Page 5 of 129 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314153055105 ... LastLast

Thread: Divide And Conquer - An Expanded Faction Mod - Beta released! 3.99* series Sept 1st Oct ## NEWS! We have reached 31 faction limit !!! ##

Default Re: Divide And Conquer - Beta 1 released

im pretty sure i've explained it SEVERAL times through out this thread, or even in the main post. I suggest you read everything. Some factions share units. Some factions have limited unit rosters.
    Son of the Ancient Archaon, House of Siblesz

Battle for Middle Earth II : The Rise of the Witch King has an Angmar faction. I don't remember if they have any faction symbol, but I'll check.

Carn-Dûm (the capital of Angmar) in LotRO has numerous banners, they can be seen on that screenshot.

Found this for Dol Guldur. In any case, the Eye is quite fitting, as Dol Guldur, unlike Angmar is IIRC officially part of Sauron's realm.

This site has a lot of banners, including Umbar, Lindon and Moria (as a dwarf stronghold). I also saw Sea drakes on Umbar corsairs' shields in the LotR card game.

Overall, I have some questions regarding your choice for the new factions.

First, what is the difference between Barad-Dur and Mordor ? I guess one of them acts as the Pope and the other as the actual faction, but I'm just making sure.

Secondly, why do you add the Men of Minhiriath ? The area is mostly unpopulated during the third age, and its original inhabitant in large part disappeared or retreated to the forests. For all we know, they might even not worship Sauron anymore.
    Now, I know the western part of the map kind of need an evil faction, as the OotMM mostly get their ass kicked, but I'm not sure Minhiriath is a good idea. Including Angmar is already far-stretched. By the end of the 3rd age, Minhiriath is by all standards a deserted area. The slot could be used for a Beornid faction, for Dunlendings (not really interesting), Variags or a generic undead/evil faction.
    Last edited by Meneldil; May 22, 2009 at 04:00 PM.

Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Renown View Post
    im pretty sure i've explained it SEVERAL times through out this thread, or even in the main post. I suggest you read everything. Some factions share units. Some factions have limited unit rosters.
    Ok sorry dude .

Quote Originally Posted by Tyraels View Post
    Ok sorry dude .
    not a problem, i didnt mean to come off shortly there. Just was up all night getting this first release ready.

Not sure whether you know or not (probably do) all the custom portraits have been removed, and the RotN generals all have Elven portraits.

Quote Originally Posted by Arvedui View Post
    Not sure whether you know or not (probably do) all the custom portraits have been removed, and the RotN generals all have Elven portraits.
    Thats a side effect of the culture. Men of Minhiriath also have Orc portraits.

I'll fix it in the future.

As for the other custom portraits they got removed when I was editing the map. I'll get them back in.

Here you go i put them onto mine (the custom ones anyway), might save you 10-15 mins of tedious typing ,if you want it anyway

Laetus

I had a great time using this sub mod but I did notice some things. I know this is a beta but maybe you haven't found some of these problems:

The generals age too fast and as a turn is now shorter than 1/4 of a year the fix provided for the normal mod doesn't work.

The Realm of Lindon are massproducing ballista units, probably because other units are in such short supply.

On the battle map the generals of Minhiriath are completely white.

The Realm of Lindon keeps allying with evil factions.

I assume that the much slower campaing movement is intentionall but could you please tell me where in the files I could increase it again.

Thank you for all the work and effort you have put into this sub mod, it shows great promise.

general's are aging fast now eh? let me test this.. i've not been watching.

I've increased turns per year to 6. Captain's have 1/3 of their previous movepoints, with generals 1/2. (but regardless you'll find this in the character file.

I thought i had fixed the general for minhiriath - it may just not be the faction leader *as his unit is from another culture, i'm going to fix that*

Alliances/Diplomacy is going to be worked on. Lindon is probably doing as you say.

*edit* generals are indeed aging too fast. This is something I thought i had fixed.. let me get right on that. (FYI it wont affect the game at all however, I've -for now- increased age limit to around 500

*solution for problem* insert the FOLLOWING LINE into the campaign_script ( in data/world/campaign/imperial_campaign/) right below the line seasons/aging and before the monitor_event

declare_counter period
    set_counter period 1 ;set to Jan -Feb

** if there are further questions, or if you dont understand what I mean just go ahead
    Last edited by Renown; May 22, 2009 at 06:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Renown View Post
    Alliances/Diplomacy is going to be worked on. Lindon is probably doing as you say.
    I'll do the faction standings tonight the problem is all the new factions dont have an opinion on all other factions at game start, and original faction do not have an opinion on the new factions yet. It definitely needs fixing!

@Renown, email me any special requirements here otherwise I'll generically make good love good but hate evil.

oh and i agree with Meneldil about Minhiriat, they are said to have far less than 5000 people in their realm and al of which are in hiding. It is said that the entire area is desolate and they no longer follow Sauron sine their dissapointment in the second age.
    Also, Dol Guldur was the original fortress of Sauron, it was only after the white council attacked (deciding vote coming from Saruman) that Sauron retreated to Barad-Dur.

Hippolord's Avatar Campidoctor

Hmmm, wanna try this oiut but every time i open up the file, i then extract all of it's contens to C:/Program Files/Sega/Medieval II Total War/Mods/Third Age Total War

I the go into my game and go into the campaing, but all the factions are same as before, it made absoelutly no changes./ Which is odd considering that adding in a new file, you would expect it to do something! But nothng maybe it's just ignoring it?

Would really like to try this.

Suggestions?

I wanna lie, lie to myself, myself and someone else. Cause it’s the lying that hurts, and it’s the hurt that lets me know I’m alive.”

Quote Originally Posted by Archaon View Post
    I'll do the faction standings tonight the problem is all the new factions dont have an opinion on all other factions at game start, and original faction do not have an opinion on the new factions yet. It definitely needs fixing!

@Renown, email me any special requirements here otherwise I'll generically make good love good but hate evil.

oh and i agree with Meneldil about Minhiriat, they are said to have far less than 5000 people in their realm and al of which are in hiding. It is said that the entire area is desolate and they no longer follow Sauron sine their dissapointment in the second age.
    Also, Dol Guldur was the original fortress of Sauron, it was only after the white council attacked (deciding vote coming from Saruman) that Sauron retreated to Barad-Dur.
    Oh i'm well aware of Sauron's location.

His purpose in being in Barad-dur rather then some unnamed area is to enable his defeat, and the general destruction of the evil alliance. Having him be attackable, in effect, allows you to 'destroy' the one ring so to speak. Then all that remains are the evil factions with no Pope to guide them.

I've read EVERYTHING I can find on the men of middle earth. Right now we've got 9 different type of man that aren't included in the original game.

These are the Snowmen of Forochel/forodwraith. N of Evendim in the snowy wastes.
    There are the coastal dwellers to the W of Rohan, in a supposedly gondorian province, they are numerous, and by all accounts barbaric. They hold no allegiances.

There are the men who still live in Framsburg (an ancient city/town occupied by those who became the kingdom of rohan), there are the scattered villages down around Gladden FIelds and the Anduin. Thats 4.

You've got the remaining desolate area of Rhovanion.

You've also got the uncertain area of Dorwinion. We know that a) Avari elves ONCE lived there. b) Telari elves visited for a short time. and C) men occupied it throughout a period in the 3rd age. We know it exists, but not much more than that.

You've also got Khand, and Umbar. Two different areas. I won't even go into what we do and do not know about Rhun and the Easterlings.

We finally know that the first evil men of Rhudaur retreated into 3 areas. a) the SW - to Minhiriath and the forests of Eryn Voryn. b) N to Angmar, and c) South to areas occupied by the remains of cardolan's people, and to dunlend.

Those in Angmar were eventually defeated - but not all killed. Those in Minhiriath faded into the woods, but no where does it mention that they stopped worshipping melkor. All we really know is they were never of the Edain, those who lived there before the evil men of Rhudaur came. They weren't elf-friends. They, admittedly are few and far inbetwen. And their current faction roster doesn't quite show where I'm going with them - which is a wooded peoples.

