Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Curia Hostilia - Consulate of Postumus et Celsus

Default Re: Curia Hostilia - Consulate of Postumus et Celsus

I am saying this so wen our republic expands, and we cannot have the consuls fighting at multiple fronts therefore, the praetor fights for a short while in the least significant front to not make the consuls think about everything.

On another subject, don't you think we should be sending someone to travel the world to get trade agreements and alliances against enemies.
    Caius Valerius Messala
    Patrician

Hesus de bodemloze's Avatar The Gaul
    Civitate Patrician Content Emeritus

The consuls have there legates to do these matters you are talking about. The praetors are the judges in court and there for are not allowed to leave Rome as thy need to take care of legal proceedings. As it is stated in the Constitution.

Some trade rights would be good. The Quaestor should investigate this matter and report to the senate who we should address to get some good trading rights.
    Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae :
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    The Writers Study|Ex-Global Moderator|Moderation Mentor| Ex - Librarian of the Scriptorium|PoTW|MAARC|ToTW
    SPQR Forum Moderator

Only the praetor urbanus is not allowed to leave rome for more than 5 days, the other praetor is however.

OOC:- you can check on the internet, also it seems we are the only ones alive.
    PS:- When does this term end?
    Caius Valerius Messala
    Patrician

Raglan's Avatar ~~~

Yes Consul Posthumus, that is good thinking. I will look into it if the Senate feels it wise.

Obviuosly there are some nations that are we aren't allied with - does the senate have any perticular nations in mind?

ooc; it would be odd to try and get it with gauls (lol) and the same applies for the Carthagians, but should i persue the greeks, macedons etc etc

When does this term end?
    OOC: Elections should begin this weekend and the new term would start on monday, i think.

ooc you can check the internet for stuff as much as you want but this won' t apply on Yats. So this would mean we don' t have a Praetor Urbanus. This apply' s on YATS politics Leges Rei Publicae Romanae (The Constitution) it is not possible to have the same things as the Romans did In Real Life.
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    The Writers Study|Ex-Global Moderator|Moderation Mentor| Ex - Librarian of the Scriptorium|PoTW|MAARC|ToTW
    SPQR Forum Moderator

ooc:- my character is narrow-minded now so he won't stop methinks
    Caius Valerius Messala
    Patrician

Elendil of Númenor's Avatar Campidoctor

The doors of the Curia Hostilia opened and light burst in as if the sun itself had come down to see what was happening in that old House. And under the great archway holding the great oaken doors walked in a company of men, dressed in full military pomp, in red and gold and silver, yet carrying no weapons. The door was left open for all outside to see what happens inside. And so the group marched in wonderfully, smiling at the Senators. The tallest of the men stepped into the middle of the Senate and cried.

"Senate and People of Rome! Rejoice! The moment you have been waiting for far too long has finally come! Consul Marcus Julius Celsus has won a glorious victory at Bononia, and wiped out the last hostile presence in Italian Gaul! The conquest of the North is finished!"

A second man stepped forward and said in a calm voice.

"General Celsus also brings a letter that we are to give to the Senate."

Then the man pulled from a pouch a scroll and handed it to the Consul. It was written hastily, but finely.

Ave, Senators!

My men have probably already spoken of my victory, so I shall not waste your nor my time with its details. We have won, with minimal losses. The enemy's leader was their king - the second Gallic king I've slain in this year.

The people of the town begged that I spare them, that they wish for no more blood. Indeed, so few lived in the town now that I could not find the cruelty in me to harm them. Women, children, old men. I occupied Bononia, leaving everyone alive.

On another note, troubling news has reached me through scrolls I found in the dead king's quarters. It seems, that an alliance was signed not long ago between Gaul and Thrace. We are currently in a neutral state with the latter, but they can pose a terrifying threat! For Thrace and Gaul have most of Western and Central Europe under their banner - if they start a war... we would be in great peril.

Thus, fearing this, I decided to build a line of fortresses on the Thracian side of the Alps too. These Alpine castles are relatively strong, but if the enemy use all their forces to breach them...

I have brought you victory, and a safer border to the North. But I ask you to beware, these lands are foul, forsaken by the gods and hold many evil surprises. Always keep an eye on what happens here for there will not always be a chance to react. Danger is always near and the enemy is always waiting. Fear the wrath of the North, Senators, and be wise to guard it well.

I now ask for further orders you would have for me here, and if there are none, then tell me to come home. I thank you, Senate, People, Rome.

May the Gods watch over you all,
    Marcvs Ivlivs Celsvs, Consvl of Rome

Excellent consuls, you have carved out another territory for the People of Roma in less than a year! I must say this is worthy of a truimph.

Gaius Tullius turned to the rest of the senators.

Now that we have all of Cis-alpine gaul under our banner, I propose we should make it a consular province, for we cannot have it ruled directly by this august body when those lands are teaming with barbarians, once it is truly passified and romanized then we may absorb it into the state of Italia.
    Caius Valerius Messala
    Patrician

Why should we make it a consular province senator. I would rather make it a Propraetoric province i we would even make it a pro magistrates province. It is only a few day' s march to cisalpine gaul.

I see no reason to make it a Province.

As for the Consul bring him home i say.
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    SPQR Forum Moderator

yes, but Italia proper is civilised and roman whilst that place is barbarian.

ooc:- I'm trying to work up an argument.
    Caius Valerius Messala
    Patrician

I have pressing matters to discuss, as it seems my colleague has hired more mercenaries then his budget allowed This means that we are having a lot of them so i would like to present a motion to reduce them.

I already send two of the recruited town watches to bononia thy have taken over guarding duties from the present garrison. This would mean that the mercenaries present there could be send home. Also the italici maniples present in the town could be send to the for that is near by genua. This are an other two mercenary units that can be send home. Furthermore the troops present in ariminum could be send to the fort this will mean an other 3 mercenary units can be send home. The one unit of mercenaries left in mediolanum can be send home as well as the city is guarded by some some italic maniples and the vally is protected by the fort.

I propose the following motion.

I. Disband the merc unit in Mediolanum.

II. Move the garrison from Ariminum to the fort near by Genua.

III. Disband the merc in Bononia and move the Italic maniples to the fort near by Genua. When these maniples arrive with the once from Ariminum 5 units of merc will be disbanded.

IV. Divide the remaining two town watches that are already on there way to Bononia amongst the other conquered cities and move these troops to fots with mercenaries so that the same amount of mercenaries could be send home.
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    SPQR Forum Moderator

The alliance between Gaul and Thrace is indeed troubling, but let us not forget of our own alliance with the Kingdom of Macedonia. If hostilities were to befall us and the Thracians, our allies may also move to war on our side.

As for making Cisalpine Gaul a separate province, I truly do not see a need as of now. We are undermanned as it is without the need to press for more able senators to be pulled away from Rome. Leave it under senatorial control for now, we shall deal with it later when we have more senators who are willing to leave the city.

Finally, the disbanding of the mercenaries may seem like a sound idea for now, but far better it is to keep those men fighting for us than fighting for our enemies. The consul's overspending is regrettable and appropriate actions must be taken about it. True, he has saved Roman honor and lives, but he still broke his budget and the laws set forth by the Constitution; and no one, senators, is above the laws, not even a consul in victory.

Crusades
    Historical fiction - Fifty Tales from Rome

Can YOU dance like the Cookie Man?
    Improbe amor quid non mortalia pectora cogis? - The Aeneid
    I run an Asteroid mining website. Visit it before James Cameron takes it from me.

Senator we are replacing these mercenaries with troops that are superfluous in these cities and in the newly conquered cities as thy will be replaced with garrisons. As for the fighting, these mercenaries sit in the forts doing nothing this will take away a large sum of our budget. We need this money to build better facilities and retrain the legions so that thy are again on full strength.
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    SPQR Forum Moderator

Raglan's Avatar ~~~

Yes Consul Posthumus, i must agree with Senator Saevus. You were not here when the panic broke out over Agretinium (i really must figure out how to spell that place). It would be best i feel to keep some extra troops for any future needs - you yourself will know how under prepared we were for the start of the war.

As to the conduct of Senator Celsius, perhaps those extra mercanaries wouldn't have been needed if we had been better prepare.

Senators i feel that Celsius' motives are understandable, but agian i find myself having to agree with Saevus - he has broken the constatution.

Senator Primus the war on Sicilia has nothing to do with Gaul. As for Gaul with the last legion send thy have reinforcements with removing these mercenaries, who will drain our treasury, we will still have the same amount of troops as before. The army that was send to retake Bononia was to not underman the forts at our borders. We have so many troops that could fight at the fronts is we would orgenize every thing a little better. We are wasting money that we will need later on.

The borders will still be well protected with out these mercenaries. We need the money to Romanice these newly conquered cities senators. Take this in minde.
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    SPQR Forum Moderator

I proposed that we make it a province because I do not want consulars just sitting around, we can have a permenant governor there whilst the consuls can manage the Republic on other sides. We can't have our consuls running up and down Italia for life!
    Caius Valerius Messala
    Patrician

Senator Crescentius stop this nonsense the senate and people of Rome will govern these new territories. I will not support you nor will i support some one else who brings this matter to the house.

Sextius is starting to loose his calmness. But continues with a steady voice.

Senators at this point the most important thing is how do we use the men that we have as effective as possible. I still say disband the amount of mercenaries that i presented. If you fear that thy will start fighting for the enemy give them land in the newly conquered domains and give them Roman citizenship to ensure there loyalty. But we need to reduce the amount of mercenaries.
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    SPQR Forum Moderator

Philos Sophos's Avatar Protector Domesticus

"I agree,an army of mercenaries is dangerous,because when we would have little money they would just betray us.We will need a proper standing army that can protect our borders.

Also,I give my support for the plan to make Italy one unified province and the newly conquered provinces wouldn't need a governor.

O Sancta Simplicitas!

I will support disbanding the mercenaries if they are replaced at the rate of their disbanding. As we've clearly seen with Bononia, we can't just start disbanding armies at the slightest sign of victory. For each mercenary unit disbanded, another unit MUST replace it.

Crusades
    Historical fiction - Fifty Tales from Rome

Can YOU dance like the Cookie Man?
    Improbe amor quid non mortalia pectora cogis? - The Aeneid
    I run an Asteroid mining website. Visit it before James Cameron takes it from me.