Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions and Feature Requests

Default Suggestions and Feature Requests

Place all suggestions or ideas for new features here.

Hopit's Avatar Praepositus

Default Re: Suggestions and Feature Requests

ferres romans & greeks

Quote Originally Posted by SgtScooter View Post
    If you went to the Skyrim forums you'll see a lot posts about how it's somehow been watered down and hampered by money men making the decisions. Fact is, it's a great game and people still complain. It's the same thing as the TW franchise.

Hi Hopit,

Funny you should mention that. I was originally thinking of putting the Romans in, but after seeing them close up in XGM-XC I like the vanilla units better. They are too dark and dingy. The pics of the Greeks he has in his OP look quite good though. When I have the time I am going to download them and see how they look in game.

EmperorBatman999's Avatar I say, what, what?

Maybe you should make a mod that adds in the male units for the existing factions? Those sacred band look cool.

You mean a mod that takes all the new units for non-Amazon factions in ATW and adds them to vanilla RTW? That is an interesting idea. But it is quite a bit of work. I found that out when I did Thrace: The Serpent Reborn. What makes it more difficult is that in ATW the barbarian units go to 4th tier, and vanilla only to 3. If someone else wanted to do it they would certainly have my blessing...

what about you ask permission from lusted to use his romans?
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=43487

If you went to the Skyrim forums you'll see a lot posts about how it's somehow been watered down and hampered by money men making the decisions. Fact is, it's a great game and people still complain. It's the same thing as the TW franchise.

They do look good. Very similar to the Modding Legions pack, but not all drab and brown. I would have to add the faction colour to them, and make new unit cards of course. It would be a lot of work, but having them would really compliment the Roman Provincial Campaign I have planned for in the future.

The trouble is with Lusted being retired and busy, I do not think he is answering requests to use his stuff anymore (although I could be wrong), and I did not see anywhere that he gave blanket permission for their use.

well, you can always try.

Starlightman's Avatar Calling Card
    Artifex

Some infos from Greek Mythology Subrosa...maybe you have it...

The AMAZONS were a nation of women dwelling about the river Thermodon. They were, as a race, considered to be the children of Ares and Harmonia 2. The AMAZONS of Libya were much earlier in point of time and disappeared entirely many generations before the Trojan War; but those about the Thermodon river were in their full vigour a little before that time. The Libyan AMAZONS were also known for having waged war against the people of Atlantis, the most civilised men of the region, who dwelt in a prosperous country and possessed great cities.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Homeland of the AMAZONS

The AMAZONS cultivated the manly virtues and they pinched off the right breasts of all females so that they might not be hindered by them in throwing the javelin. But they kept the left breasts so that they might suckle, as they gave birth to children through normal intercourse with the other sex.

Where they lived

The AMAZONS lived between the river Halys and the city called Trabson in the northern coast of Asia Minor and perhaps beyond, coming to Caucasus; for it is said that it was in the vicinity of Caucasus that the AMAZONS had regularly intercourse with the Gargarians; and whereas these kept the males, the AMAZONS kept the females. To the west of the Halys river were the Paphlagonians. It is assumed that the Gargarians and the AMAZONS were a single people living in Themiscyra, until the AMAZONS revolted and expelled them to Caucasus, being supported by Thracians and Euboeans. Later however, the AMAZONS made a compact with them on the matter of children. But others simply say that a warlike woman took power in Themiscyra and assigned domestic duties to men, while herself led successful military campaigns throughout the whole coast, from Caucasus to Thrace.

Cities founded by them

Battle between Greeks and Amazons

Some have mentioned the cities of Cyme, Myrine, Ephesus and Smyrna as having been founded by the AMAZONS, according to tradition. The temple of Artemis in Ephesus is attributed to Otrere, the queen of the AMAZONS who raised it for the first time. But since some towns are founded several times, there is also one Ephesus, son of the river god Cayster, who is said to have founded the city that bears his name. Otherwise the foundation of Ephesus is attributed to Androclus, son of King Codrus 1 of Athens, son of Melanthus 1, son of Andropompus 1, son of Borus 3, son of Penthilus 2, son of Periclymenus 1, son of Neleus and brother of Nestor. Now, Androclus was one of those who colonized Ionia, and his time could be estimated to 1020 BC aproximately (ca. 200 years after the Trojan war). Ephesus, some recall, was at some point called Smyrna, being so named after an Amazon Smyrna, who took possession of the city. Later the city Smyrna was founded from Ephesus by emigrants from this city. Because of Ephesus, and because of their customs, the Amazons are considered to be worshippers of Artemis, who may assume different forms. Theseus' son Hippolytus 4, son of an Amazon, was also a worshipper of Artemis.

Their last wars

The decline of the AMAZONS seems to have been caused by the expeditions of Heracles 1, Theseus, and the remembered campaigns of the young King Priam 1. During the Trojan War, the AMAZONS came, led by Penthesilia (whom some believe to be some sort of runaway, after having killed her sister), to help defend Troy.

Some persons related to the AMAZONS

Achilles fought the AMAZONS at Troy, finding among them yet another sweetheart: having killed Penthesilia, he fell in love with her. Bellerophon was ordered by Iobates to fight the AMAZONS. Heracles 1 fought the AMAZONS in order to get the Belt of Hippolyte 2. With him were Autolycus 2, Deileon 1 and Phlogius 2. Sthenelus 5 followed Heracles 1 in his campaign against the AMAZONS. Mygdon, king of the Bebrycians, once fought with Priam 1 against the AMAZONS. Otreus 1: Phrygian warrior, whose people once fought with Priam 1 against the AMAZONS

link...

http://homepage.mac.com/cparada/GML/AMAZONS.html

________Team Member of CBURIGreat Conflicts 872-1071 ________
    Dominion of the Sword
    IGreece Playable & Improvement mod BETA
    _________ Roman Warship 50 B.C 1/250 scaleIAthenian Trireme _________

__________under the patronage of noble Okmin-san ___________

[COLOR=Red]
    "You can fool all of the people some of the time
    You can fool some of the people all of the time
    But you can't fool all of the people all of the time. "
    Abraham Lincoln, 1864

"There are three truths: my truth, your truth and the truth."
    Chinese Proverb

Originally Posted by Ferrets54
    It's relevent if you argue the Elgin Marbles should be returned to Athens because they were "stolen", because the Athenians themselves stole the money to produce them.

Thank you Starlight. I see some names in there which I can add to Amazon factions lists.

Starlightman's Avatar Calling Card
    Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Subrosa Florens View Post
    Thank you Starlight. I see some names in there which I can add to Amazon factions lists.
    Sounds great...

________Team Member of CBURIGreat Conflicts 872-1071 ________
    Dominion of the Sword
    IGreece Playable & Improvement mod BETA
    _________ Roman Warship 50 B.C 1/250 scaleIAthenian Trireme _________

__________under the patronage of noble Okmin-san ___________

[COLOR=Red]
    "You can fool all of the people some of the time
    You can fool some of the people all of the time
    But you can't fool all of the people all of the time. "
    Abraham Lincoln, 1864

"There are three truths: my truth, your truth and the truth."
    Chinese Proverb

Originally Posted by Ferrets54
    It's relevent if you argue the Elgin Marbles should be returned to Athens because they were "stolen", because the Athenians themselves stole the money to produce them.

Erzin's Avatar Laetus

How about making all buildings destroyable? This would make complete and utter destruction of a city possible, similar to what the Romans did to Carthage.

Already done. Except I left roads non-destroyable as they do not appear to cause a culture penalty, and I do not believe it is possible to make walls destroyable.

Yes, the governor's building and walls are all indestructible by hardcode. Buildings that cause cultural unrest are also hardcoded to my knowledge. Governor's buildings cause 30%, and walls, roads, markets, farms, and perhaps a couple others cause 5%, all other cause less than 5% if any unrest.

Expand your borders, a mod based on XGM 5.

Spartan198's Avatar Protector Domesticus

An AoR system would be great.

It is something I have been thinking about. However, typically AORs go hand-in-hand with a colony system where you cannot build your own troops after first taking a city, and I have no desire to implement the latter.

Given that, I am not sure how much worth an AOR would be. For example, who wants to recruit a Barbarian Warband when you can get a Hastati or Principe instead? It would be helpful for a few factions that are severely lacking in infantry, such as the Sarmatians. It would give other factions the chance to recruit Horse Archers on the steppe. But other than a few small instances like that, it does not seem like it will really add much to the game.

If you make the AoR troops different from regular troops enough, they would be worth it. Sure, no one wants to recruit Barbarian warbands to replace Hastati, but you might replace peasants with the warbands; or you might replace Equites with superior Gallic cavalry. AoR troops should fill holes in the faction's roster, such as infantry for Parthia and Scythia. Another thing you could do is make certain mercenaries recruitable as AoR, allowing you to retrain and refit them.

It is true that most AoR systems go with a colony system, but that doesn't have to be the case. Even if you made only certain special AoRs (cretan archers, rhodian slingers, e.g.), it could add some spice and value to certain regions.

Quote Originally Posted by CaesarVincens View Post
    AoR troops should fill holes in the faction's roster, such as infantry for Parthia and Scythia.
    Actually, Scythia has very good infantry in ATW...

That is actually one of the things that concerns me though. I want factions to retain the the unique challenges that arise because of their unit rosters. I do not want people to always be able to recruit good heavy infantry wherever they go. Or good cavalry, etc... I want to retain those challenges, because then the factions will lose their variation.

Quote Originally Posted by CaesarVincens View Post
    Another thing you could do is make certain mercenaries recruitable as AoR, allowing you to retrain and refit them.
    That is the line I have mainly been thinking along, if I do it. The mercenaries are already out there, and do not interfere with the unique identities of factions. But I do worry that making them recruitable will make it too easy for people to spam them. I suppose I could put higher costs or recruitment times on them if I had to though. That would limit recruitment, but allow for retraining.
    Last edited by Subrosa Florens; June 16, 2009 at 05:46 PM.

It's a tough balance to come by. I think for your purposes, limited one or two unit AoRs is what you will like best; things like Cretan Archers and the like.

I know that the Amazons are not known for their sea(wo)manship and so they don't have anything greater than the trireme in their arsenal; that seems like a good game balancer to me. I was wondering, though, if it might be possible to add an experience bonus to fleets created with the Dockyard upgrade. I noticed, while playing the Gorgons, that there's a precedent for having construction upgrades give no new units but simply a more experienced version at higher levels. There's a trade bonus, of course, that comes with building a Dockyard but it seems marginally worth building when there's a profound and immediate need to build facilities that better clobber powerhouses like Carthage, Rome, and Egypt. Just my .02 denarii.

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast