Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Curia Hostilia - Consulate of Postumus/Crescentius

Default Re: Curia Hostilia - Consulate of Postumus/Crescentius

The motion has been proposed, why has the voting procedure not begun? Now, we can all sit here and be astounded by Lepidus' return or we can continue on with business. Any and all questions regarding Lepidus will be directed to his home, not here.

Now, we have several unresolved issues at hand. The Alps and our Gallic enemies are the most pressing concern. We need to know the enemies' presence, their troop movements.

Our second issue lies with the Punic Isles. Our Tribune called for a vote of no confidence, but I'll be damned to let Ahenobarbus take the fall by the whims of a Pleb. Perhaps an investigation should be launched. If so, who should we send?

Thirdly, roving bandits and marauding pirates are inflicting havoc upon our trade. The status of the southern Italian cities are obscure to us. News of bandits from last term were heard yet nothing was done about it. We can't have a rebellion against the Republic in our own backyard, no matter how small and insignificant it may be.

Crusades
    Historical fiction - Fifty Tales from Rome

Can YOU dance like the Cookie Man?
    Improbe amor quid non mortalia pectora cogis? - The Aeneid
    I run an Asteroid mining website. Visit it before James Cameron takes it from me.

Marcus rose at the Censors remark about plebs.

Rutulus, it seems to me that the "mere whim of a pleb" is very correctly placed, as Ahenobarbuses incompetence is quite clear here. I will not sit here and allow you to explain it away as the mere ramblings of a "plebe" as you say, when it is in fact a valid concern put forth by a Senator of Rome.
    People will believe a lie because they want it to be true; or they're afraid it's true.
    Given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe its true, or because they're afraid it might be true. Peoples' heads are full of knowledge, facts and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

OOC: Isn't Ahenobarbus a pleb to begin with?

As Postumus himself pointed out before, the Punic Isles hardly require maintenance as the population are quite low and any construction there is almost an impossibility. Thus, a governor there, if he does not see the need to pester the Senate for funds, is free to NOT contact the Senate until his time there as governor is up.

Taking silence as a sign of dereliction of duty is no valid argument for a vote of no confidence.

ooc: nope, Ahenobarbus is a patrician.

Crusades
    Historical fiction - Fifty Tales from Rome

Can YOU dance like the Cookie Man?
    Improbe amor quid non mortalia pectora cogis? - The Aeneid
    I run an Asteroid mining website. Visit it before James Cameron takes it from me.

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Lepidus stands

Ah, hold a moment there, Censor. Quiet or not, does the Senate not deserve regular updates on the state of its provinces? Would it be to much trouble for the honorable governor to write us and say that all is well? I must ask, what has the Propraetor so occupied that he is unable to send reports to the Senate for review?

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Jeb View Post
    Hah, you're always so helpful to threads Winter. No wonder you got citizen!

Elendil of Númenor's Avatar Campidoctor

"And you really would care to read such letters and reports..." Celsus murmured sarcastically under his breath, so no one heard it.

CK23's Avatar Campidoctor

Looking at Senator Lepidus, Lucius nodded at him, agreeing with his statement. "I agree with Senator Lepidus, what is he doing? Are his provinces alright? Have they gone into Rebellion? Have they gone into disrepair? We do not know."
    Rabble rousing, Pleb Commander CK23

Hesus de bodemloze's Avatar The Gaul
    Civitate Patrician Content Emeritus

If the members of the house wish to take actions against this man then a decision should be made to start an investigation on what he is doing over there.
    Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae :
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    The Writers Study|Ex-Global Moderator|Moderation Mentor| Ex - Librarian of the Scriptorium|PoTW|MAARC|ToTW
    SPQR Forum Moderator

Which is what I said a couple of weeks ago
    Caius Valerius Messala
    Patrician

But you proposed no motion Consul.
    People will believe a lie because they want it to be true; or they're afraid it's true.
    Given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe its true, or because they're afraid it might be true. Peoples' heads are full of knowledge, facts and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Should majority in the senate not express there feelings on this before such a motion can be brought up.
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    The Writers Study|Ex-Global Moderator|Moderation Mentor| Ex - Librarian of the Scriptorium|PoTW|MAARC|ToTW
    SPQR Forum Moderator

Raglan's Avatar ~~~

very well then, I shall propose the motion, a motion that i fell is a compromise between the prevatlent opinions of the curia.

Insula quesitio

1-A messanger is sent to the Punic Islands, asking the Governor to explain his lack of comunication. (two days)

2-If a responce is heard then the Senate will further discuss.

3-If a responce is NOT heard, it will be assumed that the Governor has been negliant in his duties and a removed from his post - this will be further examined by a Preator upon the assumed return of the Governor.

4-The Governor of Sicily shall assume responcibility for the remainder of this term and a new Governor will be appointed after the elections.
    Last edited by Raglan; June 14, 2009 at 07:42 AM.

A letter from Sicily,

Senators,

I bring you now a report on the constructions set in Sicily this year.

Having the war with the Agrigentines has made me realize the poor land comunications that connect the island's trade centers, which is why roads have taken a high priority in this year. They will allow us to communicate quickly in case of invasions, rebellions and increase the everyday trade, bringing Rome a much higher income. Also, a road is a great, imposing feature that should show Roman supremacy and rule in Sicily to all the people.

Secondly, the war has also shown me that Lylibaeum is by far th strongest military point of the city, home to Lybians and other immigrant people who can easily become the backbone of any military operations in the island. For that, I have decided to invest a large amount of money in the construction of a Basilica in the city. A long time investment, I wouldn't expect it to be ready until almost the end of my successor's term. However, when finished we will be able to recruit a large selection of troopers, from infantry and spearmen to cavalry units and skirmishers.

Finally, as this is still a very young province, the same romanization process will continue in place, especially in the newly acquired territory of Agrigentum.

In a sumary, this is the construction plan:

-Agrigentium: Subjugatio 1440, Via 360.
    -Lilybaeum: Basilica 5850.
    -Messana: Via Strata 1080.
    Syrakousai: Via 360, Colonorum Deductio 2160.

Total: 9810.

With this, I hope that the House will be pleased with my performance as a governor in Sicily.

Finally, spies in the island have reported sightings of what appear to be agents working for the Greek polis on the other side of the sea. Wheather they are remanents of the forces the Greeks used to have in Sicily when they owned a part of the island, or new, I think it would be a good idea to send agents to the Greek torritories, to know if they seem to have any intentions of taking back Sicilian territory.

With nothing else to report, I leave you you current discussions.

May the gods bless you all,

Proconsul Sp. Herrenius Pictor.
    Governor of Sicily.
    Last edited by Ozy; June 13, 2009 at 09:35 PM.

The Pro Consul did an excellent job in the province of Sicilia. You can congratulate the pro consul for a job well done on my behalf messenger.
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    SPQR Forum Moderator

Gaius Tullius, Yawns and stretches his hands. This years has been quite, no border wars, the shame of it.
    Caius Valerius Messala
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by stormer View Post
    Gaius Tullius, Yawns and stretches his hands. This years has been quite, no border wars, the shame of it.
    Did you forget the attempt of invasion in Cisalpin Gaul at the start of the year colleague?
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    SPQR Forum Moderator

CK23's Avatar Campidoctor

Lucius stood up and looked at the Senate, and rubbed his clean shaven chin. "Senators, do we have any known list or documentation of our allies? trade partners? enemies?"
    Rabble rousing, Pleb Commander CK23

I believe there should be a list of them but the Quaestor could answer this question much better then i can.
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    SPQR Forum Moderator

Ah, that was little, and you were in command, I was just sitting here dozing, hopefully I will get a chance next year Consul.
    Caius Valerius Messala
    Patrician

I suggest you read the reports again colleague.
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    SPQR Forum Moderator