign is probably a good idea, at least as long as you can afford it. But there would be no point in building soldiers to conquer North Africa if that slows down your Indian campaign.

Nietzsche's Avatar Too Human

This is a good starter kit. However, I think a discussion of units is in order. The strategic overview is fine and well put, but a tactical discussion would be a nice finish. Ottoman starting units are pretty awful, but there are some hidden gems with useful tactical purpose.

For example:
    Azzars and Bashi-Bazouks are capable of defending against the Persians/Afgani's/Armenians. In the vast open stretches of the Middle East having units that can move while hidden and flank (Azzars) coupled with a solid melee unit with a good charge bonus (Bashi) will win many battles in the early go against the relatively weak states surrounding the Ottomans in the middle east. These two units will likely comprise the majority of your raiding armies in the ME for the first 10 or so years until you can produce Isarlys in numbers. Deli horsemen are also very useful in the early go particularly against ME opponents who will use a lot of melee at first. The Strategic Guide mentions taking Persia out. I highly recommend this be done first and then making friends with the Indian factions. When completed turn that army around and run the Georgians off the map.

In the North, Russia will be a pain in the neck. Defensively, until you can produce quantities of Isarlys, you will need to stick with raiding and catching Russian formations in the open. The problem is they tend to use a lot of Cavalry (so do the Poles so beware) which can be very dangerous to you in the early go. Cavalry producing cities are in short supply in the beginning. In any case, the best you can do is stave off the Russians/Austrians/Venetians until you can develop your Balkan territories. Use fortifications and cities as much as possible to draw the Russians into sieges where their horse are less effective.

Build a small fleet in the Aegean and use it to ferry the troops you make in Ankara/Athens/Constantinople to your front lines. Do as the strategic guide says and knock off that Russian settlement. It will remove them from the conflict for a few years while you deal with Austria/Poland (who will inevitably come for you). If you manage to hold them off long enough, attempt a surgical strike against Venice (taking Venice and their Greek province) to knock them out of the game. Both are fine cities and can be taken at the same time with some effective management.

Aside from a relatively horrible starting position and weaker units, the real trouble with the Ottomans is deploying a Navy. I have found it difficult to compete in the international trade arena because so many resources get consumed with fighting land battles and holding such large areas against a dispersed enemy. The Ottoman’s strategically unique land situation makes it difficult to support different fronts or to get troops to the lines quickly, so everything has to be planned and staged many turns in advance. Thus, while having a fleet, particularly a trade fleet, is nice to pick up a trade port or two, if an enemy comes raiding, you will be hard pressed to mount an effective naval offensive to keep a determined enemy out of your trade lanes. This can strangle your economic development and make it even more imperative to conquer as much land area as possible.

I recommend two small fleets. One posted in the Aegean to defend your interests there and ferry your troops and another in the Persian Gulf to support East African and Indonesian trade. If you manage to take some West African or Brazilian trading posts you will find them very hard to defend. Augment your trade by making trade agreements with as many as possible. Give some money if you have to. In the long run it is very worthwhile.

Decide very carefully which territories to upgrade. You will not be able to upgrade them all. So pick your 5-6 best and focus your effort on them. Plan. Plan. Plan. Think 10-20 turns ahead at least. The logistics of your territory are daunting. Failure to make contingencies could result in the loss of some lucrative province which you simply can't afford to do.

Leave all other provinces to minimum buildings in the major cities. Develop only the trade resources and farms as you have funds to do so. If you have some to spare, go for the government buildings that boost income and population. Don't waste money on anything else. Decide which of your cities will be your main troop and army recruitment centers and make troops as fast as you can to deploy forward. As an example, I choose Constantinople and Baghdad. Those were the only two places I could build cannon for example. Every other province could only build the minimums (i.e. peasants). Walls may be an entertaining prospect, but only for strategically vital cities. What they are depends on who you decide your main enemies will be.

