Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The first few turns in APE:TI and more!

alpaca's Avatar Harbinger of saliva

Default Re: Preview: The first few turns in APE:TI

Updated until turn 25. I'll soon stop writing this because the early game is slowly coming to a close. I don't have quite such a headache anymore with more profits and decent armies being established as well as my ports in the caribbean being garrisoned and a fleet there for pirate-control. France is being industrialised and new techs are in the process of speeding this up.

You'll notice that I completely neglected military research. I did that for a good reason: Military research decreases your losses. You need that if you fight in an area where you have low manpower but since the Iroquois didn't attack and in France I have pretty much as much manpower as I like this isn't so necessary. I'm not planning to push for an attack in America or India, either, so the economic and enlightenment techs are more attractive for me. Also, roundshot is really good in APE:TI so I don't need my beloved canister shot so much.

No thing is everything. Every thing is nothing.

Kurisu Paifuaa's Avatar Biarchus

It seems you're making great strides towards your stated goal of presenting the player with distinct, meaningful choices with real consequences. Excellent.

Many thanks for this and the SVN link/Tortoise suggestion. Having an example to follow helps greatly in familiarizing oneself with the game file structure and modifier locations. Bit like having a crack dealer in my mailbox, though

Praepositus

A question I forgot to ask is do you have either taxes of cities automanaged?

alpaca's Avatar Harbinger of saliva

Quote Originally Posted by am.az View Post
    A question I forgot to ask is do you have either taxes of cities automanaged?
    No, I usually play without auto-management. I noticed that the happiness level the UI displays on the overview is incorrect after I changed the happiness bonuses so you need to check the city details. I guess this might screw the automation, too

No thing is everything. Every thing is nothing.

grandpa's Avatar Elite Bytebumbler

Default [APE: TI Team] Economic Illustration for Newcomers

Hello,
    Recently, There have been several posts by folks concerned about the economic challenges of APE:TI.
    I have played several campaigns. Yet in the very beginning I actually read the manual that the developers put out there for us, (where to find that now I dunno). Basically it gave you various options, to be considered successful even though you do not meet the vanilla version of goals to basically conquer the entire world. (When Alpaca gets bored he may revisit his Prestige win...cmon babe..you can do it...we know you want to.. hehehe)

However, the one thing that stuck with me reading the manual, was that if you develope your infrastructure (namely Government buildings, farms, roads, ports etc etc) you will see a significant per turn bonus to Region, or town wealth. This wealth snow balls, and eventually you will be so wealthy, that it no longer becomes the challenge, in spite of education costs, that few people take into account.
    (I reccomend to research, all economic bonuses, then research rate techs, as soon as feasible)

No, indeed, the challenge then is to have enough infrastructure, and region supply to enable population growth, and therefore manpower, to sustain a war. The real challenge becomes manpower, and supply.
    You will run out of things to spend money on, other than troops.
    The cool part, is with all your wealth, you can recruit as many naval ship as your wealth can withstand, with no effect on your manpower. So, go enjoy some epic naval battles.

As you take each region, you will have rebellion, count on it, and plan for it. that said, each region you capture will soon increase your supply, and manpower, and wealth.
    You will be challenged throughout your campaign, in one aspect or another, and you will not steam roll the AI. ( I have literally came across 20 stacks of Polish troops, and had to whup'em all).

So i leave you with an couple screen shots to show you the possibilities, to give you the anticipation
    and excitement to stay the course, even if you have to restart your campaign 3 times to get the hang of it. I will say without reservation, my toughest campaign, and most glorious was as great britian, even though I prefer Prussia to them all. (alot of folks think the starting empire of GB is a benefit...hahaha)

This first one is an early prussian campaign, different campaign, (currently 1724), (my Desktop computer that I play to get away... hide out in my office, lol) with graphics mods and AUM ( has no effect on economic aspects),

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Not many regions, not alot of gold, yet enough to exceed the cost of education, and still get 3000 gold per turn, after education costs.

The second is on my laptop, which has only APE:TI ver 1.1.0, no other mods. the year is 1775, many regions, and mucho money. Thats right 4 million, 512 thousand 371 gold. with an per turn income of 190 thousand. (in spite of very low trade values of spices ivory tea etc etc.) And 4 schools operating.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

So before anyone gets real excited and says the economics is too challenging, or that the education cost is too much, I can only say that the Mod as a Whole is challenging. And that is what I paid for when I bought Empire total War, yet only got when I played this wonderful mod.

I challenge you all to let us see a campaign screen shot in the year 1730 or 1740. I really look forward to it, as I know you will be excited.

good luck, and cheers to everyone.