Remember Tolkien talks a lot about desolate lands, but most of his writings refer to how desolate the ENVIRONMENT was, not the people. Tolkien wrote about the evil's of industrialization etc etc, and used the destruction of the environment to represent that... Eryn Voryn was one of two bastions of greenery/forests left in the West. The other was the Old Forest (where Tom bombadil lived).

What we know of all these people i've mentioned is that they had no real form of organized government. We can presume that they de-evolved in social structure to the sort of african style tribes. I've searched all the tolkien books I know and can find no references that limit the people to '5000' in minhiriath. But even if I could i'd keep them at this stage.

Theres two reasons, other then knowing that evil was stirring in angmar, and the war never reached Lindon, we know nothing about the events in the NW. (other then saruman and the shire).

Fact is, we need a presence in the N, simply for gameplay reasons. It's not too much of a stretch to include the men, if bree-land is there. It's even less of a stretch to include Angmar - it is documented that the rangers had been keeping the NW land's free from the evil that still flowed from there.

Ceasar Gubius's Avatar Ducenarius

Hey, cool looking submod ! Any picsor previews though, I don't don't want to download this without more detailed descriptions, and visuals.. Hey, seeing is believing, lol ...

Any new banners?
    RTR RULES!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ceasar Gubius View Post
    Hey, cool looking submod ! Any picsor previews though, I don't don't want to download this without more detailed descriptions, and visuals.. Hey, seeing is believing, lol ...

Any new banners?
    Banner's and the new visuals/graphics for the factions are in the works by Tokus*Maximus (he also does the official ones for TATW)

I'm working on modding the game, i keep forgetting to take screenshots. I'm in the process of adding in 3 elven units now (2 for both Lindon/Rivendell and 1 for both Woodland/lothlorien)

As to the guy above having installation troubles... if its not overwriting ANYTHING that means you didn't extract it properly. I did say in the readme to "EXTRACT THE CONTENTS" not the file in itself, does that make sense?

right now it sounds like you just dumped the DAC folder into your mod folder, and that wont work. You need to place the Data folder in your mod folder.

Ceasar Gubius's Avatar Ducenarius

Well, one idea pertaining to skinning and armor difference between Lorien and Mirkwood.

1. Lorien has White/Light Grey clothing, while giveing some of there units more lighter armor.

2. Mirkwood has more Green/Dark Green units that almost have no armor on. But make them superior in Ambushes and Archery...

This may seem petty, but it would definately be nice to see a difference between the two factions... Thanks
    RTR RULES!!!!

Subzeroplainzero's Avatar Civis

hey, i've just thought.. are those tribe-ish type dudes in this submod? You know, the ones in the book that guide the rohan army through the shortcut in the forest to reach minas-tirith. My lotr lore is rubbish, please forgive me....
    Mummy I love you

you mean the druadan I believe. And no, as of now they are not. And yes, I plan to get them in the game at a later date. (I'm going to need a modeller to work on all the ideas I have, and that is NOT my area

Subzeroplainzero's Avatar Civis

those are the guys yes!
    Could u possibly use the vanilla Mesoamericans? at least temporally. They're probably not a million miles away from their culture. I might be stepping deep into the realm of lore wrongness by saying that though..
    Mummy I love you

they'd really be a unit for rohan, or gondor to use. And seeing as how they aren't critical, i wouldn't just throw them in the mix on a whim.

Sorry mate!

Black_Nebula's Avatar Tiro

OK, i know this is a WIP, just thought I'd post my findings. Playing as Duindain Rangers.
    --Bandits selectable at start screen.
    --Stat map movement a little low
    --No starting men except in capital, Ranger post rebelled, Horar taken by Bree in turn five, now at war with Bree. Allied to everyone, turn 25 Outstanding Rep with all.
    --All culture is Northmen, built everything possible, no troops, had to turn all settlements to low taxes because of no garrisons. City growth now booming. No troop upkeep so at turn 25 I have 70K

Suggestions: Maybe have Ranger Generals as foot troops. It would be nice while still in early beta to run off it's own BAT file. Also noticed in your READ ME, you say to extract all files into TATW, but first folder is labeled DAC, will cause problems for some people. Good start, gonna give another faction a go, and I'll report back
    "I find your lack of faith...disturbing" -DV