Luckily because of your enormous size, you can skimp on home guard quite a bit. I frequently had no troops at all stationed in central provinces while focusing the entirety of my military might on my campaigns. Make your campaigns as short as possible. Make them lightning quick. Take your objective, hold it and then disband your men to make way for further improvements. Keep your imams busy converting infidels. Send them in 5-6 turns before your advanced guard (preferably longer). They can soften up the populace so you don't face such rampant religious intolerance when your army runs the previous aristocrats out of town.
    It’s important to note that I leave India alone. With so many enemies in Europe and my larger cities located near Europe reachable ports, I naturally inclined to dig in my heels and go after the Catholic infidels. In any case, three words describe best how to win with the Ottomans.

Plan. Plan. Plan.

Enjoy.
    To be governed is to be watched, inspected, directed, numbered, regulated, enrolled, indoctrinated, controlled, checked, estimated, valued, censured, and commanded, by creatures who have neither the right, wisdom, nor virtue to do so. To be governed is to be at every operation, at every transaction noted, registered, taxed, measured, numbered, assessed, licensed, admonished, reformed, corrected, and punished. It is, under pretext of public utility, and in the name of the general interest, to be placed under contribution, drilled, fleeced, exploited, monopolized, extorted, and robbed; then, at the slightest resistance, to be repressed, fined, vilified, harassed, abused, disarmed, choked, imprisoned, judged, condemned, shot, deported, sacrificed, sold, and betrayed; and to crown all, mocked, ridiculed, derided, outraged, and dishonored. -Pierre-Joseph Proudhon

So its been about a week since I last played, and things in India are becoming really complicated. I managed to take Hindustan, but my army that was sneaking through Maratha lands to get to Bengal had to turn back. Because the Maratha's took it. Now I am in a bit of a difficult situation, because instead of having a flat war front to fight against the Maratha's, it now favors them because I am sort of enclosed. Now for some odd reason I can't recruit Isarelys in India so I've had to recruit expensive Janissary units to fill my needs. So for now I will consolidate my holdings in India and bring some cheaper line infantry and militia in from Persia and the Middle East. My plans for North Africa are on hold indefinately because I am strapped down financially and have committed almost all of my available money to conquering and developing India. And I neglected to upgrade my barracks in the region. In 2 turns I will start researching the necessary technologies to unlock the barracks where I can get those modern troops, so I should have them soon. Now I was also planning to have a revolution but, I wasn't sure when to do it, (I noticed in my Swedish campaign something happened where other countries still thought I was a monarchy and that's why I didn't have a negative relation for being a republic) but, thats not the case for this current campaign.

Ok so here is where I could use your help, I need a strategy for taking out the Maratha's, I don't want it to be a long war like I had with the Mughal's I would prefer if it was quick and decisive. Now I am in the process of sending my rakes to go spy on the Maratha's and see how big their armies are, but from what I've seen of their forces they look fairly big and formidable. I don't want to have a situation like I did with the Mughals, after I destroyed their main army they sent raiding armies which forced me to leave 5-7 regiment garrisons to protect each city. Also, I don't know when the Maratha's can get those Bargir troops but, I hope they don't have them because they will make things harder. So I need some sort of strategy for India, and also for Africa because the Barbary States have built some descent armies. My original plan was to get military access and send my troops to each city so I can take out the Maratha's in 1 turn but, I would like another opinion.

Thanks

It's been mentioned, but I tried a very different way of playing the Ottomans recently. So far I'm loving it. This is on M/M with Darthmod, though I went far on Vanilla M/M as well.

What do I hate about the Ottoman campaign? Huge, expansive fronts with multiple enemies needing large army production to cover the distances and various campaigns. So I decided to get rid of these problems.

1) I sold Moldavia, unlimited Military Access, and Improved Grenades to Prussia for Plug Bayonets, Trade Agreement and Military Access for 5 turns.

2) I sold Serbia, unlimited Military Access, and Improved Grenades to France for Physiocracy and a Trade Agreement.

3) Sold Bosnia to Austria for Trade Agreement and better relations.

4) Sold Baghdad to Venice in return for Morea.

5) Sold Armenia to Georgia in return for protectorate status and Trade Agreement.

6) Sold Syria, Palestine and Egypt to Morocco in return for protectorate status and Trade Agreement.

Then I go around getting Trade Agreements with every nation possible, raise taxes as far as possible without incurring red, start building improvements for my few provinces left, and gather my armies in Greece, Bulgaria and Thrace for an attack on Kiev. I sack it and gift it to Prussia (or Crimea) but this, like the OP says, knocks out Russia for a good while and keeps Crimea safe.

Morocco will attack the Barbary States, in which case I side with Morocco.

I let Georgia handle the Persian advance, intervening only when they lose Armenia. Once I beat them back, I resell Armenia for any new techs they've researched (one of the few minors with a school).

Austria gets totally preoccupied with evicting France, which in my game held on for a long time in Serbia. This combined with the Persian buffer in Georgia, I'm free to carefully build up my home territories of Bulgaria, Athens, Morea and Anatolia. Not only this, but I can keep garrison costs down and focus only on one or two crack armies shipped around to deal with singular threats.

I then proceed to invade Italy, moving up the peninsula once I've stabilized the captured regions of Naples, Rome and Venice in that order (they've usually lost Baghdad by then). This allows me to open up a second front in the war against Austria once they conquer Serbia.

So far, I've been slowly building up experienced armies with little need for throwaway militia and orta troops. Coupled with my advance in tech research, I'm looking to have a much more manageable expansion thanks to simply resetting myself to a solid core.

Gorrrrrn's Avatar Citizen

I notice that the guide reckons you can leave Venice and P-L alone.
    If only. They both DoW within the first few turns along with Austria, Persia, Georgia (and already at war with Russia.)

(P-L is raiding deep in Moldavia with Austrians and Russians sitting on the borders waiting to pounce.)

Nobody is interested in peace it seems.

I would really have liked slowly building up the Ottoman economy but nobody leaves you alone for long enough.

(If I'd read the guide before the campaign started I might have taken out Kiev and Georgia right away before trying for economic improvements and fortifications.)

Triest is a pain - The Austrians pour ships out of there and the Venetians ditto their port. However that sets up interlocking ZoC which means any ship in either port
    prevents anyone outside from moving away, and you can't (it seems) blockade Venice's port and raiding their trade lanes doesn't seem to make any difference.
    Luckily I had a small fleet incl the Admiral's 5th rater which destroyed both Austrian and Venetian fleets that emerged on the same turn, at which point I could escape back to one of my ports for repairs!

Only good thing is getting a few trading partners including Prussia, Savoy and Louisiana - hopefully they'll build some ships to deal with raiders?

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by uzi716 View Post
    So right now here is what India looks like. I will probably finish off the Mughals in a few turns. From there I will need to begin planning how I am going to conquer the rest of India. So my question for you is when should I invade the Maratha's lands? Also, should I start planning for my campaign to take North Africa? Because I am really close to getting those Euro style troops and once I get them I want to put them to use.

BTW, I know the picture wasn't necessary but, I just wanted to mess around with paint
    You must quickly get rid of Maratha, in my campaign they are giving it to me very badly.

Jee i hate the Marathas.

Quote Originally Posted by ROYAL SIPHAI View Post
    You must quickly get rid of Maratha, in my campaign they are giving it to me very badly.

Jee i hate the Marathas.
    Yeah but, I briefly truned my attention away from India and conquered North Africa. That may come back to haunt me because the Marathas have almost 1 stack in each city.

I just need to figure out a strategy to quickly destroy them......

Pigletdude's Avatar Libertus

I absolutely love the Ottoman units, I'm only in 1706 and I have grown use to each unit's quirky roles, the Bashi Bouks ( Light melee troops) are probaly my favourite because they are so fast and sneaky, followed by the melee janisarries because of how pompous they look and how well they perform in combat.

Oh and about the immediate enemies, I took a rather peaceful approach, managing to make Georgia, Dagestan my protectorates along with alot of other minor nations without giving any lands, -well... except I did give Sweden Palestine for an alliance, but palestine is really poor early on and tactically useless due to its location. Oh and I played on H/H.

Sparkshot's Avatar Biarchus

In all the instances I have played as the Ottomans I never once considered actually protecting the Crimean Khanate. I figured it to be a lost cause and would proceed to block off and destroy Russian ship raiding parties near Istanbul--improving the experience and retinue of my Amir-al-bahrs in the process. The reason behind this being because even on Normal I found my neighbors to be aggressive. In my experiences Austria will attack the poor Balkan territories despite being at war with Prussia and the Commonwealth simultaneously. And the Commonwealth will try to take Moldavia. Thus I find myself unable to leave my Balkan possessions completely undefended . The same goes for Venice. They seem all too eager to acquire Greece so I heavily garrison it to not provoke a war. I also encounter an annoying blockade fest with Morocco because they decide to declare war on the Barbary States early and drag me along with them, blocking my ports every other turn.

When I am lucky, I can fabricate an alliance with Austria, keeping them off my back for a while. I give them Moldavia to keep the Commonwealth away as well. In terms of Georgia I find the best course of action is to grant an alliance and trade rights at the same time. They provide a convenient buffer and can hold their own against Russia. I ask for trade rights from Persia which will only momentarily stall the inevitable war between us. I build up my economy through Mesopotamia, Istanbul, Greece, Anatolia, Syria, and Egypt. The Balkan territories can become wealthy later on but I choose to not risk wasting money too early on a territory that could be in the hands of the enemy. I usually exempt all Balkan territories from taxes, except Greece and Istanbul to encourage growth. A side not on Anatolia is that it is very rebellious and I usually build two entertainment towns to keep them under control--which is sad because they have industry potential. I can’t spare garrison troops so they must suffice.

When Persia does start their raids I take my stack from Mesopotamia and leave for Esfahan making sure I have a quarter stack garrison in Mesopotamia next turn. Once I take Esfahan I turtle for a couple turns to retrain my army and recruit more units and send a half stack to Azerbaijan and gift it to Georgia. This allows them to have some more income to improve their army and also provides a buffer for Dagestan. Next I take Baluchistan and Afghanistan to eliminate Persia and cease the annoying raids. I think these territories are worthless (even though Afghanistan can develop later on), not to mention one doesn’t even show up on the campaign map…and as a result gift them to a random Christian faction such as Denmark or the United Provinces.
    From then on it depends. I like to turtle so I build up my economy and especially my military. I usually build a school in Mesopotamia for military and naval research and develop the Balkans. If you’re lucky you won’t be bothered for quite some time although Venice might become antsy in which case I eliminate them from the Balkans and destroy their navy. Probably a good thing to do is eliminate the Moroccan threat and gift their territories to the Barbary States. Of course this means that Spain will probably want Morocco and you will be caught in a prolonged war with Spain. So gift Morocco to either Britain or Portugal.

From then on its pretty much up to you but the one complication that will eventually be encountered from this strategy is obvious; in order to win you need to conquer the territories that your ally Austria and possibly Georgia possess. Your diplomatic relations with all factions will suffer significantly if you attack an ally especially two (if Georgia takes Dagestan).But think of it this way, Austria and Georgia would be your enemies one way or another so what did you really lose. Empire Total War is called “Total War” for a reason. The Ottomans were disliked from the beginning and who cares if they continue to be disliked. By this time you should probably have one of the best armies, navies and economies s in the game so you can plow through any opposition. It’s a nice way to go out with a bang. But the truth of the matter is that the Ottomans were never meant to have allies, except France. So if you are able to retain a health alliance with France you’re set. If you are really fortunate, you could obtain an alliance from Prussia.

Anyways that’s my two sense. I just hope one of these days I can encounter a easier game like yours Astaroth. It would definitely take a load off .
    Last edited by Sparkshot; August 01, 2009 at 03:45 PM.

If the Austrians decide to attack your settlements on the Balkans, you should focus on them instead of Russia. Austria shouldn't be able to afford a longer war so it will probably accept a ceasefire sooner or later. You might have to give up the Crimea, but once Austria stops attacking you should be able to take it back.
    If the Venetians declare war, I would try to conquer the Morea as quickly as possible because that will eliminate them as a threat for a long time.

You should also try to utilize diplomacy in order to avoid a war on multiple fronts.
    Last edited by Astaroth; August 01, 2009 at 03:59 PM.

Primicerius

Note that the OP guide was written before the last patch. 1.3 changed things quite a bit and they are more a function of the campaign difficulty now. On the VH difficulty, Ottomans have become a real challenge + it's almost impossible to get any trade rolling early (everything gets blockaded or raided).

On a side note, Ottomans now is the only faction that still has 320 upkeep for its generals. All western general's have upkeep of 90. That 210 can make quite a difference (with several generals) in the early campaign when the Ottomans are struggling for cash.

Under 13 (COPPA)

Thankyou so much for guide ill give rep when i can!

Gunodd's Avatar Semisalis

I don't remember the Ottoman Empire being a very difficult faction to play in vanilla 1.0 on M/M. Will try again soon on HH 1.3 to see what's changed, after I finish or get bored with my Prussian campaign. (I've never played any campaign past 1750, since most of the world will be mine by then.)

Theoretically, I think I'll ally myself with the Marathas to divide Mughal lands between me and them. I'll blitz Persia and prepare for inevitable war against the Marathas once the Mughals have been dealt with. I'll make Georgia my protectorate one way or another...what I do with my poorly defended slavic regions I'll have to see. Pulling out of Europe, or trading your slavic regions for more secure regions seems like a good idea.

Gunodd's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by uzi716 View Post
    Yeah but, I briefly truned my attention away from India and conquered North Africa. That may come back to haunt me because the Marathas have almost 1 stack in each city.

I just need to figure out a strategy to quickly destroy them......
    Perhaps "flanking" their regions would work? If the AI really has any kind of intelligence, it'll have focused its troops on the front against you, maybe their backwater regions are undefended? Gain a foothold there and they'll have to fight you on two fronts. Maybe then you can land a small army right in the middle, creating a third front against them.

Morning,

I know I should read the guide fully but I'm in work & only have a few minutes.

I have started playing the Ottomans on hard & am getting trashed.

In general terms should you try to fight on two fronts - at the moment, I am struggling in Europe & it is know kicking off in Asia.

I hear talk of two pronged attacks into India - is this a better strategy than busting my pointy hat in Europe?

Help me now, for tomorrow the Austrians, Russians, Venetians, Persians & everyone else at war with me will have trounced me into no where

Henri
    Kardinal of the Khurch of Kong
    Author of the Official Zombie Handbook - due out in mid-2010
    http://www.ministryofzombies.com/
    http://severedpress.lefora.com/forum...s-and-authors/

First thing you need to do is kiss up to Austria and Poland. I managed to get Poland to and Russia to very friendly, Austria to indifferent. Now destroy Georgia early as possible then immediately prepare for Dagestan. Meanwhile keep building forces in the Middle East, you have 4 major recruitment centers in that one area. You will get raided a lot in the middle east but, you will have to suck it up because its not worth losing Baghdad.

In my campaign with lots of help from Astaroth and other members I was able to take over all of India, all of Africa, and now I have Nizam I cedid troops. Right now I have a full stack of new soldiers going to the Netherlands to take care of my former ally. And I still have all my holdings in the Balkans.

Taking over India is very hard, esspecially for me because after I took most Mughal lands I was hoping for some peace. But, then all of a sudden the Marathas DOW on me and I had to defeat them. By the time my conquest of India was complete I had over 8000 troops with atleast one chevron, but it is worth it because I make over 14000 a year.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast