Page 7 of 129 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516173257107 ... LastLast

Thread: Divide And Conquer - An Expanded Faction Mod - Beta released! 3.99* series Sept 1st Oct ## NEWS! We have reached 31 faction limit !!! ##

Default Re: Divide And Conquer - Beta 1 released

**update** Okay, I fixed the Bree-land/Ranger war issue. And also the ranger's units/religion recruitment issues.

Now to do some minimal balancing for that.

Added two new units to the Elves of the West, and 1 to the Elves of the East from another submod. (This is to compensate for the fact that I removed the 'IMHO' slightly odd Light Elve swordsmen and archers.
    Son of the Ancient Archaon, House of Siblesz

Quote Originally Posted by Renown View Post
    interesting do you mean just Erebor?

I've not noticed that in my test games as the bandits.

Every time I've played Erebor goes right to the rebel settlements, sends a small army west, and then bee-lines it for Rhun.

Dale goes right for rebel settlements and also attacks rhun.

Can you tell which faction is declaring war on the other?
    Its Dale declaring War on Erebor, its happened in all three of my games so far, like i said before though they dont seem to take each others settlements, but they stop taking reble settlments

Quote Originally Posted by Arvedui View Post
    Its Dale declaring War on Erebor, its happened in all three of my games so far, like i said before though they dont seem to take each others settlements, but they stop taking reble settlments
    yeah, its just an issue of them not being allied. Either I forgot to mention it to archaon, or he forgot to input it.

that'll be fixed in the next version.

yeah, its just an issue of them not being allied. Either I forgot to mention it to archaon, or he forgot to input it.

that'll be fixed in the next version.
    Yeah it is a matter of good guys not being allied.. i neglected the good factions other than the special allegiances..
    I'm getting faction standings done today, every faction will be given a set attitude to every other faction now, instead of being 'normal/average' with 90% of other factions.

Quote Originally Posted by Archaon View Post
    Yeah it is a matter of good guys not being allied.. i neglected the good factions other than the special allegiances..
    I'm getting faction standings done today, every faction will be given a set attitude to every other faction now, instead of being 'normal/average' with 90% of other factions.
    yeah but Erebor/Dale should be allied. I probably forgot to mention it.

http://img41.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=0019d.jpg for an image gallery of some of the shots i've taken.

Includes a force of 5000 Angmar orcs against 300 some odd rangers, and their annhilation.

Also includes this shot...

I've added another projectile -Ranger_Arrow. What this does, is the flight of the arrows (when I perfect it) will be faster then normal, and a bit slower then elvish arrows. They will however be the most accurate in the game (to compensate for their low numbers - I might lower them even further by half, still considering). The above battle took place with EVERY unit but the one unit i left in each settlement (5) that I could muster. This meant I used my entire starting force, plus 4 more units to blockade that bridge which was inbetween Gram/Angmar.

I get about... 1 unit every ten turns per settlement with 90% dunedain culture. Whereas the 3 orc settlements get something like 6 units a turn if they want. Perhaps more. its late and my mind is a little iffy.

These orc units are however the subpar units of OOTM and Mordor. (Dol Guldur has some of the lower Mordor units, but mostly their medium/above average infantry).

The only way I won that battle was by strategic camping of the map. I played strategically offensive, but tactically defending. I fought a battle afterwards to see how i'd do on open maps without retreating... I faced 7500 orc units, and was decimated. I believe I killed something like 3500-4000, but they got 700 of those casualities back. You'll be happy to know Aragorn was my last unit standing (I used his Grey company - which in beta two is going back to his personal guard with increased stats) and after... um 12 repeated charges (in which his unit got 1300 kills) he got surrounded and ended up killing 16 more troops while I watched him go down.

And i was playing that smartly too... a player of average skill would have gotten more loses for less gain... I spread my units out so that I had a layered defense (and these archers rarely hit friendly units).... which accounted for half of the enemies deaths.

Lining the troops up in a line with no retreating led to me killing only 2500 enemies.

Every Ranger has two hitpoints, and the new ranger general is going to be a Veteran Dunedain Ranger... similar unit, slightly smaller, with superior skills in attack/defense.

The Dunedain knights are removed... frankly I couldn't support even thinking about them! Beautiful unit, but... just not a ranger or bree-land unit.

Might add it to Gondor as some sort of Expatriate type of unit...

I've decreased all ORC costs by half. Uruks stay the same. I've boosted Elven unit's considerably, and will look into dwarven units.

I'm going to add a couple of gondorian settlements to their start up line to both assist/detract from their situation.

More provinces = better for them, but more to defend as well.
    Last edited by Renown; May 24, 2009 at 02:08 AM.

****update*****

Okay. I've got a new version almost ready to upload.

Was working/testing all night. Got some changes I think you will all like. Have added some higher level buildings to Gondor/Rohan/Rivendell/Lindon/Erebor/Dale/Mirkwood. Have also added one Cave troll pit for the OOTMM, and one for Mordor. Harad/Bree/Rangers/Rhun/Umbar/Minhiriath/Isengard/Erebor/Khazad-dum go without higher buildings.

I've also quadrupled the time to build for ALL buildings. This is to compensate for what will be in the next version be a 12 turn per year mod, or potentially (thinking of making it 24)

I'd make it 24 turns per year due to the rather small nature of the map and world, and to increase/allow for fast travel (in the sense of time) while still encouraging open - field battles.

I'm also going to be removing the ability to create roads for THREE of the Elven factions, Rivendell, Mirkwood, and Lothlorien. Lindon is up in the air in my mind... I might just remove their ability to make them, but give them paved roads in their current settlements.

This is due to the fact that other then the woodland/lothlorien realms, the elves were no more kind to nature then men were... they assisted in the deforestation of beleriand - multiple mentions throughout the books. Only reason I'm considering removing the roads for Rivendell is because of the value of the wooded lands they would remove. Value = Ambush wise.

Rangers of the North will also be unable to build roads.

Will be adding movement points via VNV to the factions** - may be in the 3rd beta.

Expect Beta 2 out before 6 CST.

Subzeroplainzero's Avatar Civis

hmmm sounds like it's really coming along! Can't wait for the new release!
    Mummy I love you

Laetus

These odds against the orcs sound extremely fun for the player but how does the ai elves and other good nations handle such odds? It sound like they would get overrun within a couple of turns.

Quote Originally Posted by that_sweed View Post
    These odds against the orcs sound extremely fun for the player but how does the ai elves and other good nations handle such odds? It sound like they would get overrun within a couple of turns.
    It shuldnt make much diffrence in AI battles seen as all the AI battles are auto resolved so if say there used to be a group of 100 rangers and now its down to 36 as long as theyv been "powered up" so to speak the result shouldnt be to difrent, and when you fight against the small AI numbers youl want them too lose anyway

well strangely enough the Ranger's survive.

Angmar had been defeated 3 times in my test campaign.. with full stacks against quarter stacks of rangers (we are talking 3-5000 vs around 200)

Gondor is the one getting it's ass kicked. I'm trying to give it some lasting power.

But fact is, We WANT Gondor to get it's ass kicked.

It's up to the player to save it. Either as Gondor by hellaciously smart playing (mordor sends something like 6 stacks for every gondorian stack), or by an ally who sends troops to assist.

I just played as Lothlorien, and sacrificed my ability to attack Dol Guldur by sending an entire stack of lower - level units down to guard minas tirith at around turn 40 (as Gondor had lost all of its added provinces except for Goben Tofalas.)

Laetus

But Gondor lasted for more than twenty years after the game starts before getting aid. Giving Gondor limited growth compared to Mordor may be the best way simulate this.

Im just wondering somthing as i start my fist Gondor campaign on this mod, what is the Tirith below the walls city? is it supposed to be another city entirelly or is ti going to somhow to be "moldded" onto the minas tirith model (so theres two cities in one sort of) or is it somthing diffrent?

But Gondor lasted for more than twenty years after the game starts before getting aid. Giving Gondor limited growth compared to Mordor may be the best way simulate this.
    Im working on having gondor survive longer. Have no fear. Its just that is the result I'd like to achieve.

I believe I mentioned earlier that I was adding Tirith-Below-The-Walls primarily due to the fact that Minas Tirith was MASSIVE, and that the TW engine doesn't simulate how it was both a city and a castle.

Elfhelm's Avatar Biarchus

Hello, this all looks very exciting!... I read through the thread and can't see anything, but is it compatible with any other submods? Is it comp with 1.1? Confused but impressed! (Dynamo! Renown!)

Quote Originally Posted by Elfhelm View Post
    Hello, this all looks very exciting!... I read through the thread and can't see anything, but is it compatible with any other submods? Is it comp with 1.1? Confused but impressed! (Dynamo! Renown!)
    Its compatible with 1.1, but other submods? ....

Well seeing as how i've edited literally almost every file (with very few exceptions...)

If i were going to use this mod, plus another.. I'd install this first, and then another mod over it.

I've edited text files, modeldb, even residences, strat file, all world/ files have been edited.

about the only thing i've really not edited at this stage is the battle_config, battle_ai, and campaign_ai. And I plan to in the future...

visual mods might be somewhat compatible.

I plan to include many things here so...

Building/VNV mods out there don't support my additional factions so... they'd have minimal usage.

added script mods are similarly unsuable, plus you'd have to be careful to not overwrite something.

Elfhelm's Avatar Biarchus

Thanks! Ill reinstall and give it a go,see what mods work and what doen't! Let you know. Nice..

I know its early to ask but... do you plan something about the "Aragorn being King of Gondor stuff" discussed in the King of Gondor topic?
    Amazing job btw =D

Im working on having gondor survive longer. Have no fear. Its just that is the result I'd like to achieve.

I believe I mentioned earlier that I was adding Tirith-Below-The-Walls primarily due to the fact that Minas Tirith was MASSIVE, and that the TW engine doesn't simulate how it was both a city and a castle.
    Sorry i didnt notice that, i have noticed however that with it Gondor doesnt seem to worry about taking Osgiliath at the beggining and mordor will get them both before gondor even bothers with it.

On the subject of Aragorn - something like that is a little far in the future. it would require some scripting, and i'd like to get a better scripter then myself to do that.