"Work smart or be tuff", American Inventor Herbert Willaims. An amazing man. Inventor of the Openhydro Tidal energy machine, located in Orkney Islands. www.openhydro.com

It doesn't cost a dime to be nice yet has the highest return
    on investment. grandpa

l33tl4m3r's Avatar A Frakkin' Toaster

Default Re: APE:TI Economic Illustration for new comers

Thanks for the post, Grandpa!

I'd also like to point out that in the future we ARE looking at bringing down the end-game wash of money to a level that is more realistic and challenging.

You'll still be capable of being filthy rich but we'll work on making it more of a challenge to get there!
    [House of Caesars|Under the Patronage of Carl von Döbeln]

ODaly's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: APE:TI Economic Illustration for new comers

I -repped you twice, which apparently multiplied instead of added like I was expecting.

Damn and curse your helpfulness!
    Last edited by ODaly; January 11, 2011 at 08:30 PM.

APE:TI Morale Officer
    2nd Dan Search-Fu Artist

l33tl4m3r's Avatar A Frakkin' Toaster

For the players!

NECROPOST!!!

First post is nice look at some of the features.
    Last edited by l33tl4m3r; January 02, 2012 at 10:55 PM.
    [House of Caesars|Under the Patronage of Carl von Döbeln]

Default Re: [APE: TI Team] Preview: The first few turns in APE:TI *OLD*

l33t, i recently read somehwere that alpaca was having difficulties (maybe I misinterpreted), getting the NTW mod team solid.

Do you think if you asked that he would be interested in re-thinking his prestige victory conditions for APE:TI?
    I have always thought that was an awesome endeavor. I for one would kiss his ring if he came back to kick it with you for little while. Just a thought.

"Work smart or be tuff", American Inventor Herbert Willaims. An amazing man. Inventor of the Openhydro Tidal energy machine, located in Orkney Islands. www.openhydro.com

on investment. grandpa

ODaly's Avatar Semisalis

Icon1 Another Quick FAQ for the Only Mod That Steals Your Lunch Money to Pay for Your Schooling...

...otherwise known as "ODaly's Almost-Comprehensive Knowledge of APE:TI"

I've noticed recently that many newcomers to APE:TI come to the forums after encountering an unfamiliar feature or side-effect while they're learning all of what this mod has to offer. Some of these issues are real problems, and need to be addressed. This is expected, considering more than the fact that this is the work of volunteers (though some would argue that even paid professionals didn't get vanilla ETW past beta stage) who dedicate probably more than their fair share of time to give the community a new experience and dedicated response to the players.

Others, I've noticed, are more-often-than-not-recycled questions about the unforeseen effects of some of APE:TI's new features. Not that other community members or I object to responding to any questions raised (after all, I get to exercise my infinite wit and charm) but I figure I'd write up a quick reference guide as an easily accessible place for answers to many of the questions I've seen asked here, and hopefully give you a chuckle or two in the process while I'm at it.

Let's Start at the Beginning, Shall We?
    What better place to start than the stickies on the APE:TI board...

Firstly, I highly recommend you read, or re-read, the list of features and most recent changelog here. I, like many of you, don't know much about computers aside from how to make them do things that will entertain me for an hour or two at a time. Fortunately installing APE:TI is much simpler than it might seem. Blindly follow the voice. It will lead you to the light.
    Now that you've got everything downloaded, go back and reread the list of features. Please?

Wait! Before We Go Further, My Version is Listed as 1.0.9! Didn't I Get the New Version?
    Yes, you got the newest version. It's a known issue that the 1.1.0 version incorrectly displays the previous version number. The downloads are not swapped just to mess with you.

Is This Mod Compatible With...
    -APE:TI is modfoldered, so you can download the other hosted mods onto your computer too. Ohh Yeah! Unfortunately, you can still only run one hosted mod at a time, but wait! There's more good news!
    -APE:TI has a compatible version of AUM, with fantastic instructions on installing listed here.
    -APE:TI supports all DLC, so no units go to waste!
    -APE:TI is also compatible with all sound and graphics mods, except loading screens. Go ahead and enjoy all the different flag and skin mods to the bounds of your heart, or courage.

Can I Play As...
    -APE:TI lets you play as any major or minor nation at the start of either Early or Late Campaign, respectively. Playing as emergents will require editing of savegame data, and is not officially supported yet.
    -To have complete diplomatic freedom as a protectorate nation, you must break free from your protector, usually by declaring a war against them. This is a vanilla issue regarding diplomatic mechanics. Still, playing as protectorates (notably the American ones) is not officially supported yet either.

Vanilla is too Easy! Will This Mod Give Me a Challenge?
    -APE:TI, like many hosted mods, has tweaked and improved both the CAI and BAI. Not exactly comparable to multiplayer, unless you play against your grandmother.
    -APE:TI has introduced many new features to add to the campaign difficulty, and it is recommended that regardless of skill, a new player try playing at N/N until they develop an understanding of the mod's features.
    -APE:TI's unique feature regarding difficulty is significantly increased Resistance to Foreign Occupation. It is not unusual to fight off a rebellion in every captured province, and even more in enemy capitals. No more overpowered blitzkrieg for you wannabe Panzer commanders!

Manpower and Supply? What the heck is all this?
    -APE:TI imposes limits on recruitment based off of a nation's population and production ability, rather than its pocketbook like in vanilla. It's worth noting that colonial possessions have much less available recruitment, meaning that large overseas action may require you to raise an army in the homeland and ship it over. This means no more battling your way through two and a half stacks of Hannover line infantry!
    -APE:TI signals insufficient recruitment ability to the player by showing "-1" turns for the recruitment of a new unit.

I Should be Making Bank! Where's all my Money Going?
    -APE:TI has added research costs in the form of school upkeep. It's been the base of a running joke to rename the mod and why this FAQ has such a title. School cost is dependent on your difficulty level and the building level of the school in question.
    -APE:TI displays the cost of a particular school in the upper-left-hand window when the school is selected.
    -Everyone forgets to account for their school costs until they get used to this feature. Everyone, no exceptions.

Two Turns per Year is Lame! Is APE:TI Lame?
    -APE:TI is set to run three turns per year (one winter and two summer). Building, recruitment, and research times are balanced accordingly.

This is a Terrible FAQ! What if I've Got Other Questions?
    There are a few bug/issues that are already being looked at and addressed for the next version of APE:TI. Some of these are:
    -Tech tree bugs
    -Popup windows displaying vanilla information
    -Theoretically infinite spending/debt without bankruptcy due to how school costs are calculated.
    If you've downloaded the newest HOTFIX (it is required, after all) you should have no gamebreaking problems, even if the infinite debt thing does sound pretty bad. I'm just being dramatic.

A Few Parting Words...
    -Playing as Saxony is practically suicide. You want a challenge? It's wearing a bright green jacket.
    -The English are a bunch of twans on Hard and Very Hard. Watch out.
    -Don't be a stranger. APE:TI's fortunate to have a very helpful and friendly community, if a bit smaller than some other mods.
    -80% of readers have by now forgotten about school costs. 100% now remember.
    -Have fun, or else!
    Last edited by ODaly; January 28, 2011 at 11:54 AM.

APE:TI Morale Officer
    2nd Dan Search-Fu Artist

Default Re: A Quick FAQ for the Only Mod That Steals Your Lunch Money to Pay for Your Schooling...

Dude, very nice work indeed. I tried to rep you, but looks like I need to look for others to rep first. I always enjoy reading your post. Again, nice work!!

on investment. grandpa

Krixux's Avatar Ordinarius

Default Re: The first few turns in APE:TI and more!

My campaign is slightly different :

Apeti v110 + aum
    Hard battle + Hard game

France:
    1. Winter 1700.

-Alliance with Westphalia & Wurttenberg. Exchange Arcadia for Corsica with Genoa + alliance. Massive build in France all ec. buildings. Train in Fr. 2 Lancers.
    -moved some troops in Corsica and Alsace + increase taxes nobility at max in main theatre.
    -Train in Fr. Guiana 1 Hessian.
    -train sloops in all ports.
    -move all south Louisiana troops, except archers to the northern part of Am.
    -Sell my one and only Tech. to all that will buy. (ask 200, 100 or 70 till they buy it!)
    End money 7000 (as a reserve) - train plug bayonet
    -income nest turn 1200
    -Turn. (-Dutch declare War on me! and airborne-drop 1 General + 1 militia next to Fr. Guiana.)

2. Summer 1700.

-recruit 1 Hessian in Fr. Guiana
    - All Northern Native Am. go war on me.
    -Maratha ask trade & give me 1600, accepted (!!!).
    -Ottomans ask trade + ask 800, accepted!
    -Turn (GB declares war on me; having my 1st censured thought )

3. Summer 1700.

-Recruited 2 Lancers in Paris.
    -Recruited all sloops all over.
    -block the bridge at New Found Land (or something) + Massive GB fleet gets there and force my Sloop to go submarine. Inviting road for the Inuit opened.
    -train ring bayonet ; sell the just trained plug bayonet, to all (200 or min 70 !)
    -Dutch lay siege on Fr. Guiana awaiting my eventual surrender ( yeah sure!)
    -Pirates block all my ports in America theatre.
    -disband one cannon battery & pike-men in main Fr. to stay on +.
    - move the South Louisiana army into Huron territory. 2 Native armies average 5 units/army, move on me to get my Quebec regions , GB lands an army: 1 Gen. + cannon + 6 inf. European +1 reg of horde () next to the far east border of Quebec. where i have the start units + Gen.
    -My Spy in North Am. informs me of a major conspiracy between the above named nations and supposedly some apeti moders to get me fubar asap.

South:
    -i contra-attack in Fr. Guiana:
    1 Hessian + 2 already browned trousers armed (lol) citizenry against the Dutch: 1 Gen + 1 militia. they don't have bayonets and wait for me to have a go at them. Hessians advance with the 2 armed cit. grouped to flank, all next to each other. In fire range. after the first volley from all my units (perfect flat ground) no casualties in Dutch ranks. Their militia fire and mow down half of my 1st Hessians line. my 2nd salvo is shot ( after about 2 min of dutifully cleaning ,and cleaning ,and cleaning , and cleaning , and so on, their muskets ) but not before the Dutch militia’s 2nd salvo, that wipes clean the remaining half of my 1st Hessian’s line. By now my all infantry’s trousers are dark brown + all flags get whitish (refrain : shall we go or shall we stay, ....repeatedly). Miracle: the 1st Dutch militia man dies (!) and they get +1 exp. Their Gen. charge my armed cit. ( brown and wet trousers by now) which just finishing their ammo start all running to the re-supply depot to get more, with the only problem that, that specific location is waaaay out of the map’s borders.... Hessians charge bayonet but change their mind mid-way and im “crushed defeated “. i loose Fr. Guiana....
    -my face turns red, spilled coffee on my desk ( 1st censured curse is spoken aloud)

North:
    The two Native’s armies attack my left town, and with just 2 brownies in defence i loose that region; at Quebec main, siege from GB: the British lose badly, but my heroic attack costs me 60% of my units +censured remark from my part
    The Inuit are advancing on New F. land (ahem) , i sell it to Maratha (yeah! way to go baby) and get 2000 + all their tech. + Alliance ( me bad boy).
    Main theatre France : silence of the lam (that me)
    -no can do re-train in Quebec.
    -turn...

4. Winter 1701.
    -Recruited 2 Lancers in Paris + 2 farms in France done.
    -All my ports are blocked everywhere , all my war ships are now subject of a future “Sea treasure hunt” as seen on Nat.Geo. ...
    --Remember those 2 Native Am. armies? they lay siege on Quebec.
    -the South Louisiana army asks surrender and take the undefended Western Huron Region - mood gets red big time there.
    -the Dutch lay Siege on Brussels with massive army, attack-take it, and move on to Paris not bothering with the Flanders's low population mood
    -Savoy declare war on me plus move 5 cav + 6 inf into main France and attack my army over a bridge (hehe)-they loose badly and pull back. i lose some and move my army north to protect Paris. then 2nd not so large Dutch army moves into Brussels to ensure both order and back up the 1st army.
    -all moods in all my regions are yellow; if raise tax : are red. i don't , on the other hand i get redish with high blood-pressure.
    -total treasury next turn 800...
    -broke key-board with a fist blow.
    -needed a break - go outside on the balcony i share with my neighbour : he’s there smoking : gives a polite “good day” : i beat the hell out of him for about 2 minutes ( nope, i didn't, but i really envisioned that while grinned-answered his salute)
    -back to PC. closed game and restarted apeti but at extremely lowest of easiest very very easy.....game settings......

-hehe No ,isn't that bad:

by turn 30 i took back all north American regions, conquered both Guianas, while Brussels and Savoy + Genoa are mine (Genoa attacked Spain who in turn sacked Genoa-City that turned rebel. Genoa reappeared - no alliances what so ever , i had a go at them ....hehe)
    I took The UP (weepy!) then landed in GB with a small 3 cav + 1 can + 4 inf and made havoc there ...
    Im on offensive in America ....,

By GOD what a Game !!!! the best ever !!!!

Default Re: The first few turns in APE:TI and more!

lol lol...man thats a good post. hah. had me giggling over my cup of coffee.

Thanks for starting my day out right lol.

on investment. grandpa

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12