Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Map

Default The Map

Here is a gallery of pictures from the map of The Greek Wars, from v0.95.
    *Note: The map has been expanded and redesigned from scratch by Athkara for v1.0 - this thread is not indicative of the latter version.*

Full map with faction borders:

Attica and Boeoteia:

Corinthia:

Argolis:

Laconia:

Messenia:

Eleia and Arcadia:

The map is free for use by any other mod without need to ask for consent.
    Last edited by Seleucos of Olympia; October 12, 2011 at 05:20 PM.

Default Re: The Map

I think you definitely could have done as the mod team for Roma Surrectum did and used the opportunity of a small mod (ie: based solely in Greece) to really expand the map. Highly detailed, "zoomed in", with loads of settlements. Also, Ithaca should have been included.

This is a great idea! I hope you get it rolling.

Thanks DoogansQuest. It is "zoomed in", as you can see from this comparison with the vanilla map.

The number of settlements has been kept relatively low so as not to saturate the map with towns (and lead to endless sieges), but also because the towns represented in the map are the most important ones in each respective region - in many cases, to break down regions into even smaller provinces would not make much historical sense.

MathiasOfAthens's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

You could make smaller towns without walls and very little infrastructure near coastal areas in the larger provinces. That give the player the choice of raiding coastal towns, land and storm the town and leave within two turns since you cant leave the city after u raze it.

ROFL Copter's Avatar Vicarius

Or add parts of the sea and the north.

I don't remember coastal raids being very prominent in the 350s-340s, and I fear that it would be unbalancing between factions with large coastlines and factions with small ones or none at all (like Arcadia). It's a nice idea, though. I'll try to extend the map to the north when I get the time, but it may take a few weeks (real life...). Ithaca was only really important in the times described by Homer, and by 360BCE it would only make sense as a 'rebel' province, which wouldn't add much to the map, I'm afraid.

Lemming69's Avatar Semisalis

how about including crete and the greek islands

Emperor of The Great Unknown's Avatar Primicerius

why don't you inculude small villages within the regions that take up little of the region.
    Give a man a fish you feed him for a day, teach a man to fish you feed him for a lifetime.
    cant read?

The reason I do not intend to include the islands is because RTW doesn't like a large water to land ratio. Things could get messed up. As for the small villages, I don't see much benefit. It wouldn't be possible to recruit units in them due to their low population, so they'd only clutter the map with economically insignificant little provinces, which the AI would have to defend. I see how it would be a nice way to represent shifting areas of influence in small scale wars, but it's too much work even to ponder at this stage, without much benefit in return.

In other news, we have obtained permission to use the Prometheus city models for the campaign map, so expect to see them in the next version.

MathiasOfAthens's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

Quote Originally Posted by Seleucos of Olympia View Post
    I don't remember coastal raids being very prominent in the 350s-340s, and I fear that it would be unbalancing between factions with large coastlines and factions with small ones or none at all (like Arcadia). It's a nice idea, though. I'll try to extend the map to the north when I get the time, but it may take a few weeks (real life...). Ithaca was only really important in the times described by Homer, and by 360BCE it would only make sense as a 'rebel' province, which wouldn't add much to the map, I'm afraid.
    Well I dont beleive raid occured that often either during this period, but they certainly did during the pellopenesian war

hi just want to write here that itīs great that you allow everyone to use it...i dont use it tho because i dont mod

Busy!!!

SavageFeat's Avatar Senator

i think that you should add nothern greece and the greek islands e.g crete rhodes and also a littlebit of asia minor ad citys like troy

cpdwane's Avatar Domesticus

Check out our "Next version- developement coordination thread" and you'll see what we are doing about that.

Plus, stay on the lookout for any other previews we do

__________"Ancient History is my Achilles' Heel"___________

Spartan198's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by savage feat View Post
    ad citys like troy
    Troy was long gone by the time this mod starts.

I think there was a new city of Troy, but it wasn't of any importance.

cpdwane's Avatar Domesticus

It was just a village by the time Alexander the Great visited it (only a few years after the mod is set), although it was full of temples and monuments. But then Alexander renamed it Alexandria-Troias... ego obsessive

__________"Ancient History is my Achilles' Heel"___________

Troy was long gone by the time this mod starts.
    But the cities of Ionia were quite important to Athens and formed the backbone of their empire. Even if "Troy" is gone, Ionia is most definitely still there.

*except if the mod is set after the Pelop War in which case it wouldn't matter as much lol.
    Last edited by ♔Drewoid13♔; March 30, 2010 at 06:12 PM.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Quote Originally Posted by hammeredalways
    blimey Drewoid13 an (HB) for a couple of days and you already have our old world cynicism ... oh and as a (HB) you are exempt from the Proclamation

[QUOTE=Drewoid13;7054545
    *except if the mod is set after the Pelop War in which case it wouldn't matter as much lol.[/QUOTE]
    Looks like you've answered your own question, to an extent.

Spartan198's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Drewoid13 View Post
    But the cities of Ionia were quite important to Athens and formed the backbone of their empire. Even if "Troy" is gone, Ionia is most definitely still there.
    I never said Ionia was gone, just Troy.

mphet's Avatar Libertus

good mod.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast