Page 9 of 129 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718193459109 ... LastLast

Thread: Divide And Conquer - An Expanded Faction Mod - Beta released! 3.99* series Sept 1st Oct ## NEWS! We have reached 31 faction limit !!! ##

Default Re: Divide And Conquer - Beta 2 released! *May 25*

maybe i need to take out diplomats for Ranger's as well.

The idea that you'd attack bree... stuns me!

There are some conflicts that are reasonable. Dwarves vs Elves for example, or mix-raced conficts on the Good side. But intrinsically they weren't fighting amongst themselves so much. Their conflicts were less bloody.

I'm trying to recreate something similar to the actual WOTR and allowing for reasonable conflicts to 'energize' the battlefield (Minhiriath/Angmar would be examples of this).

AOR troops are... well, not ultimately bad, but I haven't decided how I want to implement them, and for what factions.. etc..

I'm hesistant of adding anything like that for the Ranger's though. I have a hard time imagining they could conquer/rule any populated region.

As for Rohan dying... its something that happens. I can't control the outcome of every campaign to work in an exact way. But I will be increasing their cavalry in the next version. Not their infantry, just the cav. Haven't decided how yet.
    Last edited by Renown; May 25, 2009 at 05:44 PM.
    Son of the Ancient Archaon, House of Siblesz

You would be surprised what they can do. ANMAR WAS EASY!!

Should I have Gone after OOTMM. It is hard to trans port troops when you can build no roads. I also wanted to return the lands of Arnor. I do plan to take Isenguard to but after my business is don up north.

Angmar was easy eh? welll... thats part of the problem with the culture of blitzkrieg. People want it now now now.

Give angmar... 5-10 turns to build up. I think it wont be as easy anymore.

If that Happens I am Dead. Dead. Dead!!!!!!

I like to go for the Quick Kill which is more like 40 to 50 turns. AI mush handle things like that. Give them a large starting Garrison

Angmar were awsome on my last campaign, the wiped out the rangers and defeated Bree Land by turn 70 then they sort of stagnated in a 3 way war with both Elves and the Dwarves

Quote Originally Posted by lordyu View Post
    ROHAN ROHAN ROHAN need some teeth. Died in my RotN campaign. The RotN Needs AOR to Augment its native troops. Like if you destroy Bree you get to recruit some troop Bree-men troops.
    umm be more specific.. you mean to say you want rangers to be able to train troops that aren't rangers?
    Or elves train men to fight for them?
    or Uruks to train Dwarves in the art of flesh eating LOL
    or how about Dwarves training the corsairs to fight like a big hairy man? wait... they do! lol

Sorry.. posted by request

ahem back on topic..
    Angmar will be getting a much needed boost in 'oomph' and Rohan will need a small amount of fortification to compensate for the change in circumstance.

Dont worry, Renown has ideas to counter these new negative effects, this is BETA you you are all testers keep up the much appreciated feedback!

Cheers

I want the rangers to be able to DO AOR in Bree Lands. Rohans was wiped out By OOTMM and ISENGUARD. Gondor Did very well, Making it waw in harad but Mordor is at war with Khud.
    Isengurad needs to be weakened or split in to Isenguard and Dunland tribes. the faction south of Bree needs no be there. change it in to the Dunlands.
    Last edited by lordyu; May 25, 2009 at 07:07 PM.

Ring of Barhir should be aragons as Family heirloom.

barhir(check spelling)

I wan the ranger to be able to DO AOR in Bree Lands. Rohans was wiped out By OOTMM and ISENGUARD. Gondor Did very well. Making it was in harad but Mordor is at war with Khud.
    Isengurad needs to be weakened or split in to Isenguard and Dunland tribes. the faction south of Bree needs no be there. change it in to the Dunlands.
    the tower may be the only Isengard settlement in a future release as we are thinking of including a Duneland faction..
    But for now i do not think any 'evil' faction in the west is nearly powerful enough!

Mordor and Gondor was at war on and off, on and Off alot of times.

Gondor is kicking ass in my current campaign- keeping/retaking its territories.

Initially it got raped by mordor/harad, losing.. 6 provinces.

But Faramir's army of rangers defeated harad, and occupied the Witch-king for Boromir to recap osgiliath and move on Ithilien. Faramir died, but Boromir defeated the Witch-King (for the first time) who promptly came back and kicked Boromir's ass back to Osgiliath. then Denethor came out with a mixed Militia army and a couple special units (i had spies down there that I cheated in.. so i could watch whats going on).

All the while some unknown general was keeping Harad/Umbar busy at the S/SW. Mordor is having a tough time, but remember - time is with evil!

Angmar is fighting with the Rangers and Belegost. not doing too well, but captured Amon Sul.

Lothlorien/Mirkwood are heavily engaged surviving the Dol GUldur hordes and now OOTMM just defeated Khazad-dum and are attacking Rivendell, Mirkwood, and Lothlorien.

Erebor/Dale are holding their own, and Lindon/Bree/Minhiriath/Umbar are pretty much just building.

I'm Rohan, and having a tough time holding Isengard at bay, but managing.

Mordor and Gondor was at war on and off, on and Off alot of times.
    But they have been set to hate one another at the highest settings, their ceasefires must cost them a fortune or the opposition would laugh in their faces!

@ Renown, can you check to see if the standings are set right? On first turn send a Mordor or Gondor diplomat to the other faction and check if relations are abysmal, they should be, if they are not its my fault, if they are then the problem lies in the size of their treasuries which gives then the ability to perform any type of agreement because cost is irrelevant..

Who should I go for now? Isengard or Kick the dwarves out of my former homelands.

Give Rangers a basic militia unit. to protect there own settlements when the rangers were away.

replenishment rates would be half that of rangers. I might use gondor militia as the template.
    Last edited by lordyu; May 25, 2009 at 07:37 PM.

Sorry mate, I'm not likely to do that. I wasn't really planning on making the Ranger's an offensive weapon like that. Aggressive Defense yes. But if you're going to go on the rampage you have to work within the limitations I'm giving you.

Or mod it yourself.

In my current test campaign, Gondor is finally being driven to the West bank of the Anduin, leaving only Barad Harn, and the fortress south of Osg left.

Lothlorien just lost their capital, and Mirkwood went and attacked the OOTMM and Dol Guldur then rushed their settlements taking 4 of their 8 settlements. Lorien is now in hurt mode literally unable to build their better units. (As i gave most of the important factions one or two cities to build their elite units).

I have faith that Mirkwood will turn the battle around.

Bree just defeated the Men of Minhiriath in one turn by defeating their sole army, and capturing both towns. Bree is just about functioning as I want it to, I may even make it weaker

I may have to boost the strength of the Silvan elf factions. I'll have to hear from more of you though. I can't test it enough to find out what I should do.

Btw Lordyu, I presume you are playing on VH/VH ?

I played about 30 turns last night with Isengard and kicked ass, had 20+ regions and was bored.
    I auto resolved about half of them towards the end..

I started to play as Silvan faction (Woodland Realm) and was no better off than i was at the start, i was frustrated because 15 turns should have allowed me enough time to be able to support at least one full stack and more than 4 settlements.. but i want unable to..

See Isengard needs to be weaken. let the dunland do the bulk of the fighting with Rohan as it were they who were doing it at time period.

I modded the militia my self. it does not in any means make the more offensive. they are only there to guard the Dunedain population while most of the rangers are out and about protecting Eriador. I might make the region specific or make the rangers region specific and them requiring 70 numenorian. Good Idea?

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by lordyu; May 25, 2009 at 09:52 PM.

Angmar just defeated the dwarves in the NW in my campaign, they have crazy amounts of stacks walking about :S Rivendells done for Lindon are holding on slightly, Bree and the RotN are both dead , the evil men faction (cant remember the name) only have one settlments and arnt really doing anything. Rohan got beaten by Isengard and Mordor (who seem to be more interested in taking Rohans settlments than Gondors) Umbar actually did somthing in the last 5 turns :O other than sitting there, they took the small island at the mouth of the Anduin, i forget the name. Gondor are going strong still they've only lost E.Osgiliath and Henath Anun (probably misspelt) Kazad Dum are doing suprisingly well they have Moria, the mountain fort, fangorn and the Erigion settlment. Lorien and the Silvan are acting very lore wise and doing nothing much other than defending their borders, one odd thing that happen recently though was a settlments very far up north rebelled and joined Rohan....(this is the only settlment they have left) Dale and Erebor are just starting too lose against Rhun and harad havnt done too much, they are kind of boxed in for much of the early game, but they should break through soon into Gondor, think thats covered most of the factions, just thought id give some feedback on whats happening , oh and its turn 134 on vh/vh
    Last edited by Arvedui; May 25, 2009 at 09:18 PM.

See Isengard needs to be weaken. let the dunland do the bulk of the fighting with Rohan as it were they who were doing it at time period.

I modded the militia my self. it does not in any means make the more offensive. they are only there to guard the Dunedain population while most of the rangers are out and about protecting Eriador. I might make the region specific or make the rangers region specific and them requiring 70 numenorian. Good Idea?
    it would make them more offensive due to the fact they have cheap garrisons allowing more stronger field armies..

And Isengard was strong in my control, when playing as elves they were kept back by Rohan easily even when the invasion was called.. Isengard doesn't need to be weaker, the AI will not cope well enough.. It is too bad there is no good ballance between AI control and what the human can do..

i am not ever adding a militia unit to rangers. There. done for.

As Archaon said, it is hard to balance AI/Human control.

I can tell you personally you could give me any faction and I could make it win. It doesnt matter how hard it is. I'll do it somehow.

I might end up providing what i think is a fair compromise... I may edit the Unit build pools and provide one for EACH faction. So that way when you want to play as a faction you can just sub in the appropriate edu. TO make it harder for yourself.

I.e. - you play as Isengard and I'll up the costs of the Uruks/lower the amount you can build.

I suspect along the way we will find a middle ground.

Btw I hope everyone is playing VH/VH.

Just played a quick campaign as Lindon. I built as many units as I could in the first 30 turns which I rushed through. Sent them on a fleet of ships led by Cirdan!

I had about 1500 troops, and I landed in Umbar. I fought my way from town to town. and captured them all... I was mightly surprised when I didn't defeat them, and instead lost each town quickly (losing my garrisons along the way) until I was stuck with 700 troops in Northern Umbar.

I cheated and checked the map... Umbar had taken the province north of Umbar, and also the island of Tolafas, they additionally had taken Andrast, and the province right next to it.... While Gondor had lost Pelagir/Linhir to Harad, and was holding Harad back at Dol Amroth and Mordor had captured everything up to East Osgiliath.

I held on in North Umbar for 4 successive sieges, 2 by Umbar, and 2 by Harad.

Down to about 400 troops, I finally decided to get out of dodge... (I was about 10 turns away from producing a troop) so I loaded them onto my sole remaining ship (the rest having been destroyed keeping my Port unblockaded) and sent them up river -being defeated twice by Mordor ships while doing so... and landed them near tirith-below-the-walls. I sent them to E Osgiliath and stayed there - assisting Gondor as they got attacked..

40 turns later.... and I had sent another army down south, slightly smaller, of 1300 or so troops to link up with my remaining 120, led by Cirdan the Heroic or whatever.. 10 star general.... Gondor had recaptured most of its provinces except for the ones across the water... and by this time we had trolls coming from Mordor, and Rohan was deeply engaged... Lothlorien was alive, as was Woodland Realms.. Angmar had been defeated by Rangers/Belegost/Rivendell, and the NW was pretty quiet - though Minhiriath was still alive and had one extra province to the south and nominally at war with Bree though I didnt see any action).

Khazad-dum was defeated again, and the OOTMM were hard pressed by Belegost/Erebor/Rivendell, and Dale (of all factions!) Dol Guldur had spread south. Rhun had taken all of Dale's territories except for Dale and Esgaroth, Erebor had 5 provinces...

but now I look at stack upon stack heading in my direction helping Gondor. theres no way I can survive the constant waves... I have already lost 900 troops, leaving my force about 500 strong. we actually for the first time ever got routed in my last battle. Mordor had 3 troll units, flanked by lots of archers and crappy infantry they rushed me. My entire force routed (I lost half of it, very very quickly) I was only saved by Faramir, who with some General of Gondor, led 2000 troops to my aid. they engaged the trolls and 3 of my units stopped routing and I returned to decimate the weaker Mordor infantry with a laughable amount of like 80 elves. I ended the battle with giving 2K+ kills though! (Gondor got about 3k) now to try and keep cirdan alive!
    Last edited by Renown; May 25, 2009 at 09:44 PM.

The rangers already make a lot of loot. it would take 10 turns per militia. They are also half what Gondor militia is. 97 men on huge army.